Southend United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Back to winning ways????

Southend Win
19%
Ipswich Win
69%
Draw
13%

Total votes: 16

number 9

Re: Southend United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by number 9 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:47 am

I’m not overly excited about beating Southend, but obviously a win is a win. It’s time to stop pissing around and take this league by the balls. It’s a bit like Chinese food: you have to have the sweet & sour pork balls or you’ll be hungry again half hour later. That’s where I am as an Ipswich fan...give me more egg rolls & those little Asian tortillas for the Peking duck. Yep, I’m not satisfied with soggy shrimp rolls. COYB!

Saint, what’s up with the big tits emoji? Is that who you identify as??

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:58 am

Well the Chinese was lovely, capped a perfect day, on a serious note despite their lowly league position yesterday was never going to be the stroll some seem to think it should be, new manager syndrome, wounded pride from being hit for Seven, big club in town, etc etc but by and large we handled it well for the most part, we had way more of the play, loads more attempts at goal and when we did actually play it on the deck we looked a cut above them, however we are going to have to do the ugly stuff at times too and we went head to head with them, they are a weak team yes but still need to be beaten, as someone said you can only beat what's in front of you and we did it comfortably. Crisis what crisis, top top top top top of league !!!!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:25 am

saint jude wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:24 am
Congrats also to the English Rugby team on their victory. Must have provided a lot of pride and honor with what reads one of the most enthralling performances ever. Credit where it's due they could prove worthy winners when the competition is finalized in a short time.
Bla fkn bla bla bla bla fkn bla bla bla bla bla bla

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:26 am

No gloom n doom merchants on here I see! Why’s that I wonder??🤔

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:55 am

marko69 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:25 am
saint jude wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:24 am
Congrats also to the English Rugby team on their victory. Must have provided a lot of pride and honor with what reads one of the most enthralling performances ever. Credit where it's due they could prove worthy winners when the competition is finalized in a short time.

Not sure what this is doing on a match thread but England were f’n awesome yesterday and based on what I’ve just seen from Wales & South Africa next Saturday’s game should be a walk in the park...... ..

...but of course we all know it won’t be.

Hard luck Frosty but I’m sure you’ll agree England were magnificent and the best team won.

Back on topic, it’s a shame we’ve got no game again next Saturday but at least we’ve a game on Tuesday to look forward to. We should also be much fresher than Rochdale who have two games in four days.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:11 pm

Spotland here we come.........

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:31 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:12 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:52 pm
Been on top for most of the game, good to see Norwood on the scoresheet, lucky PL tinkered with the team.
You wanted the same line up as me in 352 so don't try and get smart with your tinkering. :?
Yeah I did which required Lambert to tinker with the starting line-up from Wednesday which he did, something some arent happy with him doing.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:11 pm

A good result, much needed. A couple of decent goals too. Conditions aren't great with a strong end-to-end wind which made me wonder why we didn't play it on the floor more in the first half.

An early let-off with a home "goal" disallowed as it was offside. A well crafted goal.soon after put us in front.

I don't know why but I just didn't trust our defence in the air yesterday. As I said the conditions didn't make it easy, and it wasn't til late on that a cross was allowed to drop to give them a consolation goal But whereas on Wednesday at 1-0 down at half time i misttakenly felt we would pull it back, yesterday I equally mistakenly felt a bit worried when 1 up at half time.

A second well worked goal (with s bit of a lucky bounce in the build up) settled the matter, and as Hallam saud it was great to see Jackson get a deserved goal having created the first 2 and run himself ragged all afternoon.

Not a totally inspiring performance but Nolan came on and worked well alongside Downes. After the narrowness of Wednesday's midfield we played with more width yesterday, but the wide players (Edwards particularly) weren't very effective.

We will miss Downes next mstch; even more so if Skuse hasn't recovered. If KVY hasn't recovered, I wonder if Lambert would try Woolfy at right back. He filled in ok yesterday but wont get forward in the same way.

We looked like a decent enough league 1 side which i suppose is what we are. In fairness it's what I wanted - to be playing at a level where we can compete.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:29 pm

It was possibly my hardest ever away day out due to the severe train delays. All because of the floodings in the Staffordshire area. The train would stop along the way a few times. Had a change in London and I was late at Roots Hall as I entered the ground after 35 minutes of the game. Return journey even longer due to the further delays as it looked like the train was going to terminate at Nuneaton. Came back home every late night. Really painful and mentally exhausting journey both ways.

Can't comment then about first 35 minutes of the game. What I'll take from this day is 3 points as that was a minimum target.
I can't say that it was a really inspiring performance in the second half. Yes we can only beat what is being put in front of us but the poor quality of the opponent was an important factor. I certainly don't think that the players' arses had been kicked up after last 2 defeats. We didn't play much different. What set us apart was that we were clinical in the box when strikers knew what to do. At the end we turned out to be too strong for them.
I didn't like the bit between the start of the second half and 70 minutes of the game and there were a few displeased people around me. We allowed Southend for too much and fortunately they lacked quality in the box and our defence stood strong.

Too many sideways long passes for my liking that didn't cause any threat.

Norwood and Jackson are be my MOTM for yesterday for having done their jobs in the box and been at the right place at the right time. Once we score a second goal and put the game to bed it's far more comfortable to watch.

Most disappointing thing yesterday? Edwards. I'm not a manager or football coach but I can't understand why Lambert persists with him. Saw Norwood twice uttering his displeasure in the second half as Edwards failed to deliver him. What can Edwards offer that Georgiou can't? Every time the latter plays there is always something in him. A desire to take on defenders, to run forward, to deliver the ball towards strikers. Edwards can't do this so why keeping him in the team? The only good thing he did in the 2nd half was his shot that went narrowly wide.

Back to the top of the league and let's enjoy it while we can. I still have some reservations as to how we play but not going to say that we won't stay high up in the table, not going to moan either I'll just see how it pans out for us. Sunderland for example would love to be our position.

Yesterday was yet another brutal reality check how far we've fallen in the football ladder. 3rd tier match to watch at the tiny away end, poor facilities, very stinky and old toilet. 3rd league's reality yet again ! But massive Town travelling party was a really nice aspect.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:49 pm

Two additional comments: I think that's the first time I've witnessed us win away. But I don't get to many away games.

I went on the coach as I was told parking could be very diffucult; it also looked as if train services could have replacement buses increasing journey times by 45 minutes. It's the first time in many years I've been to an away game on a coach....And despite the atmosphere at the match, the coach was absolutely silent both ways. Very strange. I'm sure there used to be loads of singing on the bus.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:05 pm

Well hopefully Lambert might tinker a bit more to give Georgiou a go instead of Edwards.
I quite like the 4-4-2, but, as Andy said, the wide players were our weakest.

The irony is that the 3-5-2 picks our best players, but if we go for a 4-4-2 we’d have to drop a central midfielder and a CB. I can see, say, Skuse and Wilson making way for two wide players, which could be rough on them.

Having Norwood and Downes back makes a big difference. Our two most tenacious players. We’ve got masses of midfielders, but only Downes has that bit of mongrel in him.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:17 pm

Edwards is always our weakest player, Rowe started the season well but since his ear infection hasn't been so effective, for me Georgiou is better than both of them and deserves a try.

Downes has been our best player all season and was a big miss in the Two games we lost which is why I found it odd at the comment that we can't cite injuries as a reason for defeats because it can be very relevant, same with Norwood, a big big player for us and not just his goals, he puts himself about so well and Jackson is a different player when not asked to play the lone striker role, he was my MOTM yesterday after creating Two, scoring One and making a real nuisance of himself all game. I can see Nolan and Huws being the CM pairing at Rochdale should Skuse not make it. One final thing is I hope Holy is restored to our goal as for me Norris was too hesitate to come for crosses and is so left footed he hooked every goal kick terribly.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:21 pm

Andym wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:49 pm
Two additional comments: I think that's the first time I've witnessed us win away. But I don't get to many away games.

I went on the coach as I was told parking could be very diffucult; it also looked as if train services could have replacement buses increasing journey times by 45 minutes. It's the first time in many years I've been to an away game on a coach....And despite the atmosphere at the match, the coach was absolutely silent both ways. Very strange. I'm sure there used to be loads of singing on the bus.
it used to be part of the whole day out Andym aye, great fun with some beers under the seats., in Wolves case it was usually a lot better going to the match than coming back. :D
glad you had an away win to watch.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:48 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:17 pm
Edwards is always our weakest player, Rowe started the season well but since his ear infection hasn't been so effective, for me Georgiou is better than both of them and deserves a try.

Downes has been our best player all season and was a big miss in the Two games we lost which is why I found it odd at the comment that we can't cite injuries as a reason for defeats because it can be very relevant, same with Norwood, a big big player for us and not just his goals, he puts himself about so well and Jackson is a different player when not asked to play the lone striker role, he was my MOTM yesterday after creating Two, scoring One and making a real nuisance of himself all game. I can see Nolan and Huws being the CM pairing at Rochdale should Skuse not make it. One final thing is I hope Holy is restored to our goal as for me Norris was too hesitate to come for crosses and is so left footed he hooked every goal kick terribly.
Was Holy injured or was he dropped?

From all the previous reports I got the impression he had been playing well.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:58 pm

Bluemike wrote:
One final thing is I hope Holy is restored to our goal as for me Norris was too hesitate to come for crosses and is so left footed he hooked every goal kick terribly.
I don't think the swirling wind helped as high balls we moving all over the place. But I agree, I think Holy is probably better over all.

I'm always a bit wary of loan signings as to how much pressure is applied by the parent club to give them game time. I don't know - someone here might - whether it's possible for it to be written into the contract for them to play a certain number of games, or maybe a threat of ending the loan?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:36 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:48 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Was Holy injured or was he dropped?

From all the previous reports I got the impression he had been playing well.
He was rotated lol as Lambert wanted to see Norris in action and felt he needed a game.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:37 pm

Andym wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:58 pm
Bluemike wrote:
One final thing is I hope Holy is restored to our goal as for me Norris was too hesitate to come for crosses and is so left footed he hooked every goal kick terribly.
I don't think the swirling wind helped as high balls we moving all over the place. But I agree, I think Holy is probably better over all.

I'm always a bit wary of loan signings as to how much pressure is applied by the parent club to give them game time. I don't know - someone here might - whether it's possible for it to be written into the contract for them to play a certain number of games, or maybe a threat of ending the loan?
That's a good point Andy, maybe he needs to play a few as per the loan agreement. I just dont want Holy getting fed up.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:24 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:37 pm
Andym wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:58 pm
Bluemike wrote:

That's a good point Andy, maybe he needs to play a few as per the loan agreement. I just dont want Holy getting fed up.
Georgiou is also a loanee. Doesn’t sound as if Spurs are putting pressure on us to play him. I think he’s only here until January, so maybe they’ve/we’ve decided that’s it and we won’t take it further. I think he deserves a start, though.

Judge looked sharper of the bench - so maybe he’ll get a start and now he’s got to be more disciplined by staying out wide ( if we stick with 4-4-2).

As long as everyone’s available and we can sort out the wide positions - I can see us using 4-4-2 more often. I like Downes and Nolan as a central two in midfield. It’s just the wide midfield positions, because in a 3-5-2, KVY and Garbutt are better wide players than Edwards and Rowe.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:00 am

Judge did look better Saturday for the first time this season but I guess he's had a wake up call losing his starting spot. I get the distinct feeling Georgiou will be gone in January. Like you Downes & Nolan are an excellent Midfield pair, the only thing I am against in a 4-4-2 is that we lose a fair bit from KVY who's big strength is bringing the ball out of defence and going on those marauding runs, 2 goals already speaks volumes , as a flat RB he is still solid defensively but it kinda stops there, I guess we can't have everything lol.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:08 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:00 am
Judge did look better Saturday for the first time this season but I guess he's had a wake up call losing his starting spot. I get the distinct feeling Georgiou will be gone in January. Like you Downes & Nolan are an excellent Midfield pair, the only thing I am against in a 4-4-2 is that we lose a fair bit from KVY who's big strength is bringing the ball out of defence and going on those marauding runs, 2 goals already speaks volumes , as a flat RB he is still solid defensively but it kinda stops there, I guess we can't have everything lol.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Georgiou go in January, but maybe Lambert is thinking Sears and Lankester will be fit by then. We’ve actually got a big squad and it could need trimming, especially with players coming back. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Sears pencilled in at wide left come the New Year.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:41 am

Good thinking tang. Ive been thinking for a while , “ who’s going to be sent out on loan or sold in Jan”. The squad IS too big and partly why PL keeps rotating it I think , to give players a run out. But if Georgiou is not returning to Spurs , for Gods sake play him in place of that lightweight Edwards!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:44 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:00 am

Why not play this for instance

Woolfie Chambo Watson Garbutt

KVY. Downes, Nolan, Georgiou

Jackson. Norwood.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:14 pm

I prefer woolfy at CB tbh, he covered well but I don't want us to start this square pegs in round holes which is what we would be doing with him and KVY.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:10 pm

We’re likely to have a square pin - round hole situation because I’m not sure KVY will be back for the next game. Bit worrying going off injured twice. Likely he’s got an injury which might take some time.

I’d go with Woolfy at RB. Yes, he’s a CB... but Donacien is not really a RB. Lambert said so himself when he first came in. Lambert doesn’t fancy him, whereas Woolfy seems comfortable at first team level and maybe can be a solid RB.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:18 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:14 pm
I prefer woolfy at CB tbh, he covered well but I don't want us to start this square pegs in round holes which is what we would be doing with him and KVY.
So who would you play at right back / wing back ?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:21 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:10 pm
We’re likely to have a square pin - round hole situation because I’m not sure KVY will be back for the next game. Bit worrying going off injured twice. Likely he’s got an injury which might take some time.

I’d go with Woolfy at RB. Yes, he’s a CB... but Donacien is not really a RB. Lambert said so himself when he first came in. Lambert doesn’t fancy him, whereas Woolfy seems comfortable at first team level and maybe can be a solid RB.

I concur with that tang.
As for KVY I don’t think he was fit. Groin injuries, hamstring injuries etc are buggers to sort out and take time . I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s out for a week or two. Problem is it keeps recurring if you don’t strength it right or for long enough . We’ll see. Of course I’d love him to be fit for next game but suspect he will be rested for couple of games.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:25 pm

You misunderstand me, i would for the odd game as cover but i thought we were talking about when we change formation for games?

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:46 pm

Hard luck Frosty but I’m sure you’ll agree England were magnificent and the best team won.

No question Andy, the most complete display and comprehensive win I have ever seen from an English side.

If England play at the same intensity against the Boks, then you should have a great weekend coming up!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:59 am

On the news this morning. Victory parade organised for next Tuesday! :lol: ONLY Engerland!!

Isn’t that the largest jinx ever? Those Springboks will be pulling out all the stops to prevent that from happening.

Good luck to cough COUGH, Ahhchh, COUGH, both countries.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:49 am

On what i saw last weekend we will kill them