Rotherham United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Massive Fixture?

Rotherham Win
27%
Ipswich Win
33%
Draw
40%

Total votes: 15

Mach_Polish_Blue

Re: Rotherham United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:29 am

Back from Rotherham and I'm really dumbstruck with the performance and Lambert's comments. I'm actually livid following the latter's words.

I'm not a football manager or coach but me and other people could easily see that our tactics were completely wrong. We played a hoofball against a tall, physical side and this is what they wanted as they perfectly dealt with it. Poor Kayden Jackson was forced to chase long, hopeless balls and hardly won a duel against their central backs. He had no service at all from the people that can (are able) to do this job for him. All three Huws, Judge and Edwards were atrocious. Why on earth didn't Bishop get a chance tonight? He had shown some promising signs at Tranmere 10 days ago.

Last minute of the first half where Downes had a run with the ball (ON THE DECK !!!!) and the panic in the Rotherham's defence was visible. Moreover we started playing in the last 8 minutes or so where we were twice close to score (Garbutt's FK and Norwood hitting the post from the angle). There was a movement and effort from us that we lacked in the preceding 80 minutes. Play through Rotherham's defence, play around them and the story of the game could have been and would have been completely different. I expected Lambert to take the responsibility and admitting getting his tactics wrong. His words though really left me flabbergasted:

'there was never any need for me to change anything' - FFS what are you talking about? People saw the tactics were wrong why didn't you?

'I don’t think we did enough to win the game' - we did sod all to win the game. Rotherham had a plethora of shots on and off the target, hit the woodwork twice and the gulf on the pitch was embarrassing at times. The final result is very misleading as it ought to have been a thrashing.

'I wasn’t too disappointed tonight, OK' - Dear me ! Of course you aren't disappointed as you are safe for the next 5 years in regard to your income so you will get away with any bad performance.

That was a mccarthyism tonight, mccarthysim in the 3rd tier. Both Lambert and mccarthy similarly stubborn as managers, similar style of football at times (tonight was a real one), financially safe due to the fat contract. Both of them really tedious and yapping about things from the past not related to our club. Lambert repeating about winning Champions League in Germany whereas mccarthy asked about his opinions before Ipswich - Norwich matches constantly repeated the same thing that the biggest derby he was involved with was Celtic - Rangers. The only missing piece of jigsaw from Lambert is treating our fans with a contempt and insult them like mccarthy did.

Will Norris is the only player that can come out with credit tonight as he saved us from the greater defeat.

That's 6 points for Rotherham against us and they completely outplayed us on both occasions. Rotherham being a better club than us, Millwall coming to pick up one of our best players. What a time to be alive !

Once again we struggle against the top team in this league. I can accept losing but not lack of effort and tactics that are completely wrong. Where do we go from last night? I have no idea as I'm really dazed after this game.

Nearly 1000 Town fans at the game who were tortured by watching a horrible hoofball where Jackson was forced to chase long balls.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:24 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:17 pm
Absolute garbage from start to finish ! If it had been six we couldn't have complained. Tactics completely wrong all game and played to their strengths, just don't get the thinking, we turned up for the last 5 minutes and nearly committed daylight robbery, how that hit the inside of the post and bounced out god only knows. Terrible performance, worst this season.
Totally agree we were crap. And to bring Sears on instead of Bishop who could of ran at them unbelievable. Lambert you got it completely wrong. :x

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:56 am

Just saw some highlights. Wow. That was bad.
Haven’t managed to see Lamberts press words but is he saying he thinks the team played well? Second Wow of the day. Well, the 3rd really..... that Baynes bacon roll I just had was the first Wow.

What is really depressing is there are a few publications saying Rotherham are clicking and looking the real deal but you just know they’ll be basement boys back in the Championship. Football in a sad state of affairs. The Premiership is so SO far away that I genuinely don’t think I’ll see it again in my life time, however long that may be.

Stuff it. I’m off for another bacon roll.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:44 am

After that first half, I still can’t believe Lambert didn’t change things at HT. He didn’t make a change until the 67th minute. Norwood for Keane makes sense and probably should have happened at HT. I can’t believe he didn’t bring on Bishop. He’s the most likely player we’ve got who can break a tackle and burst forward. As Mach says, when Downes burst through just before HT, Rotherham looked jittery for once and were forced to foul him.

Rotherham must have got such a boost to see us playing into their hands from the start.It was too easy. Any other team watching that will just repeat Rotherham’s tactics of the high press.

Of the nine highest placed teams, we haven’t beaten one of them. That’s pretty amazing after 28 games. Peterborough and Sunderland next. Can’t say I’m confident, but we’ve got to start beating these top sides if we want to still consider promotion.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:05 pm

:roll: You watch this Saturday against an inform Peterborough, it will be the same old hoof ball, FFS Lambert cant you instil in the team keep the f*****g ball on the deck, play attractive football and you will win more game that you lose, I'll go with Mach's comments that Lambert must be really f*****g thick to see that his tactics were all wrong. Plus his inept attitude on the performance.
The better controlled footballing team will always triumph against Hoof ball Teams, I certainly hope we haven't got 5 years of this crap performances.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:23 pm

What do you mean "same old" hoofball ? It was last night yes but not the previous few games, we all admit we are baffled by last night but it hasn't been that way in recent games.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:25 pm

"The best laid plans never survive contact with the enemy".

However, sounds like it would have been good if plans could have changed after that first contact. Rotherham are a good side, and we obviously didn't play well. There's a way to go in the race yet, and we are there or there abouts still, despite our poor form against the top teams.
Lets hold our nerve and keep supporting the guys. We had a few good games before this poor performance. Keep the faith, and remember its only a game! No need to throw flares at anyones house :-)

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:25 pm

Tbh I was expecting us to do better seeing what is at stake, from the team and the manager, PL is a nice guy but he is stubborn and lacking in certain areas, you can fill in the gaps.

It is still tight at the top so all to play for so no panic yet, we just need to show up for next two games or we will be slowly be dropping places.

Still cant see why he was given a new contact this early on, he has done nothing to warrant it expect bring in the crowds, dancing girls could do that and probably manage the team a lot better lol.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:30 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:56 am
Just saw some highlights. Wow. That was bad.
Haven’t managed to see Lamberts press words but is he saying he thinks the team played well? Second Wow of the day. Well, the 3rd really..... that Baynes bacon roll I just had was the first Wow.

What is really depressing is there are a few publications saying Rotherham are clicking and looking the real deal but you just know they’ll be basement boys back in the Championship. Football in a sad state of affairs. The Premiership is so SO far away that I genuinely don’t think I’ll see it again in my life time, however long that may be.

Stuff it. I’m off for another bacon roll.
Marko I wouldn’t worry munchkin, the Premiership won’t last the course anyway.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:36 pm

We are still very inconsistent, even with a settled team. There are no excuses for player's unfamiliarity due to Lambo's rotation system. It's just baffling how our team performances are night and day...in a matter of days. This should have been a battle for top of the league, instead we've embarrassed ourselves once again. If we can't step up to the big games now, how will we perform in a play off match? Sorry to say, I wouldn't be betting on ITFC.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:11 pm

Playoffs? Well I suspect we’ll do what Town usually does in these types of game.... c*ck it up ....no show....capitulate... we’ve done it for years! I doubt we’ll change our ways now.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:04 pm

I think after the past few match reports prior to Rotherham, Hallamski, last night must've just been a bad night. Like 9 says, good to crap in a matter of day and it being baffling. It is baffling BUT they've clearly shown they're capable. Lambert and the team are still very much capable of automatic promotion from this league, in my honest and humble bullshit opinion.

BUT..... another but........, you may be correct about a capitulation in a Play-Off final. That game could shave a few years of a few fans lives.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:36 pm

Don't we have a 100% win rate in play off finals ?

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:57 pm

It's taking on a surreal feel. One week we play nice football and win comfortably, the next week we are outthought, outfought and the game plan goes out the window.

It's a worry that we don't seem to perform against the better opposition in this crappy league but I still believe we will be in the mix at the end of the season. The team has my support no matter what. Onwards and upwards.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:27 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:36 pm
Don't we have a 100% win rate in play off finals ?

It depends if we look at play off final as the final game at Wembley, or finals in terms of the “play off finals” which I think is what Liz was referring to.

Not sure if it still stands Mike, but last time I looked it up Ipswich Town held the record of losing out at the play off stages more times than any other club in the football league at seven times. We lost in the first year to Charlton, three times in a row between 1997 and 1999 to Charlton again, Sheffield United and Bolton Wanderers, twice on the away goals rule. For the 1999/2000 season David Sheepshanks successfully proposed the abolition of the away goals rule and we went on to win our only final against Barnsley in 2000. In 2004 and 2005 we were back in the play-offs again but lost both times to West Ham in the semi-final stages. Back again in 2015, losing once again in the semi final stages to you know who.

The play offs have rarely been kind to us and I really don’t relish going down that route again given present company in the Top 6, none of whom I’d feel confident playing against in a two leg play off situation.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:48 pm

I thought Liz was referring to actual finals, thankfully we wont need to worry about play offs.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:44 am

No I was referring to almost annual participation in the play offs under (Joe Royal?), And then Burley, whereby we always lost out to teams that finished (in some cases) several points below us in the league, and we never made the final.

I’m sure we did this on something like 4 separate occasions before we finally made that 2000 play off final vs Barnsley.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:23 pm

Top Two it is then 👍

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:52 pm

...has to be dunnit ! :D

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:57 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:44 am
No I was referring to almost annual participation in the play offs under (Joe Royal?), And then Burley, whereby we always lost out to teams that finished (in some cases) several points below us in the league, and we never made the final.

I’m sure we did this on something like 4 separate occasions before we finally made that 2000 play off final vs Barnsley.

As I said in my previous post Liz, we did it in 1987 (the first play off season), and then 3 seasons in a row, 1997, 1998 and 1999 before success in 2000. We’ve been in the play offs 3 times since in 2004, 2005 and 2015 losing in the semi’s each time. Our record is shocking.

For me it has to be automatic promotion or it won’t happen.