Ipswich Town vs Rotherham Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bounce back?

Ipswich Win
60%
Rotherham Win
40%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 10

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Rotherham Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:37 am

To be honest I think everyone is entitled to their opinion on the strength of our squad, what gets me is after an Eleven game unbeaten run not a lot was being said, now though it's as if the last Two results count for everything and all the good early season work means nothing, it's Two bad performances/Results nothing more, players out or not fit didn't help, key players and yes the stand ins aren't as strong but we are still in pole position so the fallout today (and not necessarily on here) is a absolute joke, f**king idiots booing last night ! No doubt they had paid their quid to get in to their once yearly game and think they have a right, prats today questioning PL, honestly it beggars belief, be upset with the last couple of games by all means but Jesus this Bipolar reaction is really something else.

Let's remember most teams that come down struggle initially, we have hit the ground running against most people's expectation to get to the top of the table when most thought we would find it tough, Lambert warned to expect dips and everyone said "yes ok Paul, right behind you" but the minute we get that first dip panic sets in and doubt starts, clearly we should win every game and play well every game, its not possible, it's the fans that will make this into something it isn't, some can't wait to revel in adversity, saw it last night before the game had even finished, we all hurt for God's sake but the over reaction from some is tragic. People need to remember Rotherham actualky and finished ahead of us last season and kept the nucleus of their squad so who's started the season better ? I really despair sometimes, god forbid we don't win Saturday.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:04 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:37 am
To be honest I think everyone is entitled to their opinion on the strength of our squad, what gets me is after an Eleven game unbeaten run not a lot was being said, now though it's as if the last Two results count for everything and all the good early season work means nothing, it's Two bad performances/Results nothing more, players out or not fit didn't help, key players and yes the stand ins aren't as strong but we are still in pole position so the fallout today (and not necessarily on here) is a absolute joke, f**king idiots booing last night ! No doubt they had paid their quid to get in to their once yearly game and think they have a right, prats today questioning PL, honestly it beggars belief, be upset with the last couple of games by all means but Jesus this Bipolar reaction is really something else.

Let's remember most teams that come down struggle initially, we have hit the ground running against most people's expectation to get to the top of the table when most thought we would find it tough, Lambert warned to expect dips and everyone said "yes ok Paul, right behind you" but the minute we get that first dip panic sets in and doubt starts, clearly we should win every game and play well every game, its not possible, it's the fans that will make this into something it isn't, some can't wait to revel in adversity, saw it last night before the game had even finished, we all hurt for God's sake but the over reaction from some is tragic. People need to remember Rotherham actualky and finished ahead of us last season and kept the nucleus of their squad so who's started the season better ? I really despair sometimes, god forbid we don't win Saturday.
Sanity in a crazy world. Thanks Mike

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:48 pm

Well I hardly post on here any more, for a number of reasons, but here's my two-penneth..........

1) I don't think we are in a crisis, but it's extremely worrying that we have played really poorly for 2 games in a row

2) People keep banging on about how much better football we are playing since MM went. I don't go to every game but I do go to most home games and I also saw the Accrington game on Sky. The last 2 games I would say that for the majority of time we play exactly the same way as under MM - defensively fragile, no playing the ball on the floor from defence through midfield into attack, no, all we do is HOOF

3) Paul Lambert is NOT The Messiah - he's a very naughty boy who cannot make up his mind about what team he wants to play or the formation to be used. He has got both totally wrong in the last 2 games

4) We certainly do not have the strongest squad in the division, and that's borne out by people on here always saying that we have injuries and we miss a certain player when he's not available. If our squad was the strongest in the division it wouldn't matter

5) Like somebody else said, it's all about managing expectations. I'm not overly concerned at the moment because I honestly think that until 2 games ago we massively over-achieved. I said at the start of the season that I expected us to finish in the bottom third of the table and I have seen nothing so far to change my mind.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:42 pm

Well lets put it this way, if we cant beat Saarfend on Saturday :shock: then we are definitely in a crisis, :lol: :lol: :lol: , but I think the blip will be over this weekend, and we can start to go on a decent run again, but we must play the formation that gave us this first run of 11 unbeaten, COYB get stuck in, every one to play like Wolfie Mr Cool, smash em up, and stop this fooking hoof ball, especially when the opposition has 10ft high defenders, play it quick passing on the ground, use the skills you have been taught,

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:31 pm

Is it fair to say, Downe's absence in the midfield has had an impact? Also, does anyone else agree with Rossi in that we're no better than when MM was in charge?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:51 pm

I said last night Downes absence has been a big loss and he is a must starter every game, he's been our best player all season, that is not to say we would have won last night but going forward he needs to be in there.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:52 pm

rossi wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:48 pm
Well I hardly post on here any more, for a number of reasons, but here's my two-penneth..........

1) I don't think we are in a crisis, but it's extremely worrying that we have played really poorly for 2 games in a row

2) People keep banging on about how much better football we are playing since MM went. I don't go to every game but I do go to most home games and I also saw the Accrington game on Sky. The last 2 games I would say that for the majority of time we play exactly the same way as under MM - defensively fragile, no playing the ball on the floor from defence through midfield into attack, no, all we do is HOOF

3) Paul Lambert is NOT The Messiah - he's a very naughty boy who cannot make up his mind about what team he wants to play or the formation to be used. He has got both totally wrong in the last 2 games

4) We certainly do not have the strongest squad in the division, and that's borne out by people on here always saying that we have injuries and we miss a certain player when he's not available. If our squad was the strongest in the division it wouldn't matter

5) Like somebody else said, it's all about managing expectations. I'm not overly concerned at the moment because I honestly think that until 2 games ago we massively over-achieved. I said at the start of the season that I expected us to finish in the bottom third of the table and I have seen nothing so far to change my mind.
Nice post Rossi and nice to see your opinions again, i for 1 have certainly missed them. Please carry on as your view is very much welcomed :wink:

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:58 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:51 pm
I said last night Downes absence has been a big loss and he is a must starter every game, he's been our best player all season, that is not to say we would have won last night but going forward he needs to be in there.
We were out muscled last night. Just like Accrington, they hassled us, fouled us, roughed us up and closed us down. We ended up resorting to hooball and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Wilson was especially culpable for that. I think teams will see we are a bit soft. and will now target us with foul after foul... 12 in the first half last night! We couldn't deal with it. Keane always received the ball with his back to goal and there was no one to lay it off to. If he is going to be a target man, he needs someone to lay the ball to, then he can spin off the defender and get into space. But he doesn't do that. We missed Norwoods hassling last night and he is a must starter every game along with Downes. We shouldn't have started Skuse in defence, Woolfy should have started and Skuse could have stayed in midfield...… Just my thought.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:07 pm

You are totally correct with all of that and is exactly how it was, adding one thing and it's not an excuse but man the Ref again was woeful and let them get away with so much in terms of fouls etc, time wasting from 20mins in too, they didn't even need to do it such was our poor showing.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:18 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:07 pm
You are totally correct with all of that and is exactly how it was, adding one thing and it's not an excuse but man the Ref again was woeful and let them get away with so much in terms of fouls etc, time wasting from 20mins in too, they didn't even need to do it such was our poor showing.
Yeah, they were awful at time wasting..... Plus the foul on Young in second half, just in front of me was dreadful!!!!!

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:59 pm

Bluemike wrote:

Let's remember most teams that come down struggle initially, we have hit the ground running against most people's expectation to get to the top of the table when most thought we would find it tough, Lambert warned to expect dips and everyone said "yes ok Paul, right behind you" but the minute we get that first dip panic sets in and doubt starts, clearly we should win every game and play well every game, its not possible, it's the fans that will make this into something it isn't, some can't wait to revel in adversity, saw it last night before the game had even finished, we all hurt for God's sake but the over reaction from some is tragic. People need to remember Rotherham actualky and finished ahead of us last season

and kept the nucleus of their squad so who's started the season better ? I really despair sometimes, god forbid we don't win Saturday.

Well said Mike totally agree, I would like to see Georgiou start a few games he has looked good when coming on much better than Judge who has been very disappointing so far, a good win on Saturday will get us back on track my only worry is the new manager they will up there game we need a fast start.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:00 pm

number 9 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:31 pm
Is it fair to say, Downe's absence in the midfield has had an impact? Also, does anyone else agree with Rossi in that we're no better than when MM was in charge?
That's ridiculous how some are using injuries as an excuse for our poor performances. Our squad is BIG ENOUGH in terms of numbers and apparently is the 'best in the league'.

Seen number of people on social media talking about injuries. 'We had missed 4 players at Accrington', OK I get that but it ain't an excuse for the awful performance. Now out of those 4 missing on Sunday 2 came back last night (Vincent-Young, Wilson). But still I've seen number of messages and posts on social media using Downes' absence as a serious thing regarding the Rotherham game. I don't get that, I completely disagree with this and it's ridiculous. Tell you why. Flynn Downes out and has our world collapsed? No chance to find an alternative when you have such a big squad?

Moreover, if Skuse hadn't played last night then people would have been using his absence as an excuse too. That would have been something like: 'We badly missed Skuse as he's been our outstanding performer blah blah blah, he is so reliable blah blah blah'. And that Skuse was at fault with BOTH GOALS, especially the second one. But if he hadn't played people would have had yet another excuse.

Skuse and Chambers' mistakes were match deciding moments.

As for how we play I can see plenty of mccarthyism in the 3rd tier of English football from us, from 'the best squad in the league'. I like Lambert, I'm firmly behind him but I don't like what he is currently doing with us. Lack of ideas and we swiftly resort to the direct football/hoofball. He doesn't know his best 11, he has no pattern of play, no style. Lot of changes every game. What's next at Southend? Dozzell and Judge to be recalled into the team? Donacien and Kenlock to be given a chance? Nothing will surprise me.

Our opening line-up in each game is anybodys guess.

There are no excuses at all for the under par/awful last two matches.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:17 pm

Absolutely right...one player should not make that much of a difference. Funny thing is the whole team has played shyte the last two games. I think when the whole team is sh*t, there's only one person to blame. Yes, I'm afraid that's Lambert. He has said we're miles away from where he wants us to be. I'm starting to believe him. :astroll:

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:52 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:58 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:51 pm
We were out muscled last night. Just like Accrington, they hassled us, fouled us, roughed us up and closed us down. We ended up resorting to hooball and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Wilson was especially culpable for that. I think teams will see we are a bit soft. and will now target us with foul after foul... 12 in the first half last night! We couldn't deal with it. Keane always received the ball with his back to goal and there was no one to lay it off to. If he is going to be a target man, he needs someone to lay the ball to, then he can spin off the defender and get into space. But he doesn't do that. We missed Norwoods hassling last night and he is a must starter every game along with Downes. We shouldn't have started Skuse in defence, Woolfy should have started and Skuse could have stayed in midfield...… Just my thought.
b
Spot on!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:20 pm

rossi wrote:
Well I hardly post on here any more,......
But all the forum members know when you will though eh? More predictable than Santa Claus. :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:26 pm

Lost my internet last night so couldn’t post on here or anywhere else. Which was probably a good thing, in light of what id watched at PR last night.

My feelings are, I wasn’t surprised that we lost. I think I’d alluded 8n the ore match thread ( this one lol), that we were in for a very tough game. And so it proved to be the case.

My thoughts are as follow.

1) There are far too many changes to team game on game. It breaks up our continuity and doesn’t help partnerships develop. I think Lambert is overthinking the squad rotation . It is after all league one, sodding Champions League.

2) Maybe in hIs efforts to rotate our large squad, he ends up playing players not in their best positions. Skuse in a three man defence? Huws , wide left? In many ways last nights hoof and hope smacked of the dire McCarthy game plan. More in than in a moment.

3) Rotherham: let’s not disrespect their game plan last night. It worked a bloody treat. What was it?
From why I saw it was clear they worked their socks off especially in that first half, at closing us down almost on the edge of our box. They targeted our creative players and had nearly always two maybe three players on either Huws, or KVY. We couldn’t get the ball out of defence ( ie in the methodical , steady build from the back that we always try to do). They’d done their homework on us. Town were left with only one option it seems , Hoof it and hope. Problem was their 7ft defence coped with everything we chucked in the air...or more to the point Keane, won f*ck all all night long , which meant Jackson was ploughing a lone furrow up front.

4) The cyclical side to The Millers. They basically bullied us off the ball all night long. Tackles were extremely OTT on occasions, as were the so called “ shoulder charges” . They have ( as are a number of other league teams), now identifying that we have a soft underbelly. And the big factor (last night), was the refs willingness to let these offences go unchecked. Rotherham got away with murder effectively. Their game plane was to bully us, disrupt our flow and pattern of play either legally or illegally and the ref was practically complicit in this game plan.

5) Town ‘s failure to take their chances when we do create them. We could have been 2-0 up before Rotherham got their first goal. I’ve seen it time and again this season, we just do not punish teams when we do have the upper hand.

So in short we have lost our way a bit in recent weeks :

Too many changes to the team game on game. Squad rotation is Utter bollox at this level iMO. It creates a lack of continuity IMO.

We are too easily outmuscled by opponents and rarely win the individual battles.

We fail time and again to take our chances and end up paying for that.

Key players WERE missed. Norwood, Downes, KVY.

Southend will be just as difficult as Acc Stanley and Rotherham. There is no easy game in this division. Perhaps Town have been lulled into a false sense of “we are better than everything in this division”? I don’t know. But I do know if we don’t win the battle and the right to play our game, we will get beaten by the so called lesser teams.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:47 pm

Bluemike wrote:

Not sure I can agree with all you have said Mike,how do people make their point about what they have just seen? The booing came from the SBR so not the £1 fans. None of the players were targeted during the game the disquiet was saved for after the game unlike previous seasons. I personally don’t see the point of it but as usual we have a big crowd and the chance to entice some of those part timers to invest in a tkt and the players bottle it.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:59 pm

It's been a while since I posted: I forgot my log in details! 😅

I've read all the posts here with interest. The last two games have been disappointing for sure but we are still, in effect, top of the league (assuming we get something from our game in hand).

If we'd been offered that before the season started I think we'd all have been chuffed.

My reservations about PL were given plenty of airtime last season but I do think he is a very good manager at this level. I hope he stops tinkering around with the team though.

Before the season started I thought we'd be in the shake up for a playoff place. I now think that is the minimum we will get and I'm not overly concerned by the current, hopefully temporary, blip.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:17 pm

bluejacko wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:47 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Not sure I can agree with all you have said Mike,how do people make their point about what they have just seen? The booing came from the SBR so not the £1 fans. None of the players were targeted during the game the disquiet was saved for after the game unlike previous seasons. I personally don’t see the point of it but as usual we have a big crowd and the chance to entice some of those part timers to invest in a tkt and the players bottle it.
There were plenty of one game casuals in the SBR stand last night mate, trust me, but it matters not where they came from, for a team in second to be booed is bloody stupid, just my opinion.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:18 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:59 pm
It's been a while since I posted: I forgot my log in details! 😅

I've read all the posts here with interest. The last two games have been disappointing for sure but we are still, in effect, top of the league (assuming we get something from our game in hand).

If we'd been offered that before the season started I think we'd all have been chuffed.

My reservations about PL were given plenty of airtime last season but I do think he is a very good manager at this level. I hope he stops tinkering around with the team though.

Before the season started I thought we'd be in the shake up for a playoff place. I now think that is the minimum we will get and I'm not overly concerned by the current, hopefully temporary, blip.
Here Here.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:05 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:51 am
We aren't in crisis Andy, .....

That’s what I said.... !

Quote;

“I don’t think we’re in crisis yet, (for God’s sake we’re still 2nd in the table), but there are worrying signs that something is missing.”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:24 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:05 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:51 am
We aren't in crisis Andy, .....

That’s what I said.... !

Quote;

“I don’t think we’re in crisis yet, (for God’s sake we’re still 2nd in the table), but there are worrying signs that something is missing.”
Yeah I know, I was agreeing with you but I didn't make it very clear the way I wrote it, sorry.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:21 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:20 pm
rossi wrote:
But all the forum members know when you will though eh? More predictable than Santa Claus. :lol:
f**king love it marko!
Petition for his profile pic to be the caption contest.... I have a few lined up.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:37 pm

He knows when you are sleeping, he knows when you’re awake. He knows if you’ve been good or bad, so be good for goodness sake...

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:38 pm

To return to the topic....
I thought the first half wasn't that bad. We started brightly and dominated the first 10 minutes. Unfortunately they scored with their first real attack. I thought we stayed calm and tried to play. The lack of a holding striker hampered us as did the opposition tactic of dragging us down every time we got past them.

That was the problem. On a slippery pitch we needed to run at them. But they used mostly foul means to stop us. Consequently we hardly managed a shot but I still felt fairly confident at half time that we would go on to win.

Gifting them a goal at the start if the second half finished it. From then on we just hoofed it to their giant defenders. We actually we first to most second balls in the first half. That certainly changed in the second half.

We lacked width throughout and didn't play well. But the first half wasn't that bad. A very disappointing result and overall they deserved to win. The worrying aspects to me are how fragile our defence looked (I still maintain some previous clean sheets were more a result of poor finishing than good defending), how few shots we managed and how uncomfortable we look on the ball. If any team closes us down we lack the skill to cope. Hence resorting to goofball or, as in the case of the second goal, getting caught in possession. I still think part of that is what I've always complained sbout; Rotherham not only closed us down quickly, but when in possession they moved into space. We didn't. You can't pass to people who aren't there. That's why we pass sideways and backwards so much. But I prefer that to conceding possession with aimless hoofing.

We aren't a great team. I reckon we probably only have a couple of players who could make it in the Championship....and that doesn't make us a promotion-winning side in mh opibion. But we aren't awful. If we had scored in the first 10 minutes yesterday I reckon we would have won.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:46 pm

You wait until the Wycombe game, Chambo and Wolfie, will know all about physical when that huge centre forward of theirs barges his way through like a tank :lol: :lol: :lol: cant wait, he must go around 18 to 20 stone

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:54 am

Bloody hell! :shock:

Think you’re correct there, Ash.

Luke better have his weetabix that morning.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:48 pm

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:21 pm
marko69 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:20 pm
rossi wrote:
f**king love it marko!
Petition for his profile pic to be the caption contest.... I have a few lined up.
Pathetic - both of you - and 2 of the reasons I don't often post anymore

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:05 pm

Awsome. I take great satifcation knowing that :lol: so long and ta ta. Until we lose again..... then I’m sure the stain shall return to breed doom and gloom.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:46 pm

But as long as there’s not a major over hype over what happened, because it happens, there’s no point getting down about it because it’s going to happen.

"It’s just a matter of keeping a level head with it and going through and turning it back around again
Lamberts comments, spot on, could have been written for this place.