Watson post match Lambert quote : oops!!!

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Watson post match Lambert quote : oops!!!

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:45 pm

What’s happening here I wonder ???

Stuart Watson
@Stuart_Watson
Utterly bizarre post-match comments from Paul Lambert. Without prompting, starts talking about his uncertain future. Full quotes on the way. #itfc

barmy billy

Re: Watson post match Lambert quote : oops!!!

Post by barmy billy » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:16 pm

I fail to understand why Lambert would make such bizarre comments, unless of course the stress & pressure of what is happening is getting to him.

Looking back, he came & lifted the club up off the floor by the sheer weight of his personality. We all looked forward to this season which got off to cracking start (perhaps covering some cracks) and all seemed well especially as we are told what a large squad he has filled with quality for Div1.

Now, despite sitting in second spot it all seems to be going tits up. I wonder if with this large squad he is actually spoilt for choice, allowing him play this seemingly unpopular & unsuccessful rotation we keep seeing. Perhaps the players are as pissed off with it as the fans (it surely can't do their confidence any good) and as has been suggested elsewhere, their may be some unrest in the dressing room. It seems to be going on rather too long for just a blip.

Whatever the reason,, I hope he can sort it out and we can play like a team that deserves to be second in the table. His comments certainly didn't help though.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:45 pm

Finally got to sit and listen to the audio interview and bizarre doesn't come close, for me he is not committing to the club at all, the question right at the end was "would you LIKE to be here the whole season and see the job through" and he couldn't even commit to that, he wriggled his way out of it, for me the signs do not look good, something is definitely not right with PL and ITFC.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:43 pm

Just listened to it myself and if there wasn’t a problem between Evans and Lambert there might be now.
Certainly if I was Evans I would be concerned and questioning whether my manager was totally committed to the cause after hearing those comments.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:03 pm

I wonder if Lambert has been told he can only have funds fir window if certain players are sold first ( no prizes for guessing which ones ). If so then Lambert could/ should? be applauded for his response !

But in the flip side , perhaps Lambert is now paying price of keeping a bloated expensive squad which he doesn’t know how to deal with?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:10 pm

To be honest Liz that is exactly what first went through my mind, lack of spends to bolster in January, it would make sense of the comments he made like "I have my own ideas on how things should be done" etc, I think he has been a bit of a tit towards the fans leaving us with this veiled secrecy crap, I like Lambert and am 100% behind him, he is good for the club and I still believe we are in a good position despite the current run of form, however that kind of talk does little to fill me with confidence going forward.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:28 pm

I really don’t feel Lambert can have any complaints how Evans has backed him so far this season.
He wanted the funds to sign Keane and KVY and got them and also Evans came up with the dosh to sign Norwood. It may very well be a case of if he wants to sign more players in January then he has got to offload first and this may mean letting go of one of the promising youngsters.
I’m certainly not a Evans fan but we do have to come to terms with the fact that we are a league 1 club and our income is down considerably from even when we were in the Championship.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:36 pm

Absolutely Shed and if we don't go up it will be 10 times worse next season

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:14 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:28 pm
I really don’t feel Lambert can have any complaints how Evans has backed him so far this season.
He wanted the funds to sign Keane and KVY and got them and also Evans came up with the dosh to sign Norwood. It may very well be a case of if he wants to sign more players in January then he has got to offload first and this may mean letting go of one of the promising youngsters.
I’m certainly not a Evans fan but we do have to come to terms with the fact that we are a league 1 club and our income is down considerably from even when we were in the Championship.

.. or we try and off load half the squad of dead wood we have . I don’t understand why PL kept such a large ) largely average at best ) squad . They still have to be paid every week ( by Evans) , so can’t say I blame the owner fir putting his foot down on this ( if he has) . We’re in Dividion bloody Three not the Sky funded Premiership!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:17 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:10 pm
To be honest Liz that is exactly what first went through my mind, lack of spends to bolster in January, it would make sense of the comments he made like "I have my own ideas on how things should be done" etc, I think he has been a bit of a tit towards the fans leaving us with this veiled secrecy crap, I like Lambert and am 100% behind him, he is good for the club and I still believe we are in a good position despite the current run of form, however that kind of talk does little to fill me with confidence going forward.
Yes I agree Mike. Problem is us fans will never ever be privy to the real goings on at the Club so we can only second guess it most of the time . But PL comments are unsettling nonetheless.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:42 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:14 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:28 pm

.. or we try and off load half the squad of dead wood we have . I don’t understand why PL kept such a large ) largely average at best ) squad . They still have to be paid every week ( by Evans) , so can’t say I blame the owner fir putting his foot down on this ( if he has) . We’re in Dividion bloody Three not the Sky funded Premiership!
The problem is If we get rid of all the dead wood we will probably only be able to field a 5 aside team! :wink:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:58 pm

:lol: :lol: that’s true enough Shed !!

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:27 pm

Lambert wants to be part of an ambitious club, Town are not an ambitious club.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:44 pm

hallamblue wrote:
I don’t understand why PL kept such a large (largely average at best) squad .
Purely for rotation purposes, Hallam.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:07 pm

Well yes I can see that now :lol:

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:33 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:44 pm
hallamblue wrote:
He let everyone go who was out of contract. No one wanted the rest. So it was keep thrm or buy out their contract.

I said at the time that you can only thin the squad if someone comes in for them. It's why I suspect Downes will go in January....and we saw last time how ineffective our midfield is without him. I guess it's why Georgiou is leaving too - we can get him off the wage bill.

To go one further, I guess Lambert's comments about leaving are related to having to trim the squad which can only be fine by losing your better players....but that is wild guesswork on my part.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:34 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:27 pm
Lambert wants to be part of an ambitious club, Town are not an ambitious club.
Well Lambert’s recent managerial history isn’t that good. I can see him having ambitions bigger than us, but if he wants that then the best thing for him is to get us promoted. Without that, he’s a manager who has a recent history of achieving very little and not sticking around. I’ve got no doubt if he gets a better offer - he’ll be off. But if he goes now, it’s just another short, undistinguished stint somewhere. I think he needs us to boost his chances of a better job with a promotion. Unless he thinks that walking away now or getting sacked whilst in second place might give him some credibility.

I don’t think we should trust his loyalty towards this club, but as long as he gets us up I don’t care.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:41 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:33 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:44 pm
hallamblue wrote:
He let everyone go who was out of contract. No one wanted the rest. So it was keep thrm or buy out their contract.

I said at the time that you can only thin the squad if someone comes in for them. It's why I suspect Downes will go in January....and we saw last time how ineffective our midfield is without him. I guess it's why Georgiou is leaving too - we can get him off the wage bill.

To go one further, I guess Lambert's comments about leaving are related to having to trim the squad which can only be fine by losing your better players....but that is wild guesswork on my part.
Exactly. People can say we should sell the dead wood, but that's only possible if there's a market for them.

How many other clubs would pay fair market prices for Huws, Edwards, Kenlock, Judge, Skuse, Chambers, Nsiala etc? I'm guessing none, because they simply are not good enough. But if I was manager, I would not buy out their contracts, I'd just put them on frees.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:57 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:34 pm
I don’t think we should trust his loyalty towards this club....
Maybe slightly harsh, (only slightly though) , but he’s certainly lost some of my respect after his shyte the other day.
Even if it has come to light that “maybe” Mevans has instructed him to trim the squad, his unprovoked crap the other day has put me off him.