Terry Hunt on Town (EADT 23rd Dec)

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Terry Hunt on Town (EADT 23rd Dec)

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:00 am

North Stander TERRY HUNT reflects on a poor away day for Town at Portsmouth, as they fall out of the automatic promotion places.

Why on earth was Paul Lambert banging on about the referee's performance after his team's dismal defeat against Portsmouth on Saturday?

He should have been fully focused on his own mystifying selection and tactics - and another dreadful display from his increasingly lacklustre players.

If it was a tactic to distract attention from those shortcomings, it certainly didn't work. Social media was awash with criticism of the manager on Saturday evening. As I said last week, the Lambert honeymoon is well and truly over.

While some people go to extremes - just because your honeymoon has finished doesn't mean you instantly get a divorce! - I have to say much of the criticism is justified.

Yes, Lambert is right when he says we would have taken our current league position if we had been offered it before the start of the season. There is, as he says, a long way to go.

But that's missing the point.

What is so worrying is our slump in form. Slump is the word now, because it's been going on for so long. A "dip" or a "blip" is something which comes and goes quickly. A "slump" hangs around, like a bad smell.

Lambert certainly has some questions to answer after the game at Portsmouth. Firstly, why did he revert to three at the back, with wing-backs?

Why, in particular, did Toto Nsiala start, leaving the reliable James Wilson on the bench? It defies logic.

By all accounts Nsiala is a very nice chap, but this season he can only be described as a liability. So it proved at Fratton Park. An early yellow card meant he was walking a tightrope, and Lambert was forced to withdraw him before half-time.

Another question for Lambert. When Nsiala came off, why on earth didn't he revert to 4-4-2 and abandon 3-5-2 which so clearly wasn't working? But no, he ploughed on, with Cole Skuse playing out of position at the back.

Only much later, when Janoi Donacien was introduced to play right-back in a traditional back four, did the team start to come to life. Meanwhile, Wilson warmed the bench for 90 minutes. Absolutely mystifying.

More questions. Why did Will Keane start, and not Kayden Jackson? Early in the season, when we were flying, it was clear that Jackson and James Norwood were a lethal combination up front. Lambert seems to have abandoned that.

Then there is the goalkeeping situation. On what basis is he alternating Will Norris and Tomas Holy? Is it because the terms of Norris' loan deal stipulate that he has to play?

James Norwood appears to handle Jon Nolan’s through ball ahead of shooting wide.

Surely defenders need the same goalkeeper playing behind them game after game to build an understanding? Mind you, our defence changes every game, so there's no chance of any understanding developing!

Town fans have long given up trying to second-guess Lambert's team selections, and formations. An hour before kick-off, when the team is announced, we look at our phones and try to work out how the team will set up. We're usually wrong!

According to my rudimentary maths, Lambert has made 55 changes in our last eight games. So, an average of seven per game. Some of those were cup games, so it's slightly unfair. But you get the point.

Lambert, of course, seems to think we're over-reacting. He always said we would have bumps in the road this season. But a bump in the road means a couple of defeats - not the dreadful run we've been on.

We've now dropped out of the automatic promotion places for the first time since August. Of course, we're not halfway through the season yet, but the most worrying aspect is that Lambert appears to be nowhere near knowing his best line-up.

If this chopping and changing and utter lack of continuity goes on much longer, we'll be outside the top six and playing catch-up.

We've stopped hurting teams.

No creativity, no cutting edge. Yet again, very few efforts on goal at Portsmouth.

You know the most infuriating thing? This is all so unnecessary. We started the season really strongly, so Lambert should have settled on his strongest line-up way back then. We have, as I've said so many times, the strongest squad in League One. But the manager is in danger of throwing it all away.

All of the above makes the Boxing Day game against Gillingham at Portman Road an important and no doubt nervy affair. We must get back on track.

bluejacko

Re: Terry Hunt on Town (EADT 23rd Dec)

Post by bluejacko » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:50 pm

Not a lot wrong there! Also the same excuses from last year are starting to surface again,
ie, we know we must do better etc etc.

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:24 pm

Have to say I agree with all of this.
Lambert is a good manager, but I feel he needs the investment that Norwich gave him to improve the squad.
Evans is running scared as an owner, He's looking at the amount of money already invested, and what need to be, and just see it going up, without any change. Mick and Paul could have gotten/get us back to the Premiership with the money that he spewed out for the managers before, but I do feel he's now saying enough is enough, let face it £100 million isn't chicken feed is it. and I do feel without Evans though we wouldn't have a club to moan about.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:32 pm

I agree Bluejacko....... but....... if anyone has the time over the Christmas holidays to read over the past 300 pages of relevant threads...... (takes a while, but if you scan read, it’s quicker)..... you’ll see that it’s not just the same excuses since last year. It’s been the same excuses since the Paul Jewell days.

My opinion, (FWIW) is that maybe Lambert has a squad simmering with unrest. He’s trying to keep everyone happy instead of being a bit “Fergie” and really stamping his authority on things. For me, I can’t think of any other reason whatsoever why the changes are so extreme. If Norwood and/or Jackson are fit, they play, every game. Just like Mariner in the old days.
The back 4 by this time of the season should be set ...... and no idea at all about the goalkeeper situation. That’s just weird. Unless of course it’s true that there is some insane rule in the terms that Norris must play a few. Crazy.
But if it’s not all calm in the ranks, (which is my opinion) then that needs addressed by Lambert, a Lambert with bigger, hairier balls.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:34 pm

K L Blue wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:24 pm
Have to say I agree with all of this.
Lambert is a good manager, but I feel he needs the investment that Norwich gave him to improve the squad.
Yep, I was going to add to my post that Mevans is a common denominator in things, but didn’t want to create a “Mevans out” theme.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:40 pm

The Town are going up
The Town are going up
And now you're gonna believe me
The Town are going up........

Merry Christmas you negative sods :lol: :lol:
Hic Hic Hic

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:50 pm

Not negative....... I think most believe Lambert is a very good manager trapped in amongst a series of difficult circumstances .....,but he needs to be a bit more ruthless. His pressers are actually becoming slightly irritating and I honestly didn’t think that’d happen. I really like Lambo , always have, even when he was a Celtic tit, and I’m desparate for him to succeed.

The danger with him being more “Fergie” is players not playing for him anymore...... what the REAL Fergie had at his disposal were a bunch of youngsters like the Scholes’s and Beckhams at his disposal when he thought seniors weren’t pulling their weight. Lambert doesn’t have that comfort but he must start sending some messages to his players, and that needs to start by cutting back slightly on being so forgiving in the press conferences.
Opinion of course.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:39 pm

There again dropping Dozzell and Jackson following last weeks impressive performances could be construed as ruthless

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:54 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:39 pm
There again dropping Dozzell and Jackson following last weeks impressive performances could be construed as ruthless
Or bloody stupid.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:05 pm

Yes, that’d be a whole different type of weird ruthlessness that I’m not talking about.

People have said the squad is too big..... time to be ruthless, pick the best 11-16, and give them a run. If the other 20 cry, Dock them wages. RUTHLESS!!!!!

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:18 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:39 pm
I told you he had lost the plot weeks ago. :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:24 pm

I don't think it's him that's lost the plot

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:28 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:24 pm
I don't think it's him that's lost the plot
EXPLAIN?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:49 pm

He's making mistakes agreed, that isn't losing the plot

Ando

Post by Ando » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:04 pm

I think the problem is PL wants to play 3 centre backs but has not had all 4 available enough of the time. It does at times looks like he’s chasing a result and does not know what he’s doing and this is magnified when results What will define him this season is can he change his approach and do something different by not rotating.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:41 pm

Ando wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:04 pm
I think the problem is PL wants to play 3 centre backs but has not had all 4 available enough of the time. It does at times looks like he’s chasing a result and does not know what he’s doing and this is magnified when results What will define him this season is can he change his approach and do something different by not rotating.
Huh... He’s got three CB’s available most of the time... and then Nsiala... and Skuse has played there as well.... even Kenlock.. We’ve got plenty of CB’s. Lambert’s causing his own problem by messing around. You’ve said it it in the last last sentence using the words change, different, rotating.

Ando

Post by Ando » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:14 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:41 pm
Ando wrote:
Huh... He’s got three CB’s available most of the time... and then Nsiala... and Skuse has played there as well.... even Kenlock.. We’ve got plenty of CB’s. Lambert’s causing his own problem by messing around. You’ve said it it in the last last sentence using the words change, different, rotating.
Nsiala had been out for a while Whilst Kenlock hit a bit of form and is not a front line centre back. Yes Skuse can play there. Agree Lambert is probably over thinking things hence my previous post. Keep it simple now to turn the tide

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:18 pm

Ando wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:14 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:41 pm
Ando wrote:
Nsiala had been out for a while Whilst Kenlock hit a bit of form and is not a front line centre back. Yes Skuse can play there. Agree Lambert is probably over thinking things hence my previous post. Keep it simple now to turn the tide
You’ve nailed it, Einstein :D

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:52 am

E=MC2 or 3 5 2 = 3 points