Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

More points?

Ipswich Win
82%
Lincoln Win
12%
Draw
6%

Total votes: 17

Frosty
Forum Owner

Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:51 am

Image Ipswich Town v Lincoln CityImage

Saturday 25th January 2020 – 15:00

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

Beach Party.........

Last Saturday's trip to Birkenhead to take on struggling Tranmere Rovers had all the hallmarks of a potential Banana skin, all week leading up to the game there was indecision as to if the game would even be on such was the terrible state of the pitch, when the game was given the go ahead on Saturday morning the pitch itself looked more like a beach with sand scattered down either wing, not to mention bald patches littering much of the pitch, to suggest it was a great leveller was an understatement. to say the least.

The game itself was actually better than many had hoped for given the conditions and Town found the first half tough, despite manager Paul Lambert's views that we were in total control throughout I have to say I thought we struggled in the opening period and even if we did shade it, which is debatable, we really made a woeful home side look better than they were, that was compounded as we squandered One or Two chances before gifting them a sucker punch of a goal from a highly contentious free kick, their big defender rising virtually unchallenged to head past a stranded Will Norris to give them a somewhat undeserved half time lead, things had to improve as Town had been so limp going forward.

Thankfully the second half was like chalk and cheese as we came out of the blocks and got at them, with Flynn Downes and Emyr Huws bossing the Midfield, Kayden Jackson running them ragged up front and the defensive quartet of Garbutt, Edwards, Chambers & Woolfenden all doing their bit in getting forward it turned the match and the home side just could not cope, that is not to say they didn't look dangerous at the breakaway because they did but with James Wilson standing firm at the back it was mainly Town in the ascendancy. Having got ourselves level thanks to a great header from Downes there looked only One winner and thanks to the introductions of Bishop & Norwood Town were able to flip the game on it's head and grab a deserved winner, great link up play by our Two strikers culminated in Jackson capping his excellent individual performance with a deserved goal to seal the win and what a crucial win it was, it may yet prove to be priceless as most of our rivals at the top of the table also had good results on the day.

Town are now on a decent little run themselves and had we got the wins against Oxford & Wycombe that our play deserved we would now be back at the summit of the league table but as it is we find ourselves in a great position and the nightmare run of the last Two months looks to be well and truly over. returning players are looking so strong with Huws in particular impressing in recent games, Bishop too is showing just what we have been missing all season as he plays the Number Ten role how it should be played, getting his head down and running at defenders, committing them and creating chances for teammates, he really was a handful for the time he was on the pitch.

We Owe Them One!!!.......

This Saturday see's us return to Portman Road and now is the time to start turning it into a fortress again, our last home game saw us run out convincing winners against what for me was a poor Accrington side but the form table suggested it would be tricky so fair play to Lambert & the boys for getting such a convincing win which in truth could so easily have been more emphatic.

Our visitors are a certain Lincoln City who of late have certainly been a thorn in our side (FA Cup tie apart), to say we owe them one is a bit of an understatement following the 3-5 drubbing at Sincil Bank a few weeks back, that for me was our lowest point of the season and had me at my most negative which takes some doing. Lincoln themselves may only be in Twelfth place but they are a mere Four points off the play off places that is how close this league is !! We can ill afford any more silly slip up's at home, if we can turn our home form around and maintain our excellent form on the road we will be laughing and with a fair few winnable home games on paper to come it is well within our grasp.

I think Town will do the business here and inflict some form of revenge on the Imps, any kind of win will do for me but if we can carry on the form of the last few games where at times we have played some nice Football that will be even better. The events of recent days have taught me One thing, it is only Football and not life or death, there isn't anyone out there that wants Town to succeed more than I do but should it not go to plan life goes on, I will still be singing my head off Saturday and every other one after that, I will also be enjoying a Beer pre game with friends as I always do, I will be raising a glass too, not to ITFC on this occasion but to my Dad who I sadly lost today (Tuesday) and I will remember that some things are just more important. IPSWICH TIL I DIE !!!!!!!!

The Opposition – Lincoln City

Having formed officially as an amateur association in 1884 after the disbanding of Lincoln Rovers (formerly Lincoln Recreation).

Lincoln soon helped to form what was then the Second Division in 1892–93 season, as an increasing number of clubs wished to join the Football League. The first game at Sincil Bank was in 1895, after moving from the John O'Gaunts Ground, was a friendly draw with local rivals, Gainsborough Trinity.

Up until the 1920s Lincoln spent most of their time swinging between the Second Division and the more localised leagues, the Midland and also the Central league. After then, however, in the 1921–22 season, Lincoln, along with several other clubs from the Central and Midland leagues, founded the Third Division (North). The newly founded league and the Second Division would take turns in becoming Lincoln's home up until the early 1960s where they would drop a further division to the Fourth Division in the 1962–63 season.

Their championship honours include three Division 3 (North) championships in 1931–32, 1947–48 and 1951–52, a Division 4 (now League Two) championship in 1975–76 (when they were managed by future England manager Graham Taylor).

It was the 1975–76 season where the club broke the record for most points for a whole season when 2 instead of 3 points were awarded for a win with 74 points in total (this was and still is the record amount of points achieved under the 2-point system); the record of winning the most games (32) and losing the fewest (4), was also set. City also become the first club in nearly a decade to score over 100 league goals (111 in total). They also won 21 out of 23 home league games in this season (the other 2 were drawn) and also won 11 games away from home, another impressive bout from the club. It was the season where, Graham Taylor recalls, "teams were petrified of coming to Sincil Bank".

In 1982 and again in 1983, Lincoln narrowly missed out on promotion to the Second Division. In 1985, Lincoln were the opposition at Bradford City when the Bradford City stadium fire claimed the lives of 56 spectators – two of them, Bill Stacey and Jim West, were Lincoln fans, and subsequently these fans had the Stacey West stand named after them.

Lincoln were relegated on the last day of the following season, and the year after that they became the first team to suffer automatic relegation from the Football League. This was a dramatic decline for a club who had almost reached the Second Division four years earlier and has been linked to the trauma arising from the disaster. This marked the fourth occasion on which Lincoln were demoted from the Football League, a record that still stands.

They regained their Football League place automatically via promotion as champions of the Conference (beforehand it was done by re-election) at the first attempt with a long ball game devised by eccentric manager Colin Murphy and held on to it until the end of season 2010–11. On 8 September 1990, Lincoln were the opposition when David Longhurst suffered a fatal heart attack during the first half of a game against York City at Bootham Crescent.

On 3 May 2002 Lincoln successfully petitioned to go into administrationbut the financial crisis would leave the first team squad bereft of players as the day saw five senior players –released at the end of their contracts with a sixth, departing for Leyton Orient. A hectic day finished with confirmation of Keith Alexander's official appointment as team manager.

In 2002–03, Alexander was given the task of keeping the team in the football league, he proved the many pundits and fans who believed that Lincoln would be relegated and sent out of business due to financial irregularities wrong. With a team made up of cheap ex-non-league players and the lower paid members of the previous season's squad he managed to take them to the play-off final which they lost to Bournemouth. The team were rewarded with a civil reception in Lincoln, and an open-top bus ride through Lincoln, an event usually preserved for the winners of such competitions, but was awarded to the team because of the massive achievement.

In 2003–04 Alexander again confounded the critics by coaching the Imps to another play-off position, this time losing to eventual winners Huddersfield Town in the semi-finals. Alexander, one of the very few black managers in the Football League, had a very serious brain injury (a cerebral aneurysm) halfway through the season, but made a full recovery. In the 2004–05 season they again qualified for the play-offs, for a third year running, and in the semi-finals Lincoln beat Macclesfield Town 2–1 on aggregate over two legs but lost in the final against Southend United 2–0 after extra time.

In the 2005–06 season finished 7th in League 2 after only losing 3 games since the new year. Lincoln were to face local neighbours Grimsby Town in the play-offs, a side they had beaten 5–0 at Sincil Bank earlier in the season. However, once again it was not to be, as Lincoln lost 3–1 on aggregate to become the first team ever to lose four consecutive play-off competitions.

Keith Alexander left his position as manager of Lincoln City by mutual consent on 24 May 2006 stating that he could take the club no further, and shortly after on 15 June John Schofield was appointed his successor. For the fifth year in a row, under a different manager, however, Lincoln City reached the League Two play-offs after finishing 5th in the league (the highest position that they have qualified for the play-offs in). Once again, however, they lost, this time to Bristol Rovers in the semi-finals courtesy of a 2–1 defeat away and a 3–5 defeat at home. The failure to succeed in five successive Play-off competitions is a record for any club.

After a run of nine losses and a draw in the final ten games, Lincoln City were relegated from League Two on the last day of the end of the 2010–2011 season, finishing in 23rd Place.

Following relegation to the Conference Premier, Tilson released all but three members of the squad, telling them they had no future at Sincil Bank. By early October, Lincoln were one point above the relegation zone and the management were coming under fire after a run of one win in four; Tilson was sacked as manager on 10 October 2011 and Grant Brown was put in temporary charge.

Brown remained in charge for four games, winning the first but none of the subsequent three, before former Mansfield Town manager David Holdsworth was confirmed as manager. Holdsworth managed the Imps to safety but only by 8 points.

On 17 February 2013, David Holdsworth left the club by mutual consent following twelve games without a win. On 27 February 2013, Gary Simpson, a former assistant of Keith Alexander during his time at the club, was appointed manager until the end of the season. Safety was secured on the final day with an away win against Hyde.

After a good start to the 2013–14 season, Lincoln went on a run of just two wins in seventeen games, which saw the Imps embroiled in relegation trouble once more. From the start of February to the end of the season, Lincoln lost just three games, and finished 14th in the league, their best placing since relegation.

Gary Simpson was placed on gardening leave on 3 November 2014. Assistant manager Chris Moyses was placed in temporary charge and then appointed permanently on 8 December 2014. Lincoln finished 15th that season. 2015–16 would prove to be largely a season of mid-table stability, eventually culminating in a 13th-place finish. Just before the season ended, Moyses announced that he would leave the club in order to focus on his business interests outside of football, and was subsequently replaced by Braintree Town manager Danny Cowley.

City started the 2016–17 season with mixed form, winning two and losing two of their opening four games. This was followed by a run of victories that resulted in the Imps sitting top of the table after a victory at Tranmere. The good form continued into the New Year as the Imps gradually started to pull clear of the group. Despite a bit of a dip of form in March, Cowley would go on to lead the Imps to a National League title and a return to League Two for the first time since their relegation six years earlier.

In the 2016–17 FA Cup, Lincoln beat Championship side Ipswich Town, in a replay, before defeating Championship leaders Brighton and Hove Albion at Sincil Bank to make the fifth round of the FA cup for the first time since the end of the Victorian era. On 18 February, Lincoln went on to beat top flight side Burnley 1–0 to historically go through to the FA Cup quarter final, the first time a non-league club had progressed to the last eight since 1914. In the quarter finals, they were defeated 5–0 at Arsenal.

In the 2017–18 season, on 6 February 2018, Lincoln beat Chelsea U21s in the semi-final of the 2017–18 EFL Trophy, taking them to Wembley Stadium for the first time in the 134 years of the club. They went on to win the final against Shrewsbury Town on 8 April 2018. They also qualified for the semi-finals of the League 2 playoffs, but were knocked out by Exeter over the two legs.

Lincoln won League Two, on 22 April 2019, after a 0–0 draw against Tranmere Rovers, having been top of the table since 25 August 2018.

The Manager – Michael Appleton

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches, currently in 3rd place with 45 points

1 Jan Wycombe 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

4 Jan Ipswich Town pp. Fleetwood

11 Jan Ipswich Town 4 - 1 Accrington

14 Jan Oxford Utd 0 - 0 Ipswich Town

18 Jan Tranmere 1 - 2 Ipswich Town

Lincoln City Last 5 Matches, currently in 12th place with 37 points

1 Jan Lincoln City 2 - 1 Peterborough

4 Jan Sunderland 3 - 1 Lincoln City

11 Jan Shrewsbury 1 - 1 Lincoln City

14 Jan Lincoln City 5 - 1 Bolton

18 Jan Lincoln City 1 - 0 Blackpool

Marko's Caption Contest – THE DON CUP

Checked back through the archives and it was early March that Nicscreamer had a 10 point lead but was caught. Rules were different and I am wondering myself if AylesburyBlue can be caught? It'll be tough and they'll need to be darn funny because he's certainly killing it at the moment. Sincere apologies to AylesburyBlue's dad but this weeks 5 points has gone to a serious candidate for "Caption of the Year". Straight 5's from judges. :lol: Very amusing indeed.
But come on, keep it going guys, the actual laughs are more important than the rewards.
And I think Frosty should choose the photo again......., much better at it.

TRANMERE SCORES:

AylesburyBlue (cap 2) 5pts
Bluemike 4pts
Ando (Cap 1), Blueblood & DerickIpsw (Cap 2) 3pts
AylesburyBlue (Cap 1) & Shed on Tour 2pts

LEAGUE TABLE

AylesburyBlue 81
DerickIpsw 68
Bluemike 65
Blueblood 46
Ando 40
Blue Wilf 38
Number 9 35
Shed on Tour 33
JohnnyB 24
Tangfastic 19
Quasar 18
Frosty 17
Kerry Blue 11
Watership Down 10
Barmy Billy 8
AshfordBlue 6
Todd66 6
IpswichTownNO1 5
Nicscreamer 5
Charnwood 4
Lucy 1
MasseyFerguson 1

Here, try this :

Match referee – Lee Swabey

IPSWICH TOWN 1 LINCOLN CITY 0

Frosty
Forum Owner

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:05 am

Lets just share a thought this week for Bluemike who lost his Dad and Aylseburyblue who lost his Grandad yesterday.

Thoughts are with your families.

Dave

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:03 am

Sincere condolences, Mike to both yourself and AylesburyBlue. Like you say in your closing paragraph; it really is only a game and not high on the list of what really is important in our lives. In all our thoughts today.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:44 am

So sorry to hear of your loss, Mike. My thoughts are with you and Aylesbury.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:51 am

marko69 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:03 am
Sincere condolences, Mike to both yourself and AylesburyBlue. Like you say in your closing paragraph; it really is only a game and not high on the list of what really is important in our lives. In all our thoughts today.
I will second these words.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:06 am

All the best, Mike, to you and your family.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:52 am

Michael Appleton caption:

Velma: You’re not the stinkin’ Lincoln phantom. You’re......., Michael Appleton!
GASP!
Michael Appleton: Gosh darn it. And i’d have gotten away with it if it wasn’t for you pesky kids.
Shaggy: Come on Scoob, let’s roll a fat one.
Fred: And let’s go roll around in the van, Daphne.

Ref caption:
Player: REF? For Gods sake man. The crowd are shouting “you’re sh*t”. Why did you go and do THAT?”

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:24 pm

Mike
Condolences to AylesburyBlue and yourself.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:49 pm

Cheers guys, its very kind of you all, the best tonic will be a win on Saturday......

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:47 pm

Caption 1. Lincoln sign 3 players from Hogworts United hoping to inject some magic into the team. :shock:

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:57 pm

Caption: When I said can you sign up the three degrees for the half-time entertainment this is not what I had in mind.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:11 pm

:x :x Its Bloody revenge time boys, Ipswich 5 v Lincoln City 1 give them a bloody good slapping COYB

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:04 pm

Caption 1: Lincoln celebrate 3 of their players learning how to tie shoe laces. Well done lads.

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:35 pm

Sincere condolences Mike and Aylesbury.
COYB.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:53 pm

RRanger wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:35 pm
Sincere condolences Mike and Aylesbury.
COYB.
Also from me, many years ago I lost my dad on my birthday. RIP.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:10 pm

Deepest sympathies Mike to you & your family.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:33 pm

Firstly, condolences Mike and Aylesbury. And like to say how impressive it is to see so much empathy and kindness. This is a proper nice forum.

Think Town will win this one, grinding out a one or two nil win.

Caption: despite silly hats, the finest minds of Lincolnshire cannot come up with anything that the region is famous for apart from sausages

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:34 pm

P
Last edited by JohnnyB on Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:25 pm

I think we are all expecting a win. I guess we will be up against a solid defence. I'm confident we will win after recent performances. An early goal and we could take them apart.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:51 pm

Caption comp: Here is your starter for 10 Which Suffolk club also has a co-op stand? AylesburyBlue Pictured centre replies ALL of them there is never a seat at the checkouts. Correct for 10 points.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:31 am

Caption 1: Magnus Magnusson’s grandsons sign for Lincoln after stating, “It’s not rocket science! The team already beat Ipswich 5-3!”

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:29 am

Caption 2. Frosty assembles the best brains from Lincolnshire to help with the upgrade of TB.com. This explains why its not fixed yet!! :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:14 am

Caption:

Lincoln No1, chronic public “ball shuffler”, told to keep his hands away..... at least until the photograph has been taken.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:31 am

CAPTION....."It used to be known as Spot the Ball, Lincoln relaunch it as Spot the c*ck, 6 chances to win just put your X's where you think the c*cks are"

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:23 pm

3-0 Town for me. Sorry to hear your news Mike. Lets hope we can win this one and keep the run going! COYB's 👍

Ando

Post by Ando » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:19 am

Home win for me 2-1 would be great.

Caption 1 “ what the f*ck are you smiling at, had you played for Hibs your education would have been free”:

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:27 am

Caption:

"Lincoln City players model the latest in safety head gear in an attempt to reduce concussion injuries"

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:21 am

Very sorry Mike, A year has just passed since we lost my dad.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:23 am

Feeling more confident now home win for me.
Do we think Teddy will start ?

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:01 am

Caption 2: Lincoln stun the football world as they sign the 3 wise men in the January transfer window.