Lincoln City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

We really could do with 3 points huh?

Lincoln City Win
47%
Ipswich Win
26%
Draw
26%

Total votes: 19

valleyroad

Re: Lincoln City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by valleyroad » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:36 am

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:17 am
valleyroad wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:41 am
What a change in fortunes since hounding Mick McCarthy out of the club.
Looks like its going to be a lot harder for Town to get out of League One than many thought.
Looking like a League One club now. Financially stricken and need new owners with investment.
A lot has happened since McCarthy left, and not a lot of it good. Nevertheless, the time for him to go had come. His team played puke football and the fans had had enough.

I always thought he overachieved in terms of league position but I hated his football philosophy.

It has been painful to watch us slide out of the championship with a whimper and gut wrenching to see us struggle so badly in this shitty division. I have to believe that we will turn this around at some point and I think we still have a chance of doing it this season. McCarthy is yesterday's news and hearkening back to his reign serves no useful purpose. It just pisses people off.
Think you'll find if Lambert does get Town up that the football he will play in the Championship won't be a million miles from MM. He'll have no option

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:37 am

valleyroad wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:30 am
Lambert will only succeed with proper backing by Evans otherwise forget it.
Strange, because the one who wants to argue with you the most has the very same view. :lol:

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:50 am

marko69 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:37 am
valleyroad wrote:
Lambert will only succeed with proper backing by Evans otherwise forget it.
Strange, because the one who wants to argue with you the most has the very same view. :lol:
Why would you want to argue with me :D

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:53 am

marko69 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:34 am
Oh dear, I cannot stand Jim Goodwin. When playing, he was a diving, simulating, cheating tit.
But he was probably unfortunate that he had a full head of grey hair at 24 years old, ...... easily noticeable when acting out his shenanigans.
Agree, I know Jim personally and a nicer man you couldn't meet. Funny how the image you could have of a player is so wrong in reality. Top top guy and going to be a top coach

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:53 am

:D Whit? No me “buddy”.

Mach has consistently stated the Mevans issue for about seven years now.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:54 am

No doubt a top bloke....... but like you, a wind up merchant on the field! :D

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:16 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:53 am
:D Whit? No me “buddy”.

Mach has consistently stated the Mevans issue for about seven years now.
Not just Mach - myself also, and for longer than 7 years - not that I would expect you to give me any credit for that.

I think ME thought - when he bought the club - that with a bit of investment it would be easy to get back to the Premier which would enable him to offer Premier matchday hospitality to his clients. Of course he made the wrong appointment as manager, and the rest is history.

Even the first month of his ownership I noticed the sign of things to come - the freshly brewed filter coffee provided to D Block supporters at half time was replaced with instant (although still served from silver jugs), he closed one of the bars so you had to queue for ages for a drink, etc.

I think I was also the first on this board to offer the opinion that once he realised promotion to the Premiership would not be easy he changed his tack and decided to use the club as the tax-loss arm of his empire. I know that many on here disagreed with this opinion (and doubtless still do), but he is first and foremost a businessman and when you look at how he has run the club on a shoestring for the past few seasons and the fact that he failed to invest in the January window of our play-off season there really is no alternative explanation.

Anyway, we are stuck with him as the owner which is the main reason why I said at the start of the season that I thought we would finish closer to relegation than to promotion. I still believe that. We may have the biggest squad in the league, but most of the players in that squad are simply not good enough.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:28 pm

That’s a decent post Rossi, very informative, nice one.

Everyone indeed does know that you’ve said these things all along. The only reason I personally use Mach Polish Blue as being the one who’s noticed Mevans as the problem is because I actually “feel” his discontent and anger with his words. He writes as if he’s just smashed up a room and is off down to pc world to buy a new keyboard. There is passion in there in abundance.
You write as if you just want to be right. That’s not me having a go, but that’s how it comes across to a lot of board members.

Everyone also knows you couldn’t give a flying Fk what anyone thinks so it’s all cool.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:02 pm

Wouldn't usually post this early but given the circumstances.. People select certain names that has an issue with Evans ownership, there's considerable others that seem to go by the wayside or their opinion is invalid. Anyway let's cut to the chase.

Every now and again particularly after a significant setback on the field the issue of how much Evans has invested in the club comes to the fore. Guess it's commendable actions but for all some know not a dime could have been spent towards the club. Yes we realize that's not the case and the owner has done what is necessary to keep the club's head above water but for everything else many will question his intentions here.

Since 2007 when he entered the scene what have we achieved as a team. What one play-off opportunity and a League Cup semi-final if so inclined. The succession of sh*t inept managerial appointments are alarming, such has been the style of play more often than not.

Then on top of it all you got the fall into League One within the last year. Evans may put money forward to enable the club to continue but the detractors out there who doubt his overall involvement are by and large correct. This team will not progress / continue to stagnate so long as ownership remains as it is.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:05 pm

valleyroad wrote:

Don't care if it winds you up cause the worst decision made at ITFC was MM leaving. Paul Lambert is very good coach working in incredibly difficult financial circumstances and the same attitudes are starting to surface towards him, thats why I'm back on !. Lambert will only succeed with proper backing by Evans otherwise forget it.
It is good to see you posting and justifying your thoughts.

My view was always this:

MM managed to keep us up against the (financial) odds and credit should be given for this. However he achieved this by playing some of the most boring footy on record. Even when we were relatively successful I said I was bored with it. Once the results deteriorated, other fans started to feel the same.
Could he have kept us up? Quite probably. Would the attendances have continued to fall? Almost certainly.

My argument was always the same: if we have funding at League 1 level, let's play in league 1. Let's play attractive football in league 1 rather than survival football in the Championship. All things are relative; imagine if MM had got us promoted when we reached the playoffs, we would have been playing terrible survival footy in the Prem and losing most games. That's how it had got in the Championship.

So I don't blame MM. I just think it was right for the club to realign itself with its finances, i.e. League 1.
The squad we have now largely consists of ex-league 1 and league 2 players, plus a few who showed last season that they weren't good enough for the Championship. This is why I never expected us - and still don't - to get promotion this season. We have found our level.

What is disappointing is that only occasionally have we played decent football. There have been some good halves, but virtually no good 90 minutes. Despite the size of the squad, we still lack a fullback who can actually defend. We lack anyone who can play wide on either side of the pitch effectively. We lack a midfielder who can get in the box. A classic example of this was against Gillingham in the first half. Jackson chased a long ball down the left wing, won the ball, our entire midfield were in a line of 4 strolling across the halfway line. Not one of them busting a gut to get forward in support. But I'm getting off the point.

The quality of football has been varied, but more recently it has been more poor than good. We regularly concede more fouls than the opposition, many of them needless. We have lost confidence and Norwood has stopped running. So my wish - playing better footy in a lower league - hasn't really happened. Something has gone wrong and it's getting worse. As I've said before, anyone can manage a winning team. Only a good manager can turn things round. At the moment PL is failing.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:23 pm

Can’t disagree with any of that . Good post.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:41 pm

Andym wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:05 pm
valleyroad wrote:

Don't care if it winds you up cause the worst decision made at ITFC was MM leaving. Paul Lambert is very good coach working in incredibly difficult financial circumstances and the same attitudes are starting to surface towards him, thats why I'm back on !. Lambert will only succeed with proper backing by Evans otherwise forget it.
It is good to see you posting and justifying your thoughts.

My view was always this:

MM managed to keep us up against the (financial) odds and credit should be given for this. However he achieved this by playing some of the most boring footy on record. Even when we were relatively successful I said I was bored with it. Once the results deteriorated, other fans started to feel the same.
Could he have kept us up? Quite probably. Would the attendances have continued to fall? Almost certainly.

My argument was always the same: if we have funding at League 1 level, let's play in league 1. Let's play attractive football in league 1 rather than survival football in the Championship. All things are relative; imagine if MM had got us promoted when we reached the playoffs, we would have been playing terrible survival footy in the Prem and losing most games. That's how it had got in the Championship.

So I don't blame MM. I just think it was right for the club to realign itself with its finances, i.e. League 1.
The squad we have now largely consists of ex-league 1 and league 2 players, plus a few who showed last season that they weren't good enough for the Championship. This is why I never expected us - and still don't - to get promotion this season. We have found our level.

What is disappointing is that only occasionally have we played decent football. There have been some good halves, but virtually no good 90 minutes. Despite the size of the squad, we still lack a fullback who can actually defend. We lack anyone who can play wide on either side of the pitch effectively. We lack a midfielder who can get in the box. A classic example of this was against Gillingham in the first half. Jackson chased a long ball down the left wing, won the ball, our entire midfield were in a line of 4 strolling across the halfway line. Not one of them busting a gut to get forward in support. But I'm getting off the point.

The quality of football has been varied, but more recently it has been more poor than good. We regularly concede more fouls than the opposition, many of them needless. We have lost confidence and Norwood has stopped running. So my wish - playing better footy in a lower league - hasn't really happened. Something has gone wrong and it's getting worse. As I've said before, anyone can manage a winning team. Only a good manager can turn things round. At the moment PL is failing.
Good post and balanced. I'm more optimistic than yourself although from afar up here in Scotland. I think even with current finances Ipswich Town are a Championship club and should always be playing at that level. I can't accept that League One is better no matter the circumstances. I've heard fans at my own club St Mirren say that when we have dropped a division and have never agreed with it. Always better to play at a higher level.
Lambert has the ability to get Ipswich up this season but League One is a really tough league and way harder than many fans realize. Tough spell just now but if Ipswich can get a couple of wins on the board, starting on Wednesday then I think they can use it to push on and get one of the automatic promotion spots. January window is key to this also. Lambert is a good operator but needs to get it right in Jan.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:02 pm

This site has over 5K members and every one of them is more optimistic than AndyM...... that right, Andy? :lol:

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:08 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:02 pm
This site has over 5K members and every one of them is more optimistic than AndyM...... that right, Andy? :lol:
errrmmmm - not quite :wink:

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:46 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:02 pm
I think with old age comes realism. And Yes, pessimism. I still go to every game thinking "This time will be different." Then the ref spoils it by blowing the whistle to start the game 😂
But I still enjoy it. The great thing about fearing the worst is you're never disappointed. I do try to give credit and praise when we play well. I still love it when we put in a good tackle it make a telling pass. I've enjoyed a lot of footy this season. With a return of confidence we could still do ok.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:52 pm

Oh dear, it didn't take long to bring back the Mick Lovers. Mick is the reason the fans had enough not his boring football. You can't insult your fan base and expect to be respected as the manager. All he had to do is keep his mouth shut, but he couldn't because he is the numbskull. I mean we could also reflect on what a great manager Sir Bobby was, but it's in the past now isn't it?

After sleeping on the disappointment of yesterday, I'm not sure Lambert getting fired or leaving is gonna make anything better at the moment. If we can recover from this Uber-Blip and breed some consistency, I think we just may be alright.

COYB!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:38 pm

Andym wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:46 pm
Then the ref spoils it by blowing the whistle to start the game 😂
Hahahahaha! Very good :lol:

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:56 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:28 pm

Everyone indeed does know that you’ve said these things all along. The only reason I personally use Mach Polish Blue as being the one who’s noticed Mevans as the problem is because I actually “feel” his discontent and anger with his words. He writes as if he’s just smashed up a room and is off down to pc world to buy a new keyboard. There is passion in there in abundance.
You write as if you just want to be right. That’s not me having a go, but that’s how it comes across to a lot of board members.

Everyone also knows you couldn’t give a flying Fk what anyone thinks so it’s all cool.
That's a shame, then, because on a forum there is no such thing as being right or being wrong - an opinion is nothing more than an opinion.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:34 pm

Andym wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:05 pm

Great post. I agree with pretty much every word. The only slight disagreement I have is that I think we still have a chance of getting promoted.

Ando

Post by Ando » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:01 pm

rossi wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:56 pm
marko69 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:28 pm

That's a shame, then, because on a forum there is no such thing as being right or being wrong - an opinion is nothing more than an opinion.
I thought Rossi’s Keyboard may have been smashed and out of action between August -November ?