A strong case for starting every game with best X1

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

A strong case for starting every game with best X1

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:39 am

Jurgen Klopp doesn’t have a problem selecting the same players each week, even when Liverpool played 3 games in 8 days over Christmas and New Year Klopp had 10 players who started every game, Alisson, Gomez, Van Dyke, Robertson, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Salah, Firmino & Mané, with Keita, Lallana & Milner filling either the 11th place or coming on off the bench with Origi. That’s a tight squad of 14 players used every game, and that’s after pretty much the same line up played in the Club World Cup Final in Qatar just four days earlier when Oxlaid-Chamberlain filled the floating midfield slot before getting injured.
Now that’s what I call a good manager knowing his best starting line up, for what it’s worth, Brendan Rogers does pretty much the same at Leicester City. No surprise then that Liverpool and Leicester City are currently the two most successful clubs in English Football.
Maybe Paul Lambert should start taking a leaf out of these two Managers note books, rotation is definitely “Old Hat” Paul, it simply doesn’t get the best out of players and doesn’t work.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Re: A strong case for starting every game with best X1

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:36 am

Not a rocket science is it Charny? Stop doing LAMBINGO and play with your strongest team.

Moreover Lambert despite having a large squad has been moaning about cup competitions. We are out of all cups so we'll see what excuses he'll be coming out with during the rest of the season.

2 months without a win in the league isn't a bad luck. It's the ramification of Lamberts decisions and ineptitude.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:04 am

Personally I think we will see him settle down now. Cups are both over, it's a 22 game season. Players like Keane, Huws & Norwood seem to be over their earlier injuries and Sears & Bishop are coming through also.

The line up for Wycombe was arguably the strongest line up we have and I expect it to be more or less unchanged for the rest of the games assuming we do well and don't have a lot of injuries.

I've been supporting PLs rotation system but now I think it's time for the final straight, it's time to settle things down.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:18 am

I’m not sure it’s in his make up DB. He did this at Villa, and to s9me extent Stoke too I believe.

It is 99% of Town problem now and why we can’t win a bloody game. He must stop changing the team very sodding game. It’s killing our season.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:11 am

Well since Bishop has come back and was our best player yesterday, they’ll be a clamour for him to be in the team. Kenlock, I thought, did well yesterday and put a case for a recall to allow Garbutt to play left midfield. And Sears is back now. It’s more likely there’ll be more changes and team permutations before we can get a settled side.
That’s if Lambert will try and settle things down. He might want to still prove a point regarding rotation. First thing is to get a winning team whatever that is and whenever that is. Probably too many options available at Lambert’s disposal - especially in midfield.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:19 am

You would think it would be simple to play your best 11 every week with 3 sub back ups. He does not have that many to choose from to be honest what with most of the fringe players being sh*te.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:24 am

I think there will be more clarity with team selection now though cus the cups were making it look far more ridiculous with so many changes, each cup match meant 10ish changes from the previous game and to the next game.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:17 pm

Lambert was Klopp when at League One Norwich City. He “believed” that the same side that were hammered by his Colchester were good. Maybe, he thinks that, Flynn Downes aside, they’re all sh*t and he’s struggling to find the combination.

He’s managing Ipswich Town like a game of 70s mastermind with the coloured pegs.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:48 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:24 am
I think there will be more clarity with team selection now though cus the cups were making it look far more ridiculous with so many changes, each cup match meant 10ish changes from the previous game and to the next game.
I agree. We had almost alternating league and cup matches.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:37 pm

Andym wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:48 pm
Bluemike wrote:
But unfortunately we have not been winning either?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:25 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:37 pm
Andym wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Because there is so much alternation.

Need to be careful. This could turn into an Abbot & Costello "who's on first" routine.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:21 pm

Nine changes by Klopp today. :lol:

The FA Cup really has lost its prestige.

There was a picture on BBC with the WBA player scoring at The Valley....., a sea of empty red seats in the background. No one gives a sh!t anymore

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:27 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:21 pm
Nine changes by Klopp today. :lol:

There was a picture on BBC with the WBA player scoring at The Valley....., a sea of empty red seats in the background. No one gives a sh!t anymore
the 3rd round of the FA Cup used to be a magical day, but as you say "No one gives a sh!t anymore" well until they get to the Quarter or Semi's then everyone moans cause they cant get tickets. PS, Those seats at the Valley were not empty but actually Charlton fans in fancy dress dressed as red chairs :lol:

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:06 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Andym wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
I agree. But in previous years we would put out a team if young lads and lose the 2 cup games. This year because of the extra cup we have had....7? 8? ...cup games and somehow a greater number of potential first team players. Those games have been an ideal time to rotate the squad. If they had been spread throughout the season it wouldn't have mattered so much.

When Roy Hodgson was manager of Fulham, he'd pick the team for the weekend on the Monday. They would spend the rest of the week practising against the remainder of the squad. I mention this because I think it's relevant. We aren't talking about local league players who might train for a couple of hours on a Wednesday and then play on Saturday. They are training together every day. So i really don't see changes of formation or players as an issue, they must be used to playing together. The combination of non stop cup games, injuries and suspensions has necessitated change.

However, what I think is an issue is the dropping of players who have performed well, particularly from league game to league game. And rotating the keepers doesn't help a struggling defence who need to know what a going on behind them. It's not so bad for the keeper who can see - and should be communicating with the defence throughout. But for the defence they need to know a keeper, when he'll come out for a cross, or stay on his line, or rush out to gift a couple of soft goals.....

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:17 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:21 pm
Nine changes by Klopp today. :
lol:

All those changes and except for 3 good saves by Adrian, Liverpool 'Reserves' virtually bossed a very strong Everton side. An example of a club oozing that much confidence & class, the rotation of players made very little difference. As for the goal from young Curtis Jones; Messi or Ronaldo couldn't have applied a better finish!
So yes, mass rotation can work, it seems, but only if you are Liverpool playing at Anfield!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:27 pm

Listened to first half on radio as was out in van....... commentator...... “this Liverpool side, heavily rotated.......”

Anyone else wish the word “rotate” would Fk off out of football? Klopp didn’t play his first team, he played the reserves...... he rotated f*ck all you media c u n t s.

Sorry, AndyM. I did think “you media arseholes” but decided to rotate that at the last minute.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:24 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:27 pm

Sorry, AndyM. I did think “you media arseholes” but decided to rotate that at the last minute.
😂😂😂.
That reminded me of the ice cream seller joke.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:04 pm

I dunno, for me at least, playing together in practice and scrimmages was nothing like playing together in a league match. There's a completely different atmosphere and feel to the flow of play in a competitive match against dissimilar opposition. It's hard for me to understand why Lambo is continuing to rotate the squad...it doesn't take a genius to see it isn't working ffs! Identify your best starting 11, and fiddle around with the subs. Of course, thousands of fans are saying the same thing! Maybe Lambo needs to take a quick trip to the Shetlands and blow on some bagpipes while in isolation along the shore...clear his mind so to speak.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:32 pm

Let’s hope we now see a settled team that only sees changes for injuries. I do think the formation may change for tactical reasons. We do not seem to have picked up too many muscle injuries, that’s likely to be down to rotation. Harry Kane is an example of a player who’s been over played.

Regarding Liverpool, their best 11 is much better than their back up players imo making rotation more difficult. As where we have a large squad particularly in midfield where the players are pretty much of the same standard, Downes being the exception. Therefore rotation is easier. Downes has been rested but unlike Kane has not picked up a muscle injury. Kane will now be out for several weeks.

Swapping out Holy certainly makes no sense to me. I do feel with the run of results it’s time to focus on the game that’s in front of us and not to look ahead.

I think he knows his best 11 for each formation.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:41 am

Andym wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:06 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Andym wrote:

I agree. But in previous years we would put out a team if young lads and lose the 2 cup games. This year because of the extra cup we have had....7? 8? ...cup games and somehow a greater number of potential first team players. Those games have been an ideal time to rotate the squad. If they had been spread throughout the season it wouldn't have mattered so much.

When Roy Hodgson was manager of Fulham, he'd pick the team for the weekend on the Monday. They would spend the rest of the week practising against the remainder of the squad. I mention this because I think it's relevant. We aren't talking about local league players who might train for a couple of hours on a Wednesday and then play on Saturday. They are training together every day. So i really don't see changes of formation or players as an issue, they must be used to playing together. The combination of non stop cup games, injuries and suspensions has necessitated change.

However, what I think is an issue is the dropping of players who have performed well, particularly from league game to league game. And rotating the keepers doesn't help a struggling defence who need to know what a going on behind them. It's not so bad for the keeper who can see - and should be communicating with the defence throughout. But for the defence they need to know a keeper, when he'll come out for a cross, or stay on his line, or rush out to gift a couple of soft goals.....
I agree about that form players shouldn’t be dropped. How does that help anyone out - it must affect players confidence and impact on the team’s performance and development.
I don’t agree that every player can train with the squad and then be dropped into the next match day squad and perform seamlessly. We don’t have a good enough group of players to do that and it might take some of them a few games to feel comfortable into a certain position or a new formation or playing with new team members. You surely can never replicate the intensity of a real match in training. Some players can be great trainers, but can’t hack it on a matchday.

The Cup defeat at Exeter could be an opportunity for Lambert to back down on his policy of changing the team. I felt he backed himself into a corner earlier in the season by saying that he has faith in any squad member to come in and do a job. They didn’t.
It feels like he was stubbornly sticking to his guns a bit too much trying to prove a point. Now we’re out of the Cup, a good opportunity for Lambert to wriggle out of that corner and settle the team down.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:56 am

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:41 am
Andym wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:

I agree about that form players shouldn’t be dropped. How does that help anyone out - it must affect players confidence and impact on the team’s performance and development.
I don’t agree that every player can train with the squad and then be dropped into the next match day squad and perform seamlessly. We don’t have a good enough group of players to do that and it might take some of them a few games to feel comfortable into a certain position or a new formation or playing with new team members. You surely can never replicate the intensity of a real match in training. Some players can be great trainers, but can’t hack it on a matchday.

The Cup defeat at Exeter could be an opportunity for Lambert to back down on his policy of changing the team. I felt he backed himself into a corner earlier in the season by saying that he has faith in any squad member to come in and do a job. They didn’t.
It feels like he was stubbornly sticking to his guns a bit too much trying to prove a point. Now we’re out of the Cup, a good opportunity for Lambert to wriggle out of that corner and settle the team down.

Agree with that paragraph completely, we have 21 games to reach our objective, I believe the way the League is going we need to win 14 of them for top Two.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:18 am

Ando wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:32 pm
Let’s hope we now see a settled team that only sees changes for injuries. I do think the formation may change for tactical reasons. We do not seem to have picked up too many muscle injuries, that’s likely to be down to rotation. Harry Kane is an example of a player who’s been over played.

Regarding Liverpool, their best 11 is much better than their back up players imo making rotation more difficult. As where we have a large squad particularly in midfield where the players are pretty much of the same standard, Downes being the exception. Therefore rotation is easier. Downes has been rested but unlike Kane has not picked up a muscle injury. Kane will now be out for several weeks.

Swapping out Holy certainly makes no sense to me. I do feel with the run of results it’s time to focus on the game that’s in front of us and not to look ahead.

But any impact injuries can occur at any time. Donacien, Chambers, Skuse, Nolan have been out for knocks recently. You can’t predict them - they’re going to happen. Hence, why hold players back or rotate players when they’re playing well in the chance they might get jaded or pick up a muscle injury in the future? No need to flog players, but form players should pick themselves on the teamsheet and if they’re fit - they should play. They can pick up an impact or muscle injury at any time (rotated or not), so use them while they’re fit. And if they’re looking jaded, time for a rest.

Our last 12 league games have been 5 losses, 5 draws and 2 wins ( Southend and Rochdale). That’s 25 points dropped out of 36 - that’s pretty shocking for a club with our resources and ambitions for automatic promotion in this league. After that run, I can’t get too much joy reading that muscle injuries are improving. He’s simply got to find his best side, stick with them and change players out if and when the situation arises.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:37 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:56 am
tangfastic wrote:
Andym wrote:

Agree with that paragraph completely, we have 21 games to reach our objective, I believe the way the League is going we need to win 14 of them for top Two.
12 at Home and 9 away. Are home form has got to improve dramatically to achieve our goal.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:58 pm

There's no other distractions, injuries and suspensions aside there can be little excuse for nothing than a sustained attempt at automatic promotion. I don't view it that the manager or team would settle for a play-off place or just finishing between third and sixth would be their eventual target.

Does Lambert even know what is our best starting XI is ? Got to be some method to the madness of changing teams and unsettling sides near each time we take to field. Best guess when we find a comprehensive win or performance, we stick with it and same again for the fixtures thereafter.

That early run back in the fall when going 12, 13 games unbeaten, I don't recall how or why it fell away like it did. Maybe teams sussed us out or injuries occurred at key moments. Momentum truly broken up but even then we weren't overly convincing, gaining results that weren't entirely deserved and scores that probably defied our true abilities.

Ando

Post by Ando » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:42 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:18 am
Ando wrote:

But any impact injuries can occur at any time. Donacien, Chambers, Skuse, Nolan have been out for knocks recently. You can’t predict them - they’re going to happen. Hence, why hold players back or rotate players when they’re playing well in the chance they might get jaded or pick up a muscle injury in the future? No need to flog players, but form players should pick themselves on the teamsheet and if they’re fit - they should play. They can pick up an impact or muscle injury at any time (rotated or not), so use them while they’re fit. And if they’re looking jaded, time for a rest.

Our last 12 league games have been 5 losses, 5 draws and 2 wins ( Southend and Rochdale). That’s 25 points dropped out of 36 - that’s pretty shocking for a club with our resources and ambitions for automatic promotion in this league. After that run, I can’t get too much joy reading that muscle injuries are improving. He’s simply got to find his best side, stick with them and change players out if and when the situation arises.
Was just making the point that muscle injuries are more likely to occur when players are fatigued. Yes knocks can be picked up at anytime and players just want to play.

Would we all be having this conversation if the results had been more favourable? As I have said some of the rotation does appear unnecessary at times.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:12 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:37 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:56 am
tangfastic wrote:

12 at Home and 9 away. Are home form has got to improve dramatically to achieve our goal.
I said a few months ago Town needed to create a gap at the top ( we were top at the time ), because our run in was mostly home games and we struggle to win at home . Which was something else I’d predicted before the season started. You’d think if fans can work this out , the professionals at the Club could too.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:55 pm

Shame it’s not 12 away games and 9 at home. Our home form is shocking, I think only Rochdale and Southend United have won fewer than our 14 home points whilst we’re still ranked No 1 with 24 away points.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:26 pm

Ando wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:42 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:18 am
Ando wrote:

Was just making the point that muscle injuries are more likely to occur when players are fatigued. Yes knocks can be picked up at anytime and players just want to play.

Would we all be having this conversation if the results had been more favourable? As I have said some of the rotation does appear unnecessary at times.
No, we wouldn’t be talking about rotation if the results were going our way. But that’s the reference point we have to go back to - the results. In some ways I hope it’s down to rotation, because, if not, it could be the obvious alternative is we’re just not good enough.

I can understand about keeping players fresh and to avoid injuries, but since we’ve haemorrhaged so many points in October, November and December it seems a bit of a misguided policy. I would have thought Lambert would have settled things down after a few bad results and gone back to basics - but he’s persisted with it too long IMO.

And we still don’t know if it’s down to rotation. Until we get a settled team for a few games we won’t know. I’m still scratching my head over this season - the first 10-12 games was very good results, but some iffy, non-dominant performances and the rest was terrible results. One constant is - all season we’ve never put in a full 90 minute or really dominant performance. Lambert hasnt really got the best out of the squad. If we cut some slack to Lambert - maybe the players need to pay him back for showing faith in them as he’s taking the brunt of the criticism for their bad performances.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:22 pm

When Hurst was appointed he had a reputation for playing his favourites and not changing the team. That soon changed at Ipswich.

From what people have written here, Lambert historically has changed the line up from game to game. The problem he has had though is we have been paying poorly and not getting results. So what is the justification for playing the same team that has performed badly? He would be criticised for sticking with a losing team if they continued to lose just as much as he's criticised for changing it and still losing. As has been said, without the cup matches we wouldn't have seen so many changes.

However I still think his mistake is leaving out players who have played well. That's what makes players wonder what's gong on.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:38 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:22 pm
When Hurst was appointed he had a reputation for playing his favourites and not changing the team. That soon changed at Ipswich.

From what people have written here, Lambert historically has changed the line up from game to game. The problem he has had though is we have been paying poorly and not getting results. So what is the justification for playing the same team that has performed badly? He would be criticised for sticking with a losing team if they continued to lose just as much as he's criticised for changing it and still losing. As has been said, without the cup matches we wouldn't have seen so many changes.

However I still think his mistake is leaving out players who have played well. That's what makes players wonder what's gong on.
Isn’t that rotation of sorts - dropping or resting in-form players? An example was Jackson recently who was a MOTM and then got benched next game. Agree though about players who’ve preformed badly - it can be seen that they’re dropped over their performances and not rotation, but, then again, they get recalled far too readily. There doesn’t seem to be a policy of keeping your place by playing to a certain standard and conversely winning your place back in the team.