Matches called off

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Shed on tour

Matches called off

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:44 pm

With all the talk about Saturdays game I was wondering what is the furthest any of our members have traveled only for the game to be called off.
For me with Town: Man City away November 2000 at Maine Road, Worthington Cup 5th Round. Monsoon struck just before kickoff and it was abandoned after about 25 minutes. Went back the following week and Town won 2-1.
With England: Poland v England in Warsaw 2012, called off because of a waterlogged pitch despite there being a retractable roof. I would still like to meet the pr*ck who decided not to close it.

Ando

Re: Matches called off

Post by Ando » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:51 pm

Never happened to me for a Footie match but travelled 200 miles for a cricket match that was called off as we arrived

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:11 pm

Not had it for foorball either but loads of times with Speedway, Halifax, Belle vue, Swindon, Wolverhampton, Eastbourne, Poole etc etc

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:32 pm

Portman Road when playing Middlesborough. :lol: :lol:
Well I do have to drive from South Norfolk. :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:07 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:32 pm
Portman Road when playing Middlesborough. :lol: :lol:
Well I do have to drive from South Norfolk. :wink:
Haha, similar to me, Azzurro. 13 miles to Easter Road. :lol:
And even then I was only at Telford Road, Edinburgh when the news came on Radio Forth. So only 6 miles maybe? :lol:
Thankfully it was ages ago with no mobile phones. Wife couldn’t call and say, “Game off? Let’s go shopping!”

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:14 pm

Drove down to ipswich from Chester with my son hotel booked for the infamous Middlesbrough game. We ended up getting in a sorry state after the postponement. :wink:

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:02 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:14 pm
Drove down to ipswich from Chester with my son hotel booked for the infamous Middlesbrough game. We ended up getting in a sorry state after the postponement. :wink:
That was a crazy day, remember it being very cold, but I was surprised when the game was abandoned, as the pitch appeared to be in good condition. Believe the touchline area between player tunnel and the dugouts had frozen over.
I was there for the rearranged fixture and seem to recall the North stand doing a countdown to the minute when the first game was called off.