Ipswich Town vs Blackpool FC preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Any chance of First Team rustiness?

Ipswich Win
40%
Blackpool Win
20%
Draw
40%

Total votes: 15

AzzurroMark

Re: Ipswich Town vs Blackpool FC preview & Matchday Thread

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:29 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:54 am
Mark, great to see you posting fella, missed your contributions and as always a voice of sense and reason. Hope you are having a fab time out there.
Thank you Mike. Have been having a fabulous time on mine and my wife's 50th birthday trip. Bit strange waking up in the morning to get the footie results or, in the case of the Colchester game, half time scores.
Looking forward to getting back to PR as have only seen the Wimbledon game, and we all know how much of a bore-fest that 1st half (in particular) was.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:13 am

Congratulations mate, glad its going well. Going back to your previous post, you make a good and valid point, Blackpool are not unbeaten in Six games because their opponents have been "rusty", they have got the results on merit because they are a contender, drawing with Wycombe at home and beating Peterborough away is proof enough. No doubt some of the scribes are already polishing their keyboards in readiness should we slip up today and not get the win claiming the "rusty" scenario as the reason why, I prefer to watch the game, draw a conclusion and post an honest assessment, should we look off the pace and "rusty" I will say so but equally if we play really well but fail to win I will say that also. It may be disappointing but should we say only draw today I would not see it as a total disaster given how well Blackpool have done in recent weeks, that said I am very hopeful of Three points and a good performance today.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:29 am

marko69 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:36 am
Caption:

Nostalgia show presenter:

“Today we’ve got Bungle from 70s children’s show Rainbow. Welcome Bungle. What you doing these days?”
Bungle: “Well, I’ve been......
Zippy (interrupts:) Ahhh ha ha haaaaa. Bungle the bungling tw@t has landed a job at shitty Blackpool haven’t you bungle? You f**king stupid looking tit.”
George: “oh no, no no, zippy.......
Zippy: “You can Shut your stupid massive pink hippopotamus ar$e, George.”
Bungle : “This is terrible abuse zippy. Where’s Geoffrey?”
Zippy: “He’s f**king dead, Bungle. You should stop f**king around at Blackpool and watch the news you bungling tw@t.”
Presenter: “Ok..... well....., that was the cast of rainbow. Next week we’ve got Rod, Jane and Freddie.”
Zippy : “Ah ha ha haaaaaa, I was with Jane last night. She gives great......”
CUT

That is Hilarious, give yourself 6 points this week :D

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:31 am

The fact we have broken the cup hoodoo this week gives me hope we can also surprise ourselves with a win today.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:27 pm

Draw. But hope to be proved wrong with a Town win of course.

Blackpool sh*t on the road v Town can’t win after international break = the stoppable force v the movable object

Caption:

Therapist: so tell me again about this reoccurring nightmare Mr Bialkowski?

Bart: a child is scoring an easy penalty, while my old teddy bear laughs at me. I can’t see because I’ve turned into a blind ram.

Therapist: so what happens next? Does it get more surreal?

Bart: yes. a giant arrives and takes my job, and I have to go and work in a south London sh*thole.

Therapist: oh dear, we had better up the medication.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:43 pm

Ipswich’s first home league game for 31 days. The longest Town have gone without a home game since April 2001 (37)

I reckon a narrow win today. Let’s hope our early winter break has helped the lads refresh the batteries and KVY is raring to go.

Caption 1 fancy dress day is in full swing as Alan Judge look alike takes a pen against princess Lea with Chewbacca looking on.
Last edited by Ando on Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:44 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:27 pm
Draw. But hope to be proved wrong with a Town win of course.

Blackpool sh*t on the road v Town can’t win after international break = the stoppable force v the movable object

Caption:

Therapist: so tell me again about this reoccurring nightmare Mr Bialkowski?

Bart: a child is scoring an easy penalty, while my old teddy bear laughs at me. I can’t see because I’ve turned into a blind ram.

Therapist: so what happens next? Does it get more surreal?

Bart: yes. a giant arrives and takes my job, and I have to go and work in a south London sh*thole.

Therapist: oh dear, we had better up the medication.
😂😂😂

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:28 pm

Back from a fortnight away, 2 hours sleep so i hhope we are entertaining.
I can see us losing this one. Hoping I'm wrong, a convincing win would be brilliant.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:06 pm

No Norwood in the matchday squad! Am i missing something?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:10 pm

No Norwood or KVY.

That’s a big blow. Expecting KVY to be still out, but Norwood out is a surprise. Jackson up front on his own. Let’s hope we don’t hoof it up to him.

COYB.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:12 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:10 pm
No Norwood or KVY.

That’s a big blow. Expecting KVY to be still out, but Norwood out is a surprise. Jackson up front on his own. Let’s hope we don’t hoof it up to him.

COYB.
Bit concerned by that line up as a lone striker has seldom worked for us this season.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:20 pm

Jackson up front on his own it's worked so well before👎 P L keeps saying he has no strongest 11 so why not put Folami up front with Jackson.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:21 pm

Oh dear 1 up front this is going be a long afternoon. How many times do we have to say it 1 up front just does not work.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:21 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:12 pm
tangfastic wrote:
No Norwood or KVY.

COYB.
Bit concerned by that line up as a lone striker has seldom worked for us this season.
For me, Norwood is key to the team. Jackson can run the channels, but looks lost on his own when we hoof it up.

Apparently, Norwoods picked up an injury - hopefully not too serious.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:39 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:43 am
I am currently about 27 miles from Ipswich, however this is the one in Queensland, having been on a 2 month trip around NZ and Australia.
Arriving back in the UK next Saturday, i always said to myself that i would start to believe in our promotion chances if we were still occupying a top 2 spot moving into December. Despite a lack of matches, just these next 2 games against other League 1 front runners, stand between us and that target.
While i want 6 points, i wouldn't be too upset with 4. I get all the International break/ lack of match sharpness theories, but for me we are doing both Blackpool & Wycombe a disservice, based on current form/league standings, if we think that they will not give even a 'firing on all cylinders" Ipswich side a stern test. If, for whatever reason, we are not "on it" even a win might prove elusive. Hey, that is part of the fun of being a Town supporter; you never know what to expect from them at times. :lol:

Hope you popped in to see Frosty in Auckland. He’s a very good host. 👌🍷🥃🍹🍷🍻👌

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:44 pm

tangfastic wrote:
No Norwood or KVY.

COYB.
I’m even more pissed off I’ve predicted him to score the first goal instead of sticking with Luke Garbutt. ☹️

I also hate seeing a lone striker line up especially playing at home, but in Paul Lambert we have to trust, for me he’s doing well and his results speak for themselves.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:46 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:44 pm
tangfastic wrote:
No Norwood or KVY.

COYB.
I’m even more pissed off I’ve predicted him to score the first goal instead of sticking with Luke Garbutt. ☹️
Same here :). He’s like a reverse Samson now he’s got a luxurious full head of hair.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:19 pm

Well done Chambers you pr*ck

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:23 pm

Sounds eventful 2-2 Still not happy with this 1 up front.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:59 pm

The rest obviously worked and so did 1 up front until 85th min. :roll:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:02 pm

We’ve played worse and won.

I was hoping for a grand-stand finish with 20-25 mins to go - but not to be.

I would have thought we should have got the subs on earlier to try and get that winner.

Woolfy my MOTM.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:10 pm

Busy all day, just logged on to read through the serious thoughts of the day....... but JohnnyBs “Barts shrink” post is just superb. Quality comedy there 😂😂😂

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:33 pm

Well that was a really good game of Football to watch, probably the best entertainment wise this season, disappointed not to win of course but not disappointed with the Town performance against a very handy team who are bang in form, none of the rustiness that was feared prior to kick off was in evidence as Town looked alert, sharp and up for it from the start. I was a bit deflated at the line up as we know Kayden Jackson does not suit the lone striker role while the absence of James Norwood due to a knock was a bitter blow.

We actually started very well and look at it from the off, Danny Rowe given a decent chance in the opening minutes to get a shot on goal but he placed it wide of the mark. Donacien in at RB had started very well, winning Two towering headers and a couple of tackles to settle his nerves. It was Norris in the Town goal who was called upon to make the first save of the match as he got down well to save. The game wasnt even Ten minutes old and Town took the lead, the impressive Donacien getting in a cross which was headed back across goal before finding it's way to Edwards who swept it home, just the start we needed and our good start probably deserved.

Town continued in the ascendancy with the crowd in good voice but no other real chances came our way, typically with Blackpool having started to get into the game a bit more we find ourselves pegged back, a mix up in Midfield saw Skuse and another Town player seemingly tackle each other from which they broke into space, a decent cross from the Left as usual fell nicely for the visitors who made no mistake, it was a bit unfortunate given the nature of the strike but to be fair they had started to come into the game and looked lively on the counter attack.

Town didn't let the blow of the goal affect them and efforts from Edwards, Jackson and Rowe all came to nothing, at the other end Blackpool saw a cou8ple of efforts fail to find the net, One in particular was well saved by Norris in the Town goal. Town had by and large done well in the opening Forty Five although Blackpool had probably had the two best chances other than the goals, with Norris the busier of the keepers. The Town Midfield had done well with Downes again the pick while for me Right Back Donacien had been Town's best player with an assured performance, not to mention his assist in the goal.

As is often the case Town stepped it up after the break and it was a half that was to see Town have the lions share of the game, Nolan was getting more and more on the ball and looking to drive us forward, Edwards & Rowe had swapped sides and the former was looking a bit more dangerous. Donacien got an excellent early cross into the box where Edwards was close to a second but the effort was blocked, then Woolfenden spurned a chance at the far post as he put his header wide following good work from Garbutt.

It had been all Town since the restart but we got a real kick in the teeth as the ref awarded them a very dubious penalty, adjudging that Chambers had fouled the attacker, opinions from those closer to the incident are adamant he dived and cheated the officials, but the assistant made the call and they converted the spot kick, I was right up the other end and cannot make a call on it but many were irate at the decision.

Thankfully Town were not behind for long as it was then our turn to get a penalty for handball, this one was right in front of us and yes it was a handball but you still could not help but feel the ref was wanting to even things up, Garbutt making no mistake with a cool penalty kick. The noise levels were really cranked up now as Town went looking for a Third, Woolfy coming close with another header which was bundled away before Jackson looked to have given us the lead but a Blackpool boot hacked it off the line, the bias in me was convinced it was over the line but why wouldn't I LOL.

Town were looking really sharp and well on top with Nolan & Downes pulling the strings in Midfield, we even had our Two CB's making runs into the box, Garbutt & Donacien were looking solid as Full backs the the latter still looking much better than anything we have seen from him before. Blackpool were still a threat on the break and on Two or Three occasions looked to race clear but Town's defence stood firm, Jackosn again had an effort on target but it was easy pickings for Alnwick in the Blackpool goal. Town came so close to winning it in stoppage time and it would have been a repeat of Lincoln as judge clevelry flicked on Nolan's pass to see the ball palmed away from just inside the post by Alnwick.

It really was an enjoyable game, frustrating to only draw but a decent enough performance from the Boys in Blue, today's results make Tuesday's game very important as Wycombe now have a Five point lead so we need to cut it to Two. Blackpool are no mugs and are near the top of the form table for a reason, if there is a negative for me then maybe it is going with only One up front but in fairness we did enough to nick the points, Two big decisions went Blackpool's way and that is how it goes at times, I was pretty pleased with what I saw today.

Norris....(7) Two good saves at key times, no chance with the goals.

Donacien...(8) Probably his best display in a Blue shirt, good in defence, decent going forward and an assist of sorts. MOTM

Chambers...(7) Will no doubt get stick from the usual few but did little wrong and was apparently unlucky with the penalty decision.

Woolfenden....(7) Another assured showing, defended well and came close at the other end with Two headers.

Garbutt....(7) Some really good defending in the first half, blocking several attempted crosses, took his penalty with aplomb.

Edwards....(6) Was on hand to score but frustrates the hell out of me, beats his man and then is intent on beating him twice more instead of crossing.

Nolan,,,,(8) Super game from Nolo, got better and better as the game wore on,. drove us forward and tracked back in a super second half for him.

Skuse....(6) Took another couple of heavy knocks but battled manfully as you would expect.

Downes...(7) Does he fail to impress these days ? Another combative and impressive showing.

Rowe....(6) A couple of good crosses in the first half but was slow to react on a few occasions, faded a bit after the break.

Jackson....(6) Never fails to work his socks off and played the lone striker role as best he could, was involved in our first and so close to a goal after the break which looked close to being over the line.

SUBS :-

Georgiou....(5) Came on but failed to add the spark required

Keane....(4) Did he actually touch it ???

Judge...(6) Got involved and was so close to being the hero again, starting to look more like the Judge of old.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:04 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:19 pm
The player clearly dived Derek. It was not a penalty.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:08 pm

We are in a real terrible league, standards are awful and i am not just going on about the football players or teams

Officials.. yes i know, we all moan about them but not the first time felt hard done. Used to say Ref's favoured the so called bigger teams. Well can knock that on the head.

Before anybody start blaming, having a go at Chambers i urge you to actually watch the so called penalty for yourselves.

Having said all of this i agree with Mike, that was a damned good game played by one team dominating but also by a very clever and damn good team in Blackpool who are certainly no mugs

Couldn't tell whether or not the ball crossed the line though hearing from others who said it had. We suffered this few games ago by a ball that was well over to be ruled not.

Agree on one up front comments been said as well, never liked this but agree can't say we didn't create chances for we did. Town played well and so did Blackpool in their own way, we didn't lose the game, that was important, shame about Wycombe and Peterborough winning though

Ooh well makes Tuesday even more importance

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:09 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:04 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
He is 34 year old experienced defender if he stays on his feet he does not give the chance for anybody to dive. If stays on his feet and ushers the guy out then no decision needs to be given. It's a school boy error.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:32 pm

Well for first time EVER, Town come out of the blocks at the first whistle after not having played a game for some while.

It’s was hard to single any player out for being “ ineffective”, or not being on his game, because ALL 11 players looked sharp, and well and truly up for this game, I was very impressed with our work rate and attacking attitude.

I would go as far as to say , this was probably the best football I’ve seen at PR this season. from either side. Blackpool are no mugs, and defended resolutely throughout this match, doing what all teams do when coming to PR. They sat in numbers, behind the ball, and if we lost possession, they hit us on the counter attack and they were VERY quick at this. But unlike a lot of teams that have played at PR this season, Blackpool, liked to get the ball down and play it on the deck. It was entertaining
and decent footie tbh.

Our midfield of Nolan, Downes and Skuse bossed the midfield, winning countless tackles and setting up attacks . Our wide men , Rowe in particular , was getting countless good crosses in, but we simply weren't getting on the end of them. How I wished Norwood had been partnering Jackson up front. I don’t think Blackpool would have coped with this strike partnership today tbh. As it was KJ, was often left doing a lot of the donkey work of closing down and trying to win balls against their giant centre back, often to no avail. When Town did get in behind them operating from the flanks , we looked far more likely to score.

I must mention Donacian. What a transformation of a player today!! He won virtually every header that came his way. Nutmegged his opponent in their box in the second half, and was often setting up crosses into Blackpool’s box. But he did his primary job, defending at right back brilliantly. Where’s this player suddenly come from? All credit to the coaching staff if he carry’s this on, because I’d said to Mike before the game. If we’re looking to offload any players in January, my money was on Nsiala and Donacian, because neither have impressed me this season.

So we drew, whilst our rivals snatched late winners. This makes Tuesday game vs Wycombe, for me a “ must win” 6 pointer.
But my overriding impression of today’s game, was that we finally came out of the blocks, and looked fresh, up for it, and every single player was 100% on their game today, after a long break.

So it has to be said......Well done Paul Lambert. You got it spot on. No we didn’t win, but believe me, Blackpool are a bloody good side. And they battled hard for their point today.

On to Tuesday then . COYBs

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:36 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:09 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:04 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
He is 34 year old experienced defender if he stays on his feet he does not give the chance for anybody to dive. If stays on his feet and ushers the guy out then no decision needs to be given. It's a school boy error.
Maybe, but that doesn’t excuse the ref for making the wrong decision. He was the only person in the ground who thought it was a penalty! Town players rarely kick off and make a fuss about decisions. But did with this one, so I think that says something about the ref getting it wrong. It was a blatant dive, and the player should have been booked. Not given a penalty.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:44 pm

Seen a picture the ball did indeed cross the line. Tbf it was really difficult to tell for the linesman or ref. Even from my position above the goal it did not look certain. But hay ho we move on to Tuesday. .

I really enjoyed the game and the crowd got right behind the team second half. The lads had a right go and as a fan you can ask no more. Judge was so unlucky not to score at the end.

Donacien had a solid game as did Nolan and Downes. Skuse was not at his best imo.

Not sure what Jackson was up to after Garbutt scored he was having a right go at him.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:02 pm

So we kinda got robbed twice, hey ho it happens I guess, I did think at the time it was over the line but you kinda wonder if your biased at times.