Ipswich Town vs Wycombe Wanderers Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Top of the Table Clash

Ipswich Win
47%
Wycombe Win
21%
Draw
32%

Total votes: 19

derick_ipsw

Re: Ipswich Town vs Wycombe Wanderers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:58 pm

TODD66 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:49 pm
Well, could or probably should have won that - no thanks to the ref!

Could just as easily have lost it - but didn't thanks to Holy.
If we had of lost that would be down to the ref as well. First half we should of been ahead 2nd half we were poor. Wycombe are just spoilers who time waste and are very one Dimentional. If they stay top till the end of the season i will be very suprised. Saying that we need to play better than this we never really passed it about we just hit hopefull balls forward.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:59 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:51 pm
How can we have 17 shots and not one on target ?

Pompey had 16 shots tonight 8 on target and 3 goals, isn’t that more like normal ?
I think when a team is confident they just like to hit the target and get rewards from that approach, when teams aren't, then I find the try and find the corners and extremities and end up missing the target too much. Whether that is the case here I don't know...

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:05 pm

Rusty? No just absolute s!!!e. Wycombe are nothing. We should be tanking these teams. How many set pieces blasted off into space. Crosses overhit. They were genuine crap. We are not getting out of this division despite our apparently good position. We really haven't played the main contenders yet. Really pi££ed off after this. After 54 years an ipswich Town fan I'm throwing in the towel. Goodbye Blue Mike et al . Enough!

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:06 pm

Wycombe fan i spoke to after the game, also slating ref and said Ipswich were very unlucky.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:06 pm

Charnwood wrote:

Pompey had 16 shots tonight 8 on target and 3 goals, isn’t that more like normal ?
We did have 1 on target and it went in unfortunately the f**king useless ref disallowed it.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:17 pm

Unlucky in the end but didn't create enough. We certainly deserved to be ahead at the end of the first half.
More scrappy second half but not impressed with Wycombe.
Typical Cambridge like under John Beck hoof it up to the burly striker and hope.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:18 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:06 pm
Charnwood wrote:

We did have 1 on target and it went in unfortunately the f**king useless ref disallowed it.
Exactly Derick !!! Cheated out of 4 f**king points in 4 days

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:10 am

This table looks better, shows Town won 1-0 tonight.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/leag ... ague-table

nicscreamer

Re: Ipswich Town vs Wycombe Wanderers Preview & Matchday

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:25 am

That was the worst ref performance I have ever seen. Shocking. We deserved the win and thank God for Holys save.. it was incredible.
At least we didn’t lose and there’s a long way to go still. I think we need a run of games now with as much a settled side as possible, we looked a little rusty going forward. But I am confident goals will come again and we will cement our place at the top of the league.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:37 am

A strange game, lots of possession but too many shots from 20 yards plus. No shots on target.

Definitely the better side, Wycombe reminded me of Cardiff when they got promoted - long ball to big striker.

I enjoyed the game, some nice bits but too much in the air, particularly second half. Still lacking the height to score from crosses or corners, not creating enough on the floor.

Ref made the mistake of avoiding early bookings. All the early fouls were from the opposition. Then as soon as we made a couple of fouls we got two yellows. And while we need to stamp out dissent, we essentially get booked for the ref's errors. A very poor performance from the ref.

Chambers will no doubt be criticised for giving away another penalty. But let's not forget the foul was actually outside the box and was only necessitated because Donacien gave the ball away.

Overall I enjoyed the game. It showed our shortcomings but was an entertaining game. Not many great individual performances (buthe a great penalty save) but exciting and enjoyable nonetheless.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:40 am

And a final comment: we looked equally if not more dangerous on Saturday with a lone striker as we did with 2 tonight. Formation isn't everything.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:49 am

Just got in and am shaking

It's been years since seen such a shambles from the officials. Yes can say 16 shots or whatever the total was with non on target but that's really not true. How many pens should we have had?

Players booked for what? what is this Ref on? Chambers was never a penalty it was outside the box.. Brilliant save though.

I do think couple more games and Norwood would of scored and now hes booked misses Coventry City but i would of been sent off for that Referee was the worse seen since possibly "Clive the book Thomas"

Am fuming, we drew that purely because of the officials. I know should of converted more shots to on target. I get that but if that perfectly good goal was allowed means Wycombe would have to come out more

Thought for a team top of the league might actually of came out more but again like Blackpool were content to sit, time waste and just throw balls up. The ref allowed them from goalkeeper all way through to just time waste and get away with murder. he should honestly look at the video and see what a utter bad job he did along with his assistance's.. Shame on them

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:59 am

Pat. Not good buddy and I completely understand how you feel. The frustration can become unbearable at times. Hopefully that agitation passes by the weekend and you’re back watching the Ipswich Town FC.

I know a few guys who’ve put football by the wayside due to cheating. Big buddy, Brendan vowed never to go back after the Jambo dived two yards outside the box in the 2012 cup final. He’s stuck by that.
And then after watching tonight’s highlights; the Wycombe penalty award?? That’s it right there. That player could’ve won an oscar for that dive. Not going to blatantly blame the ref here because it was very fast play and he’s a human being watching it only one time....... the point I’m making is the player doing what he done. That’s what the game has become over the past 20/25 years, and probably going to be controversially racist here, but when the foreigner rule was scrapped, it got worst. When England became awash with continental Europeans, it was fkd.

But agree with AndyM (from 4 mins of highlights) looked an entertaining game. And great save by Tomas “Holy sh*t you’re tall” Holy.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:30 am

Wasn't just that pen award Marko. The officials were a farce

Wycombe made very strong tackles that were warranted a yellow card early on. None given these then just two ordinary at worse fouls from Ipswich the players got booked. Scratch your head time, then there looked perfectly good shouts of handballs from Wycombe players in the penalty area not giving. okay whatever

The goal, its not just because it was not giving which was in itself baffling as the ball came off an Wycombe player but the time. Most of the players were getting ready for restart. I was told after the game by my sons BBC had chalked the goal up !! and when i got home was then asked by my son was it VAR that disallowed it it?

Seen Lambert's interview and he is spot on with the official

Saying all this we have do have to look at ourselves. Wycombe top of the league for me was there for the taking. We should of beat them, if this was a one off then fine can say its just one of those games but its not. Yes bad officials in both games but in fairness, 16 shots should of counted more on target. We cannot do anything about sh*te officials but lets put these games where they belong to rest. Do our jobs right and then the officials just don't matter

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:44 am

A large percentage of the time, I do agree with that last sentence there, Steve , it’s true, the players do need to do their jobs better..... but , (complete with sigh of resignation) , the officials?? Man, they are getting worse as time passes. Hands up, I admit, I could not do their job, but it is their job and my God, the majority suck at it.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:02 am

It’s a shame these fuckers aren’t on performance related pay, that would sharpen them up when they couldn’t afford to pay their mortgage.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:24 am

Not much mention of the Nolan goalbound shot early in the game which was going in only to be diverted away by an arm !!! Ridiculous and for the bloody stats to say nothing on target is totally wrong cus the Two that were on target were goals all day long !!!

On a side note Wycombe will not stay in the top Two for sure, utter garbage, top Six may be pushing it too.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:10 am

And then you realise the cnut is Peterborough based!!! The cheating makes sense now.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:28 am

After a nights sleep and finally calming down i have to say that was crap. The officials were crap, Wycombe were crap and unfortunately Town were crap to. First half was better than the 2nd but man, lumping hopeful balls forward surely we can play better than that. I sometimes wonder what game PL has been watching when you hear his post match comments, "we were excellent" no we were not Paul. Its a game we should of won but we so easily could of lost. Donacein loses the ball Chambers gives the officials AGAIN a opportunity to give a penalty when will he learn? As for the goal that was disallowed , farcical, when it first went in there players were appealing for hand ball off Jackson, not off side, the fact the last person to touch it was wearing yellow did not seem to matter to a referee so far out of his depth he would of drowned in the shallow end. If Town continue to play like that we will struggle to win games against the so called better teams in this division. Where has the pass and move gone? where is the high pressing gone? Maybe this is down to the constant player changes (not counting injuries) but we need to start upping our performances and put a run of wins together.
If we were to exit both cups over the coming weeks would that be a bad thing? Maybe then PL might play a settled side and formation which may help players gel and raise there games.. Saying that, as i look at the table 4 points clear of 3rd with a game in hand i would of snapped your hand off for that in August, but i feel this squad is still under achieving. And to finish, Thomas Holy that is probably the best penalty save i have ever seen.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:08 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:28 am
After a nights sleep and finally calming down i have to say that was crap. The officials were crap, Wycombe were crap and unfortunately Town were crap to. First half was better than the 2nd but man, lumping hopeful balls forward surely we can play better than that. I sometimes wonder what game PL has been watching when you hear his post match comments, "we were excellent" no we were not Paul. Its a game we should of won but we so easily could of lost. Donacein loses the ball Chambers gives the officials AGAIN a opportunity to give a penalty when will he learn? As for the goal that was disallowed , farcical, when it first went in there players were appealing for hand ball off Jackson, not off side, the fact the last person to touch it was wearing yellow did not seem to matter to a referee so far out of his depth he would of drowned in the shallow end. If Town continue to play like that we will struggle to win games against the so called better teams in this division. Where has the pass and move gone? where is the high pressing gone? Maybe this is down to the constant player changes (not counting injuries) but we need to start upping our performances and put a run of wins together.
If we were to exit both cups over the coming weeks would that be a bad thing? Maybe then PL might play a settled side and formation which may help players gel and raise there games.. Saying that, as i look at the table 4 points clear of 3rd with a game in hand i would of snapped your hand off for that in August, but i feel this squad is still under achieving. And to finish, Thomas Holy that is probably the best penalty save i have ever seen.
If you ever have a car accident I am going to use the Chamber logic. ‘Well Derick, in afriad you did get in your car and you did decide to pull out from that T junction. It doesn’t matter if the other chap was on his phone, you gave him the opportunity to hit you by driving’. Moron. It this was woolfenden or Wilson £50 says your anger would stay focused at the ref.
Last edited by AylesburyBlue on Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:11 am

The ref was a joke. Not just because of our goal being disallowed, which is probably the linesman’s fault, or the fact the PK was outside the box etc..... let’s also remeber we possibly could have been down to 9 men. Nolan’s knee high tackle in the first half was ugly and Donacien should have walked (the ref seemed to honk the PK was punishment enough).

We payed decent enough football and deserved to win, no questions. However we need to chill the f*ck out, far to much rushing and forcing. Needed more (some...) composure going forward.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:17 am

What was it 65% possession, I can't think we could have hoofed it that much to retain the ball for so long.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:30 am

I think people need to remember we are a div 1 club, not Barcelona! We play footy that is our ability.... and that is league one. We are actually not that bad for the level and I am confident we will get promoted. We were well and truly robbed tonight and robbed Saturday too. The standard of referring and their decisions have cost us this week, big time.
We all need to “chill the f*ck out “

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:30 am

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:08 am
derick_ipsw wrote:
If you ever have a car accident I am going to use the Chamber logic. ‘Well Derick, in afriad you did get in your car and you did decide to pull out from that T junction. It doesn’t matter if the other chap was on his phone, you can him the opportunity to hit you by driving’. Moron. It this was woolfended or Wilson £50 says your anger would stay focused at the ref.
Who dictated that response ? Norman Colliers faulty microphone.(Older ones will understand) :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:37 am

nicscreamer wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:30 am
I think people need to remember we are a div 1 club, not Barcelona! We play footy that is our ability.... and that is league one. We are actually not that bad for the level and I am confident we will get promoted. We were well and truly robbed tonight and robbed Saturday too. The standard of referring and their decisions have cost us this week, big time.
We all need to “chill the f*ck out “
This !!!!! Apart from the chill out, im still fuming at that tw*t last night lol.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:41 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:30 am
AylesburyBlue wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:08 am
derick_ipsw wrote:
If you ever have a car accident I am going to use the Chamber logic. ‘Well Derick, in afriad you did get in your car and you did decide to pull out from that T junction. It doesn’t matter if the other chap was on his phone, you can him the opportunity to hit you by driving’. Moron. It this was woolfended or Wilson £50 says your anger would stay focused at the ref.
Who dictated that response ? Norman Colliers faulty microphone.(Older ones will understand) :lol:

Who dictated my response? I suppose it was you turtle chops. Although if you mean any grammar or spelling errors... iPhone predictive message and paying minimal concentration dictated those errors.
Last edited by AylesburyBlue on Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:46 am

Norman Collier. ow ther a bla fro th pa !

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:28 am

Andym wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:40 am
And a final comment: we looked equally if not more dangerous on Saturday with a lone striker as we did with 2 tonight. Formation isn't everything.
Funny how we all see the game. I think the complete opposite. The reason being is we can mix it up more, we can play it short, long and balls into the channels for either striker.

Tactically Lambert got it spot on last night. I think 3-5-2 is definitely our best formation. Also I think it was one of our best home performances of the season. Pretty much controlled the game, can’t really recall Wycombe having any sustained periods of pressure. We were a little flat for 15 mins at the start of the second half but the rest I thought was good.

Some people will point to the lack of shots on target but as mentioned by others Wycombe set up for a draw. Had the goal been correctly given then Wycombe would have needed to open up second half. It was always going to be a tight game but it did have a real edge to it especially second half.

The atmosphere 2nd half was electric and i can’t see how anyone could say they were not entertained last night.

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:31 am

Oh and had the foul by chambers been correctly given outside the box, he would probably have been sent off.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:39 am

Ando wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:31 am
Oh and had the foul by chambers been correctly given outside the box, he would probably have been sent off.
Donacein could quite easily of been sent off as well for his lunge after losing the ball which led to the penalty.