12 ITFC Icons

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

AzzurroMark

12 ITFC Icons

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:37 pm

Just as an aside to our current plight, i thought it would be interesting to get people's take on the 12 ITFC icons, heroes, fans' favourites they would like to see on the 12 pillars in the Sir Alf Ramsey stand concourse.

As per the club email i have received today;
"We are looking for 12 Blues to light up the concourse - icons, heroes, legends of the Club but across the years, rather than just one era. They don’t have to be the best 12 players - just 12 fans’ favourites
."

For the record (and decided on in a matter of a few minutes), these were my choices (in no particular order of preference);

Mick Stockwell (my all time favourite player).
Matt Holland (A top class Captain)
Marcus Stewart (best ITFC striker in my time watching Town)
George Burley (never saw him play, but great club servant as both player & manager)
Frans Thijssen (maybe, to me as a kid, the continental name stood out in a team of greats)
John Wark (lucky enough to at least see him towards the end of his career, how much would he have been worth in today's market?)
Paul Mariner (favourite childhood player)
Ray Crawford & Ted Phillips (both plied their trade before i was born, but just for the goals these two scored and the history they helped create)
Herman Hreidersson (that dive into the crowd! :lol:, an icon for my generation)
Richard Naylor (for what he lacked in talent he made up for in endeavour. Oh and taking that ball down at Wembley, can picture it still now)
Richard Wright (One of our own and, being the only goalie i selected, just pipped Keiron Dyer to 12th spot).

K L Blue

Re: 12 ITFC Icons

Post by K L Blue » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:06 pm

I think everyone has their own favorites,

But where do you rate the following...…………………….
Butcher
Muhren
Wymark
Mills
Talbot
Cooper(Best keeper we've every had imo)
Forrest
Wilnis
Woods
Johnson
Gates
Yallop
Milton
Genchev
Mathie
Scowcroft
Resuer
Kiwomya

And who can forget the very best of Town Beattie

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:39 pm

Well being an 80s lad, I would have to have.... butcher, mills, mariner, Beattie, muhren, Cooper, burley, wark.

I could add others from that great era, but for the sense of balance.....

Stewart, Holland, Shefki, dyer...

There are loads from the 60s I’m sure... but I am too young for that era.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:59 pm

The 12 for me would be.....

1. Beattie
2. Wark
3. Thijssen
4. Muhren
5. Stewart
6. Mariner
7. Crawford
8. Burley
9. Holland
10. Gates
11. Whymark
12 Butcher

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:43 pm

So many to pick from which says so much for the wonderful history of our club, maybe just maybe we will in time have many more let's hope so anyway.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:03 pm

I think all of these to start with, sorry a few more than 10. I was lucky to watch this squad.
..Roy Bailey
.Billy Baxter
.Larry Carberry
..John Compton
..Andy Nelson
..John Elsworthy
..Jimmy Leadbetter
.Reg Pickett
.Roy Stephenson
.Ray Crawford (37 Goals)
.Doug Moran
.Ted Phillips

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:01 am

I’ve struggled to get to 12 so I’ve done my Top 20 in approx rank order only.

Kevin Beattie
Frans Thijssen
Arnold Muhren
John Wark
Mick Mills
Allan Hunter
Paul Mariner
Ray Crawford
Ted Phillips
Terry Butcher
Billy Baxter
Brian Talbot
Alan Brazil
George Burley
Trevor Whymark
Russell Osman
Paul Cooper
David Johnson
Colin Viljoen
Eric Gates

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:50 am

In no order of merit :

John Wark
Roger Osborne
Frans Thijsenn
Paul Cooper
Ted Phillips
Kevin Beattie
Arnold Muhren
Marcus Stewart
Eric Gates
Alan Brazil
Mick Mills
Brian Talbot

Other names that warrant inclusion or mention i.e. Mariner, Counago, Paul Mason, Allan Hunter, Whymark, possibly Holland. Mathie and Reuser et cetera.

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:55 am

Based on players I have seen live since 78
Mills (our most decorated skipper) talks crap on radio
Thijssen ( no justification needed)
Muhren (simply class)
Stewart (most underrated striker in premier league history)
Mariner ( led the line like no other)
Gates ( tough as nails best number 10 in club history)
Butcher (man mountain)
Miller ( box to box scored goals )
Dyer ( best home grown talent the club has ever produced)
Wark (our greatest player of all time)
Magilton (play offs against Bolton, enough said)

Sir Bobby (no words required)

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:58 am

There is a poll on the clubs website to pick your favourite 12. These votes will go to determining who goes on the pillars.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:04 am

If the brief is across the eras - then it will also probably include now.

I can see being Chambers with his fist-pump as the candidate for current day. That would cause a few groans, but can’t see anyone else.

I think you’ve got to include Roger Osborne because of the FA Cup winning goal - that’s a legendary iconic moment and not about picking the best 12 players. Probably the 60’s and 70’s would give loads of candidates - take your pick.

I’d want Arnie and Frans in there - my favourite players. Johnny Wark - legend from the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s.... 15 goals in Europe in 81. Marcus Stewart from the early noughties. Wouldn’t mind a Fabian Wilnis, Mickey Stockwell or a Shefki Kuqi who were lesser players, but ones who are more cult figures.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:32 am

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:04 am

I can see being Chambers with his fist-pump as the candidate for current day. That would cause a few groans, but can’t see anyone else.

I think you’ve got to include Roger Osborne because of the FA Cup winning goal - that’s a legendary iconic moment and not about picking the best 12 players. Probably the 60’s and 70’s would give loads of candidates - take your pick.

I’d want Arnie and Frans in there - my favourite players. Johnny Wark - legend from the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s.... 15 goals in Europe in 81. Marcus Stewart from the early noughties. Wouldn’t mind a Fabian Wilnis, Mickey Stockwell or a Shefki Kuqi who were lesser players, but ones who are more cult figures.
You got to include Osborne in it. Scored a goal in a competition victory that may never be repeated. Surprised to see the name omitted in a number of above responses.

(I) Forgot also to include Ray Crawford, realized some time after the error and take the opportunity now to rectify that mistake. Without him the 1962 League Championship success would not have been possible. What a great caliber of names assembled on this page, what would they be worth collectively now. Talking astronomical figures in today's market.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:32 am

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:04 am

You got to include Osborne in it. Scored a goal in a competition victory that may never be repeated. Surprised to see the name omitted in a number of above responses.

(I) Forgot also to include Ray Crawford, realized some time after the error and take the opportunity now to rectify that mistake. Without him the 1962 League Championship success would not have been possible. What a great caliber of names assembled on this page, what would they be worth collectively now. Talking astronomical figures in today's market.