Ipswich Town vs Gillingham FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A late Christmas present?

Ipswich Win
71%
Gillingham Win
24%
Draw
6%

Total votes: 17

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Gillingham FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:49 am

marko69 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:01 am
Bluemike wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:32 am
Lmao, the thing is Lambert is 100% serious and correct, he doesn't care if he's sacked, he isn't saying he wants it, he's saying if it happens it happens and life goes on, there will only be one loser should it arise and it most certainly won't be Paul Lambert. For what it's worth its nonsense cus it aint even close to happening and Lambert is treating the sh*te put his way with the contempt it deserves.
You’re missing the point. He wasn’t asked anything about being sacked, or asked to leave etc. ..... the reporters were taken aback by he himself bringing it up. He’s sort of full of sh*t during this (hopefully) minor blip.
I'm not missing the point, this is the question put to him that prompted his reaction to change.....
: I know the cup games made it a bit of an odd schedule, but even taking them out the equation it's 10 points from 10 league games now. That form, over a prolonged period, is not going to get you where you want to be this season.
He then went on about if the club want to appoint a new manager blah blah blah, it followed a question about no shots on target so it was a reaction to a few inferences that things weren't good enough or acceptable that prompted his reaction, I think everyone else is missing the point as to why he turned, he was beibg questioned about his capabilities etc.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:11 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:49 am
marko69 wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Lmao, the thing is Lambert is 100% serious and correct, he doesn't care if he's sacked, he isn't saying he wants it, he's saying if it happens it happens and life goes on, there will only be one loser should it arise and it most certainly won't be Paul Lambert. For what it's worth its nonsense cus it aint even close to happening and Lambert is treating the sh*te put his way with the contempt it deserves.
You’re missing the point. He wasn’t asked anything about being sacked, or asked to leave etc. ..... the reporters were taken aback by he himself bringing it up. He’s sort of full of sh*t during this (hopefully) minor blip.
I'm not missing the point, this is the question put to him that prompted his reaction to change.....
: I know the cup games made it a bit of an odd schedule, but even taking them out the equation it's 10 points from 10 league games now. That form, over a prolonged period, is not going to get you where you want to be this season.
He then went on about if the club want to appoint a new manager blah blah blah, it followed a question about no shots on target so it was a reaction to a few inferences that things weren't good enough or acceptable that prompted his reaction, I think everyone else is missing the point as to why he turned, he was beibg questioned about his capabilities etc.
In which case he would have been better off defending his capabilities and justifying his methods, rather tha throwing his toys out of the pram like a spoiled petulant child. He seems to have learned nothing from his days at Villa.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:24 am

I'm not saying he was right to react the way he did, I pointing out why he did it.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:27 am

Bluemike wrote:
marko69 wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
I’ve read the transcript. He was initially asked some open, relatively mild questions about the poor run whereby he could have acknowledged we’re on a bad run and swerved around any inferences. Lambert was the one who took things two or three steps further and was responsible for the further questions. I thought he handled it badly - in fact, pretty petulantly.

TBH - It wouldn’t matter a f*ck if he was getting more out of the team. We all know about bad runs and bad luck, but this team seems to have hit a wall 10-12 games back and seems to be regressing and showing no signs of improvement. The most worrying thing is I can’t see enough positives in our performances to see where we can get a run of wins together. It looks like a team out of ideas and confidence.

If Lambert wants to be here and sort things out - then fine, I’ll support him for the time being .... but if he wants to give stupid, cryptic messages about him leaving or that his job as manager is not important.... then he can f*ck off!!! If he’s not bothered about staying, why should we be bothered as well?

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:31 am

tangfastic wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:27 am
Bluemike wrote:
marko69 wrote:

I’ve read the transcript. He was initially asked some open, relatively mild questions about the poor run whereby he could have acknowledged we’re on a bad run and swerved around any inferences. Lambert was the one who took things two or three steps further and was responsible for the further questions. I thought he handled it badly - in fact, pretty petulantly.

TBH - It wouldn’t matter a f*ck if he was getting more out of the team. We all know about bad runs and bad luck, but this team seems to have hit a wall 10-12 games back and seems to be regressing and showing no signs of improvement. The most worrying thing is I can’t see enough positives in our performances to see where we can get a run of wins together. It looks like a team out of ideas and confidence.

If Lambert wants to be here and sort things out - then fine, I’ll support him for the time being .... but if he wants to give stupid, cryptic messages about him leaving or that his job as manager is not important.... then he can f*ck off!!! If he’s not bothered about staying, why should we be bothered as well?
Well put!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:39 am

He reacted in a similar vein a few weeks back with the "I'll go if the club want me to go" attitude, he repeatedly says rhe club are far more important than him, I'm not sure if rhis is his defence mechanism should it go tits up and he does get the boot or if he genuinely doesnt worry either way. Very odd

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:49 am

Yes Mike, and weeks ago he seriously pissed me off with those answers but I personally kept quiet due to him maybe using some weird tactic to show he’s the boss....... but then he started it again big time yesterday without even being prompted. The questions weren’t anything special, just regular questions that Arsene Wenger was asked, Mourinho at Utd etc etc.

Tang quote:
End quote.

That sums things up. Quit the “club are bigger” f**king pish Paul. To be perfectly honest, football in general never really gets me angry, Hibs or Ipswich; 90 minutes anger then it’s over...... but Lambert yesterday?? :twisted:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:08 am

He was very odd to say the least, a small part of me does wonder if this is paving the way for him to p*ss off again as he has done in the past ? I just think we will struggle to attract anyone better at this level and we most certainly will be back to square one again with the rebuilding of the "club", not so much the team.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:12 am

marko69 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:49 am
Yes Mike, and weeks ago he seriously pissed me off with those answers but I personally kept quiet due to him maybe using some weird tactic to show he’s the boss....... but then he started it again big time yesterday without even being prompted. The questions weren’t anything special, just regular questions that Arsene Wenger was asked, Mourinho at Utd etc etc.

Tang quote:
End quote.

That sums things up. Quit the “club are bigger” f**king pish Paul. To be perfectly honest, football in general never really gets me angry, Hibs or Ipswich; 90 minutes anger then it’s over...... but Lambert yesterday?? :twisted:
Marko
Have to say I agree with you 100%.
If a player came out with comments like he might go or he might stay and he is not bothered about staying there would be uproar. Just look at the reaction when it looked like Judge was on his way to QPR. Also, whether he meant it or not by creating more uncertainty is not going to help the club at this moment in time.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:19 am

Maybe there has been some sort of issue in the dressing room. It doesn’t seem a happy camp at the moment

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:28 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:08 am
He was very odd to say the least, a small part of me does wonder if this is paving the way for him to p*ss off again as he has done in the past ? I just think we will struggle to attract anyone better at this level and we most certainly will be back to square one again with the rebuilding of the "club", not so much the team.
Mike, I think we can attract an experienced manager at this level. Below is a recent interview with an experienced League 1 manager who seems to have a great respect and love of this football club from the Robson days, as well as a great admiration for Marcus Evans. It sounds like he’s already putting his CV out there. He might even be happy to just to be paid in jelly gums.
Worth a shot? :)

“They will have their biggest attendance of the season and I have enormous respect for them as a club.

I was very fortunate to go there when Sir Bobby was around and the same with George Burley, people who had Ipswich through the middle of them.”

“I got to know Sir Bobby when he was there, just briefly, not that well, but his little mate Charlie (Woods) said ‘let me see if I can get you in to watch training’. I can remember I used to take those little jelly gums with me and Sir Bobby loved them. He said ‘you can come back every week’.

I think eventually he said 'you can’t keep coming in here son!'

“I have been to some wonderful games there and it is just a wonderful place to play and watch football.

“It’s a club steeped in history and they have a wonderful Championship squad. I have been in League 1 with good Championship players when I was at Rotherham and it proved to be the case because most of them played the following season (after promotion) and that is what they will be believing at Ipswich.”

If you look at the resources available to the management team it is incredible.

“They have a brilliant owner and it will be extremely tough because for me they have a Championship squad.“

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:38 am

f*ck me tang, if that happens.......

You have ruined my breakfast with that thought !!! Can't stand the fat, loud mouthed tosser !!!

All joking aside, as bad as we have been in recent weeks we are 2nd so all this talk is a bit bizzare, it has to change soon, you don't become a really bad team just like that, I am still holding out that it is a bad run and nothing sinister going on in the dressing room/ club etc.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:52 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:38 am

You have ruined my breakfast with that thought !!! Can't stand the fat, loud mouthed tosser !!!

All joking aside, as bad as we have been in recent weeks we are 2nd so all this talk is a bit bizzare, it has to change soon, you don't become a really bad team just like that, I am still holding out that it is a bad run and nothing sinister going on in the dressing room/ club etc.
Who is the fat tosser? I have read it twice now, there is no name. :?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:53 am

I’m sure Lambert just heard something yelled from the crowd like, “You don’t know what you doing!” or “Mick was better than you!” Regardless he needs to shut the f*ck up and get the team winning because he’s right, ITFC are far more important than Paul Lambert. Sir Bobby must turning in his grave hearing Lambert’s indifference!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:55 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:52 am
Bluemike wrote:

Steve Evans - pre-match interview . Ipswich love fest trying to wind up Lambert.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:00 am

tangfastic wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:55 am
derick_ipsw wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:52 am
Bluemike wrote:

Steve Evans - pre-match interview . Ipswich love fest trying to wind up Lambert.
Oh f*ck, BM is right. Also it seems it worked because Lambert post match was stupid. Maybe the 22000 who were there yesterday should adopt the same attitude?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:10 pm

PL is beginning to remind of all the reasons why I used to detest him. Hopefully he won’t carry on in this mode as we don’t want or need another fans / manager break down.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:25 pm

When you look at the match stats there has to be something missing or wrong with our pre match preparation. Our opponents seem to know so much more about our game than we know about theirs. They appear better prepared how to stop us creating opportunities whilst they have no problem creating their own. For example yesterday Gillingham with only 40% possession had 15 shots on goal, 5 on target and 10 corners, meanwhile Town playing at home could only muster 7 shots on goal, 0 on target and 5 corners. This should not happen when playing against a mid table team and I find it hard to believe we’ve not won a League game since 5 November.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:41 pm

Not sure about PLs maths either :D

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:54 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:25 pm
When you look at the match stats there has to be something missing or wrong with our pre match preparation. Our opponents seem to know so much more about our game than we know about theirs. They appear better prepared how to stop us creating opportunities whilst they have no problem creating their own. For example yesterday Gillingham with only 40% possession had 15 shots on goal, 5 on target and 10 corners, meanwhile Town playing at home could only muster 7 shots on goal, 0 on target and 5 corners. This should not happen when playing against a mid table team and I find it hard to believe we’ve not won a League game since 5 November.
Unfortunately Charny the possession stats take into consideration the passes between the back 4 from side to side until we do HOOF BALL. You remember Hoof Ball it was very popular during McCarthy's tenure. :(

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:04 am

As I said in my earlier comments, I'm absolutely sure the man is fooking losing it, we should by all accounts have lost yesterday we were pathetic, with 22000 in attendance we cant even turn it on for the fans, and if this scenario goes on, the crowds will be down by half, it doesn't take long to p*ss off fans who pay good money to watch dross, the writings on the wall if he keeps up this bloody scenario, even if we are 2nd, its sheer bloody luck, as Steve Evans said we have the support, a bloody good squad, and a brilliant set up here at Ipswich, all it needs is the right man to take the reins, someone who can field a team to take this div 1 sh*t football by the scruff of the neck, and start preforming

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:15 am

Like he did at Norwich :wink:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:22 am

I wish he bloody would .

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:04 am

ashfordblue wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:04 am
As I said in my earlier comments, I'm absolutely sure the man is fooking losing it, we should by all accounts have lost yesterday we were pathetic, with 22000 in attendance we cant even turn it on for the fans, and if this scenario goes on, the crowds will be down by half, it doesn't take long to p*ss off fans who pay good money to watch dross, the writings on the wall if he keeps up this bloody scenario, even if we are 2nd, its sheer bloody luck, as Steve Evans said we have the support, a bloody good squad, and a brilliant set up here at Ipswich, all it needs is the right man to take the reins, someone who can field a team to take this div 1 sh*t football by the scruff of the neck, and start preforming
Anybody in mind Ash?