Stick or twist ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Stick or twist ?

Post by hallamblue » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:42 am

Question for you all:

Should Lambert stick with Norris for a run of games, or resume with Holy at the next game ?

My thoughts on this are......,

whilst Holy has done nothing wrong, would it not be beneficial for the Club and the individual players concerned to both be up to speed with regards to competitive game time ? That way we would have two very capable GK’s who have real competitive match time.

Thoughts guys?

Shed on tour

Re: Stick or twist ?

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:04 pm

Never been a fan of switching goalkeepers on a regular basis.
Being a old git always reminds me of when England tried this when Shilton and Clemence were competing for the number 1 shirt. For me you have to decide on your first choice keeper and unless he has a dramatic loss of form or injury stick by him.
I would go with Holy as he is our player and will be here next season whilst Norris won’t and imo has looked the more convincing of the two.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:11 pm

Holy all day long, not been at fault for any goal, numerous clean sheets too, Norris didn't particularly inspire me tbh, nothing major just crap kicking and hesitant at crosses into the box, was like having Bart back, bit of a f*ck up from Lambert in my opinion.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:56 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:04 pm

I would go with Holy as he is our player and will be here next season whilst Norris won’t and imo has looked the more convincing of the two.
Agreed

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:46 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:11 pm
Holy all day long, not been at fault for any goal, numerous clean sheets too, Norris didn't particularly inspire me tbh, nothing major just crap kicking and hesitant at crosses into the box, was like having Bart back, bit of a f*ck up from Lambert in my opinion.
I think he could blamed for the first against Accrington, that looping cross traveled a long way and was headed on the 6 yard box line. He should of come and claimed that one, also the first against Rotherham, he went with his feet instead of his hands.

A goalkeeper his size should really command his area from the goal line to the penalty spot.
Last edited by derick_ipsw on Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:48 pm

The answer seems provided without further analysis. Holy seems to gain rave reviews and has become now established as the team's #1 player in that position. Both goalkeepers are tall but I'd be skeptical about sticking with a player that many don't seem to favor. Wouldn't hurt to play Norris in non-essential games to provide him a try out but given the position the club's at in the league and the importance of each fixture we now feature in it makes sense to go with the most tested and reliable.

If the club are points clear at the summit with a comfortable lead regards future games then by all means allow Norris a chance on a more regular basis but as before the lead is too close to perhaps jeopardize the situation. Probably feature in the FA Cup or those EFL trophy things we've been involved in where there's a certain sense of apathy. But for now Holy should be retained in all significant matters where there's a real objective to play for.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:21 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:46 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:11 pm
I think he could blamed for the first against Accrington, that looping cross traveled a long way and was headed on the 6 yard box line. He should of come and claimed that one, also the first against Rotherham, he went with his feet instead of his hands.

A goalkeeper his size should really command his area from the goal line to the penalty spot.
Ok you could possibly make an argument for the first at Accrington but I don't attach any blame for the Rotherham one but maybe that's just me, there was a player being outmuscled easily in the build up and he was unsighted for the shot. For me he has command his box excellently, something we haven't had for years.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:07 pm

I would have stuck with Holy all along. I have no issue with Norris but why change a winning formula (injuries etc permitting)? Players need to play together to build confidence and understanding. Having said all that, I run a telecoms business and not a football team so what do i know!? 😬

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:17 pm

Lambert out

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:23 pm

Saw this thread much earlier today and instantly thought about my testicle. Twisted when I was 22 years old......, sorest thing ever experienced..... then the surgeons made it "stick' with an operation. HOLY fk it was sore......., still on topic with the "Holy".

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:39 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:23 pm
Saw this thread much earlier today and instantly thought about my testicle. Twisted when I was 22 years old......, sorest thing ever experienced..... then the surgeons made it "stick' with an operation. HOLY fk it was sore......., still on topic with the "Holy".
I guess they call that a bollAck! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:47 am

I think it’s more; boll-worse than child birth-ack...... but fear Hallam (or another woman) logging on and saying, “How the fk would you know 🤬 :twisted: :evil: child birth is the WORST PAIN EVERRRRR!”

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:54 am

Holy

Not Bart

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:36 am

I’d go with Holy as, unless his confidence is shot and he’s making mistakes, I don’t think it’s good to change GK’s. He’s done fine mostly, although I think he needs to improve his distribution. He overcooks too many ball forward.

TBH - Holy or Norris, I think there’s more vital players in the team than the GK’s. Norwood, Downes, KVY and Jackson are automatic starters for me and can’t be easily replaced.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:17 pm

Agree with those 4 being auto starters, I can see Nolan falling into that category too soon.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:30 am

I’d definitely stick with Holy given his performances so far which include 7 clean sheets, I can’t believe he was dropped/blamed for two consecutive defeats. My thoughts were that he was either carrying a minor injury or maybe an undisclosed disciplinary action ? ...who knows.

The only thing I do know is that GK confidence is paramount and dropping him won’t help with that. Neither do I like to see GK rotation, it rarely works as the relationship and understanding between GK and defence is crucial to get the best out of all.