Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

More points?

Ipswich Win
82%
Lincoln Win
12%
Draw
6%

Total votes: 17

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:11 pm

I thought that was a thoroughly professional performance from Town today, no thrills and spills just a solid workmanlike TEAM performance, as has been said we pretty much controlled it from start to finish, some of the Football in the first half was really good and easy on the eye too. The work rate was top notch, we defended really well throughout, ran the Midfield, got good width, passed it with aplomb and created Two or Three good openings against a team that have caused us problems in the past and who are no mugs by any stretch.

I think the first half showing merited us going in a couple of goals ahead but they were stubborn for sure and we found it hard to break them down in the final third, Keane had a fab chance after bursting through following good work by Judge but put it just wide, that was the closest we had come up to that point. I liked a lot of what I saw from Gwion Edwards today, he saw plenty of the ball, got some good delivery into the box, got his head down and actually ran at people (beating them too on several occasions), but what impressed me most about him was his covering in defence, on at least two occasions they looked to be breaking away and it was he who had either spotted the danger and came inside to cover or had tracked back when others were caught upfield, was so pleased to see it and he is definitely improving as a RWB.

Emyr Huws again caught my eye with an inspired opening Forty Five and he is now looking like the player we all knew he was, too good for this level when on song for sure, Downes too was going into some crunching tackles and winning pretty much all of them, he sure as hell doesn't shirk a tackle, at the back the Three CB's were very solid while also getting forward as has been the way of late to supplement the strikers.

The goal when it did come could not have come at a better time, just on the stroke of half time and no doubt not only changed Lambert's team talk but also the way we approached the second half. There was me about to bemoan Garbutt over hitting the freekick only to see Woolfy rise at the far post to crash his header home, it seemed to take an age to go in but in it went. We even had time to nearly grab a second before the break but Judge's shot was deflected wide. It really had been a very impressive Forty five minutes of Football from Town but still it was only a precarious One goal lead.

The second half didn't quite live up to the first in terms of fluency and control but it was still pretty decent from Town, if anyone looked like scoring it was us although they still posed a threat on the break. In fact Garbutt nearly did just that with a decent effort from distance needing Vickers to pull off a decent save but Town were looking hungry for the second goal. Minutes later we came even closer to wrapping it up as James Wilson rose above everyone at the back post to get his head to a good cross, unfortunately he just guided it wide when he should really have rippled the net. Lincoln's only real threat on our goal required Wilson to sprint across the field to pull off a super block on the breaking forward.

As Tang has already said we look a real team again and are playing some good stuff, if we really really click we will hammer someone soon, the brand of Football is so pleasing on the eye too, the move which led to Keane just putting his effort wide in the first half must have easily been around Forty passes without them getting near the ball, it was that good, had it gone in it would have been a brilliant team goal. We've put ourselves back in prime position and it is very much in our hands, I would not swap our squad for anyone else's at the moment, we have always easily been the strongest squad in this division, does anyone still want to argue that point ? We are now getting back to showing it. Rotherham here we come, I really can't wait.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:41 pm

Caption 2: Lincoln keeper had either made the most of a rolled up sock or he’s particularly happy with how he looks in his hat

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:56 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:29 pm
Pretty much agree with everything said so far. We looked very assured first half, and controlled it second half despite a slow 10 mins where we slowed down a bit. Woolfie is my stand out player at the moment. What a total player he really is, we won’t keep him past this season, but I am pleased to have watched him mature this year. Amazed Keane missed the shot in the first half. It must have been inches wide. Deserved more, but will take 1 - 0 and top of the league.
If we happen to get promoted back to the championship we will need the likes of Woolfie and Downes, I cant see us just relying on Chambers as the main CH, nope them two aint going Nowhere if we are to build for the future these boys along with Huws, Bishop, Lankester, Garbutt, KVY, Judge, if we do a selling job we will be F****D big time, its about time we held onto our stars FACT

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:03 am

We won’t keep star players when the prem clubs come knocking... fact

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:15 am

nicscreamer wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:03 am
We won’t keep star players when the prem clubs come knocking... fact
True but I think only Woolfenden, maybe Downes and possibly Dozzell are potential premier league. For me Huws, KVY, Bish, Lankester and Garbett are definitely championship quality with maybes being Norris, Edwards and Keane. The others are probably league one.

If prems do show interest, I agree they will go, and you can’t blame anyone for it. But Town need to get decent money for them.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:34 am

Always amazes me how us fans seem to see games differently.
Had a look on a couple of the Lincoln forums and some of their fans were questioning how the hell are we top of the league and it shows how poor the teams in it are. Another said he actually felt sorry for us Town fans having to watch that every week. They were also very critical of their own team performance.
For once I actually agreed with Lamberts after match comments and thought it was one of our better performances this season. Yes maybe we could have been a bit more ruthless and could have created more chances with the amount of possession we had but except for a brief spell in the 2nd half we didn’t give the ball away needlessly like we were when going through our lean spell.
A quick mention about Will Keane. I have been one of his biggest critics but thought that he put in by far his best performance in a Town shirt yesterday. If he keeps that level up then I think Norwood will be keeping the bench warm for quite a while yet.
Feels good to be back on top of the league but as I said to Mike at half-time yesterday come May is when it matters. We both agreed we would take 2nd place right now.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:08 am

I must have seen the same comments from Lincoln fans, not sure if they were watching the same game! I can only assume being brought up on lower league football they are not use to “technical football”. We just have better players all over the pitch than most and when they perform it shows. If the players continue to play well as a team then we do have a great chance of promotion.

One observation i do have is that when we break we could create more shots from these positions. It’s not a knock just something I noticed yesterday.

Mick Mills said on the radio after the game he would take 3 draws from the next 3 games. Not sure about that one.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:43 am

If we can beat Posh at home I would deffo take draws at Rotherham & Sunderland to be honest.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:43 am

Ando wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:08 am
I must have seen the same comments from Lincoln fans, not sure if they were watching the same game! I can only assume being brought up on lower league football they are not use to “technical football”. We just have better players all over the pitch than most and when they perform it shows. If the players continue to play well as a team then we do have a great chance of promotion.

One observation i do have is that when we break we could create more shots from these positions. It’s not a knock just something I noticed yesterday.

Mick Mills said on the radio after the game he would take 3 draws from the next 3 games. Not sure about that one.
He then went on to say he would prefer us to get 3 draws (3 points) rather than 1 win, 1 draw, 1 loss ( 4 points). I always thought points win prizes and although if we lose one of those 3 games it means that one of our rivals gain 3 points on us I would sooner have the extra point in the bag.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:47 am

Let's not beat about the bush here, Mills has always been a know it all c*ck.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:57 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:47 am
Let's not beat about the bush here, Mills has always been a know it all c*ck.
Must admit some of his comments make me shake my head at times. Think you can see why his managerial career was limited. Like many successful players when they step into management it is a whole new ball game.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:55 pm

Really enjoyed the match, particularly the first half. We eased off a bit second half and for a while we seemed to lose our composure. But overall a good performance, some neat football and a deserved win.

We dominated possession, and despite our reluctance to shoot on occasions, we still managed 13 shots ( 4 on target) to Lincoln's 5 (1 on target).

We still seem to lack a bit of a goal threat, but was so pleased with Keane's performance. We know he has a good first touch, but yesterday he was challenging strongly, putting defenders under pressure, running with the ball - the first time I've seen him look like a complete striker. Not sure that he and Jackson combine as well as Norwood and Jackson, but yesterday Keane looked like a class act.

It was also good to see us committing far fewer fouls. I know I'm always going on about it but defensive fouls create opportunities for the opposition to score and when the strikers foul it just concedes possession.

I too am puzzled by the comments of Lincoln fans. We were the better side. The only times we looked vulnerable were on a few quick counter-attacks, always a danger when you push forward as we have started to do. But the defence coped with those superbly, as those potentially dangerous situations were snuffed out with some great tackling and blocks.

The next 3 games are season-defining. If we come out of those without defeat, preferably with at least one win, I'll start to believe that promotion is a real possibility. Until then I'm not getting carried away, but happy that we seem to have strung some good performances together.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:01 pm

Andym wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:55 pm
Really enjoyed the match, particularly the first half. We eased off a bit second half and for a while we seemed to lose our composure. But overall a good performance, some neat football and a deserved win.

We dominated possession, and despite our reluctance to shoot on occasions, we still managed 13 shots ( 4 on target) to Lincoln's 5 (1 on target).

We still seem to lack a bit of a goal threat, but was so pleased with Keane's performance. We know he has a good first touch, but yesterday he was challenging strongly, putting defenders under pressure, running with the ball - the first time I've seen him look like a complete striker. Not sure that he and Jackson combine as well as Norwood and Jackson, but yesterday Keane looked like a class act.

It was also good to see us committing far fewer fouls. I know I'm always going on about it but defensive fouls create opportunities for the opposition to score and when the strikers foul it just concedes possession.

I too am puzzled by the comments of Lincoln fans. We were the better side. The only times we looked vulnerable were on a few quick counter-attacks, always a danger when you push forward as we have started to do. But the defence coped with those superbly, as those potentially dangerous situations were snuffed out with some great tackling and blocks.

The next 3 games are season-defining. If we come out of those without defeat, preferably with at least one win, I'll start to believe that promotion is a real possibility. Until then I'm not getting carried away, but happy that we seem to have strung some good performances together.
That piece I've highlighted is spot on, Jackson is a different player alongside Norwood for sure. looks less effective with Keane up front but still has a fantastic workrate.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:32 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:43 am
Ando wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:08 am

He then went on to say he would prefer us to get 3 draws (3 points) rather than 1 win, 1 draw, 1 loss ( 4 points). I always thought points win prizes and although if we lose one of those 3 games it means that one of our rivals gain 3 points on us I would sooner have the extra point in the bag.
Yep, bloody fool. I would definitely take 5 points. But we are playing well and teams will be mindful of that.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:05 pm

I wonder if Mills was trying to say, take a point (in good old McCarthy fashion), but don’t lose these next 3-4 games!

verulam

Post by verulam » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:23 pm

Also just had a look at the Lincoln fans' website and was particularly taken with the guy who said that the bit he really enjoyed was when we replaced a Judge with a Bishop. Sad person that I am I then wondered if I could put a team together of ex Town players with names that also indicated a job / profession. With the help of my trusty Essential History of Ipswich Town I came up with this:

Clive Baker in goal.
Defender: Terry Butcher
Midfield: Judge, Bishop, Adam Tanner
Up front: Johnny Miller, Gerry Baker and Ian Marshall
That leaves 3 positions to fill and we have them but as these three go back years I don't know where they played!
David Deacon, Allenby Driver and Fred barber.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:21 pm

Lincoln manager comes across as a bit of pr*ck to me , or an extreme case of sour grapes having lost .

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/lincoln-bo ... -1-6483748

If we “huffed and puffed and lack quality “, all I shall say is Town top of league on 47 points vs Lincoln 12th on 37 points ( and having played a game more).

Who’s huffing n puffing now ya tw*t!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:24 pm

verulam wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:23 pm
Also just had a look at the Lincoln fans' website and was particularly taken with the guy who said that the bit he really enjoyed was when we replaced a Judge with a Bishop. Sad person that I am I then wondered if I could put a team together of ex Town players with names that also indicated a job / profession. With the help of my trusty Essential History of Ipswich Town I came up with this:

Clive Baker in goal.
That leaves 3 positions to fill and we have them but as these three go back years I don't know where they played!
Paul Mariner ( Abel Seaman)
Paul Cooper ( repairs casks / barrels)

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:28 pm

verulam wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:23 pm

Clive Baker in goal.
I reckon being a mariner is a profession. He’d improve the team too

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:31 pm

You could have Paul Cooper in goal too

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:43 pm

Hallam you beat me to it

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:45 pm

So to make a decent add: Kieron Dyer

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:49 pm

If I didn’t have Abel Seaman, I’d have a helluva lot more money today.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:53 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:31 pm
You could have Paul Cooper in goal too
Beatcha :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:55 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:43 pm
Hallam you beat me to it
I know .... can’t believe no one else though of him . Lol

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:56 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:49 pm
If I didn’t have Abel Seaman, I’d have a helluva lot more money today.
Lol trust you !! .....(not as far as I could sling ya I reckon )

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:10 pm

Tommy Smith

Grant Leadbeater

And as GK cover for Baker and Cooper in goal - little Laurie Sivell (servant).