Rochdale AFC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Another 3 pointer?

Rochdale Win
25%
Ipswich Win
55%
Draw
20%

Total votes: 20

Frosty
Forum Owner

Rochdale AFC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:05 am

Image Rochdale AFC vs Ipswich Town Image

Tuesday 5th November 2019 – 19:45

Spotland Stadium

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

Back Where We Belong......

Town's season continues to stumble from one crisis to another as our Sixth away win of the campaign saw us return to the summit of league One last weekend. A brace from the fit again James Norwood and another strike from Kayden Jackson did the damage at lowly Southend as others around us, notably Peterborough Utd, faltered ensuring we regained top spot. It was crucial we got back to winning ways following a couple of disappointing results and while most expected the win these type of games still have to be won, all too often we have seen the effect the arrival of a new manager can have on a struggling side but thankfully we put in a solid and professional performance to get the job done and in doing so calm the nerves of the edgy element of our fan base who had started to wonder if everything was going to turn sour.

While the performance wasnt vintage Town by any means I do think there was some very good individual performances from the boys in Blue (or should I say the boys in Barcelona shirts), the aforementioned Norwood & Jackson took most of the plaudits and rightly so as they both moved on to the Seven goal mark for the season, that's a combined total of Fourteen from Fourteen games and if they can keep that ratio going all season Forty Four goals from those Two would go a long way to achieving our season objective. I was so pleased for Jackson who showed that in the right formation with the right partner he is a player at this level and can hit the target, add to that his Two assists and they are starting to look like a proper partnership, there is little doubt they enjoy player together and the team can only benefit from it, so well done to Kayden on his MOTM performance.

The benefit of having the returning Flynn Downes in the line up was clear for all to see as once again he had a really good game and put some much needed bite back into the Midfield which had maybe been lacking in the last Two games, I thought he started superbly and carried it on throughout, Jon Nolan came on and added some steadiness and composure to the Midfield too, not to mention some more goal threat and he too can be really pleased with his efforts, I think these Four players are crucial to Town's chances going forward, sadly Downes picked up his Fifth yellow card of the season and will have to sit out the trip to Rochdale which is a blow but hopefully not one we can't overcome.

A couple of other positives was the showing of Luke Woolfenden, not only at his customary CB but also at RB where he was called upon to cover for the injured Kane Vincent-Young, while not ideal it does give us another option in that department, the other plus for me was seeing Alan judge resembling something like a footballer at long last, he looked hungry, on the pace and actually up for it at last, maybe losing his spot in the starting Eleven is no bad thing as he really should be reveling at this level. So all in all a decent if unspectacular performance from Town, yes there will be harder tests to come for sure, especially in the next few weeks but you can only beat the opposition on any given day.

The Dream Come's True......

I've always joked about how I would love to visit Spotland on a cold, damp winter's night to cheer on the boys and it is actually about to come true, me and my big mouth !!! Rochdale is our next port of call where we will be looking to make it Seven wins on the road already and I see no reason why we can't achieve it. "The Dale" are currently your typical mid table side, siting in Fourteenth place, Six points off the play offs and Seven above the drop zone, their season can still go either way and while they were not among the pres season fancied sides they are capable of pulling off surprise results although so far the top teams in this division have put them to the sword with Peterborough winning 6-0, Wycombe 3-0 and Sunderland 2-1 all claiming easy wins. Their squad does have a couple of familiar names in it with ex canary Aaron Wilbraham & ex Manchester Utd defender Paul McShane still plying their trade although the former was shown a Red card last time out and will be suspended for this one, Striker Ian Henderson has been banging in the goals with Eight from Fifteen and could be the one to watch here, either way I see Town having too much in the locker to slip up here and another Three points could be winging their way back to Suffolk come Tuesday night. Away win for me with Norwood & Jackson hopefully causing mayhem again. COYB'S.

The Opposition – Rochdale AFC

Rochdale A.F.C. was formed in 1907. After World War I the Football League was expanded and the club unsuccessfully applied to join. In 1921 Rochdale was recommended to be included in the new Third Division North, and played their first League game at home against Accrington Stanley on 27 August 1921, winning 6–3. However, this first season ended with the club at the bottom of the League, having to reapply for membership.

The club's first promotion came in 1969, earned by a team largely assembled by manager Bob Stokoe, though it was Stokoe's assistant, Len Richley who steered Rochdale to promotion after Stokoe moved to Carlisle United. In the early stages of the 1969–70 season, Rochdale topped the Third Division table, sparking hopes of a second successive promotion. The team's form significantly declined around Christmas 1969, however, and a failure to halt the team's decline led to the dismissal of Richley. He was succeeded by d*ck Conner, who stabilised the club's form and steered them to a 9th-place finish. The following three seasons saw the club finish in the lower reaches of the Third Division table, narrowly avoiding relegation each time. The board viewed merely surviving in the Third Division as unacceptable and replaced Conner with Walter Joyce for the 1973–74 season. This move failed to pay off, and Rochdale was relegated after a campaign in which they won only 2 of 46 league games.

The club finished bottom of the league in 1977–78, but was successful in their bid for re-election. Southport, which had finished one place above Rochdale, was demoted instead and replaced by Wigan Athletic. Rochdale finished bottom for a second time in 1979–80, but was again re-elected – by one vote over Altrincham. In 1989–90 the club reached the fifth round of the FA Cup for the first time, but lost 1–0 to Crystal Palace.

Steve Parkin was appointed as manager in 1998, a period in which the success of the club improved significantly with the emergence of talented players such as Gary Jones, Clive Platt, Grant Holt and Kevin Townson.

Parkin left to take over at Barnsley in November 2001 with Rochdale second in the Third Division. This gained him little popularity with the fans, especially when he took Gary Jones with him. John Hollins was appointed as his successor and the club finished the season in 5th place, entering the promotion play-offs where they lost to Rushden & Diamonds in the semi-final.

The club reached the fifth round of the FA Cup again the following season, but lost 3–1 at Wolves. Hollins was replaced by Paul Simpson in 2002, and Alan Buckley, appointed and sacked as manager in 2003. Parkin then returned to the club as manager, until being sacked in December 2006.

Parkin's replacement, Keith Hill, who was initially appointed as caretaker manager, became arguably the club's most successful manager to date. Hill and his assistant manager David Flitcroft led Rochdale to a 5th-place finish in 2007–08, securing a play-off place. After beating Darlington 5–4 on penalties in the semi-final, Rochdale reached Wembley for the first time in their history. Despite taking the lead in the match, they lost the final 3–2 to Stockport County.

In the 2008–09 season, Rochdale reached the League Two play-offs for the second consecutive season, finishing 6th in the table on 70 points. Season 2009–10 ended a 41-year wait for promotion with a win over Northampton Town as Rochdale secured the third automatic promotion spot. Rochdale continued their progression under Keith Hill, now with the club for 3 years, with a secured spot in League One in 2010–11. In 2010–11 Rochdale finished 9th in league one with 68 points, equalling their highest league finish since 1969–70.

On 1 June 2011 manager Keith Hill joined Championship club Barnsley. Former Manchester City apprentice and youth coach Steve Eyre was confirmed as Hill's replacement on 12 June 2011. Eyre's spell at Spotland did not last long, as he was sacked after 27 competitive games in charge, the team having recorded just 4 league wins in this time. Eyre's last game was a 0–0 draw against Yeovil, in which Yeovil's keeper Rene Gilmartin played the second half with a dislocated finger. Director of youth Chris Beech was then appointed as caretaker manager. Under Beech's first game in charge, the team drew 1–1 with Preston North End with an equaliser from Daniel Bogdanović who scored on his debut. Beech's 5 games in charge ended with a 5–1 defeat by Stevenage and a 3–0 defeat to bottom of league Wycombe Wanderers.

On 24 January 2012, Accrington Stanley's John Coleman was confirmed manager as the successor to Steve Eyre and left his club where he had been for more than a decade. John Coleman's first match in charge was a 3–0 win at home over Bury in the local derby. However, on 21 April, Rochdale lost 2–1 to Chesterfield resulting in relegation from League One after two years in the league. John Coleman's and Jimmy Bell's contracts were terminated by Rochdale on 21 January 2013 following a poor run in form. In January 2013, Keith Hill, previously in charge of Rochdale from 2007 to 2011, was appointed as the new manager.

Rochdale were promoted to League One on 26 April 2014, after beating Cheltenham Town 2–0. Playing at the club's highest level the 2014–15 season was the club's most successful yet. Apart from a couple of games, they remained in the top half of the league all season, eventually finishing in 8th place, their highest league placing. Notable results were a 2–1 win away to Bradford City and home wins against Preston North End and Chesterfield. The club reached the fourth round of the FA Cup, and despite being eliminated by Premier League opposition, remained in contention for promotion to the Championship.

Rochdale played 36 consecutive seasons in the Football League's bottom division from 1974 to 2010, the longest time any team has been in the bottom division of the League, with some even derisively calling it "the Rochdale Division". The club has the lowest average position of all the clubs which have existed continuously in the Football League since its expansion to four divisions in 1921–22 (76th) and since its expansion to 92 clubs in 1950–51 (79th). Additionally, the club holds the distinction of having played the most seasons in the English Football League without either reaching the top two tiers (91 seasons as of 2018-19) or being relegated to the National League.

Last season Rochdale finished in 16th place on the League table.

The Manager – Brian Barry-Murphy

Form Guide

Rochdale Last 5 Matches – currently in place with points

5 Oct Wimbledon 3 - 2 Rochdale

12 Oct Rochdale 2 - 1 Accrington

19 Oct Bolton 1 - 3 Rochdale

22 Oct Rochdale 2 - 0 Milton Keynes

26 Oct Oxford Utd 3 - 0 Rochdale

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – currently in 1st place with 30 points

28 Sep Ipswich Town 4 - 1 Tranmere

5 Oct Fleetwood 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

20 Oct Accrington 2 - 0 Ipswich Town

23 Oct Ipswich Town 0 - 2 Rotherham

26 Oct Southend Utd 1 - 3 Ipswich Town

Match Referee – Scott Oldham

ROCHDALE AFC 0 IPSWICH TOWN 1

Shed on tour

Re: Rochdale AFC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:05 am

Will be my first visit to Spotland or as it is called now the Crown Oil Arena.
Hopefully after the game will be driving back to Essex with at least another point in the bag. Haven’t had many draws so far this season but have a feeling this could end up as one.
Rochdale 1 Town 1

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:58 am

At the ground itself, there are two bars to choose from, Studds & the Ratcliffe Arms. Studds is located underneath the Pearl Street Stand and is worth a visit if only to sample the large range of tasty pies & pasties on offer at £2.80 (which are also available inside the ground). No real ales here, but the bar has lots of memorabilia/pictures on the walls and some lovely looking barmaids which softens the blow. The Ratcliffe Arms is located at the car park entrance to the ground, on Sandy Lane. This pub has SKY TV, real ale, hot food and is family friendly. On my last visit, this pub had a mixture of home and away fans. 

If you arrive early, the Cemetery Hotel, located at the bottom of Sandy Lane and on the corner with Bury Road, is also worth a visit. This comfortable historic pub has a range of real ales on offer and again friendly clientele. Beer is available inside the ground to away fans, albeit just bottles of lager.
Liking the sound of the barmaids, that could swing it.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:51 pm

I'll be happy with 1-1.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:41 am

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:51 pm
I'll be happy with 1-1.
Is that one on one with a barmaid, Massey?

The Cemetery Hotel on the corner of Bury Road? What a feckin cheery place.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:09 am

Who voted on a Rochdale win are you kidding me. This is food and drink essentially, if you can't overcome opposition such as this you don't deserve to be challenging for a promotion opportunity. Small obscure teams like this often prove problematic for us however. It's straight forward enough, we have to be stronger in just about every department. Outstanding opportunity for three points can't see how the team can mess this one up.

Rochdale 1 Visitors 4

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:09 am

Bloody hell SJ that's the kiss of death, and if I were a betting man I'm gonna say Andym voted on the Rochdale win on this occasion or Possibly Rossi but we haven't lost recently so I doubt he's visited lately.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:32 am

A typical game where we will not be outplayed skill wise but potentially muscled out of it. If we match them on the physical front we will have moments where our better technical ability will come to the fore. Nothing ever should be taken for granted because this is professional sport and if your not at it you will get beat more often than not.

Close away win for me.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:31 am

Roch 0 Town 1

Think PL’s tactics will win out and also our away form is pretty awesome

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:10 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:41 am
MasseyFerguson wrote:
I'll be happy with 1-1.

At my age, I should be so lucky!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:12 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:10 pm
marko69 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:41 am
MasseyFerguson wrote:
I'll be happy with 1-1.

At my age, I should be so lucky!
Cemetery close by, buddy. All good 👍

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:50 pm

Here’s hoping they don’t bury us, in the wake of yet more postponements!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Results pretty good for us today....

Peterborough LOST (take that Ferguson you fuckwit)

Fleetwood LOST ( Take that Barton you c*ck)

Oxford DREW

Coventry DREW

Wycombe WON

Sunderland WON (scraped a 1-0 at home to Southend)

So a win Tuesday will see us back on top with a game in hand.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:51 pm

A lot of positives from todays games, we really need to take advantage and win our next game. Hope Lambert can get some fire in their bellies and ensure we get something from this match.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:46 am

If we’re serious about getting automatic promotion, then we must get a reasonable set of wins in a block of games ie 3 wins out of 5 or 6-7 out of 10. With the odd draw or loss thrown in. Yesterday, was largely good for us - mostly good to see Posh lose. For me, I see Posh as the biggest threat, but it’s still relatively early days.
I’m not sure how decent Wycombe are as a genuine promotion contender. Sometimes you see a team come out of the blocks really well and then implode. I’m hoping Wycombe, Fleetwood and Oxford are those kinds of teams, but who would have thought Luton would storm the league last season? I’ve got a sneaky feeling that Rotherham will put in a strong run and push the automatic spots.
3 points of top place with 2 games in hand - I wouldn’t say we can guarantee getting six points with those two extra games. 4 points from 6 would be reasonable. I wouldn’t look at those games in hand as points in the bag. Last season, I think Sunderland had quite a few games in hand and never capitalised on them.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:42 am

We need to approach every game with the Liverpool attitude of never accepting defeat and fighting for every point as a matter of life or death. At some stage of the season we will get hit either by injuries or loss of form so it’s important to pile up the points whenever we can and not become complacent especially when playing fixtures again lowly ranked opposition like Accrington Stanley and Rochdale etc. So far this season we’ve done well to stay at or near the top of the table, hopefully we can keep this going as I’d hate to see us drop back into the play off places where there are six teams between 4th - 9th on either 25 or 26 points. The problem with games in hand is that they lull you into a false sense of security when so often in reality those points can quickly evaporate.

I really don’t want to see us spend another season in this league as it’s all too easy to miss out and get stuck as per Sunderland and Pompey.

For me three points at Rochdale are essential, anything less would be a disappointment especially given our poor home form which is the one area where we need significant improvement.

I’m sticking with my Prediction League prediction of a 0-1 win for Town.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:06 pm

What concerns me is that we always seem to play like sh*t after an extended break. A win is the only acceptable outcome for me. We need to take advantage of the extra game, and cement our position on top...because if we muck about and start losing again (and we drop into the playoff zone),...there'll be a lot of unhappy campers at Portman Road.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:33 pm

No Downes. Possibly no Skuse. No KVY.

I think that will have a big impact, can see us losing 2-0.

On the plus side, my predictions are always hopelessly wrong.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:52 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:06 pm
A win is the only acceptable outcome for me.
BINGO.

If fact, if Rochdale win, Lambo can get himself to fk........, and come to Hibs after Feckherbottom is emptied.

4 votes for the ROCHDALE win. Should be ashamed of yerselves.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:20 am

One of those 'awkward' games isn't it though. Little obscure opposition with about as much history as Norwich, to all intents and purposes it's an away win no questions asked. Can't be many sh*tting themselves about a trip to Spotland or wherever they're at and not taking a result from it.

Just frustrated to an extent that there's a wait of sorts before the game as miss the usual weekend involvement and post-game comment and all. Realize the Bury situation can't be helped but there's a void where action should be.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:46 am

Your beloved bucket rakin', knuckle draggin', mingin' bastards fi Glasgow annihilated Hibs yesterday, Saint? Where is the void?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:52 am

I really wish you wouldn’t sit on that fence so much marko, just tell it how it really is sometimes ! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:05 pm

🔵⚪️ Tickets for Town's trip to Rochdale tomorrow evening will be available on cash turnstiles, with no price increase.

It will also be unreserved seating for Blues supporters at The Crown Oil Arena.

Town have currently sold 800 of the 900 allocation. #itfc

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:23 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:52 pm
number 9 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:06 pm
A win is the only acceptable outcome for me.
BINGO.

If fact, if Rochdale win, Lambo can get himself to fk........, and come to Hibs after Feckherbottom is emptied.

4 votes for the ROCHDALE win. Should be ashamed of yerselves.
Now voting for a home so F**k you :D

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:28 pm

2 up top and we will be fine hopefully.

Hope all those going to Spotland have something to cheer about

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:17 pm

Anyone off here going ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:25 pm

Marvinbay1973 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:28 pm
Putting this trip into context for those dedicated fans travelling from the actual Ipswich area on a crappy Tuesday night, (I've checked the weather) ------> Spotland is roughly 230 miles away from Ipswich. It's 243 miles from my front door. If I was going, I'd only be travelling 13 miles extra. Its making me feel like a proper lazy bstd fan, Marv.

But......., to be honest......, my match reports would be way too frustrating.
"Ref blew for half time and the queue for the pies was three miles long. Had a numb pinky finger, needed a bovril to stick it in. And the bogs? Dont get me started on the toilet situation. Guy next to me getting drips on my Nikes, FFS! Way too tightly packed.
At full time, plenty singing, good banter... great night."

"Marko? What about the football?"

"Oh yeah. Was good. Decent formation. Well done, lads."

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:40 pm

LOL Marko, I will try to make my views on the game as interesting as yours but doubt I will get close.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:05 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:25 pm
Marvinbay1973 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:28 pm
Putting this trip into context for those dedicated fans travelling from the actual Ipswich area on a crappy Tuesday night, (I've checked the weather) ------> Spotland is roughly 230 miles away from Ipswich. It's 243 miles from my front door. If I was going, I'd only be travelling 13 miles extra. Its making me feel like a proper lazy bstd fan, Marv.

But......., to be honest......, my match reports would be way too frustrating.
"Ref blew for half time and the queue for the pies was three miles long. Had a numb pinky finger, needed a bovril to stick it in. And the bogs? Dont get me started on the toilet situation. Guy next to me getting drips on my Nikes, FFS! Way too tightly packed.
At full time, plenty singing, good banter... great night."

"Marko? What about the football?"

"Oh yeah. Was good. Decent formation. Well done, lads."
Yes please Marco it will be like the alternative Queen's speech

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:57 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: oh God , I wish I could be witness to that little number 👍