Wycombe Wanderers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Who is less in form between these two sides?

Wycombe Win
35%
Ipswich Win
52%
Draw
13%

Total votes: 23

ashfordblue

Re: Wycombe Wanderers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:50 pm

:roll: But I know I was right with my thinking, when that old oversize striker came on for Wycombe, the first instruction by Lambert should be for Chambers and Wolfenden to sit tight front and back of him, do that and you take him out of the game, its so basic to understand, what the hell do they teach them at the training ground, another fault that sticks out is not closing down wingers or as they are called wing backs, you do not allow them the space to cross the ball, and also you want a keeper that can think out his box area moves, twice I've now seen Norris make fateful moves which have resulted in goals, just plain stupid moves, I'll give Mick his one strength, put a solid defence in place and build from the back, I cant see the likes of our past master central defenders like Jason De Vos, Mogger, McGreal, Beatty, letting some over size 37 year old getting the better of them, we must learn lessons fast, that this division one league is a roll up your sleeves and hit the opposition hard and fast, work hard and grind out results,

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:59 pm

Andym wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:42 pm

Onwards and upwards. Just hope at the end of January we still have Downes.
I just hope Downes and the people around him (by which I mean Lambert and Evans as well as his agent) are convinced that this is a club that’s going back to the championship this year, intends to stay there and can build a winning team around him. If he is convinced of that I think he’d stay because the alternative is Fulham reserves or whatever
Last edited by JohnnyB on Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:00 pm

Looking at the form of the top 10, I would say everyone bar Rotherham, Coventry and Oxford are trying really hard not to be there!

Couple of wins and things will look a whole lot better.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:05 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:50 pm
another fault that sticks out is not closing down wingers or as they are called wing backs, you do not allow them the space to cross the ball,
This has bugged me for years. Preferably mark the buggers so they don't get the ball. Failing that get right on them as soon as they get the ball.
For years we have allowed thrm so much space and have been so slow to close down.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:43 am

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:46 pm
I personally think Lambert has lost the players. They aren’t playing for him (and subsequently the club) like they were. We have been average all season and are as high as we are because of how awful this division is.... but at least we had passion and effort at the start of the season.
Well in the match I watched today on SKY, I would say your are a mile out. Players fully committed and look like a side well capable of promotion. Point at Wycombe was well deserved and with a little luck could have been all 3.

On that performance i think Town will be well in the hunt come the end of the season. Personally I think they'll be in one of the automatic spots.

Need to make Portman Road a fortress.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:46 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:02 pm
AylesburyBlue wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:46 pm
I personally think Lambert has lost the players. They aren’t playing for him (and subsequently the club) like they were. We have been average all season and are as high as we are because of how awful this division is.... but at least we had passion and effort at the start of the season.
I had started to wonder the same in truth, though we are never likely to be privy to what goes on inside the club. HOWEVER, the businessman he is, i would highly doubt that ME would have awarded PL a lucrative new deal without due dilligence. He would have looked at our poor form, concluded on the potential causes. Nobody in their right mind would have extended that contract if there was ANY doubt whatsover. If there is/are potential troublemaker(s)/dissenter(s) within the squad, i expect they will have been told to shape up or be shipped out. Just my views of course. I think this contract award sends a very strong message of support and togetherness, one which hopefully will start to filter through to first team performances.
5 years is too long a contract to give to any manager. Not saying Lambert doesn't deserve it but not the right decision IMO.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:03 am

Thought providing Lambert a new four year deal was a joke when first receiving the news. Would have been more fitting for 1st of April but seems a number are in favor of it.. No chance in hell that he'll remain with us for that duration and the timing of it is bizarre without question.

Caught game highlights and the players seemed industrious and an improvement on recent weeks. On paper alone it's a commendable score but can't understand why the opposition hold first position. Didn't seem anything special and we could just have easily taken three points.

Worrying that the team has fallen to fifth position and wins seem few and far between but hey people have evidently got faith in the manager and seem to know what they're doing. Substantial risk undertaken, fine line between bravery and stupidity.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:54 am

Andym wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:42 pm
Sorry, sidetracked the thread.

I suppose at this or any level there are few unstoppable goals. Ours was a great goal it if we'd conceded it we would have criticised the defence. Equally there's was poor from our defence and keeper, but had we scored it we would have been commenting on the good finish,.

Can't make my mind up about the game, we played some good stuff at times but (as is often the case) didn't create through the neat passing. I think the strikers get isolated, too far apart, and lack support from midfield. But individually most players performed reasonably well. And we had some good shots blocked or saved. Wycombe missed the best chance of all though so I think a draw was fair. Think I'd be happier watching our play than theirs which has to be a positive.

Onwards and upwards. Just hope at the end of January we still have Downes.
Agree with a lot of that. I can’t make up my mind about the game, too. We did fine in spells - but let Wycombe back into the game. It wasn’t a ‘we’ve turned-the-corner’ game and felt disappointed we didn’t take the three points, but an improvement nonetheless. Pleased about Edwards, Judge and Huws. I wouldn’t say they played like world-beaters, but a big improvement as they’ve been a big disappointment so far. If fringe players like these hit some consistent form then that can only add to the team and we also won’t be carrying players through games.

The central defenders were the big concern for me. Chambers looked very ragged from the off, but improved. Wilson, for me, does not look anywhere as comfortable as he was at the start of the season. We’re not dealing well with basic defending and we looked very vulnerable on counter-attacks. I think the defenders prefer the added protection of Skuse just in front of the defence.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:59 am

JohnnyB wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:51 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:41 pm
Would posts have been edited if someone had said "white b*stard " or whatever? No I thought not, always a one way thing :wink:
To be fair though it is a one way thing because racism is a one way thing. There is no history of systematic discrimination and prejudice against white people therefore to point out unnecessarily that someone is white while insulting them is not a racist slur
Sorry, but that's just plain crap. I lived in the Bahamas for 4 years and the racial abuse I received for being white was constant (name calling, being ignored by shop assistants, being told a queue was closing when I had queued for 3 hours etc etc).

It happens everywhere and to all races. I just used to laugh it off - trouble these days is that people are far too sensitive.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:53 am

rossi wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:59 am
JohnnyB wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Would posts have been edited if someone had said "white b*stard " or whatever? No I thought not, always a one way thing :wink:
To be fair though it is a one way thing because racism is a one way thing. There is no history of systematic discrimination and prejudice against white people therefore to point out unnecessarily that someone is white while insulting them is not a racist slur
Sorry, but that's just plain crap. I lived in the Bahamas for 4 years and the racial abuse I received for being white was constant (name calling, being ignored by shop assistants, being told a queue was closing when I had queued for 3 hours etc etc).

It happens everywhere and to all races. I just used to laugh it off - trouble these days is that people are far too sensitive.
Racism in all forms should be condemned end of !

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:58 am

rossi wrote:
JohnnyB wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

I’m very much aware that this is a football forum and it’s purpose is to talk about games and players etc. However, since you’ve said what I said is crap, I’d better respond. Sorry to spell it out but calling someone a black whatever as part of an insult is racist because for centuries racial demonisation was part of the grounds for slavery, lynching and systematic prejudice supported by governments and police forces. Unfortunately, as I’m sure you know, damaging racist beliefs still continue to this day. As we see with stop and search figures and even abuse by crowds at modern games. I don’t really have to explain that do I? To compare, some admittedly unpleasant, treatment experienced by presumably an affluent white man in the Bahamas is I’m afraid utter nonsense, or just plain crap as you might say. No one calls anyone a white whatever because it would be a meaningless insult. In comparison...

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:06 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:58 am
rossi wrote:
JohnnyB wrote:

I’m very much aware that this is a football forum and it’s purpose is to talk about games and players etc. However, since you’ve said what I said is crap, I’d better respond. Sorry to spell it out but calling someone a black whatever as part of an insult is racist because for centuries racial demonisation was part of the grounds for slavery, lynching and systematic prejudice supported by governments and police forces. Unfortunately, as I’m sure you know, damaging racist beliefs still continue to this day. As we see with stop and search figures and even abuse by crowds at modern games. I don’t really have to explain that do I? To compare, some admittedly unpleasant, treatment experienced by presumably an affluent white man in the Bahamas is I’m afraid utter nonsense, or just plain crap as you might say. No one calls anyone a white whatever because it would be a meaningless insult. In comparison...
I worked with a white man who lived and worked in Malawi for many years without a problem. Straight after a change of government he was treated so badly by the black population that he was forced to leave. Black people would spit at him in the strèet and dare him challenge tbem knowing he would not for fear of what would happen. Nice.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:51 pm

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:34 pm

Nelson ???

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:56 pm

...and look where he was born ffs ! 🙄

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:58 pm

Greatest ever Briton

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:06 pm

Very busy last two days for me. Was absolutely knackered last night after travelling back from Wycombe.

Everything has been said about this. We may have fared better than against Lincoln but I wasn't happy last night. Winless run continues. Time and time again we abandon our attacking attempts after we've scored an away goal. We only had one opportunity to score the 2nd but their goalie stopped Judge's shot from going in.

That idiot in our goal plus three defenders around their striker and we still conceded :evil: :evil: :evil:

First half was utterly appalling. Wondered how on earth both teams have been on top for so long. Tippy tappy from us in midfield without any clue how to threaten them.

Keep sliding down the table. There will be ifs and buts, if beat Accrington we can close the gap etc etc.......We have to win first firstly and this seems to be too difficult at the moment in the ... 3rd Division :twisted:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:33 pm

Was that Nelson Bonaparte? I’d like to join in this conversation but I skived history.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:41 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:58 pm
Greatest ever Briton
Nah, that was Elizabeth I

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:42 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:33 pm
Was that Nelson Bonaparte? I’d like to join in this conversation but I skived history.
Now why doesn’t that surprise me :lol:

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:18 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Greatest ever Briton
Boudica

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:53 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:18 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Greatest ever Briton
Boudica
'Churchill'

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:00 pm

Sir David Gray

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:18 pm

Getting bloody stupid now :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:50 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:53 pm
nicscreamer wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:18 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Greatest ever Briton
Boudica
'Churchill'
Churchill all the way

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:40 pm

Isambard Brunel, but each to their own

Last mention on this game and who was it who attended the stripper bar in High Wycombe "on advice of the club" and were treated to barely clad girls and levels of debauchery. Reckon you could pick out one or two from here if pictures are anything to go by, stand up and be recognized. (Or better don't)

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:51 pm

saint jude wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:40 pm

Last mention on this game and who was it who attended the stripper bar in High Wycombe "on advice of the club" and were treated to barely clad girls and levels of debauchery. Reckon you could pick out one or two from here if pictures are anything to go by, stand up and be recognized. (Or better don't)
'Mr Disco'

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:59 pm

saint jude wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:40 pm

It was bloody packed in there !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: