Tommy Smith releases by Colorado it seems

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Tommy Smith releases by Colorado it seems

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:52 pm

https://www.coloradorapids.com/post/201 ... 020-season

So perhaps his training at Yown s few weeks ago was no coincidence?

Could he do at job for Town at League One level ? I’m not so sure tbh !

What do others think ?

nicscreamer

Re: Tommy Smith releases by Colorado it seems

Post by nicscreamer » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:15 pm

Im not sure its defenders we really need. We are not conceding lots, Its goals we need

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:23 pm

Knowing ME he’ll sell Woolfenden to Fulham, and replace him with Smith!

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:32 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:23 pm
Knowing ME he’ll sell Woolfenden to Fulham, and replace him with Smith!
I almost vomited when I had the same thought, we can laugh about it now, but I wouldn't put it past him!!

Nothing against Smith by the way, I rate him higher than most do round here, but I also rate Evans lower than most it seems :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:13 pm

Would you rate Smith above Nsiala? I think I might. But yes it wouldn’t surprise me Town sold Woolfie and brought in Smith. It’s just the sort of dumb thing we’d do isn’t 🙄

Hope not though ! But maybe off load Nsiala and get Smith in ? Mind you I’m not sure how fit Smith would be .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:03 pm

NO NO NO.... he was crap the first time he was here, if we sell Woolfy and bring this guy back I think I'm done with it.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:45 pm

NO NO NO from me too - walk away and remember him as an OK player at best. We have moved on and should keep moving on!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:49 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:03 pm
NO NO NO.... he was crap the first time he was here, if we sell Woolfy and bring this guy back I think I'm done with it.
And that would be 100% understandable.

Always maintained that maybe he was just sh*te on Tv...... but some attending ITFC fans had confirmed that this wasn’t the case. Pish.

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:00 am

Bluemike wrote:
I think it’s inevitable Woolfy will be sold at some point along with Downs at some point. The only way I can see this not happening is with back to back promotions. As I mentioned a few months back I think it’s the money from theses players that will see us promoted not the players themselves.

See no point in bringing Smith back. Need to look forward not back.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:58 am

Ando wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:00 am
Bluemike wrote:
I think it’s inevitable Woolfy will be sold at some point along with Downs at some point. The only way I can see this not happening is with back to back promotions. As I mentioned a few months back I think it’s the money from theses players that will see us promoted not the players themselves.
This makes good sense.

If we sell Wolfy for a decent wedge and bring in a backup for Norwood along with Smith as a rarely used backup for our existing defenders. This might be just what we need to secure promotion this season.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:49 am

It definitely does make sense. Except back to back promotions will never happen. Not unless JK Rowling starts writing the script and it all becomes fantasy. So from that angle, only a matter of time before Flynn Downes is off to pastures “a couple of tiers higher” new.
Won’t comment on Woolfenden as saw nothing and read little.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:25 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:58 am
Ando wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:00 am
Bluemike wrote:
This makes good sense.

If we sell Wolfy for a decent wedge and bring in a backup for Norwood along with Smith as a rarely used backup for our existing defenders. This might be just what we need to secure promotion this season.
I read Ando’s post as selling Woolfy after we get get promoted ( if we do) from this division- not during it. But that’s just my perception and if we do get into the Championship then I’d happily sell Downes and Woolf to PL clubs for mega bucks. If these kids get a season or two more with us, they might turn from 3-4 million pound players to 20 + million pound players. That might be enough to finance a push in the Championship. Back to back promotions? I can see us getting promoted, but I see us struggling next season if we did. Championship sides would tear us apart and we’re now struggling to create enough chances against League One sides.
We shouldn’t need to sell Downes or Woolf this season. Selling Dozzell wouldn’t upset me if we want to bring in some cash - but, apart from another striker, our squad should be good enough. If it’s not, then Lambert isn’t getting enough out of the squad.
We don’t need Smith - just another squad-filler taking up wages. We need a striker who can hold the ball up and score a few - not another defender.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:57 am

The danger will be the club missing out on promotion this season. Downes will be off to a championship side (minimum) in my opinion. And for considerably less cash. He’s too talented for League One.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:38 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:13 pm
Would you rate Smith above Nsiala?
Most likely, but who knows what level he has been playing at, he's 29, a good age for a defender and played 247 games with us at Championship level, so can't see him being disastrous a division down if he's fit and has carried on learning.

It's not ideal though, certainly wouldn't except him back as a straight swap for Woolfenden.

I think it's been proved that this squad is capable of getting promoted, but that it is a veeeeeery long way from a sure thing, we can't jeopardise that, we should still be looking to grow in quality.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:28 pm

I don't agree with the statement "we should be scoring goals in div 1 . It's just as hard to score goals in any division. We don't have the forwards we had last year and I would also put on that statement, we shouldn't concede that many goals either, it is a misnomer.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:36 pm

Well it is murder, Watership.

Would that be Misnomer Murders?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:25 am

Ricco wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:38 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:13 pm
Would you rate Smith above Nsiala?
Most likely, but who knows what level he has been playing at, he's 29, a good age for a defender and played 247 games with us at Championship level, so can't see him being disastrous a division down if he's fit and has carried on learning.

It's not ideal though, certainly wouldn't except him back as a straight swap for Woolfenden.

I think it's been proved that this squad is capable of getting promoted, but that it is a veeeeeery long way from a sure thing, we can't jeopardise that, we should still be looking to grow in quality.
Despite what Lambert has said “ Smith is just training with us”, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get offered a short term contract in January. If nothing else he would offer cover.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:38 am

Hopefully just a nice warm cover for the players on the bench in a cold January, Hallam.

I’ve heard this before from Hibs fans as well regarding certain past players, the offering cover idea when referring to a liability? They’re offering potential unrest, not cover.

Thankfully for you guys I’m not a manager, but I’d drop a midfielder into defence to try things out before using Smith. And if Smith must play, put him up front beside Norwood because goals need to start happening. People going on about his ability from the corners.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:16 pm

Our most consistent performer this seas9n , and ever present ( until today I suspect), is Skuse. Now he can play in defence. But I have a horrible feeling he won’t be in the team today. We will miss him.

As for Smith as a threat at set pieces, yer he was definitely that. Best header of the ball at the Club in his time here.

Wonder if we could bend the rules a tad, and sneak him on just for corners and free kicks? 🤔

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:07 am

Looks like Smith might be off to Huddersfield or even back to Colorado - nothing in this by the look of it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:53 pm

Phew