Lincoln City FC vs Ipswitch Town F A Cup Replay Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Who is going through to the next round?

Licoln Win
71%
Ipswich Win
29%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 14

derick_ipsw

Re: Lincoln City FC vs Ipswitch Town F A Cup Replay Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:57 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:53 pm
To save me searching does anyone know when we won our last FA Cup game ?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:59 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:52 pm
So Coventry away twice in 6 days, can't wait
Well Mike, 3 of us called it right tonight, I’m guessing it was you, me and Frosty. ?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:03 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:57 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:53 pm
To save me searching does anyone know when we won our last FA Cup game ?
Blackpool (a) 1-2, just looked it up, almost 10 yrs ago, unbelievable.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:05 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:56 pm
January 2010 against Blackpool
First 'live' game my eldest ever went to that one when he was in Junior school.

Didn't think he would be in Uni before we won the next bloody one!! :lol: :lol:

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:09 pm

Wow I'm very surprised by this :D

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:16 pm

TODD66 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:05 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:56 pm
January 2010 against Blackpool
First 'live' game my eldest ever went to that one when he was in Junior school.

Didn't think he would be in Uni before we won the next bloody one!! :lol: :lol:
:lol: That is quite incredible.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:19 pm

Lmfao Todd... superb stat

Sounds like Holy saved us tonight, pleased for the big man

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:25 pm

Wycombe losing at home to 10 man Tranmere, I take it that some think that's them fooked with confidence and continuity then ? :lol: the night gets better

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:27 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:25 pm
Wycombe losing at home to 10 man Tranmere, I take it that some think that's them fooked with confidence and continuity then ? :lol: the night gets better

Given the similarity between the matches (1st v 18th and 2nd v 17th ) It will most certainly gives us a psychological advantage, it’s up to us to make the most of it. Most managers make great use of psychological advantage, let’s hope PL is one of them.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:37 pm

If we can manage to win our two games in hand, we will be 10points ahead of third place, and have a better GD. That’s getting close to unassailable going into the second half of the season. But I’m not counting my chickens yet ...... 🤞🤞

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:01 am

https://twitter.com/ITFCTID/status/1197280276071751681

Happy Days ..... Judgey scores with 20secs left of normal time.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:45 am

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:59 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:52 pm
So Coventry away twice in 6 days, can't wait
Well Mike, 3 of us called it right tonight, I’m guessing it was you, me and Frosty. ?
Yep, but then thats what I always select mate. :D

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:56 am

I thought they'd beat us, simple as. Didn't expect to win and although appears we made hard work of it progress is an end result. Got some payback for that defeat a year or two back, but a first FA Cup win if correct in near ten years is in all truth a shameful statistic.

Saw the line-up and thought it were a capable selection. 6,000 would seem a commendable attendance, maybe the home team were expecting to turn us over like before. Judge saves the day and hell knows what would have occurred had it gone into overtime, doesn't bear thinking about. Right now focus is on the league and keeping momentum. Will the team make the third round, depends on the line-up and attitude that Lambert and players deploy when the time arises.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:39 am

Just came back. Very long day as I travelled over there straight after work with the other northern Blue.

An unexpected win given almost entire team change but on paper this squad particularly midfield and attack still looked strong.

First half was nothing short of woeful. Two pub teams playing each other. We were very lucky on 15 min as Akinde shot wide from about 13-14 yards. Simple shot on target seemed a formality but he somehow failed to do so.

Town played with the horrible pattern which was never going to be fruitful. Backwards passes and then launching a long ball forward. Unbearable to watch, proper s**tfest. No service from the entire midfield therefore poor Keane had no chance on his own. Completely isolated from the rest of the team.
There was no attempt at all to hit them on the break. They comfortably dealt with our long balls and always had a time to come back and regroup. Very similar to what we had to watch in the last few years.

Nsiala needs a mention as his positioning was fine so was a couple of good interceptions but when it came to distribute the ball ... oh dear ! He gave the ball away at least three times but we somehow dodged a punishment. Moreover his backpasses towards Holy were unconvincing and the latter had to react in a flash.
Kenlock sluggish throughout would offer their winger a lot of space at times.

Lincoln ought to have been 1-0 up at half time as sorry Ipswich hardly threatened them.

Something must have been said by Lambert as we changed the approach after the break. We plainly abandoned those awful first half 'tactics' and tried to operate more with the ball. In a nutshell we played OK without hurting them whereas Holy was tested a few times by Lincoln forwards. However every time when called upon he did his job impeccably. Very, very reliable.

Certainly an improvement from Town but we looked clueless in their box and lack of second striker was a problem.
Judge and Georgiou found it hard to win one v one's but they both seemed far more active. Mind you, even Dozzell improved in the second half.

Despite an improvement Vickers in the Lincoln goal remained relatively untroubled unlike Holy. Two weak shots from Huws from about 20 yards was all we offered.

An introduction of El Mizouni for the injured McGavin made us even more lively. Holy saved us again as 10 minutes from time as he parried a very good shot from the edge of our box. The defence did less mistakes in the second half apart from Kenlock who gave them lot of space again. He seemed quite desperate to link up with Georgiou but he certainly disregarded his defensive duties.

Last minute brought yet another stunning save by Holy and a couple of minutes later the payback for that disgusting and embarrassing performance nearly 3 years ago. Georgiou's low cross found Judge in the box and Vickers had no chance to save the shot.

Deserved win? I wouldn't say so considering our first half incompetence and the job Holy had to do in the second half but win is a win and we also showed an improvement after the break.

A few words about some players.
Holy our MOTM without a shadow of doubt and I can't understand why he has been dropped from the league action.

Donacien.... probably his best ever performance for us.

Wilson ...very solid in defence

McGavin was impressive and never scared of anything despite his young age and lack of experience.

Georgiou .... I've been banging for a while that he should get a chance in the league instead of ineffective Edwards. OK he may not have won a one on one against a Lincoln full-back but he set up the goal for us and I'll keep saying what I've been saying about him.

Judge .... very poor in the first half and completely different in the second goal. Duly rewarded with the goal for his improvement. In honesty though vast majority of the players improved after the break.

Kenlock.... sorry to say but he was our worst player in my opinion.

I'm personally glad that we punished them in exactly the same way they did almost 3 years ago as that night had been a horror. But we have to thank Holy as he looked so reliable and confident.

A cup win is by far the biggest positive of the day plus some individual displays especially those in the second half. Can't say that our entire performance was good but again all what matters after this match is a cup win.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:50 am

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:39 am
Just came back. Very long day as I travelled over there straight after work with the other northern Blue.

An unexpected win given almost entire team change but on paper this squad particularly midfield and attack still looked strong.

First half was nothing short of woeful. Two pub teams playing each other. We were very lucky on 15 min as Akinde shot wide from about 13-14 yards. Simple shot on target seemed a formality but he somehow failed to do so.

Town played with the horrible pattern which was never going to be fruitful. Backwards passes and then launching a long ball forward. Unbearable to watch, proper s**tfest. No service from the entire midfield therefore poor Keane had no chance on his own. Completely isolated from the rest of the team.
There was no attempt at all to hit them on the break. They comfortably dealt with our long balls and always had a time to come back and regroup. Very similar to what we had to watch in the last few years.

Nsiala needs a mention as his positioning was fine so was a couple of good interceptions but when it came to distribute the ball ... oh dear ! He gave the ball away at least three times but we somehow dodged a punishment. Moreover his backpasses towards Holy were unconvincing and the latter had to react in a flash.
Kenlock sluggish throughout would offer their winger a lot of space at times.

Lincoln ought to have been 1-0 up at half time as sorry Ipswich hardly threatened them.

Something must have been said by Lambert as we changed the approach after the break. We plainly abandoned those awful first half 'tactics' and tried to operate more with the ball. In a nutshell we played OK without hurting them whereas Holy was tested a few times by Lincoln forwards. However every time when called upon he did his job impeccably. Very, very reliable.

Certainly an improvement from Town but we looked clueless in their box and lack of second striker was a problem.
Judge and Georgiou found it hard to win one v one's but they both seemed far more active. Mind you, even Dozzell improved in the second half.

Despite an improvement Vickers in the Lincoln goal remained relatively untroubled unlike Holy. Two weak shots from Huws from about 20 yards was all we offered.

An introduction of El Mizouni for the injured McGavin made us even more lively. Holy saved us again as 10 minutes from time as he parried a very good shot from the edge of our box. The defence did less mistakes in the second half apart from Kenlock who gave them lot of space again. He seemed quite desperate to link up with Georgiou but he certainly disregarded his defensive duties.

Last minute brought yet another stunning save by Holy and a couple of minutes later the payback for that disgusting and embarrassing performance nearly 3 years ago. Georgiou's low cross found Judge in the box and Vickers had no chance to save the shot.

Deserved win? I wouldn't say so considering our first half incompetence and the job Holy had to do in the second half but win is a win and we also showed an improvement after the break.

A few words about some players.
Holy our MOTM without a shadow of doubt and I can't understand why he has been dropped from the league action.

Donacien.... probably his best ever performance for us.

Wilson ...very solid in defence

McGavin was impressive and never scared of anything despite his young age and lack of experience.

Georgiou .... I've been banging for a while that he should get a chance in the league instead of ineffective Edwards. OK he may not have won a one on one against a Lincoln full-back but he set up the goal for us and I'll keep saying what I've been saying about him.

Judge .... very poor in the first half and completely different in the second goal. Duly rewarded with the goal for his improvement. In honesty though vast majority of the players improved after the break.

Kenlock.... sorry to say but he was our worst player in my opinion.

I'm personally glad that we punished them in exactly the same way they did almost 3 years ago as that night had been a horror. But we have to thank Holy as he looked so reliable and confident.

A cup win is by far the biggest positive of the day plus some individual displays especially those in the second half. Can't say that our entire performance was good but again all what matters after this match is a cup win.
Thanks for the report Mach, from the highlights you see Holy makes important saves. He will probably be rewarded by PL and be dropped against Blackpool. :lol:
Town do like to win 1-0 away from home.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:59 am

I bet Norris will be in goal too !!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:16 am

Norris wasn’t even on the bench, so I’d say he was held back along with the others as he’s destined to play against Blackpool.

Sounds like Holy kept us in the game last night.

Pleased to hear McGavin had another good game. Can’t see him breaking into the first team midfield picture and leap-frogging 5 or 6 midfielders so maybe a half-season loan away in January would be good for him ( when we’re out of the Cups).

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:32 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:42 pm
We have won a FA Cup game :shock: :)
Also the dreaded curse of not winning after international break is over as well. Surely this must count?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:02 pm

That was over when we won at Rochdale.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:15 pm

Glad we won though not really bothered either way except for team confidence. League is all that matters and next 3 league matches massive. COYB

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:40 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:02 pm
That was over when we won at Rochdale.
Incorrect I'm afraid, we played Rochdale after the Saturday fixture against Bury was cancelled .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:51 pm

Was still an enforced break whatever the reason, keep up.

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:28 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:27 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:25 pm

Given the similarity between the matches (1st v 18th and 2nd v 17th ) It will most certainly gives us a psychological advantage, it’s up to us to make the most of it. Most managers make great use of psychological advantage, let’s hope PL is one of them.
Would tend to agree but it really depends on what team Wycombe put out.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:58 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:51 pm
Was still an enforced break whatever the reason, keep up.
I don't need to keep up. :roll: our terrible record relates to international breaks as you well no. Just admit it you were wrong.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:16 pm

So in your world the players are affected because of a break due to an international weekend but unaffected because a game is called off ? Lmao, something is wrong yes but it sure aint me.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:36 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:16 pm
So in your world the players are affected because of a break due to an international weekend but unaffected because a game is called off ? Lmao, something is wrong yes but it sure aint me.
Not my world. The world of ITFC not winning a game for what was 20+ games after a International break. Not just any break a International break.. so when we beat Lincoln after a International break that record was broken. Not after we beat Rochdale because we had a game cancelled because Bury are not in the League anymore. A International break. I know it hurts that you were wrong but it is a fact. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:56 pm

Lol we are laughing then, every time we have a International break in the future the players can just pretend it was a cancellation instead, sorted.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:39 pm

Everyone have a break. Have what a constipated cat has......., "Have a break. Have a sh!t cat"

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:39 pm

What about our league record after an international break😂

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:21 am

2-0 at home to Millwall in 2014 was the last time we won after an "International break"