Lambert New Deal

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

goldandblack

Re: Lambert New Deal

Post by goldandblack » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:51 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:26 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:51 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:18 pm
Signed a new 4 year deal :lol:

good move, a bit of precious positivity at last.

Donna says happy new year Mike., :wink:
LMFAO she saw me this morning!!!! Tell Donna Happy New Year from me too mate and to your good self.
yeah she showed us the pic LOL. And you and the family have the best new year,

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:54 pm

If I was Lambo I would certainly do the lottery this week.
Manager of the team who is bottom of the league 1 form table over the last 6 games and gets a extended contract.
He must believe his luck is in.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:13 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:54 pm
Manager of the team who is bottom of the league 1 form table over the last 6 games and gets a extended contract.
As Mick used to say Shed, " Judge him at the end of the season" I think P L will still get you up easily in the end,

Anyway our manager is on a dodgy footing after 2 defeats on the trot. so Suffolk could be his next call

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:05 am

goldandblack wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:13 pm
I think P L will still get you up easily in the end.
Still definitely believe there is every chance of promotion..... still plenty games for good things to happen.

But......

:shock: easily, Wolfie? When is this happening mate? You still pished from New Year drinks? :D

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:28 am

goldandblack wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:13 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:54 pm
As Mick used to say Shed, " Judge him at the end of the season" I think P L will still get you up easily in the end,

Anyway our manager is on a dodgy footing after 2 defeats on the trot. so Suffolk could be his next call
G&B
Imo that is what should have been done in terms of offering him a new contract.
From the day he was appointed I have always stated that I was concerned whether he was the man to get the results on the pitch. I acknowledge that he is great at PR and has done good things off the pitch in terms of bringing the fanbase back together. However,in terms of results, last season from the time he was appointed to the end of the campaign his record was poor to say the least. Yes you could argue that what he was left with from Hurst's short time in charge didn't help his cause but at the end of the day he did not improve things result wise.
However, I still felt he should be kept on this season to be given the opportunity to get us back up. Despite our run over the past 10 games or so I still felt he should be given to the end of this season and then a decision should be made on his future. For me this season is our big chance to get back and it has to be taken as if not I can see us staying in this league for quite a few years.
Anyhow, it doesn't matter what any of us think as Evans is the owner and will do his own thing.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:34 pm

I suppose what we don’t know or can ever know, is what Lambert and his team are doing behind the scenes that are rebuilding the very fabric of the Club. Us fans tend to only see the first team, and Judge success by that alone. But the Club’s well being goes much , much deeper than that I think.

I suspect Lambert has been given this 4 year deal because he and his team are very much working on the bigger picture, which eventually will be witnessed by us fans in the first team. This doesn’t happen quickly ( especially given how bad the Clubs “ health” overall, has been). Previous so called big name managers frankly have done f*ck all to rebuild this Club. Some actually did fundamental harm to this Club.

It’s going to take a few years to get us back into a health6 vibrant Club again, and all of this against the backdrop of relegation to League One and the ludicrous levels of money 8n the game for just a privileged few Clubs. It ain’t going to be easy.

Evans, by giving Lambert a long contract acts to stabilise the situation, and sends out a true message of intent to all concerned with ITFC, from the academy to the first team and the fans. It also debunks the view that Evans doesn’t put his hand in his pocket, because he clearly does, but in a responsible way. If it goes tits up, it’s him and him alone that pays the real price.

I hope we can all continue to back Lambert, and the players going into 2020 now. There a job to be done isn’t there 👍

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:49 pm

I must admit, I let my emotions get the better of me after the Lincoln game and called for Lambert to go. Although I don't regret my emotions, I do regret my reaction and I am happy he is going to be with us for the foreseeable future. Results have not been spectacular, but the whole club is in a totally different place to what it was a couple of years ago, and for that I can thank Paul Lambert.

I will support him for as long as needed to get this club back up to at least the Championship. Onwards and upwards.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:56 pm

A 5 year deal with have a whole load of legal caveats within it to protect both Lambert and the club. Both will be able to walk away from it. Its not a case of Evans having to shell out a fortune if he wants to break it etc. All it is is a statement of faith in the manager and to bring stability to the club, stopping endless silly speculation. Evans is a good chairman when it comes to loyalty to managers and is well regarded from what I can see by the managers who have worked for him.

I remember my club St Mirren giving Tom Hendrie a 5 year deal as he took us up to PL in 2000, seen as the hottest manager since...., 2 years later he was sacked and the whole thing became an utter shambles. Club vowed never to give out deals like that again.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:24 pm

Hallam, Nic & Valley, 3 very good posts and I agree with it all. Hallam you have summed it up perfectly for me, this is very much a long term project, a total rebuild and that, whether we like it or not takes time, we all want promotion this season but we also need to stick with the team and manager through bad spells like we are witnessing now, we were asked to do that before the season started!

I totally get why Nic let his emotions get the better of him after Lincoln, I left the ground that night far from happy myself because we all have a tipping point sometimes, it's because we care.

I think Lambert is the best thing to happen to this club in bloody years, we finally have a manager who stands up to ME, a manager who engages with the fans and who has put his hand in his own pocket 2 or 3 times for them, small gestures to some but he didn't have to do it, we also have a manager that god knows how has put around 7000 fans back into the stadium and that's not with cheaper prices !!!

As Hallam says, we need to get behind him and give our all as supporters, the secret is in the word, support them !!! If people can't do that B&Q is open every Saturday. All I ask from Lambert in the short term is get Holy back in goal ffs !!!!!

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:45 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:24 pm
Hallam, Nic & Valley, 3 very good posts and I agree with it all. Hallam you have summed it up perfectly for me, this is very much a long term project, a total rebuild and that, whether we like it or not takes time, we all want promotion this season but we also need to stick with the team and manager through bad spells like we are witnessing now, we were asked to do that before the season started!

I totally get why Nic let his emotions get the better of him after Lincoln, I left the ground that night far from happy myself because we all have a tipping point sometimes, it's because we care.

I think Lambert is the best thing to happen to this club in bloody years, we finally have a manager who stands up to ME, a manager who engages with the fans and who has put his hand in his own pocket 2 or 3 times for them, small gestures to some but he didn't have to do it, we also have a manager that god knows how has put around 7000 fans back into the stadium and that's not with cheaper prices !!!

As Hallam says, we need to get behind him and give our all as supporters, the secret is in the word, support them !!! If people can't do that B&Q is open every Saturday. All I ask from Lambert in the short term is get Holy back in goal ffs !!!!!
Here here...…. Holy for crying out loud..... Its simples!!

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:52 pm

So his deal was sorted "a month ago or longer". Was that about the time we stopped winning games? You have certainly earned your new contract since. :roll:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:55 pm

Bluemike wrote:

Yes we do need to get behind the team and manager. If don’t what hope is there? But PL, please put HOLY back in goal!!

Give em a shout for me Sat , Mike 👍.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:03 pm

Bluemike wrote:

Mike
The trouble is we have heard about these long term projects before. Remember the 5 point plan and that hasn’t exactly turned out well.
Yes the foundations may be being laid but as I said the other day if we don’t go up this season then the shortfall in income is going to have to be found from somewhere and will most probably come from from selling any promising youngsters coming through.
That for me is why it is so important that we obtain promotion out of this league at the first attempt.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:03 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:34 pm
Us fans tend to only see the first team,......
...... and maybe 28 other players? :lol:

It’s ok, Hallam, I understand the context you were meaning but just added a wee joke there.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:13 pm

Ando wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:25 pm
This is great news. Rebuilding the club will take time and this is the stability it needs.
Great news for who? And why is it 'great'?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:15 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:03 pm
Mike
The trouble is we have heard about these long term projects before. Remember the 5 point plan and that hasn’t exactly turned out well.
Yes the foundations may be being laid but as I said the other day if we don’t go up this season then the shortfall in income is going to have to be found from somewhere and will most probably come from from selling any promising youngsters coming through.
That for me is why it is so important that we obtain promotion out of this league at the first attempt.
That’s exactly the scenario that a lot of fans seem to forget. How are the “sums” going to tally in Mevans books that he keeps absolutely spot on, (unless of course he’s selling Brazilian World Cup tickets).

You, as a well travelled fan, Shed, (England & Ipswich) where do you actually stand in your opinion of Paul Lambert? Not putting you on the spot or anything, just curious to know.

it’s just that I think, since Boxing Day, he’s full of sh*t and it really bothers me now that I don’t like him anymore. Really want to like him but the quotes from Lambert that Mike posted has made that feeling worse. Just utter deflection and most of it contrary to many words spoken as a stoke city manager. He’s just full of public relations wind & utter pish.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:45 pm

marko69 wrote:
hallamblue wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:34 pm
Us fans tend to only see the first team,......
...... and maybe 28 other players? :lol:

It’s ok, Hallam, I understand the context you were meaning but just added a wee joke there.
Wouldn’t be TB without you marko x :) :D

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:54 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:15 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Mike
That’s exactly the scenario that a lot of fans seem to forget. How are the “sums” going to tally in Mevans books that he keeps absolutely spot on, (unless of course he’s selling Brazilian World Cup tickets).

You, as a well travelled fan, Shed, (England & Ipswich) where do you actually stand in your opinion of Paul Lambert? Not putting you on the spot or anything, just curious to know.

it’s just that I think, since Boxing Day, he’s full of sh*t and it really bothers me now that I don’t like him anymore. Really want to like him but the quotes from Lambert that Mike posted has made that feeling worse. Just utter deflection and most of it contrary to many words spoken as a stoke city manager. He’s just full of public relations wind & utter pish.
marko
As I said previously in this thread I have always had doubts whether Lambert is the man to turn things around results wise.
For me he is one of those managers who found a club for whatever reason where he was a perfect fit (Norwich). However, once he moved on he has struggled to replicate that. A bit like Eddie Howe at Bournemouth (although they are struggling this season) when he went to Burnley he just didn’t seem the same manager.
Imo unless we had a disastrous start to the season he had to be given the whole campaign to see if we could secure a immediate return to the Championship and then a decision could be made on his future. If this is not achieved then I feel that would have been the time to say thanks but goodbye.
Hopefully I am completely wrong and Lambo will turn things around and come the end of the season people can say that tw*t Shed didn’t know what he was talking about (which is probably true 99% of the time anyhow!) :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:01 pm

Tw@ :lol:

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:19 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:01 pm
Tw@ :lol:
Her indoors has also got a few other names for me as well. Mind you as this is a family forum I couldn’t put them on here!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:45 pm

You can tell me next time we meet lol !!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:58 pm

Valleyroad has got it spot on, the contract will be loaded with clauses etc, in the grand scheme of things Tony it means little but it is a good sign of intent that if things do gi well we have some stability, lose the next 10 and he's gone, nothing has changed

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:44 pm

“I love the club, I love the support behind it, I love the area. Who knows, this might be my last gig, I don’t know, but I really do love it here.”
I like this part.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:51 pm

As Hallam says, we need to get behind him and give our all as supporters, the secret is in the word, support them !!!
The key to garnering continued support is for the team to at least show signs of improvement. As we all know that hasn't been the case, and if Lambert wants to see that continued support there has to be positive results.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:17 pm

We've had a blip, we've lost Five games in half a season and sit in Fifth place with a game in hand on some, we are Three games from a day out at Wembley, if that doesn't give people reason to back the team they are shallow fans, just my opinion.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:38 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:17 pm
We've had a blip, we've lost Five games in half a season and sit in Fifth place with a game in hand on some, we are Three games from a day out at Wembley, if that doesn't give people reason to back the team they are shallow fans, just my opinion.
You're probably right, but it is what it is. I wonder how many fans will be sticking around if we don't get promoted this season.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:46 pm

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they don't have a right to be unhappy with things if they see fit, i.e the manager, the performances, the owner, the results etc etc, that doesn't make them shallow, it's the ones that take it upon themselves to desert supporting "their team" when they are most needed.

As for your question, its a good one, I hope the majority are wise enough to see it as a longer than one season project, the ones that may desert are no loss anyway.

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:48 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:13 pm
Ando wrote:
This is great news. Rebuilding the club will take time and this is the stability it needs.
It’s great because this club needs stability and clear direction. PL has off the field turned this club around from the hollow pretences under the last couple of the MM years. Fans are engaged and attendances are up. People enjoy going to matches now. The club are also engaged with the community. PL is dead right when he says there is no club without the fans. Attending games with my family is far me enjoyable than ever before. It’s there for all to see. He himself says he loves the club and has committed his future. Yes of course contracts mean sh*t these days but it clearing shows intent.

On the football front how many loanees do we have? Not that many. Some have harped on for years to play the kids and now we are. PL in the main has recruited well, Holy, Norwood, Garbutt & Wilson have all performed well. Norris May be more debatable. What he inherited was about as bad as you could get. Would anyone else have kept us up? Who knows.

We can all question tactics rotation and formations until the cows come home. But the simple fact is PL is the manager and he picks the team. We currently sit right in the mix for promotion something we would have all taken at the start of he season.

Some people in my opinion need to get a grip on reality and see the bigger picture. We have no Devine right to win anything and anyone who’s ever played sport should realise this fact.

Those who don’t like it should not bother turning up and vote with their feet. I did under MM. I for one are fed up listening to shallow fans bleating on all the time during and after games slagging off players and their own fans.

The club is stronger united together. In any walk of life rid yourselves of apathy and your half way there.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:51 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:17 pm
I think it's great that you always look at the glass as being half full. I vacillate between optimism and pessimism.

You posted a very similar comment a few weeks ago, in the early games of the blip. Except then it was, paraphrasing, 'if we get any points from our game in hand we'll be back on top of the league'. I supported that post at the time and expressed confidence that we would, if not gain automatic promotion, certainly be in the playoffs.

My optimistic expressions have not aged well. I think it is whistling past the graveyard to suggest 'we've had a blip'. It has been a far more serious fall than that. We are just blessed that most teams in this shitty division are not great and we have only fallen to fifth. Even so, where we were looking down on the rest from a height a couple of months ago we are now firmly rooted in a dogfight to stay in contention for play off places.

We all back the team. We will continue to back the team no matter what. I don't want Lambert out but, equally, I think the contract decision was ludicrous.

I believe we can get back on track and I believe we can get promoted this season. I want to believe. But Lambert needs to stop spouting PR platitudes that sound warm and fuzzy and get on with his primary job... Get us back on track and stop faffing about.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:56 pm

Ando wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:48 pm
Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:13 pm
Ando wrote:
It’s great because this club needs stability and clear direction. PL has off the field turned this club around from the hollow pretences under the last couple of the MM years. Fans are engaged and attendances are up. People enjoy going to matches now. The club are also engaged with the community. PL is dead right when he says there is no club without the fans. Attending games with my family is far me enjoyable than ever before. It’s there for all to see. He himself says he loves the club and has committed his future. Yes of course contracts mean sh*t these days but it clearing shows intent.

On the football front how many loanees do we have? Not that many. Some have harped on for years to play the kids and now we are. PL in the main has recruited well, Holy, Norwood, Garbutt & Wilson have all performed well. Norris May be more debatable. What he inherited was about as bad as you could get. Would anyone else have kept us up? Who knows.

We can all question tactics rotation and formations until the cows come home. But the simple fact is PL is the manager and he picks the team. We currently sit right in the mix for promotion something we would have all taken at the start of he season.

Some people in my opinion need to get a grip on reality and see the bigger picture. We have no Devine right to win anything and anyone who’s ever played sport should realise this fact.

Those who don’t like it should not bother turning up and vote with their feet. I did under MM. I for one are fed up listening to shallow fans bleating on all the time during and after games slagging off players and their own fans.

The club is stronger united together. In any walk of life rid yourselves of apathy and your half way there.

Bloody brilliant post Ando 👍 and agree wholeheartedly!