Maldon & Tiptree

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Dazzz67

Maldon & Tiptree

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:25 am

Can I just say what a great win for the boys against Leyton Orient, being from that area im really pleased for them all and the fans.

Lets hope they are rewarded with a good draw, at home in the next round.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Maldon & Tiptree

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:28 am

Isn't Wayne Brown, the ex Town player their manager ? Yes great win

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:17 am

When I lived in Colchester I always followed the fortunes of Tiptree United playing then in the Essex Senior League, this was before their owner acquired Maldon Town and merged the two clubs. I was really surprised when I saw them in the draw for the First Round of the FA Cup, and to play at Leyton must have been like a local derby game. I was even more surprised to see them win especially playing at Brisbane Road.

Whilst it’s a shame to see Colchester United knocked out as a 2nd Round tie v them would have been an awesome draw for the locals, I guess next best would be a draw v Town if we can see our way past Lincoln next week.

What is unbelievable would be Maldon & Tiptree FC progressing further in the FA Cup than Ipswich Town, please don’t let this happen Town as this would really illustrate how far our football club has fallen.

You’re absolutely correct Mike, their manager is ex Town player Wayne Brown, two other ex Town players have also recently managed the club, David Wright (2015) and Kevin Horlock (2016-18).

Let’s all wish them well and hope they get a decent draw today.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:44 am

They beat my home town of Royston in last round. They won 3-1 at "our" place and we have over 1000 in the crowd! Awesome game, just a shame Royston couldn't win it.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:48 pm

Maldon & Tiptree v Grimsby Town or Newport County.

Probably not the draw they were hoping for but every chance of making the 3rd Round and a big “Pay Day” !

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:35 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:17 am
When I lived in Colchester I always followed the fortunes of Tiptree United playing then in the Essex Senior League, this was before their owner acquired Maldon Town and merged the two clubs. I was really surprised when I saw them in the draw for the First Round of the FA Cup, and to play at Leyton must have been like a local derby game. I was even more surprised to see them win especially playing at Brisbane Road.

Whilst it’s a shame to see Colchester United knocked out as a 2nd Round tie v them would have been an awesome draw for the locals, I guess next best would be a draw v Town if we can see our way past Lincoln next week.

What is unbelievable would be Maldon & Tiptree FC progressing further in the FA Cup than Ipswich Town, please don’t let this happen Town as this would really illustrate how far our football club has fallen.

You’re absolutely correct Mike, their manager is ex Town player Wayne Brown, two other ex Town players have also recently managed the club, David Wright (2015) and Kevin Horlock (2016-18).

Let’s all wish them well and hope they get a decent draw today.
yeah I lived in Tiptree for 3 yrs, think we were there roughly the same time 1977 to 1980.didn't you once say you lived in Birch on the Colchester road. I used to play darts for Tiptree United back then.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:27 pm

I lived in Lexden Colchester from 1977 to 1991. A friend of mine who lived in Tiptree first introduced me to golf, and in the early days we played at Birch Grove and Braxted Park, two small 9 hole golf courses close to Tiptree well suited to beginners. I also played at Manifold Golf Club which subsequently became Quietwaters GC and now the Five Lakes Golf Resort. As I recall Tiptree United were the top Amateur football club in the area well supported by the locals.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:11 am

I lived in Tiptree until left school in 85' Woolfie, when the Anchor press was still there, think my dad used to play footy at Tiptree FC, or go training there fir abit, went to the odd do there.

Lets hope they get through to next round, fingers and legs crossed for them all.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:13 am

Keeping the manifold flushed clear, you'll have quiet waters running through your heating pipes. Get Brendan from Edinburgh to do it? You'll have five lakes in your house.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:18 am

Dazzz67 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:11 am
I lived in Tiptree until left school in 85' Woolfie, when the Anchor press was still there, think my dad used to play footy at Tiptree FC, or go training there fir abit, went to the odd do there.

Lets hope they get through to next round, fingers and legs crossed for them all.
You know, I have never even heard of Tiptree. Sounds like a childrens tv programme town.

"Look children. Here come the Tippity Toppity tip of the Treetoppers from Tiptree."

Seriously though......, hope they get that 3rd round tie after winning v GT or NC.

'MON THE M&T FC

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:18 am

Dazzz67 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:11 am

I lived near that school, at Downton Walk, I remember the Anchor press, a few yrs back now.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:22 am

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:27 pm
I lived in Lexden Colchester from 1977 to 1991. A friend of mine who lived in Tiptree first introduced me to golf, and in the early days we played at Birch Grove and Braxted Park, two small 9 hole golf courses close to Tiptree well suited to beginners. I also played at Manifold Golf Club which subsequently became Quietwaters GC and now the Five Lakes Golf Resort. As I recall Tiptree United were the top Amateur football club in the area well supported by the locals.
used to fish at Braxted Park, that's some wall around that place aye, only golf I ever played was at the Foresters that way. and at Danbury, cant remember the name of it tho,

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:53 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:22 am
Charnwood wrote:
used to fish at Braxted Park, that's some wall around that place aye, only golf I ever played was at the Foresters that way. and at Danbury, cant remember the name of it tho,

The golf course at Danbury is The Warren GC, nearly 40 years ago I had the pleasure of playing there with a Mr Bobby Robson long before he was Knighted. A very memorable day.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:54 am

Bit more money in the coffers.

Going to be the Beebs Friday evening match.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:04 pm

WHIT????? Charnwood? You played a round of golf with SBR? 40 years ago so you played this round when he was Ipswich Town manager. Any memorable “inside info” stories from that day.

The closest I’ve got to being with a celebrity is Tony Iommi...... true story.
Was very late to the box office for a Black Sabbath gig at Edinburgh Playhouse in 85 or 86, ((no ticket, but word on the street was a few tickets left)) ...., sprinted down Leith Street with all the leather on, bikers jacket etc , (looking damn cool!) and a girl approached and said, “You going to the sabbath gig?”
(Out of breath) “Yeah”
“Here, have a complimentary ticket.”
“Eh? Excellent!! Why!”
“Oh, I share a room at Edinburgh University halls of residence with Tony iommi’s wee cousin. We were asked to hand out tickets to people close to doors open time!”

So....... not even close to meeting or talking with Tony....., but his cousins pal gave me a free ticket. Awesome! 👏👍👌

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:38 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:04 pm
WHIT????? Charnwood? You played a round of golf with SBR? 40 years ago so you played this round when he was Ipswich Town manager. Any memorable “inside info” stories from that day.

Was very late to the box office for a Black Sabbath gig at Edinburgh Playhouse in 85 or 86, ((no ticket, but word on the street was a few tickets left)) ...., sprinted down Leith Street with all the leather on, bikers jacket etc , (looking damn cool!) and a girl approached and said, “You going to the sabbath gig?”
(Out of breath) “Yeah”
“Eh? Excellent!! Why!”
“Oh, I share a room at Edinburgh University halls of residence with Tony iommi’s wee cousin. We were asked to hand out tickets to people close to doors open time!”

So....... not even close to meeting or talking with Tony....., but his cousins pal gave me a free ticket. Awesome! 👏👍👌
Younger ones on here wont even know who Black Sabbath are. I seen them live as well, also Rush, Motorhead and Rainbow, bit disappointed with that one Bungle never even turned up. :wink:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:34 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:53 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

The golf course at Danbury is The Warren GC, nearly 40 years ago I had the pleasure of playing there with a Mr Bobby Robson long before he was Knighted. A very memorable day.
but did you beat Sir Bobby Robson,
yeah that's the one, Warren GC, was just 9 holes I think,
nearly played at that one in Maldon near the estuary, I say nearly as me and my Geordiemate were asked to leave just before Geordie was to tee off on the first hole, long story, hence we finished up playing the Foresters, Tolesbury ,Totham way if my memory has it.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:37 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:38 pm
marko69 wrote:

(Out of breath) “Yeah”
“Eh? Excellent!! Why!”

Younger ones on here wont even know who Black Sabbath are. I seen them live as well, also Rush, Motorhead and Rainbow, bit disappointed with that one Bungle never even turned up. :wink:
Not sure there are that many younger ones on here, Derrick. I think most here would have heard of all those bands and wouldn’t even now current bands. I think there’s even a couple here who are old enough to be into into Lonnie Donegan in his prime. Have to say I’m a bit young to see some of those bands you mentioned in their prime, but I’ve got a soft spot for Rush and wished I’d seen them.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:07 pm

Who's Black Sabbath? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:26 pm

Was texting a mate about two years ago and I typed out “The Sabbath” when referring to black sabbath...... the iPhone changed “the” to “red”.
To this day, he calls them Red Sabbath. Cheeky bstd.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:49 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:07 pm
Who's Black Sabbath? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
how can you not know who Black Sabbath are Mike, they were brilliant, especially Rowan, but Baldrick was my fav

Last edited by goldandblack on Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:50 pm

I'm too young

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:55 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:50 pm
I'm too young

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:39 pm

marko69 wrote:
You know Marko your question has raised doubts in my mind whether he was Town or England manager at the time. It was certainly in the early to mid 80’s but I can’t remember exactly when and it was long before the day when a smart phone would have recorded the occasion. I first met Bobby during the 1977/78 season when he was guest of honour at the opening ceremony of a branch I managed for a well known building society. I was a friend of Charlie Woods who was Bobby Robson’s assistant at the time and through him Bobby opened a number of our new branch offices as we expanded rapidly across East Anglia. On one occasion Bobby turned up to a branch with Mick Mills and the FA Cup as an unexpected bonus. Now that I do have on a photograph somewhere. On the occasion he opened our Colchester Branch and the High Street was brought to a standstill by the huge numbers who turned up to greet him. A local solicitor wrote in the local newspaper how disappointed he was that I had invited Booby Robson to perform the opening ceremony and not the Colchester United Manager Bobby Roberts, and what a small world it is as only by chance some 25yrs later Bobby Roberts became my golf playing partner in Leicestershire. Through my friendship with Charlie over the years I’ve received a number of invites to Portman Road and to the directors lounge where I was also fortunate to meet some of the players. On one occasion the Captain at the time Tony Mowbray took Charlie me and the wife out for a meal after a Tuesday Night game. I also met some other interesting people in the Portman Road Directors Lounge including Sean Bean after Town played Sheffield United in the 97 play off SF which unfortunately we Lost after a 2-2 draw on the night, with The Blades going through on the away goals rule. Somehow I managed to chat to him for the best part of 20 mins talking only about football and the match without recognising who he was. It was only when he was asked for an autograph that I enquired who he was. Me and the wife still laugh about it every time we see him on the telly.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:57 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:34 pm
Charnwood wrote:
goldandblack wrote:

nearly played at that one in Maldon near the estuary, I say nearly as me and my Geordiemate were asked to leave just before Geordie was to tee off on the first hole, long story, hence we finished up playing the Foresters, Tolesbury ,Totham way if my memory has it.

I think you must be confusing The Warren with either Birch Grove or Braxted Park which were/are both small 9 hole courses. The Warren is one of the best 18 hole golf courses in Essex and must have been established for more than 100 years with a great course and a charming club house. As I recall it wasn’t the easiest to find, but quite memorable when you did.

I don’t know about you John, but I absolutely loved my time living in Essex. I was in Galleywood for 3 yrs and Colchester for 13 yrs, I have fab memories of both and rarely missed a Town game from either location, in fact it was living in Chelmsford when I first bought a season ticket.

Back to the golf, as I recall it was an individual competition and neither of us were amongst the prize winners, sometimes nothing changes, but it was a privilege to spend time with the great man who has always been one of my idols.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:47 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:57 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

I think you must be confusing The Warren with either Birch Grove or Braxted Park which were/are both small 9 hole courses. The Warren is one of the best 18 hole golf courses in Essex and must have been established for more than 100 years with a great course and a charming club house. As I recall it wasn’t the easiest to find, but quite memorable when you did.

I don’t know about you John, but I absolutely loved my time living in Essex. I was in Galleywood for 3 yrs and Colchester for 13 yrs, I have fab memories of both and rarely missed a Town game from either location, in fact it was living in Chelmsford when I first bought a season ticket.

Back to the golf, as I recall it was an individual competition and neither of us were amongst the prize winners, sometimes nothing changes, but it was a privilege to spend time with the great man who has always been one of my idols.
your right I looked it up and it was Bunsay Golf Club,Bunsay Downs I played, it actually joins the Warren,must have been their day ticket course.
we seem to have lived parallel lives Andy, I was the licensee of the White Bear in Galleywood for some years,I also lived in Chelmsford. small world or what.
Sir Bobby was someone anyone would have been proud to meet, they don't make them like him anymore.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:44 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:47 pm
Charnwood wrote:
goldandblack wrote:

your right I looked it up and it was Bunsay Golf Club,Bunsay Downs I played, it actually joins the Warren,must have been their day ticket course.
we seem to have lived parallel lives Andy, I was the licensee of the White Bear in Galleywood for some years,I also lived in Chelmsford. small world or what.
Sir Bobby was someone anyone would have been proud to meet, they don't make them like him anymore.

Blimey John, that was my Sunday lunchtime local after playing football in Chelmer Park. I lived in Roughtons which was about 500 yards from your pub on Watchouse Lane. That’s unbelievable.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:00 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:44 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:47 pm
Charnwood wrote:

Blimey John, that was my Sunday lunchtime local after playing football in Chelmer Park. I lived in Roughtons which was about 500 yards from your pub on Watchouse Lane. That’s unbelievable.
yep its a small world, What years were you playing football in Galleywood. was that the pope and smith league,

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:19 pm

It was 1975-78, I honestly can’t remember who the league sponsor was.