Ipswich Town vs Peterborough United Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

3rd plays 4th

Town Win
29%
Posh Win
33%
Draw
38%

Total votes: 21

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Peterborough United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:42 pm

Well I left after 65 mins, first time ever, absolutely abject sh*te, take back everything positive I said in recent months, we are cack. I've got a night out tonight so fcuk football.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:43 pm

GD now gone too. WTF is going on with this team. Can we play the rest of our home games at Playford Road please

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:44 pm

Thank the lord i've been to ill to go. Had a ticket for the game but gave it to my brother so he could go with his boy for first game. :roll:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:50 pm

I was spitting feathers earlier when iFollow wouldn’t let me buy a pass for today’s game. 6€ saved and f*ck if I’ll bother to try again I’m so fed up with Paul Lambert and his shocking lack of ability to get the best out of his players.

I may as well pay up the 20€ bet I had with my Sunderland mate that we’d finish the season higher than his mob cos we’ve “lost it”.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:52 pm

5 points for me with Norwood scoring

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:52 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:42 pm
Well I left after 65 mins, first time ever, absolutely abject sh*te, take back everything positive I said in recent months, we are cack. I've got a night out tonight so fcuk football.
Enjoy your night out, you deserve it after today’s performance.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:55 pm

0-4! Seriously, i am so glad i work Saturdays nowadays! Though these sort of results don't make for a great mood for the rest of the day (and that is without having to watch it).

Was going to have a good old moan, but do you know what? Having started this post i really can't be arsed to waste any more energy on ITFC today. No, instead i am going to watch Ireland v Scotland in the 6 nations - real passion and desire! Some of those lucky enough to wear the ITFC badge could learn from!

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:56 pm

Well on a positive note we only have 2 of the top 6 left to play :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:57 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:52 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Enjoy your night out, you deserve it after today’s performance.
I intend to mate, I'm totally gutted and fed up right now.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:57 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Don’t blame you.

Just make sure you get some bedroom penetration tonight... even if it’s the pillow.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:02 pm

Pillow! Suppose mike would not need hair gel in the morning

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:05 pm

There will be enforced changes next week. Edwards is banned and Garbutt is injured. Let's hope he drops Norris and Keane also he needs to play Bishop.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:13 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:05 pm
There will be enforced changes next week. Edwards is banned and Garbutt is injured. Let's hope he drops Norris and Keane also he needs to play Bishop.

Isn't Bishop also injured?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:13 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:57 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Don’t blame you.

Just make sure you get some bedroom penetration tonight... even if it’s the pillow.
🤣🤣🤣

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:54 pm

f**king hell.... that was awful. But Peterborough have some seriously good strikers! We were so well beaten. We are not going up this year. I am resigned to it now

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:17 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:54 pm
f**king hell.... that was awful. But Peterborough have some seriously good strikers! We were so well beaten. We are not going up this year. I am resigned to it now
Even if we did, how would we fare against championship clubs week in week out? ☹️

Some home truths:

1. We've got a problem playing at home
2. We're fragile and lack resilience and determination
3. We're not one of the best two sides in this division, maybe not even top 6

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:34 pm

I’m completely out of love with Ipswich. I don’t look forward to Saturdays, I don’t care for the players and this league is awful. The club is going through the motions and so am I, I’ll continue going to tick off some grounds but i can’t remeber the last time I looked forward to a game and I can’t see that changing.

One last thing from me..... Lambert Out.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:56 pm

The only good thing to come out of this game was the final result, 8) I predicted 1-4 to posh win placed a bet at 2pm and that's £400 smackaroonies in the back pocket, I thank you. now I also said we are about to go on another bad run of results, and by the end of February we will be in around 10th place, well out of the play offs, and I would have thought that Lambert would have brought in a half decent striker in the window, but no not a chance, so if we end up in the bottom half by March/April, I wouldn't bet on Lambert still being here even though he's got a 5 year deal, that counts for nothing when we keep losing, bring on the Mackems game I'll have another bet whilst my lucks in :mrgreen:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:09 pm

So refreshing to see you so happy at being correct.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:23 pm

Well played lads, keep up the good work, least at this rate we could be best team in League 2 in a season or twos's time lol.

I expected more tbh, surely its time to give Holy a chance after that howler from Dorris, even get some of the younger lads in, least they will give it 100%.

As for PL, you are utter sh1te, please go back wheverer you came from, if we make the playoffs I will be amazed.

Utterly dejected at this moment in time.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:31 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:54 pm
Agree we’re not going up by the sound of it. We had an opportunity to strengthen for a promotion push, but as usual ME dropped the ball. Lack of transfer activity will hurt even more as the injuries begin to pile up. I don’t think you can blame Lambert. He’s doing the best he can with average players. It’s sad to witness what ITFC has become. It is what it is.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:46 pm

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:34 pm
I’m completely out of love with Ipswich. I don’t look forward to Saturdays, I don’t care for the players and this league is awful. The club is going through the motions and so am I, I’ll continue going to tick off some grounds but i can’t remeber the last time I looked forward to a game and I can’t see that changing.

I think you’re on the right track Tom because for me Lambert is the problem. He has a more than half decent squad which for this League looks on paper as good as any other manager has to play with. However he has not a clue how to get the most out of them or how to make tactical changes to improve things mid game, these are two basic necessities to be a successful football manager.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:34 pm

I think the there are few reasons why Town are in this state.

1) the state of football in general - it’s rotten to the core with greed. It’s no longer an even playing field.

3) sky money has ruined the game: see point 1) above .

2) Evans, for all his original intent of buying a Club (and compete with the effects of Sky money), undoubtedly trying to make money out of his business venture in the long run, has caught a very expensive, (£100m+ and counting ), personal cold.

He either can’t, or won’t, now try and compete with Sky money (the real cancer in the game).

Sheepshanks did an outstanding job “ selling”, a debt ridden Club to him in the first place. With out Evans coming in and buying out debt Town would have been “ no more” over 15 years ago. A fact many still can’t seem to grasp. Like him or hate him, he’s ALL this Club has got , and until a billionaire, open cheque book clasping Fairy Godmother comes over the horizon we will have to lump it and get on with our lot, sadly.

If Evans ever decides to wind the Club up ( almost loss making business ventures often are), then maybe those that want him out may regret that shout.

By saying the above points does NOT mean I like or agree with how things have gone under Evans. There was a time when I was very vocal about him getting “out of our Club”. But I’ve reflected on that and seen that it’s what it is , without it would be gone. So until something else comes along I’m trying to live with it . It’s the only way I pests sane.

4) the regulatory bodies that govern our game appear like a limp d*ck. They do little to REALLY enforce sanctions in those Clubs who flout the financial rules. Little wonder many Clubs are willing to risk it all to gain promotion to the Promised Land. But I personally feel once the sh*t hits the fan these clubs will gold like a pack of cards.

I don’t think the current sustainable.

Sorry for long post : I am slightly disillusioned after yet another gutless performance for our highly paid so called professional sportsmen!

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:09 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:34 pm
I think the there are few reasons why Town are in this state.

1) the state of football in general - it’s rotten to the core with greed. It’s no longer an even playing field.

3) sky money has ruined the game: see point 1) above .

2) Evans, for all his original intent of buying a Club (and compete with the effects of Sky money), undoubtedly trying to make money out of his business venture in the long run, has caught a very expensive, (£100m+ and counting ), personal cold.

He either can’t, or won’t, now try and compete with Sky money (the real cancer in the game).

Sheepshanks did an outstanding job “ selling”, a debt ridden Club to him in the first place. With out Evans coming in and buying out debt Town would have been “ no more” over 15 years ago. A fact many still can’t seem to grasp. Like him or hate him, he’s ALL this Club has got , and until a billionaire, open cheque book clasping Fairy Godmother comes over the horizon we will have to lump it and get on with our lot, sadly.

If Evans ever decides to wind the Club up ( almost loss making business ventures often are), then maybe those that want him out may regret that shout.

By saying the above points does NOT mean I like or agree with how things have gone under Evans. There was a time when I was very vocal about him getting “out of our Club”. But I’ve reflected on that and seen that it’s what it is , without it would be gone. So until something else comes along I’m trying to live with it . It’s the only way I pests sane.

4) the regulatory bodies that govern our game appear like a limp d*ck. They do little to REALLY enforce sanctions in those Clubs who flout the financial rules. Little wonder many Clubs are willing to risk it all to gain promotion to the Promised Land. But I personally feel once the sh*t hits the fan these clubs will gold like a pack of cards.

I don’t think the current sustainable.

Sorry for long post : I am slightly disillusioned after yet another gutless performance for our highly paid so called professional sportsmen!
Another Great Post and I Couldn't agree more Hallam, But the tide will turn one day, lets just hope our clubs still exist when it does.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:58 pm

Caught game highlights and while the opposition deserve credit for being a capable side with an impressive run before todays event, I'd rather focus on our own objectives, or lack of. Defense seemed in disarray at times with more holes and openings than a Berlin whorehouse and while Norris may have picked up plaudits along the way during time in goal, today's exhibition was far from stellar.

Our record against promotion rivals and challengers is abysmal. No wins in ten and six points from an available thirty from games with teams within the top eight places of the league structure. We fare better against those in the middle places and lower reaches but get found out time and again by other sides in the top ten and therefore makes automatic promotion a very distant reality.

Beaten by a team like Peterborough who have made a name for themselves by being workmanlike and efficient is no shame, but to be outclassed by such a comprehensive score and another performance apparently devoid of effort and ambition is once again a concern. I realized ahead of time the team was not going to make a promotion at first opportunity back last summer and that belief should come to pass. Cross the play-off issue when it arises but such is our record against other promotion candidates that already feeling somewhat skeptical about team chances by end of season.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:00 am

It is a lot better being in League One and being cr@p than watching McCarthy's teams in the Championship ?
League One is where Ipswich are going to be for a good while I fear.

Agree with all of Hallum post also. Summed football today up perfectly.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:29 am

I accept football is a greedy business and not that level playing field game that most of us were brought up on, however I see it differently and don’t subscribe to the theory that Sky have ruined the English game, quite the contrary, I think they’ve saved our game. Without their money our English game would have crashed years ago and our best players moved to the Continent where TV companies other than Sky are willing to pay similar huge amounts for broadcasting rights across the world. As football has turned into a global brand no longer are clubs sustainable solely with the finances produced from gate receipts and TV money is an essential income stream. We complain that our trophies are competed for by a handful of super clubs, but how is that different from other countries ?...

I think you’ll find it’s the same everywhere. In Spain, it’s Real Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla, Valencia & Athletico Madrid. in Italy, Juventus, Lazio, Inter Milan & Roma, in France, PSG & Marseille, Holland, Ajax, Feyenoord & AZ Alkmaar, Germany, Bayern Munch, Borussia Dortmund, Bayer Leverkusen & FC Schalke, and Portugal, Benfica, FC Porto and Sporting Lisbon.
Can you imagine what the English game would be like if we didn’t have Sky TV pumping money in, all our best players would be on the Continent and the English game second rate whereas as of now our EFL Championship is probably the best second tier football league anywhere in the World.

In my opinion where it’s all gone wrong is not how much money there is in the game but how that money is distributed, but surely Sky can’t be blamed for that.

I don’t think we can blame Sky for the demise of our football club either, as far as I’m concerned our downfall has been brought about by a succession of poor business decisions by previous owners, and poor management both on and off the field over a very long period and not just over Marcus Evans period of tenure.

When I look back at where we were two decades back and compare that with some of the football clubs playing in the Premier League now, and think where they were 20 years ago we only have ourselves to blame. Had we been better run and better managed there’s no reason why we shouldn’t be playing in the Premier League alongside the likes of Brighton, Bournemouth, Burnley and Watford who were way behind Town at that time and others like Palace, Sheffield United and Southampton who were very much our equals. Something went horribly wrong and kept going wrong and it wasn’t all the fault of Sky TV.

For me the biggest worry is that I don’t see an end to our current decline and that does make me very sad, as until last season’s relegation I always thought there was a way back. I even hoped next season we’d be back in the Championship but at this very moment I’m beginning to accept that is becoming highly unlikely.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:33 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:09 pm
So refreshing to see you so happy at being correct.
BM it pains me to gain from this debacle today, but the writing has been on the wall for ages now, and against the POSH today the result was very predictable, they are a very free scoring side at the moment, and we can learn a lot from how Peterborough run their club, there like us little or no finances, but trust me they are extremely shrewd in the buying and selling market, and they will always survive. at the beginning of the season we were in my eyes on a false run although we have benefitted for a few games and led the league for brief spells, but as you and many others have stated we have been found out time and time again and our weaknesses exposed, this is a very robust league and if your not wise to the opponents tactics you will get beat if you drop your guard.
I will always love my Ipswich club no matter what league we land up in, its like every one else who's a fan, it bloody hurts to see us suffering so much, I just hope we put one over on the Mackems at the Stadium of light, that will make my day, BUT I wont hold my breath on a positive result, I feel I cant trust the squad or Lambert at this current time, too many false dawns in my eyes. But we will come through it I'm sure. COYB

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:55 am

Obviously gutted with the result yesterday but I don't think it's time to lose the faith just yet. The league is very tight. Teams at the top are not having it all their own way and it seems like some of the other teams also have their idiosyncrasies. We are struggling to get results against top teams but others are finding it too easy to drop points against much lower teams whereas we are pretty effective at beating teams lower down, look at Wycombe yesterday and they have had a string of results like that.

Looking at the remaining games we have still chances to get an advantage over Sunderland, Coventry, Portsmouth & Oxford and then our last 6 games are all against sides at the bottom, the sort of teams that we have consistently beaten this season, whilst teams currently at or near the top are going to be playing each other.

In my view we need 3 wins in Feb, and Sunderland needs to be one of them. It looks like nobody is going to pull away, so it could be a very exciting end to the season and I would not bet against us getting 15 points from our last 18 available.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:35 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:46 pm
AylesburyBlue wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:34 pm

I think you’re on the right track Tom because for me Lambert is the problem. He has a more than half decent squad which for this League looks on paper as good as any other manager has to play with. However he has not a clue how to get the most out of them or how to make tactical changes to improve things mid game, these are two basic necessities to be a successful football manager.
Surely not :shock: :shock:

I mean - he's the messiah, isn't he?