By tomorrow night our game in hand will be gone !

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

By tomorrow night our game in hand will be gone !

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:04 am

When we play Oxford United tomorrow night we have a chance to go top of the table but only if we win 0-5 which requires Oxford to loose three games on the bounce. Highly unlikely and improbable, but possible. Whatever the result tomorrow night we will then have teams in the chasing pack with games in hand over us which has been unusual for most of this season.

Looking at our fixtures over the next few weeks we have a number of games coming up which involve these chasing teams all within two points of 6th place Sunderland, after the Oxford game we have Rotherham (A) on 28 Jan, Peterborough (H) 1 Feb, Sunderland (A) 8 Feb, Burton (H) 15 Feb, and Oxford (H) 22 Feb.

I think when we get to the end of February we’ll have a really good idea of our chances of winning promotion and looking at these games along with others against Tranmere, Lincoln, Wimbledon and Blackpool suggest the period between now and the end of Feb could well define our season.

Looking at this scenario our 4-1 win on Saturday couldn’t have come at a better time.

Good luck to the boys over the next few weeks, I really hope we can pull it off as I do not like being in League One and don’t want to accept staying here regardless of how attractive our football is and how much some are enjoying watching it.

Tangfastic

Re: By tomorrow night our game in hand will be gone !

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:13 am

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:04 am
When we play Oxford United tomorrow night we have a chance to go top of the table but only if we win 0-5 which requires Oxford to loose three games on the bounce. Highly unlikely and improbable, but possible. Whatever the result tomorrow night we will then have teams in the chasing pack with games in hand over us which has been unusual for most of this season.

Looking at our fixtures over the next few weeks we have a number of games coming up which involve these chasing teams all within two points of 6th place Sunderland, after the Oxford game we have Rotherham (H) on 28 Jan, Peterborough (H) 1 Feb, Sunderland (A) 8 Feb, Burton (H) 15 Feb, and Oxford (H) 22 Feb.

I think when we get to the end of February we’ll have a really good idea of our chances of winning promotion and looking at these games along with others against Tranmere, Lincoln, Wimbledon and Blackpool suggest the period between now and the end of Feb could well define our season.

Looking at this scenario our 4-1 win on Saturday couldn’t have come at a better time.

Good luck to the boys over the next few weeks, I really hope we can pull it off as I do not like being in League One and don’t want to accept staying here regardless of how attractive our football is and how much some are enjoying watching it.
We can look at these tough games as opportunities for three points and also to put a dent in our opponents promotion campaign.

The highest placed team we’ve beaten so far is Fleetwood in ninth. Time for that to change.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:23 am

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:13 am
Charnwood wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:04 am

Looking at our fixtures over the next few weeks we have a number of games coming up which involve these chasing teams all within two points of 6th place Sunderland, after the Oxford game we have Rotherham (H) on 28 Jan, Peterborough (H) 1 Feb, Sunderland (A) 8 Feb, Burton (H) 15 Feb, and Oxford (H) 22 Feb.

We can look at these tough games as opportunities for three points and also to put a dent in our opponents promotion campaign.

The highest placed team we’ve beaten so far is Fleetwood in ninth. Time for that to change.

I think these tough games can all be looked at as “four pointers” in the true sense of the quote.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:20 pm

Its slightly harder as Rotherham is away.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:04 pm

That should make it easier !

Like us Rotherham’s away results are significantly better than their results at home.

Away table
............... GP W D L GF GA GD Pts
1 Rotherham 13 8 2 3 24 15 +9 26
2 Ipswich Town 13 7 3 3 20 13 +7 24

Home

15 Rotherham 12 5 3 4 21 11 +10 18
16 Burton Albion 11 5 3 3 12 8 +4 18
17 Accrington 11 5 2 4 24 15 +9 17
18 Ipswich Town 11 4 5 2 17 10 +7 17

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:27 pm

That's good then lol

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:12 pm

I said to Mike before the season even started that we would go better away from home, then at PR, purely due to how teams would approach games at PR. And so it’s been shown to be the case sadly.

It concerns me that the lead we once had is now long gone and we are now playing catch up as we enter the final straight. With so many home games In our run in and our home form bring what it is it is going to be nip and tuck now until probably final game of season . But that’s the “ Ipswich way” isn’t it . Nothings easy where we are concerned, lol!

As of now we have

9 Away games
10 Home games

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:24 pm

Walk it 😉

Ando

Post by Ando » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:39 pm

With the Tranmere game rescheduled for early March 4 out of 5 games will be at home

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:43 pm

Do you mean Fleetwood?

Yipppeeeee 12 points

Ando

Post by Ando » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:47 pm

Yes

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:59 pm

... and four of our last six games are at home against..

Southend (22nd) 4 April
Bolton. (23rd) 10 April
Rochdale. (18th) 18 April
and MK Dons (19th) 3 May.

... 4 repeats of Saturday’s performance v Accrington and there could be 12 points there for the taking.

I know few games are easy but I’d much prefer these four games to meeting Rotherham, Wycombe, Oxford and Sunderland which are the corresponding teams at the other end of the table.

I can’t think of a better incentive for Paul Lambert and the team to sort out our home form.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:30 am

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:12 pm
I said to Mike before the season even started that we would go better away from home, then at PR, purely due to how teams would approach games at PR. And so it’s been shown to be the case sadly.

It concerns me that the lead we once had is now long gone and we are now playing catch up as we enter the final straight. With so many home games In our run in and our home form bring what it is it is going to be nip and tuck now until probably final game of season . But that’s the “ Ipswich way” isn’t it . Nothings easy where we are concerned, lol!

As of now we have

9 Away games
10 Home games
That's fair but bear in mind that at the arse end of the season many teams will need results and may not have the option to park the bus and aim for 1 point. I would expect our home form to pick up on H2 but let us see.......

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:54 am

I’d still rather be playing teams at the bottom of the table than the top where teams with more ability will be fighting for automatic promotion places and play off places. I guess the first challenge is to make sure we stay in the top six between now and then.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:13 am

True. By the way are Nsiala & Emanuel allowed to play against us for Noblot?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:19 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:13 am
I hope so.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:39 am

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:19 am
Dubai Blue wrote:
I hope so.
:lol:

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:40 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Dubai Blue wrote:
I hope so.
Brilliant :lol: :lol: :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:58 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Dubai Blue wrote:
I hope so.
I don’t, from past experience they’ll probably keep a clean sheet with one of them winning MOTM after scoring the only goal of the game in added time.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:08 am

Think Toto may have had a ‘mare tonight.

(To the tune of Africa, by Toto)

“I heard the goals ...,,,flying in tonight...,”

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:00 am

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:58 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Dubai Blue wrote:
I hope so.
I don’t, from past experience they’ll probably keep a clean sheet with one of them winning MOTM after scoring the only goal of the game in added time.
I thought Emmanuel left on a free so he will defo play.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:11 am

marko69 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:08 am
Think Toto may have had a ‘mare tonight.

(To the tune of Africa, by Toto)

“I heard the goals ...,,,flying in tonight...,”

By all accounts they were doing ok with the game evenly balanced until the last 5 mins when they conceded 3 goals, the first of which involved Toto......

........But Joe Morrell burst into the box and shot beyond Matthews and when the ball was hacked off the line by Aristote Nsiala it hit his keeper and bounced into the net.

I guess that was pure bad luck.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:19 am

Just read the match report and player ratings which don’t make good reading for our boys, although Daryl Murphy appears to have done OK in what was described as......”a scrappy game played out on a pigsty pitch in shocking conditions”.

Josh Emmanuel 4

Not great. Decent-ish going forward but very poor defensively for the first goal and lost the ball in poor areas. Did make some good blocks to deny Lincoln but probably should have blocked the 3rd which started the capitulation. Needs to get back to where he was, though probably struggling for confidence just like the rest of his team.

Toto Nsiala 3

He’s quick and strong but thrives on having high confidence. Thus, when his head went down he lost it totally. The pass across field that sold Harry Brockbank short and allowed Lincoln to score their 4th was a disgrace. We cannot have a player who cannot lead those around him despite being over 4 years their senior.

Daryl Murphy 5

One of the better performers who’s knockdown for the goal was superb. Gave as good as he got in the air and had no chances to speak of. Wasn’t great but cannot be blamed for our defeat.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:31 am

My heart bleeds for Bolton lol, none of those will ever play for us again so hey ho.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:29 pm

Those marks and comments kind of vindicate Towns decision to let them go doesn’t it . And on the question of fee, we got a very very good fee for Murphy on the back of his one purple season I feel. 👍