Lambert New Deal

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Lambert New Deal

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:18 pm

Signed a new 4 year deal :lol:

Ando

Re: Lambert New Deal

Post by Ando » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:25 pm

This is great news. Rebuilding the club will take time and this is the stability it needs.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:31 pm

:D :D :D

If he could lose a few more games - he might get a 10 year contract !!!

It’s pretty unbelievable considering what’s happened in the last week and also the last two months results.

Will Evans extend the gesture even further and give Lambert some cash for players this January?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:34 pm

His weird interview makes more sense now, he knew the deal was there so basically took the p*ss. Love it

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:36 pm

I think the start made us all get a little ahead of ourselves as expectations increased. Reality has taken hold again and we all need to get behind the manager and players.

It would not surprise me if there is a little more financial support from ME.

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:37 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:34 pm
His weird interview makes more sense now, he knew the deal was there so basically took the p*ss. Love it
Some have been falling for his wit from the summer. It does make me chuckle.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:44 pm

Stupid timing. Not adverse to the deal. But stupid timing, should have waited until summer.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:46 pm

Bluemike wrote:
.. or the toys that Lambo threw out of his pram prompted Evans to seal the deal.

Look... it’s good news if the owner’s backing the manager for stability and it stops rumours, but Lambert’s got to get us winning again.

And if Lambert did know the deal was there ... he should have just said so or said nothing at all.

He’s here to win football matches, not play silly buggers.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:48 pm

OK so now we have stability we couldn't now afford to sack him, 😁 let's hope everyone gets behind him and things improve starting today.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:51 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:18 pm

good move, a bit of precious positivity at last.

Donna says happy new year Mike., :wink:

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:51 pm

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:44 pm
Stupid timing. Not adverse to the deal. But stupid timing, should have waited until summer.
I wonder if the timing is an attempt to steady the club, almost like a PR stunt.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:56 pm

Bluemike wrote:
For me, taking the p*ss out of the Supporters is actually answering a real question about his future when he knew the four years is there, that’d be funny and fair play,.....

....... but answering phantom questions that don’t even exist, quote, “they want me to go? I’ll go tomorrow”...... that’s being an absolute bellend and there is no wit in there whatsoever. That’s desperation prior to the four year, “here, have some cash, Paul” meeting.

But hopefully that cash arrives on the table soon and he makes things happen. Because with the club sitting stone last 23rd in the form table, things need to happen. It’s january, Paul....., chop chop 👏👏 get to work. You’ve got until 2024, ——-> stop being a bellend and get the club into the Champions League.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:58 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:46 pm
He’s here to win football matches, not play silly buggers.
Yep. All of your post was spot on Tang, and that last part sums it up.

Blind faith now out the window...... you’ve got four years and obviously “something” from Mevans. Get to work:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:14 pm

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:44 pm
Totally agree

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:15 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:56 pm
Bluemike wrote:
For me, taking the p*ss out of the Supporters is actually answering a real question about his future when he knew the four years is there, that’d be funny and fair play,.....

....... but answering phantom questions that don’t even exist, quote, “they want me to go? I’ll go tomorrow”...... that’s being an absolute bellend and there is no wit in there whatsoever. That’s desperation prior to the four year, “here, have some cash, Paul” meeting.

But hopefully that cash arrives on the table soon and he makes things happen. Because with the club sitting stone last 23rd in the form table, things need to happen. It’s january, Paul....., chop chop 👏👏 get to work. You’ve got until 2024, ——-> stop being a bellend and get the club into the Champions League.
Well said . Lambert was being a complete knob.
Last edited by derick_ipsw on Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:15 pm

marko69 wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

I read it as he’s saying it’s not about him and the club is more important than him or anyone else. Also it deflects away from the players who he protects.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:26 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:51 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:18 pm

good move, a bit of precious positivity at last.

Donna says happy new year Mike., :wink:
LMFAO she saw me this morning!!!! Tell Donna Happy New Year from me too mate and to your good self.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:29 pm

Ando wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:15 pm
marko69 wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

I read it as he’s saying it’s not about him and the club is more important than him or anyone else. Also it deflects away from the players who he protects.
Me too

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:30 pm

Although after recent results I’ve started to have reservations about PL’ s ability , I have to say my “ gut reaction” to this is one of relief and of being really pleased with Evans’ commitment to Paul Lambert. I think it demonstrates a real plan at the Club (not a quick fix / sticking plaster which we’ve Constanta day until now ).

I would disagree that this was the “wrong time” to announce this . I’d say quite the reverse, because it makes a real statement of intent that the Club is unified and working towards the bigger picture. It stops all the rumours and uncertainty which is divisive and undermining in the Club.

It’s up the players to step up to that plate and perform , but also for Lambert to decide on a settled team and reduce / minimise unnecessary changes to the team .

COYBsss

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:34 pm

Reporter: “Everything started really positive, but it has gone off track of late. Where do you think the problem lies?”
Lambert: “You want me to go? I’ll go tomorrow.”

(Everyone baffled!!)

But you could be correct, Ando. Protecting players.

Over protection is a very large part of why, not just football, but society is going down the pan these days.
In football terms, they’re paid well and they can’t stay in their feckin comfort zone all their careers. Everyone on this forum seems to know who the useless ones are. It’s time Lambert, (in affect, spokesman for THIS forum of supporters) slams Home a few Home truths.

BUT........ like I said earlier...... society in general doesn’t seem to respond to that,..... rather it takes offence.

He’s got a tricky 4 years ahead.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:58 pm

This is excellent news, im over the moon for him, its the rest I feel sorry for.

Dont think this was a wise move but I know naff all.

Lets hope this improves our form and results.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:09 pm

Definitely realise there is a mixture of viewpoints on this forum and when we see any particular name, we can usually judge a positive or negative post...... that’s what forums are about. Personally like to remain middle of the road when I can but Paul Lambert seems to have really got under my skin and the utmost respect I had has considerably dwindled.
EDITED: I might need to scale back on joining in PAUL LAMBERT discussions due to my opinion on “I’ll go tomorrow” to prevent others more protective towards Lambert maybe throwing a wobbly.

But I will say this; (he might read it)
STOP deflecting things away from yourself, Paul. It IS about YOU as well as the club. THE CLUB need onfield direction and YOU are the director in that area. So it’s all about you. Protect your players all you want; if that’s your way, so be it, but that’ll ALSO be on you if things go even more pear-shaped. Just like Champions League winning coaches like Mancini at clubs way bigger than Ipswich, it was about them and they were sacked due to their sides under-performing.
So, PLEASE, quit the press-room bullish!t.
All eyes on YOU Paul Lambert. Big 4 years. Want you to succeed, 100%

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:57 pm

Bluemike wrote:
:shock: Well if he's taking the p*ss, Evans had better back him up with a big clear out of at least 6 players NOW, and at least bring in 3 defenders, another 2 strikers and cut the current squad down to 16 to be fighting for places, as I can see Chambers needs to be a back up only, if we don't bring in new players to strengthen then Evans is taking the p*ss big time,

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:59 pm

My flabber is well and truly gasted. What has Lambert done to merit a four year contract? Someone please enlighten me.

Apart from some effective PR while we were plummeting like a stone last season, he has done precious little. Yes, we had a decent start to the season but that is now a distant memory. We are struggling in EFL 1 for goodness sake!

I had thought he would be a good manager at this level ( having had no confidence in him at Championship level) but he is proving really ineffective. What I thought was a blip of bad form seems now to be our true level. The blip seems to be the good form we showed in the first few weeks.

Sorry to be so negative but this news has really pissed me off.
Last edited by MasseyFerguson on Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:05 pm

And people said Lambert threw his toys out of the pram
:lol: :lol: :lol:

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:09 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:05 pm
And people said Lambert threw his toys out of the pram
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: Fair comment

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:16 pm

Certainly do have a new opinion on Paul and I slightly edited my other post....... it’s just in case anyone thinks my toys are on the floor...... they’re clearly not. Open to most level headed discussuon.

It’ll be eventful 4 years ahead if anything.,

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:23 pm

Surprising. I doubt this will result in extra funding anytime soon...O'Neil has already said it will be a quiet transfer window. Hopefully Lambert can get things straightened out. Maybe our target should be promotion in 2025?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:50 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:16 pm
Certainly do have a new opinion on Paul and I slightly edited my other post....... it’s just in case anyone thinks my toys are on the floor...... they’re clearly not. Open to most level headed discussuon.

It’ll be eventful 4 years ahead if anything.,
I was only on a wind up Marko, I do kinda get why people were pissed with him.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:33 pm

LOVE THIS.....

Blues manager Paul Lambert revealed that discussions regarding his new contract had been ongoing with owner Marcus Evans for more than a month.

The 50-year-old penned a four-year extension to his Town deal, which now runs to 2025, prior to today's draw at his old club Wycombe.

“I just wanted to see you for another five years!” Lambert joked when asked about the new deal by the media.

“Listen, Marcus has been great and I think he recognises the work that’s happened here in the just over a year we’ve been in here.

“I’ve never seen a massive club as low as it was, the things that were wrong here were incredible. As I said before, the disconnection with everybody, [it was important to get] everybody back together.

“It’s small steps. I hate using that word project because it shouldn’t be in football but if people want to call it that then people can call it that.

“Marcus asked me to come and rebuild everything and connect with it and that’s what we’ll try and do and hopefully step by step we’ll have a really good time at it. Put it this way, it’ll not be for the lack of trying.”

Lambert confirmed that being offered the new deal wasn’t a reaction to his comments after the Boxing Day draw with Gillingham when he appeared to call his future into question.

“This has been going on for I would say at least a month and a bit, at least a month and a bit, maybe two months,” he reflected.

“There were things going on behind the scenes out of anybody’s control that I had to contend with but it was always there.

“It’s easy to sign something when things are going great and when people say ‘He signed because of the [comments on Boxing Day]’. Not at all.

“I love the club, I love the support behind it, I love the area. Who knows, this might be my last gig, I don’t know, but I really do love it here.”

Lambert concurred that the new deal gives both him and the club stability going forward.

“We’ve got some young guys there who are going to get really good, including [Armando] Dobra and Idris [El Mizouni] and others as well, some really good talent here,” he added. “If you give them a few years, you’re looking at something really good here.”

Was that partly why he was keen to sign a lengthy new deal? “If you put everything into the melting pot, that and the support, I want to see Ipswich do really well, I want to try and be part of it and when it does eventually finish and the contract does run out or whatever happens, you want people to go, ‘They did one helluva job there’.

The deal is the longest handed out by Evans since he took charge just over 12 years ago, which Lambert admits is a show of faith in.

“Yes, we were speaking about it a few months and you see other managers say they’ve signed five years and Marcus [spoke] to me a while back [about] the whole thing.

“He’s been great that way. But we will give him everything we’ve got. We’ll have head knocks along the way, me and him will have arguments and all that sort of thing, but the two of us want to try and do the best for the club within the parameters that he’s asked me to do it within.”

Asked how the discussions started, he added: “We speak regularly and he asked me what did I think longer term and where I saw the club because I said before that the club was so low.

“There were so many things wrong. Young guys had to get a chance, the Community Trust, I always go back to the Community Trust, re-engaging fans and getting people back into the stadium was important and then you had to concentrate on the football team, which everyone was criticising, they were taking upper cuts all over the place. You had to re-engage everything.

“But Marcus came and asked me whether I’d look at it and, as I said before, I love the club, I really do, it’s a brilliant club and you take the little bits that come with it when the team doesn’t get a result, that’s normal, that’s at most clubs, but it’s a fantastic club.”

But while the club’s long-term future is important, Lambert is aware that the short-term, achieving promotion in the second half of the season, is currently the priority.

“We will try everything we can,” he said. “We don’t have a divine right, you look at Sheffield United, six years [in League One], Sunderland, dear oh dear. We were relegated last year and sometimes that can hurt a helluva lot of teams.

“We’ve responded in the right way. If we’d have had the run back to front, if we’d gone the other way and had the start we’re having now and then 15 or 16 games into it [had the early season form] people would think you’re a genius. But we’ve done it the other way.

“But the big thing for me the other way was the relegation thing, that they came out of the traps [so quickly].

“Short-term, you absolutely want to come out of the league, long-term you’ve got one helluva job here, that’s for sure.”

Asked which of his previous experiences he is drawing on as he tries to turn the club around, he reflected: “Every job’s tough, even if you’re doing really well.

"I’ve been fortunate enough to play in Germany and saw how things worked there and being experienced through playing football you handle pressure situations whether there’s criticism or praise. I know because Ive been at massive clubs. I’m pretty level-headed that way.”

Quizzed on the club’s support, he added: “The fans have been unbelievable. I came here, dear oh dear, I’ve never seen a club as big as this as low as this. But the fans have been absolutely brilliant, I’ve got nothing but praise for them, they come in their numbers to watch us and I’m delighted with the support that they give us