Ipswich Town vs Blackpool FC preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Any chance of First Team rustiness?

Ipswich Win
40%
Blackpool Win
20%
Draw
40%

Total votes: 15

Andym

Re: Ipswich Town vs Blackpool FC preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Andym » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:11 pm

Agree with a lot that's been said. A very good game to watch. A draw a fair result as we had the better of the play but didn't create many chances. Blackpool had a few good shots well saved.

The weak link to me was Edwards. As BM said, he wants to beat the defender too often. So when he could mske a run down the line without the ball he prefers instead to drop deep so he has to try and beat him.

The formation worked better than I expected. But we still don't create enough. The problem is we don't have a tall player to take advantage of crosses. This is all the more evident at corners.

While it is possibly fair to say Chambo shouldn't have made the challenge and the ref got it wrong, surely the blame really lies with the cheating diving b*stard who won the penalty? It's that cheating that has made the game we love very difficult for referees and has turned it into a non contact sport in the penalty area.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:20 pm

I'm with you Andy, I hate this bloody cheating, it's why I never liked Counago !!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:44 pm

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:57 pm

That dive is a disgrace and idiots moan at Chambers

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:58 pm

Can't say for sure that it crossed the line from that, but it may well have done. Not a penalty, but as has been said before, if you dive in like that, then you give the player an opportunity to dive and the ref an opportunity to give a penalty.

Bad luck probably, but we've had good luck at points this season too and still took a point from a good game. Very happy to settle for that after a break when we usually do terribly, and hopefully Norwood will be back quickly and we can build on that to win next time out.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:04 pm

Ricco, surely there is daylight between the ball and the goaline ? That has to be over surely no ?

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:10 pm

We need another Stricker,when Norwood is not in the team we struggle, 1 up front at home is a bloody joke Keane might improve but I'm not holding my breath, just as well we are in a tin pot league.Still looking ok but a long way to go.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:11 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:04 pm
Ricco, surely there is daylight between the ball and the goaline ? That has to be over surely no ?
Bloody close ain't it? And that mightn't be the furthest 'in' it gets, but dunno, no way you can tell from a grainy photo from that angle for sure?

Because I'm sad and clearly have nothing better to do on a Saturday night... I drew a picture...

Ball ain't over the line, but you can still see the green between ball and goaline, so that ain't good enough evidence by itself? Something like that...

Last edited by Ricco on Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:14 pm

Whether in or not and i think that's in.. But whatever why do the powers to be not make all PROFESSIONAL clubs as standard goal line technology ?

No ifs no buts. no Maybes its in or not..

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:36 pm

Caption 2 - Blackpool fans show no mercy by chanting ‘you’re ducking sh*t’ as little kid misses half time penalty.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:58 pm

I didn’t think it was over the line real-time and when I watched the replay on I-Follow I still didn’t think it was over. If it’s on the highlights tomorrow watch it at full speed. No way the ref could judge that was over the line without goal-line technology. As for the penalties - the ref gave them one and he gave us one. Probably was a dive, but Chambers wasn’t smart in making the challenge. He should have left it to Woolfenden to cover. As for our penalty, it was soft and can’t help feel the referee was making up for their one.
Decent display by us and I thought we genuinely tried to knock it about. In fact, I thought it was one of our better displays this season. We were the better side but I thought a draw was fair enough.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:13 am

Sounded like a cracking game to watch, and without the poor penalty decision perhaps 3 points should have been ours. That said, not too disappointed in the end, especially after seeing the initial team selection.

Hoping very much that Norwood is fit for Tuesday night, as i feel with him & KJ up front, we would have had too much up front, even for a very good Blackpool side. A replication of this performance, with a 2 pronged attack, should give us more chance of 3 points against Wycombe and closing that gap.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:18 am

Andym wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:11 pm
Agree with a lot that's been said. A very good game to watch. A draw a fair result as we had the better of the play but didn't create many chances. Blackpool had a few good shots well saved.

The weak link to me was Edwards. As BM said, he wants to beat the defender too often. So when he could mske a run down the line without the ball he prefers instead to drop deep so he has to try and beat him.

The formation worked better than I expected. But we still don't create enough. The problem is we don't have a tall player to take advantage of crosses. This is all the more evident at corners.

While it is possibly fair to say Chambo shouldn't have made the challenge and the ref got it wrong, surely the blame really lies with the cheating diving b*stard who won the penalty? It's that cheating that has made the game we love very difficult for referees and has turned it into a non contact sport in the penalty area.
I agree with you about Edwards being the weak link. Fair play to him, he scored, but he got out-muscled too often.
I prefer him on the left where he can cut in on his right foot. On the right, he tries to beat players on the outside but hasn’t got the speed or strength. He looks a different player to when he first arrived here - he seemed to beat players for fun then.

I think we’re weak in the wide areas (Edwards and Rowe). Sears and Lankester would have provided competition down the flanks if fit. We’ve got so many central midfielders, but looking a bit lightweight out wide and we have to rely on our full-backs too often attacking-wise. I’d give Judge another shot in place of Edwards in the hope he’s getting back to form.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:24 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:58 pm
I didn’t think it was over the line real-time and when I watched the replay on I-Follow I still didn’t think it was over. If it’s on the highlights tomorrow watch it at full speed. No way the ref could judge that was over the line without goal-line technology. As for the penalties - the ref gave them one and he gave us one. Probably was a dive, but Chambers wasn’t smart in making the challenge. He should have left it to Woolfenden to cover. As for our penalty, it was soft and can’t help feel the referee was making up for their one.
Decent display by us and I thought we genuinely tried to knock it about. In fact, I thought it was one of our better displays this season. We were the better side but I thought a draw was fair enough.
Well said Tang my point exactly Chambers gave the guy the opportunity by going to ground. You and I must be idiots according to one particular noise on here.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:28 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:44 pm
https://twitter.com/TimFitzgerald22/sta ... 56576?s=20

Not a foul. He dived!

And ball Was over the line

https://twitter.com/MIkey_smith13/statu ... d!%2F%2316

Robbed twice!
The tweets on there concerning the penalty condem Chambers. We are right Tang.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:38 am

marko69 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:10 pm
Busy all day, just logged on to read through the serious thoughts of the day....... but JohnnyBs “Barts shrink” post is just superb. Quality comedy there 😂😂😂
Thanks fella 🙂

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:55 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:28 am
hallamblue wrote:

Not a foul. He dived!

Robbed twice!
I’m not trying to condemn Chambers - but I just don’t see the point of him diving in. The lad was going nowhere and couldn’t score from an acute angle if he stayed on his feet and Woolfy was also tracking him. I didn’t see contact from Chambers in the tackle, but I also didn’t see Chambers nick the ball off him. The ball didn’t deviate when Chambers went in. If you can’t get the ball - why dive in? We all know players dive and referees get suckered in and we know hear more and more the phrase “don’t give the referees a decision to make”.

TBF - I don’t think that was a turning point in the game because we equalised shortly after. 25 minutes to go and it was set up nicely for us to nick it. Not quite, but we played better football than we have done against a decent side.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:18 am

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... -blackpool

Highlights for those who may not have caught them.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:02 am

Ricco wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:11 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:04 pm
Bloody close ain't it? And that mightn't be the furthest 'in' it gets, but dunno, no way you can tell from a grainy photo from that angle for sure?

Because I'm sad and clearly have nothing better to do on a Saturday night... I drew a picture...

Ball ain't over the line, but you can still see the green between ball and goaline, so that ain't good enough evidence by itself? Something like that...

LMAO Ricco, that is one sad Saturday night mate, are you local ? We need a curry night out or something !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:04 am

Derick... For weeks you have been quiet on the Chambers issue, why is this? Even when there was a post about Chambers being the most consistent highly marked defender you still remained quiet as in marks out of ten per game.

We all know, i think all of the Ipswich Town supporting community knows your opinions on Chambers. That's your right, you can choose who to like or dislike, who to blame or to say well done to as you see fit.

Thing is several times this season Chambers has come across making last ditch blocks and tackles most of which were to actually back up another player. I asked you sometime ago if going to be quick to condemn then be as quick to actually praise. You have not praised but here we go even before you seen the penalty you called him a pr*ck .

I was one of first to say Chambers made a clanger at the Sunderland game for he did. I have seen this pen several times and still say the player dived. You say he shouldn't of dived in and stayed on his feet, fine.. But you would be quickest to say what the f*ck was Chambers doing if he shot and scored.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:56 am

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:04 am
Derick... For weeks you have been quiet on the Chambers issue, why is this? Even when there was a post about Chambers being the most consistent highly marked defender you still remained quiet as in marks out of ten per game.

We all know, i think all of the Ipswich Town supporting community knows your opinions on Chambers. That's your right, you can choose who to like or dislike, who to blame or to say well done to as you see fit.

Thing is several times this season Chambers has come across making last ditch blocks and tackles most of which were to actually back up another player. I asked you sometime ago if going to be quick to condemn then be as quick to actually praise. You have not praised but here we go even before you seen the penalty you called him a pr*ck .

I was one of first to say Chambers made a clanger at the Sunderland game for he did. I have seen this pen several times and still say the player dived. You say he shouldn't of dived in and stayed on his feet, fine.. But you would be quickest to say what the f*ck was Chambers doing if he shot and scored
Your right i have been quiet that's because he has not f*cked up for a while. I think Wilson and Woolfenden would be a better pairing and I would keep captain calamitous as back up. Look, this is old ground and we will never agree. I can't wait for him to retire and be the great club man is supposed to be. :wink:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:05 pm

Caption 2. I went to school with a guy called Bear and Ram there was also Foxy and Badger. I can tell you ,these guys were animals !! :shock:

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:27 pm

Caption Comp 1 : Mick McCarthy spotted in crowd looking for young Irish talent to take penalties

Caption Comp 2 : Bloomfield Bear tells young penalty taker his best joke to put him off.
A bear and a rabbit are taking a sh!t in the woods. The bear turns to the rabbit and asks do you have any problems with sh!t sticking to your fur and the rabbit says no So the bear wipes his as$ with the rabbit

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:06 pm

Just to add to the Chambers debate, a couple of points:

Firstly, as has been said before, a defender making a mistake is more heavily criticised than a striker missing an open goal.

But looking at both goals conceded yesterday, Chambers didn't tackle for the first goal....presumably to avoid "giving the ref a decision to make." Instead, they put in a cross and scored from it.
The second goal....when Chambers did slide in, the striker was on the corner of the 6 yard box, certainly in a shooting or crossing position.

And finally....I'd never vilify anyone for a single error. Overall he has had a very good season. Let's not forget that. I much prefer his commitment to, for example, Will Keane's, who yesterday backedaway from every high ball rather than trying to win a header.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:23 pm

Exactly right, the Two goals yesterday showed the same player standing off one challenge and going in for the other one, damned if you do and damned if you don't, personally I would have preferred him sliding in on the first one too, that to me shows more determination in stopping the cross than letting the attacker go around you.

As for the penalty, having watched it a few times it is interesting to note that it was in fact Chambers that cleared the first ball into the box, no other town player touched the bloody thing before his lunge to block the cross that led to the penalty, where's the sodding support for him from his teammates? in fact Woolfys effort to block the striker was p*ss poor tbh, stand off, do nothing and avoid criticism doesn't sit well with me.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:06 pm

Afraid I have to join the ' idiots' group. When a defender dives in like that he must get the ball cleanly otherwise the ref will automatically give a penalty. I like Chambers and feel he is a valuable centre back but he does have a mistake in him. That was a mistake today no matter what the striker did.
On to Wycombe-COYB and Chambers

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:09 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:28 am
hallamblue wrote:

Not a foul. He dived!

Robbed twice!

“ We were right Tang”....is this a school playground ? I’ve already said maybe chambers did do the wrong thing, but that it does not detract from the ref making the wrong decision.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:13 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:56 am
Steve and Jo wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:04 am

I was one of first to say Chambers made a clanger at the Sunderland game for he did. I have seen this pen several times and still say the player dived. You say he shouldn't of dived in and stayed on his feet, fine.. But you would be quickest to say what the f*ck was Chambers doing if he shot and scored
Your right i have been quiet that's because he has not f*cked up for a while. I think Wilson and Woolfenden would be a better pairing and I would keep captain calamitous as back up. Look, this is old ground and we will never agree. I can't wait for him to retire and be the great club man is supposed to be. :wink:
So what about other Town players that have “ f*cked up”? We never hear you have a go that them. Why’s that?
You never see anything good that Chambers does. And he does do good things. But you're not interested in that are you. Why? Chambers has been a very good captain for this Club, playing when many players would throw the towel in frankly. Yes he is nearing the end of his playing career. It wouldn’t surprise me if this is his last full season. But the hatred / disrespect some fans like you display towards him beggars belief. He deserves far more respect than people like you afford him tbh.

I hope those around you at work throw you on the scrap heap and disrespect you in your job, when you’ve a set number of candles on your cake Derek. I certainly wouldn’t shed a tear.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:23 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:23 pm
Exactly right, the Two goals yesterday showed the same player standing off one challenge and going in for the other one, damned if you do and damned if you don't, personally I would have preferred him sliding in on the first one too, that to me shows more determination in stopping the cross than letting the attacker go around you.

As for the penalty, having watched it a few times it is interesting to note that it was in fact Chambers that cleared the first ball into the box, no other town player touched the bloody thing before his lunge to block the cross that led to the penalty, where's the sodding support for him from his teammates? Stand off, in fact Woolfys effort to block the striker was p*ss poor tbh, do nothing and avoid criticism doesn't sit well with me.
Im afraid that’s wasted on some on here Mike.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:46 pm

Andym wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:06 pm
Just to add to the Chambers debate, a couple of points:

Firstly, as has been said before, a defender making a mistake is more heavily criticised than a striker missing an open goal.

But looking at both goals conceded yesterday, Chambers didn't tackle for the first goal....presumably to avoid "giving the ref a decision to make." Instead, they put in a cross and scored from it.
The second goal....when Chambers did slide in, the striker was on the corner of the 6 yard box, certainly in a shooting or crossing position.

And finally....I'd never vilify anyone for a single error. Overall he has had a very good season. Let's not forget that. I much prefer his commitment to, for example, Will Keane's, who yesterday backedaway from every high ball rather than trying to win a header.

Chambers will put himself in where it hurts, ( unlike one or two in the team aka Edwards, Keane, Judge etc), but Chambers will do, like any decent CB should do. When it doesn’t come off he’s criticised , yet If he doesn’t make the decision to go in, “ he’s too effing slow...past it ...shouldn’t be in the effing team” etc . How many people post comments about Edwards not being able to, keep the ball, or is pushed off it too easily, or tries to beat the same player three or four times? Or Judges miss placed passes, or showboating before he loses the ball? Can’t say I’ve seen any on here.

Town fans are very good at picking a player to target. It used to be Douglas, now it’s Chambers. The irony is, he bleeds Blue and does so much for this Club, that he :(and Skuse) weren’t here , I think we’d be in a muddle. At least the Town players respect and understand what he brings to the team and Club.