Do formations matter

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Ando

Do formations matter

Post by Ando » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:02 am

PL allows says it’s not about systems it’s about players. I agree to a point as in yes it’s about players performing, but they must perform with in a system.

The following link gives a breakdown on how we have performed in terms wins and average points per game etc. I was surprised when I looked at it initially. People are liking 3-5-2 but there’s nothing in it when comparing to 4-4-2.

https://twitter.com/eflnumbers/status/1 ... 39872?s=21

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Do formations matter

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:01 am

The stats may show there's nothing in it but for me we are far more suited and effective going 3-5-2, especially when we get KVY back. I must admit I am surprised at those stats.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:54 am

What the stats do show as we all know 1 up front does not work.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:26 am

As far as Ipswich Town F.C. are concerned, I wouldn’t know. Can only read reports and judge for myself.

But purely for answering the thread title purposes; For the Red Arrows, yes.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:50 am

Hmmm. I think this stat is irrelevant. During games formations are regularly switched. To make a true comparison you would need to compare goals for/against while certain formations are being played. Also you would need to take account of when players are injured and thus sub optimal players are used in certain formations. Finally there is a rule of thumb that a sample of 30 is the minimum for a meaningful standard deviation calculation for a normal distribution. So maybe it's too early to draw any conclusions.

The 'lies, damn lies & statistics' quote springs to mind.

Seems like the last four games have worked out pretty well with the starting 3-5-2 formation.......

Maybe it's more important to wonder how to keep other managers guessing?

Ando

Post by Ando » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:32 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:54 am
What the stats do show as we all know 1 up front does not work.
Agree, I think the one up top was pretty much shelved after the pre season game at Colchester,. Playing the 3 up top I think at home to Gillingham did not work either.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:47 pm

For me important than the starting line up is a managers ability to recognise mid game what formation changes are necessary to win a game, and knowing which player or players he needs to change to make it happen. Some managers are brilliant at it, able to make inspirational substitutions that bring instant results whilst others are clueless.

I definitely go along with the anti one up front comment, very few strikers can play the role well which leaves them pretty ineffective and the team struggling to score.