Lambert New Deal

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Lambert New Deal

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:03 pm

Same here, I applaud you Ando.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:03 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:51 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:17 pm
We've had a blip, we've lost Five games in half a season and sit in Fifth place with a game in hand on some, we are Three games from a day out at Wembley, if that doesn't give people reason to back the team they are shallow fans, just my opinion.
I think it's great that you always look at the glass as being half full. I vacillate between optimism and pessimism.

You posted a very similar comment a few weeks ago, in the early games of the blip. Except then it was, paraphrasing, 'if we get any points from our game in hand we'll be back on top of the league'. I supported that post at the time and expressed confidence that we would, if not gain automatic promotion, certainly be in the playoffs.

My optimistic expressions have not aged well. I think it is whistling past the graveyard to suggest 'we've had a blip'. It has been a far more serious fall than that. We are just blessed that most teams in this shitty division are not great and we have only fallen to fifth. Even so, where we were looking down on the rest from a height a couple of months ago we are now firmly rooted in a dogfight to stay in contention for play off places.

We all back the team. We will continue to back the team no matter what. I don't want Lambert out but, equally, I think the contract decision was ludicrous.

I believe we can get back on track and I believe we can get promoted this season. I want to believe. But Lambert needs to stop spouting PR platitudes that sound warm and fuzzy and get on with his primary job... Get us back on track and stop faffing about.
I always look on it as glass half full, cant do it any other way.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:26 pm

Pity you don’t have that view in the pub when I say do you want another drink Mike? ...... “ yes ta, I’m nearly empty “ !

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:32 pm

Lmao

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:57 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:26 pm
Pity you don’t have that view in the pub when I say do you want another drink Mike? ...... “ yes ta, I’m nearly empty “ !
Brilliant. Really made me chuckle. :lol: :lol:

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:41 am

Ando wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:25 pm

It’s great because this club needs stability and clear direction. PL has off the field turned this club around from the hollow pretences under the last couple of the MM years. Fans are engaged and attendances are up. People enjoy going to matches now. The club are also engaged with the community. PL is dead right when he says there is no club without the fans. Attending games with my family is far me enjoyable than ever before. It’s there for all to see. He himself says he loves the club and has committed his future. Yes of course contracts mean sh*t these days but it clearing shows intent.

On the football front how many loanees do we have? Not that many. Some have harped on for years to play the kids and now we are. PL in the main has recruited well, Holy, Norwood, Garbutt & Wilson have all performed well. Norris May be more debatable. What he inherited was about as bad as you could get. Would anyone else have kept us up? Who knows.

We can all question tactics rotation and formations until the cows come home. But the simple fact is PL is the manager and he picks the team. We currently sit right in the mix for promotion something we would have all taken at the start of he season.

Some people in my opinion need to get a grip on reality and see the bigger picture. We have no Devine right to win anything and anyone who’s ever played sport should realise this fact.

Those who don’t like it should not bother turning up and vote with their feet. I did under MM. I for one are fed up listening to shallow fans bleating on all the time during and after games slagging off players and their own fans.

The club is stronger united together. In any walk of life rid yourselves of apathy and your half way there.
Ando I still don't get why it is 'great'. Why extending his contract while the team is on the slump? We could have waited till the end of the season at least and review the situation then.

The best thing Lambert has done so far is the off-pitch stuff. We can't take it from him. The club is no longer such a toxic place it used to be under mccarthy. But we should be considering getting rid of him or questioning his vision/tactics. Not rewarding him with effectively a 5 year deal. The team is on the slump. We aren't progressing as a team. Constant chopping and changing and what stability and clear direction are you talking about? There is no progress on the pitch and we have no pattern/style of play. Stability and direction under Marcus Evans? This person has brought a failure and destruction and I'll tell you what the 'vision' he is. Selling Downes or Woolfenden so that Evans can recoup a part of his losses.

The stability and vision......Dear me ! No surprise the club will listen to offers for our better players, this is how Evans has operated for years. Five year plan has always been a joke to appease Evans love-in crew, we don’t plan beyond the next transfer window let alone the next five years. You can’t build anything when the foundations keep being pulled out from under you, it didn’t work in the Championship and it won’t work in League 1.

Even if we get promoted we'll be in the dogfight from the beginning. We'll be on the par with Rotherhams, Burtons, Barnsleys the clubs whose the only 'ambition' is to stay in the Championship as Evans won't help us to compete in that league. Historically we had been in the 25-30 best clubs in the country but now we're in the different era because of the disaster and failure that Evans has been for the club.

We are destined to be in the wilderness for a good few seasons yet. Extending Lamberts contract is a madness and absurd and we should have waited a bit longer to see if the situation improves.

Ando

Post by Ando » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:54 am

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:41 am
Ando wrote:

It’s great because this club needs stability and clear direction. PL has off the field turned this club around from the hollow pretences under the last couple of the MM years. Fans are engaged and attendances are up. People enjoy going to matches now. The club are also engaged with the community. PL is dead right when he says there is no club without the fans. Attending games with my family is far me enjoyable than ever before. It’s there for all to see. He himself says he loves the club and has committed his future. Yes of course contracts mean sh*t these days but it clearing shows intent.

On the football front how many loanees do we have? Not that many. Some have harped on for years to play the kids and now we are. PL in the main has recruited well, Holy, Norwood, Garbutt & Wilson have all performed well. Norris May be more debatable. What he inherited was about as bad as you could get. Would anyone else have kept us up? Who knows.

We can all question tactics rotation and formations until the cows come home. But the simple fact is PL is the manager and he picks the team. We currently sit right in the mix for promotion something we would have all taken at the start of he season.

Some people in my opinion need to get a grip on reality and see the bigger picture. We have no Devine right to win anything and anyone who’s ever played sport should realise this fact.

Those who don’t like it should not bother turning up and vote with their feet. I did under MM. I for one are fed up listening to shallow fans bleating on all the time during and after games slagging off players and their own fans.

The club is stronger united together. In any walk of life rid yourselves of apathy and your half way there.
Ando I still don't get why it is 'great'. Why extending his contract while the team is on the slump? We could have waited till the end of the season at least and review the situation then.

The best thing Lambert has done so far is the off-pitch stuff. We can't take it from him. The club is no longer such a toxic place it used to be under mccarthy. But we should be considering getting rid of him or questioning his vision/tactics. Not rewarding him with effectively a 5 year deal. The team is on the slump. We aren't progressing as a team. Constant chopping and changing and what stability and clear direction are you talking about? There is no progress on the pitch and we have no pattern/style of play. Stability and direction under Marcus Evans? This person has brought a failure and destruction and I'll tell you what the 'vision' he is. Selling Downes or Woolfenden so that Evans can recoup a part of his losses.

The stability and vision......Dear me ! No surprise the club will listen to offers for our better players, this is how Evans has operated for years. Five year plan has always been a joke to appease Evans love-in crew, we don’t plan beyond the next transfer window let alone the next five years. You can’t build anything when the foundations keep being pulled out from under you, it didn’t work in the Championship and it won’t work in League 1.

Even if we get promoted we'll be in the dogfight from the beginning. We'll be on the par with Rotherhams, Burtons, Barnsleys the clubs whose the only 'ambition' is to stay in the Championship as Evans won't help us to compete in that league. Historically we had been in the 25-30 best clubs in the country but now we're in the different era because of the disaster and failure that Evans has been for the club.

We are destined to be in the wilderness for a good few seasons yet. Extending Lamberts contract is a madness and absurd and we should have waited a bit longer to see if the situation improves.
I think we agree on what PL has done off the pitch has been good for the club.

On the footballing side I forgot to mention PL has also brought KVY to the club. We have been crying out for a proper right back for years and years. Therefore further progress.

I do accept your point on five year plans, it can easily be derailed. There was no clear plan under MM other than focusing on the present. ME tried with Hurst but we all know how that went, the Donacien transfer is testament to that. I think it will take a long time for the club to recover from the PH saga and ME must accept a proportion of the blame. But this is another reason the club needs stability and keeping PL is part of the long term process. Could the contract extension have waited until the end of the season? Only time will tell.

With the exception of a handful of clubs, every club is a selling club, every player has their price and we as fans have to accept it. What we do with transfer money is key. The Mings money went on wages for MCGoldrick, Murphy and loanees. Therefore, the club stagnated. MM did get Waghorn and Garner but then Hurst blew the money when they were sold along with Webster. So ME did allow the money from sales to be re-invested.

So when our prize assets are sold at some point in the future surely it’s better the money is made available to a manager who is rebuilding The club from with in, who is committed to a long term plan, who says the club is more important than him and means it?

Ultimately sport is about results on the pitch and positive results are not a given at any level. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to take a look at themselves. Yes results have dropped lately but anyone even after the start we had thought this was going to be easy needs to think again.

I agree if we do get promoted we will be in a dogfight our budget is lower Championship, we need larger crowds to increase revenue and use our academy. Hence another reason to have PL committed to the club. We are in a real dogfight now and sticking together is our best chance of promotion.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:34 am

If there is anybody on here who really believes PL will be here in 2025 if we don't get any promotions I am afraid you are deluded.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:56 am

We all know contracts are worth zero in football (loyalty context of course). This is just a show of unity to make the team bonded again and to show solidarity. I think it’s longer than it needed to be, but a good idea give the feelings at the moment in the club. It’s stopped the rumours of PL leaving and shown everyone that the club are in this together. A sensible decision.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:04 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:34 am
If there is anybody on here who really believes PL will be here in 2025 if we don't get any promotions I am afraid you are deluded.
Has that been said?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:05 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:56 am
We all know contracts are worth zero in football (loyalty context of course). This is just a show of unity to make the team bonded again and to show solidarity. I think it’s longer than it needed to be, but a good idea give the feelings at the moment in the club. It’s stopped the rumours of PL leaving and shown everyone that the club are in this together. A sensible decision.
Yep, exactly that.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:46 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
It’s stopped the rumours of PL leaving........
Let's be a bit clearer here, to my knowledge because I read every publication possible, he started the rumours himself. And if I've missed a bit where there were rumours, then he himself added the fuel to that fire.

But ......, it's all in the past, hopefully he doesn't feel the need to "take the pi$$", ------> (which by the way, if you watch his demeanour and his facial expressions, there was NO pi$$ taking going on, he was clearly under severe pressure hearing questions that weren't even being asked; agree to differ in that area) ----> and he gets to work straight away with the onfield Rock f**king bottom of the form league scenario. Let's face it, (as Derick alludes to) the four years sorts the "unity" ..... The results will determine if he's actually at Portman Road come May 2021, never mind 2025.
For me, no more chit chat about behind the scenes --------> let the chit chat commence on the park.

Ando

Post by Ando » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:46 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Agree, without progress I can’t see anyone believing we would keep a manager for 5 years.

PL’s time will come to leave, the same as anyone else. But hopefully not for a few years yet.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:31 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:46 pm
nicscreamer wrote:
It’s stopped the rumours of PL leaving........
Let's be a bit clearer here, to my knowledge because I read every publication possible, he started the rumours himself. And if I've missed a bit where there were rumours, then he himself added the fuel to that fire.

But ......, it's all in the past, hopefully he doesn't feel the need to "take the pi$$", ------> (which by the way, if you watch his demeanour and his facial expressions, there was NO pi$$ taking going on, he was clearly under severe pressure hearing questions that weren't even being asked; agree to differ in that area) ----> and he gets to work straight away with the onfield Rock f**king bottom of the form league scenario. Let's face it, (as Derick alludes to) the four years sorts the "unity" ..... The results will determine if he's actually at Portman Road come May 2021, never mind 2025.
For me, no more chit chat about behind the scenes --------> let the chit chat commence on the park.
Spot on Marko.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:01 pm

The idea of Paul Lambert being here in 2025 is a f**king concern. Sorry but that's the way it is. So what's the plan, he takes us from League One into the Championship and back to the EPL since time began ? I'm trying to give people a chance and the opportunity to succeed but patience has been seriously eroded not only the last year but way back before it.

I can't view this as a solution to a problem. Just about seen it all since Evans took ownership, appointment after another tried and failed directly under his name. Yes we can't get rid of the owner because the club would go under without it et cetera et cetera (or so you would believe) but there's an evident pattern that has emerged and the skeptical side of things has taken hold / continues to be prevalent.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:44 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:04 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Has that been said?
You really need to take those blue tinted glasses off mate. It is getting to the stage now where everything that goes wrong or is wrong you take a positive from. How? It does not make the rest of us who are not so blinkered wrong. And you should also except that.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:06 pm

That's got nothing to do with the comment you made, who has said he'd be here in 2025 without any promotions? I've not seen it anywhere.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:03 pm

Think Dericks post is just conveying the very idea of a 4 year long contract and the (in my opinion also) highly unlikely event that it'll see its duration through to the end. A bit like the more recent unfortunate scenario with Paul Hurst. Cannot remember how long he got, 2 or 3 years but was emptied a few months later.
For a lot of people, the results need to start running parallel alongside having the guy in the building for 4 years...... which no doubt is your opinion also.
The actual miniature issue on here (and it shouldn't be an issue at all) is that you have a very positive outlook and a vision that it'll all work out, which is great.

To use a Saint phrase, "bottom line" ...... just start winning games. Easy as that sounds.

I'd love Paul Lambert to come out and say, "This is the great Ipswich Town Football Club playing in the English League One; We DO have a Divine Right to win."
It'd be like an American movie where everybody is boosted with pride and "FK YEAH!" expressions......, and the 3 & 4-0's commence.

Ah well, thats another vision. :D

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:04 am

nicscreamer wrote:

It could just be a simple case of Evans making sure that if Paul Lambert leaves ITFC for another club Town gets adequately compensated. Personally I blame PL entirely for Towns recent loss of form and poor results, firstly because of his ridiculous rotation policy which leaves players with little idea of where they fit in the team or what they have to do to keep their place. For sure this is likely to p*ss players off, dampen their confidence and lessen their desire to play for the team. Secondly I think PL’s recent lack of commitment to the club and suggestions that he might not be staying will also have had a negative impact on players and their commitment to him and the club.
Maybe now he’s signed a new deal the situation will change for the good, let’s hope so, although the likelihood of him being around at the end of this contract is highly unlikely, but at least the players now know who the boss is and who they have to please.
Having resolved half the problem, all he needs to do now is apply himself to working out which are his best 9 or 10 players who should be in his starting line up every week (subject to availability) and put them on his team sheet every week until they show signs of not being worthy of his selection.
Jurgen Klopp doesn’t have a problem selecting the same players each week, even when Liverpool played 3 games in 8 days over Christmas and the New Year Klopp had 10 players who started every game, Alisson, Gomez, Van Dyke, Robertson, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Salah, Firmino & Mané, with Keita, Lallana & Milner filling either the 11th place or coming on off the bench with Origi. That’s a tight squad of 14 players used every game, and that’s after pretty much the same line up that played in the Club World Cup Final in Qatar just four days earlier when Oxlaid-Chamberlain filled the floating midfield slot.
Now that’s what I call a good manager knowing his best starting line up, for what it’s worth, Brendan Rogers does pretty much the same at Leicester City. No surprise then that Liverpool and Leicester City are currently the two most successful clubs in English Football.
Maybe Paul Lambert should start taking a leaf out of these two Managers little note books, rotation is definitely “Old Hat” Paul, it simply doesn’t get the best out of players and doesn’t work.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:08 am

marko69 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:03 pm
Think Dericks post is just conveying the very idea of a 4 year long contract and the (in my opinion also) highly unlikely event that it'll see its duration through to the end. A bit like the more recent unfortunate scenario with Paul Hurst. Cannot remember how long he got, 2 or 3 years but was emptied a few months later.
For a lot of people, the results need to start running parallel alongside having the guy in the building for 4 years...... which no doubt is your opinion also.
The actual miniature issue on here (and it shouldn't be an issue at all) is that you have a very positive outlook and a vision that it'll all work out, which is great.

To use a Saint phrase, "bottom line" ...... just start winning games. Easy as that sounds.

I'd love Paul Lambert to come out and say, "This is the great Ipswich Town Football Club playing in the English League One; We DO have a Divine Right to win."
It'd be like an American movie where everybody is boosted with pride and "FK YEAH!" expressions......, and the 3 & 4-0's commence.

Ah well, thats another vision. :D
That's fine but what has that got to do with me ? Where have I or anyone else said he will see his contract through to the end ? It's got nothing to do with seeing things through Blue tinted glasses, I don't get the comment, because I'm happy with the contract doesn't mean I want him here for the duration irrespective of results, I don't think people graap it, it's all about a sign of building for the future and continuity, nothing more, as I have already said contracts mean sod all anyway but at least Evans has protected himself for once should Lambert gets wanted elsewhere too.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:49 am

You wouldn’t believe offering a show of intent and stability for the Club and manager would upset people. Christ, there’s no please some is there!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:36 am

Ah right, then it’s all about interpretation then. A thing that only happens on forums. I think you said somewhere on a thread somewhere, maybe this thread, (or the preview, can’t remember) that “you know” he’ll turn things around. Perhaps with that type of comment, people then skip to you thinking that he’ll actually see out 4 years....... but that’s not your problem at all. Interpretation.
And edit to add, there is nothing wrong with thinking Lambert WILL turn things around. Everyone one is different and no one is right or wrong.
Let’s face it, both Alan Sugar and Elon Musk In their books said at a single figure age, “I will be a millionaire when I’m older.”
Positivity is no bad thing.

As long as it’s not HIV. That can’t be good.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:47 am

Yes saying I know he will turn it around is a brash statement, I just happen to believe he will but that atill won't guarantee he sees out this contract.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:13 am

The last person who managed the club for 5 years turned out to be a complete BELLEND and now we have the making of another. He is just at the BELL stage at the present. :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:21 am

Are you no longer a believer Derick ? Can he still change your opinion or gone too far ?

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:15 pm

Once he gets the End on Bell he as gone for me. That will come when promotion is no longer achievable.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:54 pm

Ando wrote:
This is great news. Rebuilding the club will take time and this is the stability it needs.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:15 pm

That’s 15 laughing emoji faces last two posts in two threads? You’re either smashing the joint up or laughing your a$$ off. Is there no middle ground wi you?

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:41 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:54 pm
Ando wrote:
This is great news. Rebuilding the club will take time and this is the stability it needs.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Still stand by my comments. The players need to take some responsibility. Virtually all PL signings have been better than what we had and only spent 500k on transfers.