Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Tough place to win at?

Portsmouth Win
36%
Ipswich Win
43%
Draw
21%

Total votes: 14

derick_ipsw

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:30 pm

4-3-3 now ffs no wonder we are losing players don't no what the f*ck is going on. LAMBERT is a fault for this im afraid. :x

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:34 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:30 pm
4-3-3 now ffs no wonder we are losing players don't no what the f*ck is going on. LAMBERT is a fault for this im afraid. :x
1-0 down, PL has put a third striker on seems to make sense to me

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:53 pm

So every foul is warranting a yellow card now is it ?

Be interested hearing what the people who seeing the game says

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:55 pm

Ando wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:34 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
We started 3-5-2 then 4-4-2 then 4-3-3 might make sense to you Einstein but to players it's a f**king shambles.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:58 pm

This rotation crap is clearly not working & is likely to cost us promotion, ffs we haven't won a league game in weeks.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:00 pm

Once again Lambert gets it wrong ( IMO)

Wrong team selection
Wrong formation

Ffs just go for a simple 4-4-2
Use the BEST PLAYERS
STICK WITH THEM !!!!!!

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:00 pm

Why do you call Ando " Einstein" ?

What do you want? The team seemingly obvious in being second best on the day to Portsmouth, if he stayed the same formation would be calling out "Change it Lambert" Rightly or wrongly Lambert is trying change it to get something

Name calling doesn't help

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:02 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:00 pm
Once again Lambert gets it wrong ( IMO)

Wrong team selection
Wrong formation

Ffs just go for a simple 4-4-2
Use the BEST PLAYERS
STICK WITH THEM !!!!!!
I do agree, its League 1 not the Champions league so i totally agree.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:02 pm

Starting to lose my patience with PL now, he does not sort this out asap he can do one! Poxy useles bunch who have the cheek to call themselves professionals, Chambers your a liability!!

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:05 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:00 pm
Why do you call Ando " Einstein" ?

What do you want? The team seemingly obvious in being second best on the day to Portsmouth, if he stayed the same formation would be calling out "Change it Lambert" Rightly or wrongly Lambert is trying change it to get something

Name calling doesn't help
Been called worse 😂

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:06 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:53 pm

If you’re referring to Chambers red card .... then he made two stupid fouls in wide areas where he got turned or over-powered. They were yellow cards. Honestly, you shouldn’t give yellow cards away in those areas there if you’re experienced. Harrison got the better of that duel. It doesn’t matter a f*ck .... Pompey deserves that whether Chambers was on the field or not. Just terrible team selection from the start and another team trying to work each other out. Lambert’s making this more difficult than is necessary.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:06 pm

Its not all Lambert's fault, he can only select the team then once over that white line it is then up to the players

The players also need to look at themselves. Only good thing today is the other results. Thank goodness they went best possible way for us

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:08 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:06 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:

If you’re referring to Chambers red card .... then he made two stupid fouls in wide areas where he got turned or over-powered. They were yellow cards. Honestly, you shouldn’t give yellow cards away in those areas there if you’re experienced. Harrison got the better of that duel. It doesn’t matter a f*ck .... Pompey deserves that whether Chambers was on the field or not. Just terrible team selection from the start and another team trying to work each other out. Lambert’s making this more difficult than is necessary.

No not just Chambers but in whole, just seems the refs are booking far more in this league than possibly needed

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:15 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:08 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Steve and Jo wrote:

No not just Chambers but in whole, just seems the refs are booking far more in this league than possibly needed
Thats excuses. The bookings made no difference to the game. The red card to Chambers was late and the game has fizzled out. We were second best. Simple.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:22 pm

Terrible day all round, deserved nothing and Lambert didn't get a lot right today, odd starting line up, no pace up front. A few points though
Yes Nsiala is a Red waiting to happen but he won every header while he was on the pitch, he haf to be subbed as they were targeting him after his early Yellow, what Lambert replaced him with was stupid, Wilson on the bench so we use Skuse and bring on Judge, bizarre !!!

Norris c*ck up cost us the goal, yes he saved a couple too but stick with the best keeper ffs.

Will keane is a joke and the Two chances Norwood missed second half should have seen us score at least one of them.

For me Nolan was our best player but didn't have many rivals for that accolade.

I predicted a defeat and unfortunately it came to pass, the next Two will be wins and the fight back will be on.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:22 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:

More worrying to me is committing 22 fouls. Week after week we commit more fouls than the opposition. That is a sign of being outplayed.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:23 pm

Town in 3rd place now.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:25 pm

I don’t know about a bump in the road this is turning into more like a f****** great pothole.
Makes you wonder if Lambert’s rotation policy is more a case of him not having a clue what his settled side should be or what formation suits us best.
Time for PR Paul to start to earn his corn and turn things around quickly or come the end part of the season it won’t matter how fresh the players are.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:26 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:15 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:08 pm
tangfastic wrote:

Thats excuses. The bookings made no difference to the game. The red card to Chambers was late and the game has fizzled out. We were second best. Simple.
Was not making any excuses whatsoever. If we played crap and Portsmouth deserved to win then so be it. That was just a question and not trying to find any excuse

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:26 pm

I had hoped that Dozzell would keep his place after a couple of decent performances. But as has been said here and elsewhere, playing well seems to be no guarantee of keeping your place.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:27 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:22 pm
Terrible day all round, deserved nothing and Lambert didn't get a lot right today, odd starting line up, no pace up front. A few points though
Yes Nsiala is a Red waiting to happen but he won every header while he was on the pitch, he haf to be subbed as they were targeting him after his early Yellow, what Lambert replaced him with was stupid, Wilson on the bench so we use Skuse and bring on Judge, bizarre !!!

Norris c*ck up cost us the goal, yes he saved a couple too but stick with the best keeper ffs.

Will keane is a joke and the Two chances Norwood missed second half should have seen us score at least one of them.

I predicted a defeat and unfortunately it came to pass, the next Two will be wins and the fight back will be on.
I hope your right.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:32 pm

Bluemike wrote:

Mick Mills sounds bloody distraught at how Lambert is handling the team tbh .

Something has to change in Lambert’s mind set , of we roll continual to drop down this division.

What an opportunity missed FFS !!

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:38 pm

This is getting problematic. A series of poor performances and results has, as I feared, dragged us back into the chasing pack.

We have the capacity to get back on track but it has to happen soon. The confidence of the team is visibly ebbing away. Lambert needs to settle on a team and a formation and stick with it.

In spite of my reservations when Lambert was appointed I thought he would be a very good manager at this level. I'm beginning to have my doubts about that.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:55 pm

All these 'lovely' 1-0 wins back in September when some of us had been voicing concerns as to how we performed. All was fine and rosy for some though.

Current 'blip' doesn't surprise me at all as our squad isn't as good as some people think.

Plus the manager and his ... 'tactics'.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:38 pm

Andym wrote:
More worrying to me is committing 22 fouls. Week after week we commit more fouls than the opposition. That is a sign of being outplayed.
Not a sign. It’s SMS. Scottish manager syndrome.
“Let no one past. And if they do, f**king snap them.”

I too unfortunately predicted the loss in the prediction league (correctly wrong @ 2-1)
Needs sorted out, Lambo. Preferably over the festive season but definitely in January.
Come on, 👏👏 CHOP CHOP, get it sorted.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:02 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:55 pm
Ando wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:
We started 3-5-2 then 4-4-2 then 4-3-3 might make sense to you Einstein but to players it's a f**king shambles.
How do you know it’s a shambles to players are you one?

Pre match tinkering, I accept people’s views on rotation but in game changes are often needed and it would appear the in game changes were necessary.

If Lambert had not made the changes people would have slated him for that.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:07 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:38 pm
Andym wrote:
Not a sign. It’s SMS. Scottish manager syndrome.
“Let no one past. And if they do, f**king snap them.”

I too unfortunately predicted the loss in the prediction league (correctly wrong @ 2-1)
Needs sorted out, Lambo. Preferably over the festive season but definitely in January.
Come on, 👏👏 CHOP CHOP, get it sorted.

You just been bailed from the Easter Road rising today marko ? :mrgreen:

Tbh the red card seemed harsh to me . He ( Hibs player) clearly won the ball. The player just seemed to ride that tackle tbh !

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:14 pm

Ando wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:02 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Ando wrote:

Pre match tinkering, I accept people’s views on rotation but in game changes are often needed and it would appear the in game changes were necessary.

I agree Ando. I think Lambert HAD to make in game changes because Nsiala had already been booked early on and was apparently being targeted by Pompey , so was in danger if seeing s red card I believe. So PL has to bring him off. Tactical change . Understood that. He then had to get to half time , so when he brings Judge on ( was he the right player to bring in ? I don’t know) he had to change the formation. Then at half time he regroups and changes formation again . Again , I can accept that.

But before a ball was even kicked today , I’d question why Nsiala was picked in the first place ,( he’s been an absolute liability all season, IMO), and why in a back three? We really don’t seem to go too well with this formation.
Why not? Say
Woolfie .....Donacien.... Chambo .... Wilson

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:24 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:14 pm
Ando wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:

I agree Ando. I think Lambert HAD to make in game changes because Nsiala had already been booked early on and was apparently being targeted by Pompey , so was in danger if seeing s red card I believe. So PL has to bring him off. Tactical change . Understood that. He then had to get to half time , so when he brings Judge on ( was he the right player to bring in ? I don’t know) he had to change the formation. Then at half time he regroups and changes formation again . Again , I can accept that.

But before a ball was even kicked today , I’d question why Nsiala was picked in the first place ,( he’s been an absolute liability all season, IMO), and why in a back three? We really don’t seem to go too well with this formation.
Why not? Say
I suppose it comes down to whether or PL was going to change shape at half time anyway and decided to do it earlier coz Nsiala was walking a fine line, only PL knows. But if the formation was working he could have put Wilson on.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:50 pm

Ando wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:24 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:14 pm
Ando wrote:

Why not? Say
I suppose it comes down to whether or PL was going to change shape at half time anyway and decided to do it earlier coz Nsiala was walking a fine line, only PL knows. But if the formation was working he could have put Wilson on.
Not anymore to old. :shock:
Last edited by derick_ipsw on Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.