JAN WINDOW (Transfer news)

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Re: JAN WINDOW (Transfer news)

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:24 pm

Supposedly signing in loan until end of the season, according to one poster on TWTD?..player was in the stands watching today’s game.

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/teams/ ... ow-tracey/

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:16 pm

I would be amazed if we bring in another Striker TBH but let's wait and see.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:29 pm

Yes I agree , can’t see the point of it.

Out of interest , do you feel we need to bring anyone in ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:33 pm

No I dont tbh, I did feel RB was weak but Edwards impressed me today and is getting better

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:18 am

Seems A strange one to me

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:53 am

Maybe this one is looking ahead to next season.......

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:18 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:53 am
Maybe this one is looking ahead to next season.......
I think strikers is a weak area for the club - for the championship. The attacking players are doing ok league 1 but there’s got to be doubts for the league above. Jackson found the league tough last year, Sears’s form is erratic and he’s getting on, Norwood’s suitability is unknown and Keane is maybe looking like the best bet, but only on recent form.

So getting this guy in on loan and possibly securing a deal for next year might make sense - if he’s any good!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:58 pm

Blackpool are reported to be keen on a move for Blues midfielder Jon Nolan.

According to The Sun on Sunday, the Tangerines, who are 15th in League One, are willing to pay a significant sum for the 27-year-old as they look to add creativity to their side as they attempt to ignite a promotion push in the second half of the season.

Nolan hasn’t featured for Town since the 0-0 Boxing Day draw with Gillingham, however, it would be a surprise if manager Paul Lambert were to be willing to allow the former Shrews man to leave, particularly having let fringe midfielder Idris El Mizouni join Cambridge on loan.

Liverpudlian Nolan is contracted to the Blues until the summer of 2021 with the club having an option for a further year. The January transfer window closes at 11pm on Friday evening.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:03 pm

I think if Nolan leaves , Town need to be really sure they can hold onto their current better midfielders, because if they don’t, they will need Nolan IMHO.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:24 pm

Significant sum could mean anything.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:34 pm

I don’t particularly rate Bart all that much but once again this Club literally “ gives away” their players . Millwall have paid a figure “ similar to the £900k previously agreed”.

I’d still say this I’d too low in today’s market. But that’s Town through and through isn’t it

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:45 pm

This suggests similar to Liz, maybe not too bad considering we’ve dumped his salary costs too.

The Pole, a three-time Ipswich player-of-the-year, moved to the Championship club in the summer and has become a key figure at The Den, firstly under Neil Harris and subsequently under the management of Gary Rowett.

Millwall were close to signing the Poland international in the summer for a fee of £900,000 but that deal broke down after the Lions expressed concerns regarding an historic knee injury which had shown up in the 32-year-old's medical.

But a permanent deal has now been agreed, with the fee understood to be a similar deal to the one originally discussed in the summer, with a significant proportion coming as an up-front fee and the rest related to appearance milestones.

Personal terms have already been agreed, with Bialkowski regular stating a desire to make the move permanent, with official confirmation expected soon.

Ando

Post by Ando » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:11 pm

If we took him back we would have to pay him and he was a top earner. For his age and because we can’t really afford to keep him, unfortunately the price looks about right to me.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:14 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:03 pm
I think if Nolan leaves , Town need to be really sure they can hold onto their current better midfielders, because if they don’t, they will need Nolan IMHO.
Blackpool have signed a Leicester player on loan so that looks like they won't be signing Nolan.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:52 pm

If we get 900k for Bart - that’s great. After last season, his stock has fallen, so 900k’s good money for a 33 year old... and he’s a top-earner of the wage bill.
Evans did suggest in his last statement that Norris (along with Garbutt) is a loanee where we have an eye to taking him on permanently. I do wonder if we’ll go in for Norris as Lambo seems to rate him very highly.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:59 pm

900k for a crap keeper is good business

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:08 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:52 pm
If we get 900k for Bart - that’s great. After last season, his stock has fallen, so 900k’s good money for a 33 year old... and he’s a top-earner of the wage bill.
Evans did suggest in his last statement that Norris (along with Garbutt) is a loanee where we have an eye to taking him on permanently. I do wonder if we’ll go in for Norris as Lambo seems to rate him very highly.
If Norris actually becomes our player, I would be happier with him being played! While he is a loanee, it seems silly to play him in lieu of Holy. I think both are pretty much the same standard

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:19 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:59 pm
900k for a crap keeper is good business

Problem is other Clubs always seem to command top dollar for their crap players....especially when they join Ipswich Town!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:34 pm

I think Lambert’s been pretty shrewd so far with signings, so hopefully that’s an area we’re improving upon.

Under Hurst, Bart got a new improved contract, which backfired as his form nose-dived. We’d have been better off selling him then at 3 million, but that’s hindsight. In the same way, we’d have been better selling Didsy for 7 million. Hindsight again - but other clubs seem to have faired better than us in the transfer market. I’ve got no problem us being a selling club as long as we’re a buying club,too, who reinvests shrewdly.

I think the Bart departure is best for all parties. I can’t see any other club wanting to pay more so makes sense. I do wonder if that opens up the possibility of bringing someone in, although we might be better off trimming the squad down further rather than adding to an already bloated squad.

In the summer after we’ve been promoted ( :D ), maybe that’s when we need to the wheeling and dealing.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:07 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:34 pm
I think Lambert’s been pretty shrewd so far with signings, so hopefully that’s an area we’re improving upon.

Under Hurst, Bart got a new improved contract, which backfired as his form nose-dived. We’d have been better off selling him then at 3 million, but that’s hindsight. In the same way, we’d have been better selling Didsy for 7 million. Hindsight again - but other clubs seem to have faired better than us in the transfer market. I’ve got no problem us being a selling club as long as we’re a buying club,too, who reinvests shrewdly.

I think the Bart departure is best for all parties. I can’t see any other club wanting to pay more so makes sense. I do wonder if that opens up the possibility of bringing someone in, although we might be better off trimming the squad down further rather than adding to an already bloated squad.

In the summer after we’ve been promoted ( :D ), maybe that’s when we need to the wheeling and dealing.
Agree with Tang that this isn't the time for adding permanent members to the squad. Given that the owner is £9m out of pocket I would not blame him for trousering the £1m annual salary that will be saved by selling Bart.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:57 pm

Norris to stay now until the end of the season with possible interest from Town to make it permanent if we get promoted.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... -1-6488190

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:09 pm

He certainly made a few crucial stops last night. Looked very good in the highlights clips. This'll be good news to the majority, yes?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:07 pm

I’ve softened my stance towards Norris. He had a dodgy spell, but looks pretty solid now. Not much between Holy and Norris. I feel for Holy, but obviously Lambo doesn’t rate him.
I wouldn’t have a problem with Norris signing permanently, but I’d rather we spent serious money on a quality outfield player.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:06 pm

There was a goal earlier in the season and I just cannot remember who the opposition were......, but in those highlights, Holy was beaten, right hand side of goal, (his right hand side) and it was due to him being incredibly slow to get down to the shot. And the shot wasn't a blistering shot by any means. I remember thinking, "Hmmm, is this guy any good?"

Not saying he's not any good......., but maybe Lambert sees a more laboured Tomas Holy in training. Maybe near the end of sessions when he's tiring. Didn't really buy into this "Wolves want Norris playing" theory. Just sounded like utter BS. (Could still be true though; who knows)

Just delighted to see Norris getting over that dodgy spell and playing well at a more difficult venue.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:59 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:06 pm
There was a goal earlier in the season and I just cannot remember who the opposition were......, but in those highlights, Holy was beaten, right hand side of goal, (his right hand side) and it was due to him being incredibly slow to get down to the shot. And the shot wasn't a blistering shot by any means. I remember thinking, "Hmmm, is this guy any good?"

Not saying he's not any good......., but maybe Lambert sees a more laboured Tomas Holy in training. Maybe near the end of sessions when he's tiring. Didn't really buy into this "Wolves want Norris playing" theory. Just sounded like utter BS. (Could still be true though; who knows)

Just delighted to see Norris getting over that dodgy spell and playing well at a more difficult venue.
Now if we can just get him scoring a few goals as well, we’ll be alright! :D

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:17 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:07 pm
I’ve softened my stance towards Norris. He had a dodgy spell, but looks pretty solid now. Not much between Holy and Norris. I feel for Holy, but obviously Lambo doesn’t rate him.
I wouldn’t have a problem with Norris signing permanently, but I’d rather we spent serious money on a quality outfield player.
I’m of the view that any player that manages to get a decent run of games in a team, will, if they are any good, come int form. It’s very difficult to suddenly “ show” in a game, when you get just a few minutes . I always felt sorry for Dean Gerkin, who rarely got a look in whilst the prima dona Bart was here. In the end he had to move on to get regular game time.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:21 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:07 pm
It is certainly a confusing one regarding Holy isn’t it? I don’t understand why he’s not been given a run of games. He must wonder why he signed on the dotted line for us tbh.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:40 pm

Be honest though, Dean Gerkin wasn't that great was he? Bit of a liability. Scared to come for crosses and when he did, usually made a "Forum word: ban worthy" c*nt of it.

No pickle jokes.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:44 pm

We started the season15 games unbeaten with Holy in goal for all of them, if we want to be picky he may or may not have made a single error this season, Norris is not our keeper and probably never will be, he has also made several costly errors which would have seen us top of the league, yes he's improved but he bloody well needed to, wrong man in goal all day long for me.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:58 pm

From my perspective I don't see us creating a lot of chances at the moment, looking at the shots on goal and attempted shots it doesn't make a hill of beans. If you can't score you will not win games. You cannot defend for 90 minutes and hope to score on a breakaway or a single chance. We are more likely to concede a goal rather than score one. We need to create chances and have a forward who can convert them.