Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Tough place to win at?

Portsmouth Win
36%
Ipswich Win
43%
Draw
21%

Total votes: 14

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:51 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:44 am
Bluemike wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:39 am
I agree, just posted above. He is getting it wrong but I still think it will be sorted, the long blip looks worse than it actually is due to the c*ck ups in the Wycombe and Blackpool games which cost us Four points, we actually played well in those games, just as we did for 70 mins against Bristol Rovers.
Bloody hell, Mike, you’re never going to forget about those four lost points!!! :D

I thought the Blackpool game was a fair result and if we’d have been given that disallowed goal against Wycombe, there’s no guarantee we would have won it. We’ve blown slender leads before.

TBH, after 20 games with the way we’ve played - I think we’re pretty fortunate to even be in third place. We really haven’t been playing consistently good football all season. It’s just disappointing we haven’t built on our good start to the season and I’m still waiting for the extra gears - if we have them - to kick in.
I can't forget about them mate, they could prove very costly and whether a draw was a fair result or not we were robbed. But the point I am making is it clouds the situation a little bit and makes it look worse than maybe it actually is ? I know we aren't playing well, we all agree on that but are we playing as badly as some suggest ? I don't think we are tbh. I don't think we are fortunate to be in Third, we've won away seven times to get us there and it matters not how or where you win them the league table at this stage is a fair reflection with the odd anomaly (Wycombe).

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:12 pm

Would never say anything bad about Freddie because I actually rate the laddie when played in his most effective position....... BUT, pinning “saviour” on him screams “desperation” if that’s what’s in the back of lamberts mind.

Mevans ...... the fans KNOW you lose so much every week running this club...... but FOR F SAKE, (you f**king rich “tight” bstd)..... let lambert buy a DECENT striker in January. So what if that striker gets injured. Loosen the transfer window strings a little ya disinterested bawsac.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:23 pm

I agree Marko, relying on Sears to bail us out is crazy in my opinion, he's been out a year, never been prolific and whether played in his favoured position or not has TWICE gone 30+ games without finding the net, this out of position crap annoys me, players that have been played out of position this season alone :- Edwards, Judge, Donacien, Jackson, Garbutt, Skuse, Nolan to name but Seven, probably more, The game moves on, you have to be adaptable and versatile, the players I mention have had to get on with it and boy some of them have taken stick for it, it always seems different with sears, he isn't a saviour and won't be the answer, yes he may bag a goal or two but Garbutt has Five so it's hardly earth shattering should he a get a couple. The player we do miss however and do need back is Teddy Bishop with his mazy runs through the middle and into the box, actually getting passed and committing defenders while creating openings, he's the one we should be enthusing about, trouble is he's biscuit legs.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:55 pm

I agree Freddie as our saviour, IS desperate and considering he’s been out for a year, highly unlikely. BUT it is a desperate position we are in ( and please don’t say we’re 3rd what can go wrong) . The TREND of Towns displays is most definitely downward. I’d hazard a guess , Lambert far from steadying the ship, will become even more erratic in
His team selections as he now comes across to me as desperate.

As to the point of players being played out of position . The question is WHY does he continue to do this? It shows in the teams lack of fluency too . Nolan being just one example . Looks pants in his current role . HE is not happy with it either. Judge is supposedly better in the #10 role, but he’d never played there. Why? Garbutt is far more effective wide left midfield , surely it would better to play players in their best positions?

If I’m being brutally honest here: I’ve lost all confidence in Paul Lambert.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:24 pm

That is pretty damn brutal , Hallam.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:26 pm

She don't mean it :wink: High on codeine

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:38 pm

😋

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:43 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:23 pm
I agree Marko, relying on Sears to bail us out is crazy in my opinion, he's been out a year, never been prolific and whether played in his favoured position or not has TWICE gone 30+ games without finding the net, this out of position crap annoys me, players that have been played out of position this season alone :- Edwards, Judge, Donacien, Jackson, Garbutt, Skuse, Nolan to name but Seven, probably more, The game moves on, you have to be adaptable and versatile, the players I mention have had to get on with it and boy some of them have taken stick for it, it always seems different with sears, he isn't a saviour and won't be the answer, yes he may bag a goal or two but Garbutt has Five so it's hardly earth shattering should he a get a couple. The player we do miss however and do need back is Teddy Bishop with his mazy runs through the middle and into the box, actually getting passed and committing defenders while creating openings, he's the one we should be enthusing about, trouble is he's biscuit legs.
I don't understand how you say we miss Teddy Bishop? He has not kicked a ball this season. When everything was going rosey did we miss Bishop then? So now it's all going tits up how can it be down to Bishop? You know your football BM and you know the problem, it is to many player and formation changes that are killing us. PL needs to stop f**king about game on game.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:49 pm

oooh Derek, we agree on something !!
Last edited by hallamblue on Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:08 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:43 pm

I don't understand how you say we miss Teddy Bishop? He has not kicked a ball this season. When everything was going rosey did we miss Bishop then? So now it's all going tits up how can it be down to Bishop? You know your football BM and you know the problem, it is to many player and formation changes that are killing us. PL needs to stop f**king about game on game.
For some of us (admittedly a minority) it was never "going rosy." We were winning, usually 1-0, and the optimists were saying "wait till we step up a gear".

I see the comments now about Sears and what he might or might not do. Our strikers are, I believe, lacking in confidence as the goals have dried up, but what they need more then anything is someone with creativity to make chances for them. This is exactly why we miss Bishop.

It's also why after a couple of better games when he was getting much more involved, I was sorry to see Dozzell dropped.

I honestly am not convinced that the changes make a huge difference except in goal where defenders need to know which balls the keeper will come for. I think the most significant effect of the changes is on players' confidence.

This is where Lambert will succeed or fail, and at the moment it's clear which way it's going. It's relatively easy for anyone to manage a winning team. It takes a good manager to turn it round when if starts to go wrong. It happens to all teams; at the moment he doesn't seem to put it right.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:08 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:

For some of us (admittedly a minority) it was never "going rosy." We were winning, usually 1-0, and the optimists were saying "wait till we step up a gear". This is a euphemism for "we aren't playing that well."

I see the comments now about Sears and what he might or might not do. Our strikers are, I believe, lacking in confidence as the goals have dried up, but what they need more then anything is someone with creativity to make chances for them. This is exactly why we miss Bishop.

It's also why after a couple of better games when he was getting much more involved, I was sorry to see Dozzell dropped.

I honestly am not convinced that the changes make a huge difference except in goal where defenders need to know which balls the keeper will come for. I think the most significant effect of the changes is on players' confidence.

This is where Lambert will succeed or fail, and at the moment it's clear which way it's going. It's relatively easy for anyone to manage a winning team. It takes a good manager to turn it round when if starts to go wrong. It happens to all teams; at the moment he doesn't seem to put it right.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:17 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:23 pm
I can't remember the exact thread but if you look back to around pre season I said that Bishop is going to be a massive player for us this season and he would have been, what I should have said in the previous post is we miss a Teddy Bishop type of player big time.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:27 pm

I can't agree with all of that statement, Andy. I think constant changes have a profound effect on the way individuals become a team. Confidence certainly affects individual performances, but if the team is in sync usually those deficiencies can be overcome or managed. I played a lot of football years ago, and in most cases we didn't even begin to click until halfway through the season...and that's with few changes in the line up. I know professional players have to be more adaptable, but they're also human.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:55 am

number 9 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:27 pm
I can't agree with all of that statement, Andy. I think constant changes have a profound effect on the way individuals become a team. Confidence certainly affects individual performances, but if the team is in sync usually those deficiencies can be overcome or managed. I played a lot of football years ago, and in most cases we didn't even begin to click until halfway through the season...and that's with few changes in the line up. I know professional players have to be more adaptable, but they're also human.
I totally agree. Surely, the outfield changes make a difference to team understanding, but also affect player confidence. You play well and then you’re dropped. You begin to build an understanding with some other team-mates, but then find you’re playing alongside someone totally different and passes go astray because players aren’t where you expect them to be.

Last year, we made lots of changes, but that was down to a desperate attempt to turn around defeats and stumble upon something. This season, no desperation, but a seemingly arrogant approach that we can alternate players and formations and still get wins. We’re not good enough for that and the opposition aren’t as crap as we thought they are. We should have realised that some time ago and Lambert should have gone back to basics - pick the best eleven and formation consistently. Now, there is a feeling of desperation where some are looking for a Messiah or Saviour (Sears, Bishop, etc) to kick-start things. It’s feeling a bit Bonnie Tyler where we seem to be holding out for a Hero. I bet her heroes never spent a year out with an ACL or the last 5 years on the treatment table!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:17 am

I totally agree with that tang. I think 99% of the fan base do too. We are all wanting PL to succeed here , but most of all fir him to bring some much needed team stability right .

Here’s hoping this happens starting from Boxing Day 👍

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:00 am

I do agree that Lambert is overdoing the rotation but I do think both goals and our home form will improve.Norwood has been a 20 goal a season striker for most of his professional career and will be so this season. Don't forget he was carrying a groin injury for the early part of the season and hasn't been back long from his op.He has missed chances he should have taken but doesn't hide and his record indicates that he will score as many as he misses.Jackson (if he is fit) has to be a regular starter with Norwood. Keane is obviously a skillful footballer but with what end result? His record suggests he doesn't score a lot of goals (a bit like Sears in that department). People should get over their feelings about Nsiala. He's been injured and hasn't hit his straps yet but he was one of the best defenders in the division when we bought him and ,personally, I think he will be very important for us before the season is over. Don't let this site become another TWTD with all their instant moaners the moment we have an under par performance. Sides nearly always have downturns during a promotion season - Liverpool ,so far , are an exception. I'm with Mike in being reasonably optimistic about us claiming one of the automatic promotion spots by the season end.
For me the Wycombe game is very important. Win that and we'll be on our way. I have my ticket.Bring it on!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:02 pm

RRanger wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:00 am
I'm with Mike in being reasonably optimistic about us claiming one of the automatic promotion spots by the season end.
Yes, but based on what? This is where the borderline unrest stems from with all fans. The results are not suggesting promotion so surely automatic promotion is based purely on hope? Which all fans hope is it not?
Having said that, some fans no doubt want a double relegation to prove some weirdo b*stard point!

Got a buddy who said, quote, “we’ll feckin hump Hearts on Thursday.”
Based on what???
“Hearts are Shyte.”
😂 Hibs are world class right enough!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:42 pm

Why are results not suggesting promotion ? You are basing that purely on recent results and not the season as a whole, with the game in hand we are still potentially second, that is promotion.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:51 pm

Yes it’s based on both performances and results. Early results are now history unfortunately. The results haven’t been great of late and the early results were, by some, poor performances. So from that, saying automatic promotion is a chance (which it no doubt is) can’t be based on what’s beinh witnessed?? Must be hope? No?
Can only use Hibs as an example. Some people saying jack will have them finishing 4th. Based on what? Hope?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:56 pm

I’m actually struggling to understand the “season as a whole” thinking, Mike?

Who cares if the team were top for 8 weeks if they end up finishing 7th? Which going by RECENT performances is more likely than auto promotion?

I suppose that is the concern of some fans. I don’t see that as knee-jerk...... I see that as valid concerns based on recent reports. Otherwise What’s the point in reading anything post match from any source?

At the end of the day, Lambert, @ home, to Gillingham MUST be a win. Justified unrest if its not. Lambert & Players need to step up on Boxing Day.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:27 pm

Out of curiosity, had to google the current form table over 5 matches, week 18-23....... Ipswich town are 21st. Relegation form. So this can only prove, (as of this very moment in time) aspirations of top 2 are purely “hope” based. Five matches is certainly a big enough span of games to judge this from.

Edit: by the way, none of this is having a go at anyone’s ideas of where Ipswich are heading , Really it’s not......., it’s merely trying to understand where people’s ideas are ACTUALLY coming from. It is just “fans blind faith and hope” or is there a hidden “something” that other fans are missing. Nothing controversial here.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:34 pm

This is why I say people are too negative, the early season results are irrelevant because they are a while ago? If we win on Boxing Day then the poor run becomes history, that to me is about as knee jerk as it gets. Some say early season performances were poor, that is purely opinion, I disagree for the most part and they are probably the same ones who vote for an opposition victory every week. Ranger chose to be positive which seems to irk the negative brigade, I get we all have an opinion but I know where I choose to be.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:39 pm

Yep, I understand you’re choosing to be in a particular camp, and no one can change the early season OR make it relevant to now...... but the form can’t be ignored. Even by a positive person? Some are not choosing to be negative, some who are mostly positive are feeling a tad negative. The form doesn’t suggest auto promotion so like I say to several Hibs fans, “that must be hope based, otherwise, WHAT ARE YOU BASING THAT ON? Tell me, I want to be properly positive like you!”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:32 pm

I'm basing my positivity on the FACT we will be second IF we get something from our game in hand, that is a promotion place, I also take comfort that despite our iffy run of late we have still only lost 4 games, less than second place Peterborough, in fact only Wycombe & Coventry have lost less but Coventry have won 20% less games than us, all facts.

Ando summed it up perfectly for me and that is exactly how I see it, when you dont get the results your performances merit (Wycombe, Blackpool and Bristol Rovers) the defeats and off days are magnified Ten fold. I am still more than happy with our situation which is better than most predicted pre season but expectation levels rose and while Lambert said the good start meant little it was the FANS that started the we are gonna walk the league comments, they created the furore and now want to tear it down at the first bump in the road which Lambert also warned us of, he asked us to stick with them, most are hopefully just about doing that and holding their nerve, then you get the others..

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:47 pm

Yep, that's all fair enough......., and you've answered my question. Clearly. Remember, the question was about achieving automatic promotion come seasons end. You clearly have more than hope and have pure "belief". Which is no bad thing whatsoever. Based on current form, it's no doubt "hope" for the majority of others.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:11 pm

I'm fully aware as a person I am often way too positive especially with Town but equally at times the negativity for me is something else which I struggle with, without hope and belief we have nothing following Town

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:33 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:11 pm
......but equally at times the negativity for me is something else which I struggle with,......
And speaking purely as devils advocate and for people who may not be able to (or just struggle to) hold an amicable conversation ^^^^^ that can work both ways. I know you'll say you don't care and you'll support ITFC through thick & thin etc but when the form is poor coupled with the boss tinkering like Paul Jewell with every passing game, concerns are raised and that's not negative. To be honest, I don't think I've read one properly negative post. Maybe Hallam and her brutally honest "loss of faith" post, but she was joking, surely? (Cue Airplane post) ......, but most are just hoping that the so called blip can be over. And sooner rather than later when there are 12 teams all looking at 2nd place.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:18 pm

I've read we will finish mid table etc etc

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:47 pm

To Mike's list (Wycombe,Blackpool,Bristol R) of not getting the results our performances merited, I'd add Sunderland where we bossed the game, albeit with only a one goal lead, and then Chambers' error cost us a win and 2pts that we deserved. I know every team will have moments that shouldn't have happened but the league table would be looking very different if we'd got 3 points against Sunderland instead of one. We'd still be second with a 2 point lead over Peterborough and a game in hand. We do have a strong squad and whilst I don't like Lambert's constant rotation I believe we'll finish the season very strongly with a much fitter group of players than the likes of Wycombe,Peterbro,Coventry etc.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:21 am

I think the reason we has bent got we deserved from those games RRanger is simply because Town cannot put games to bed and score that second goal.

I’ve lost count this season Of the games we have bossed , scored a goal and then hung on for dear life as we either retreat into our shells and try and hang on or the opposition re group at half time and we don’t have the resilience to fight the off.

If we could only get that 2nd goal BEFORE the opposition score their goal, I’m sure we’d have far more points on the board and PL wouldn’t be rotating his squad like a blooming merriground every game !