Lack of creativity? And a case for Judge in central midfield?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Lack of creativity? And a case for Judge in central midfield?

Post by hallamblue » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:19 pm

Dave Gooderham ( EADT), worries that clubs are beginning to suss Town out, and that despite the seemingly weekly moans about the poor standard of referees in League One, that it’s also a case of our inability to unlock defences each week when teams come to PR with their siege mentality which may ultimately cost us promotion despite our team sheet superiority.

Is it now time to play Judge in his favoured central midfield position, with Andre Dozzell seemingly too lightweight for league one?

If Lambert was ever to play Judge in central midfield , who would be dropped to make way for him, or what midfield combo would you deploy ?

In a 5-3-2 formation I personally would probably go with the following:

Downes ...... Judge.......... Skuse

What do others feel about this lack of creativity ? Is there a problem, and if so what would you suggest we need to be going going into the second half of the season?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Lack of creativity? And a case for Judge in central midfield?

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:49 pm

I think its nonsense Liz tbh, I believe these people look for faults that aren't there.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:18 am

I’ve not been to Portman Road this season so i’m not in a position to comment on our creativity or lack of it. I can however see that we are lacking in the number of points taken from our home games ( only 13 from a possible 24) which could potentially damage our chances of securing automatic promotion and is an area that PL has to focus on.

The stats suggest that visitors tend to come to Portman Road with a plan to stop us playing and results suggest they manage this quite effectively. I know there’s been some discussion about whether we had zero or maybe 2 shots on target v WW, however neither of these numbers are anything to be proud of if we want to get out of this league quickly and quite frankly home performances/results have to improve.

I also read about crap referees and their impact on our results, unfortunately this is unlikely to change and the only element we have any control over is our team selection, game strategy and performance. If home results don’t improve I think something does have to change and if we are short in any area come the end of the year it needs to be put right in January, as I fear any failure in securing promotion this season could resign us to having to get used to this league for sometime which is no good to anyone.

I’m not sure how we’re lining up at the moment or how much it varies from game to game, but one thing for sure, some of our opponents aren’t finding it too difficult stopping us from creating goal scoring opportunities at Portman Road

I think we have enough regular visitors to Portman Road on here to come up with some ideas, cos one thing for sure our current home form is letting our campaign down and those two “home games in hand” that people were counting as 6 points may well turn out to only be worth 2 which drags us closer to the chasing pack that we want to keep some light between.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:20 am

When I say the guy is talking nonsense what I mean is that I don't believe our issues lie in central midfield, I think its been pretty solid, Downes for me is the first name on the team sheet and its no coincidence both games we've lost was when he was missing, trust me we'd have lost a few more without him, Skuse defends the back line well and is one of the reasons we have so many clean sheets, Nolan too is putting in some very good performances. Yes Dozzell is weak and when called upon fails to deliver much but its only fleeting cameos.

No for me if we have an issue in creating enough its from wide areas, Edwards creates nothing, Rowe fares little better while Georgiou huffs and puffs but final balls are lacking. At wing back KVY does the business but Donacien is far more defensive, Garbutt is generally ok.I certainly don't think an ineffective Judge is suddenly the answer in the Middle, he needs to do a lot more than a goal in the cup against Lincoln reserves before I see him as our saviour.

I still come back to 17 attempts at goal against Wycombe with only Two on target, both of which should have been goals and more than enough to win the game. The off target ones still had to be created so they're coming from somewhere, thr dodgy refs are very much to blame for Two of those home slip ups and Chambo's horror show in the game against Sunderland which we dominated account for another. I'm not sure about this home game hang up, I think there's reasons other than us struggling to break teams down as to why we didn't win them.

We only really have one outstanding fixture now and that's away, at Oxford, the other game is the Bury cancellation which will even out as other teams have their free weekends.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:56 pm

We're definitely not scoring enough, or rather that is the area to focus on, we're barely scoring above league average goals per game, especially if you take the Bolton 5-0 out of it.

What Mike says makes sense to me, and if Judge isn't doing anything from out wide, then he's not doing enough to force his way in to a central position where players have been performing.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:05 pm

I could be wrong, but from what I've seen in the past it seems like Judge is at his best in a more central position. Of course, he has struggled with form this season for whatever reasons...and maybe he wouldn't be any better playing in that role?

It's strikingly obvious how we lack creativity in midfield. We've had the same issue for years before Lambert arrived. Does anyone know of an economical, creative midfielder who may be available in January?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:14 pm

Teddy Bishop/ Jack Lankester

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:32 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:14 pm
Teddy Bishop/ Jack Lankester
When are they due back?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:45 pm

Bloody good question, it just seems never ending

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:30 pm

It also depends on what formation

Going gotgowsrd we use . One up front simply doesn’t work for us . Jackson runs his sox off but by and large appears ineffective as a finisher with the support if Norwood alongside him.

But vs Blackpool I think Jackson did his best . In that game Rowe sent over countless crosses into the box but there was one one in there from any sector of the team to get on the end of it. On the other wing, Edwards is a complete was of space, other than the odd little flurry , he all too frequently loses possession very cheaply ( often with our players committed forward). Frustrating is a polite description of him .

Going forward our creative options appear fraught with problems. I doubt Bishop will be fit let alone likely to hit the ground running - Huws remains well off the pace
( both essentially persistent sick notes , hence their form) . Then there’s enigma that is Andre Dozzell. Just what will Town do with . What should they do with him? I say loan him out for the rest of the season at League Two level. Let him see where his bread is buttered and learn the other aspects of the game, which don’t include the pretty, one wonder pass, per game. ( sorry to be harsh but there it is) .

In January I hope Evans / Lambert will see the need to bring one or two players in to freshen the squad up. IMO we need another striker ( Keane just isn’t cutting it).
We need an effective right wing player. Lankedter . I doubt will play this season, and the other candidates are very young players , whilst Georgio will likely return to Spurs. So based on that analysis I’d strongly suspect we will give Ward a short term contract because he’s here and knows the Club, so no settling in period. Not that I want to see that happen. But what else can we go ? We don’t have pots of money .

The injury KVY is a real blow both in terms of wing bs k threat / he’s s bloody good player and we will / are missing him. But Evans May have to stump up more money to bring in cover .

I’d hate to see s repeat of the lack of additional funding to push on promotion credentials like we did in McCarthy reign. We might have s large squad ( which definitely needs to trimming), but outside of our strongest 11-15 players the rest are too weak or inexperienced IMO.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:45 pm

Well only this afternoon Lambert dismissed the Grant Ward thing, saying "It's not something I am looking at doing".

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:12 pm

Good. So then we might be looking elsewhere, because I think we need someone in through the door. 🤞

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:47 am

I’ll be amazed if the current squad gets added to in January. I think you’ll find PL will have to make do with what he has baring any serious injuries. Our onl6 hope could be picking up a decent loaner however I’m not sure how many we’re allowed.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:03 am

Teams are setting up defensively against us at home and the effect on the game cannot be underestimated. Majority of players have not played regularly in front of the crowds we get. Excuse the pun but it’s like their cup final. Ainsworth post match comments confirm this. Therefore home games will be tight especially against inform teams.

If we accept this then creativity needs looking at. So the question is, at home in these tight games are skuse and Downs both needed in midfield with three centre backs? Because for me they are similar in style they break play, play the ball simple and dictate the pace of the game. Neither are natural goal threats. There has been occasions when Downs has done this but not with enough regularity.

For me Nolan is key as he others at bit more of an all rounder therefore gives balance in defence and attack. The game away from home (can’t remember which one) skuse went off injured and Nolan came on and on that occasion the team improved is testament to the point.

So you can then fit a judge or Dozzell or whomever into the team for home games. I think Lambert has used this approach on occasions with downs being substituted in the second half.

We are a very good neat & tidy side in this division and I think that showed against Wycombe. However, how many goals have we scored from open play from outside the box this season? I can’t think of many. Our main threat is Jackson and Norwood therefore again teams are happy to sit back because we don’t carry that midfield goal scoring threat. Therefore can become one dimensional.

If Downs and skuse are playing together then the wide players must supply the service to our front 2 if not we struggle. Our delivery from wide areas is not consist enough, Garbutt was wasteful on Tuesday and not having KVY is beginning to bite.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:10 am

Agree with that about Downes & Skuse at the moment and it has not gone unnoticed by me that there is rarely a game go by now where Skusey doesn't pick up an injury or requires treatment, this never used to happen, I think the old body is starting to feel it now and Downes is leaving him behind at times. For me Emyr Huws is the real Midfield quality at the club but he is still getting up to speed and while he is getting there it is taking time, I actually think Dobra in behind the strikers could well be the answer, that boy is electric, runs at players and beats them and looks to have it all in his locker, let's unleash him.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:43 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:10 am
Agree with that about Downes & Skuse at the moment and it has not gone unnoticed by me that there is rarely a game go by now where Skusey doesn't pick up an injury or requires treatment, this never used to happen, I think the old body is starting to feel it now and Downes is leaving him behind at times. For me Emyr Huws is the real Midfield quality at the club but he is still getting up to speed and while he is getting there it is taking time, I actually think Dobra in behind the strikers could well be the answer, that boy is electric, runs at players and beats them and looks to have it all in his locker, let's unleash him.
Interesting shout, he would certainly break the lines and open the game up. We certainly lack that in the team. How brave is Lambert?

Agree about skuse I’ve noticed in the last 2 games he’s just starting to mis place passes. It maybe because he’s looking to make killer passes in tight games.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:54 am

I’d go with Downes and Nolan as our best midfield pairing. Nolan can link play with our attack pretty well and keep things ticking. Maybe Skuse is beginning to feel it - it seems like every game now he picks up a head injury or a knock. I think we need to consider benching him just so we add a bit to our attack. What Skuse adds defensively, we lose offensively ... and I think we need to be more bolder to go for the three points.

By reputation or based on pedigree, Judge should really be in the side sitting behind the strikers, but he’s really been poor this season. He doesn’t deserve it based on performances, but I’d give him a go in the number 10 role. It’s about time he delivered. Judge should be flying at this level. If he can’t do it by January, then maybe Lambert needs to call Mark Warburton and offload him to QPR.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Dobra being given a shot. He seems to really want it a lot more than Dozzell.

As for the wide players - no-ones really shone consistently. I’d think about getting shot of Georgiou in January and bringing another loan in. Or maybe Freddie’s back next month- I think he can do a job wide left.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:26 pm

If we’re going to break down stubborn defences that come to Portman Road to shut up shop and stop us playing there’s no better way to do that using wide players with a quick change of pace. Thinking of our current squad, who best do we have who could fill these roles left and right ?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:14 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:26 pm
If we’re going to break down stubborn defences that come to Portman Road to shut up shop and stop us playing there’s no better way to do that using wide players with a quick change of pace. Thinking of our current squad, who best do we have who could fill these roles left and right ?
I think our best wide players so far have been our wingbacks / fullbacks - KVY and Garbutt. Rowe started the season well, but has tailed off. Edwards looks light-weight and has been disappointing. Judge has been off-form and drifts away from the flanks. Georgiou has had a couple of cameos of the bench, but doesn’t look like he’s a starter. I think we’ve played El Mizouni and Dozzell out wide, but they’re not wide players. So it’s an area we need to improve. We’ve also changed formations around which may not help having a settled team or style of play. Players like Judge and Edwards should have done better at this level. We’ve got injured players in Lankester and Sears who could offer something out wide, but I can’t see Lankester back this season. Dobra perhaps, but he seems more of a number 10?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:06 pm

Good debate lads keep it up 👍

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:34 pm

Isn't Judge's best position just behind the loan front player ?
Think we all agree the one up front doesn't work though.

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:06 am

Marvinbay1973 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:34 pm
Isn't Judge's best position just behind the loan front player ?
Think we all agree the one up front doesn't work though.
Judge has played this role a couple of times away this season I recall. Gillingham was one. I think this may have been Lamberts first choice formation preseason but judges injury and the Colchester game changed thoughts.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:22 am

I’ve yet to see Judge be truly influential in any game he’s played for Town since he’s been at the Club. Which is quite remarkable, given the number of International call ups he’s had, and games we’ve postponed as a result of. In fact two of the games that were postponed because he was away in International duty, he didn’t even play in when they were re arranged. I personally feel this postponement policy by Lambert is just an excuse to break up the season and “ rest” players. Whether this found to be prudent will become evident over the second half of the season. I sincerely hope Lamberts got this right as this maybe our only serious attempt at promotion with the better players we currently have in the squad. 🤞