Sunderland AFC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Difficult away fixture?

Sunderland Win
63%
Ipswich Win
6%
Draw
31%

Total votes: 16

Frosty
Forum Owner

Sunderland AFC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:54 am

ImageSunderland AFC v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 8th February 2019 – 15:00

Stadium of Light

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

Can It Possibly Get Any Worse ?.........

At a time when I really needed a lift to cheer me up my beloved ITFC came up with what can only be described as a shambolic performance, it was yet another big game in which we froze, didn't turn up, failed to deliver, let the fans down, blah blah blah !!! For the opening Fifteen minutes we actually looked ok but it was soon to deteriorate and proceeded to get worse and worse the longer the game went on. Yes I felt the penalty for the first was harsh and having seen it again you have to admit that there is every reason as to why the officials gave it, it was a blow from which we were never going to recover but even that was nothing compared to what was to unfold for the second Peterborough goal.

When Luke Woolfenden mopped up another Peterborough attack and laid it back to Will Norris there was absolutely no danger whatsoever, he had an age to clear it but instead tried to be a smart arse and what followed was not even school boy stuff, it was suicide and totally unbelievable to try and play it around the attacker, furious doesn't come close, I have never rated Norris and never will, he is a liability that has cost us points against Portsmouth, Lincoln, Wycombe and now Posh, some have even pointed out Holy would have plucked the ball out of the air at Rotherham just before they scored, these are only games I can think of in recent weeks too, there are no doubt others but my head is scrambled right now and they escape me. What I do know is that if he never played for Town again I would be happy, if Holy is not in at the Stadium of Light then something is massively wrong because Paul Lambert would be just about the only person who would consider keeping Norris between the sticks (apart from the odd argumentative insufferable pr*ck of course).

Once it went Three Nil I had seen enough and recent events conspired to make me do something I have never done before and something I said I would never do and that was to leave a game early, not just early though, only 65 mins on the clock when I made my way home, yes it really was THAT bad, walking home it was just a haze in the memory, I do recall thinking things must be bad as Gwion Edwards was for me our stand out performer, I felt he had his best game in ages, typically he is now banned for Two games, you couldn't make it up.

Clearly the league table does not look as it did two weeks back when we went top again and that is how quickly it can change, I don't even think it is the defeats that are the problem but more the manner of them, out thought at Rotherham and outclassed against Peterborough, that is the top and bottom of it and while we ares till in a decent position it could have been oh so much better. I am not one to normally go all knee jerk about our poor results etc but man that was a cause for concern, I don't care what anyone says we are better than that !!!!! What is a fact is that we still can't get a positive result against our main rivals, thankfully we've played most of those games now so all is not doom and gloom.

With a trip to a much improved Sunderland next up it may well get worse before it gets better because based on those two defeats last week and Sunderland's recent results it looks to be a home banker but this is Town and when you least expect they are capable of coming up with a surprise or Two, we can but hope although I would not be putting any money on us on this occasion.

Due to personal reasons I am unable to make this game so will have to rely on others first hand accounts although I may give this I player thing a look for the first time, that said I won't be losing any sleep at sitting this one out. I would love to be my usual positive self but it's a Sunderland win on this occasion I am afraid to say, a result which could see us slipping out of the top six if I am not mistaken ? Now that will cause a meltdown.

The Opposition – Sunderland

Founded 17 October 1879 as 'Sunderland and District Teachers A.F.C.' by schoolmaster James Allan, Sunderland joined The Football League for the 1890–91 season. They replaced Stoke, who had failed to be re-elected, becoming the first new club to join the league since its inauguration in 1888.

During the late 19th century, they were declared the "Team of All Talents" by William McGregor. Sunderland won the league championship in the 1891–92 season, one season after joining The Football League. Sunderland successfully defended the title the following season. In the process, they became the first team to score 100 goals in a season, a feat not matched until 1919–20.

Sunderland came close to winning a third successive league championship in the 1893–94 season, finishing second behind Aston Villa. However, they regained the title in the 1894–95 season.

Sunderland came close to winning another league title in the 1897–98 season, when they finished as runners-up. That season was their last at Newcastle Road, as they moved to Roker Park the following season. After coming second in 1900–01, the club won their fourth league title in the 1901–02 season.

The club won the league again in 1913, but lost their first FA Cup final to Aston Villa, in a very tough loss. This was the closest the club has come to winning the league title and the FA Cup in the same season.

Two seasons later the First World War brought the league to a halt. After the league's resumption, Sunderland came close to winning another championship in the 1922–23 season, when they were runners-up to Liverpool. They also came close the following season, finishing third, four points from the top of the league. The club escaped relegation from the First Division by one point in the 1927–28 season.

The club's sixth league championship came in the 1935–36 season, and they won the FA Cup the following season, after a victory against Preston North End at Wembley Stadium.

The remainder of the decade saw mid-table finishes, until the league and FA Cup were suspended for the duration of the Second World War.

For Sunderland, the immediate post-war years were characterised by significant spending. This, along with record-breaking transfer fees, led to a contemporary nickname, the "Bank of England club". The club finished third in the First Division in 1950, their highest finish since the 1936 championship.

The late 1950s saw a sharp downturn in Sunderland's fortunes, and in 1958 they were relegated from the highest division for the first time in their 68-year league history.

Sunderland's absence from the top flight lasted six years. After the close call in the previous season, the club was promoted to Division One in 1964 after finishing in second place. At the end of the decade, they were again relegated to the Second Division.

Sunderland won their last major trophy in 1973, in a 1–0 victory over Leeds United in the FA Cup Final. Since 1973 only two other clubs, Southampton in 1976, and West Ham United in 1980, have equalled Sunderland's achievement of lifting the FA Cup while playing outside the top tier of English football.

By winning the 1973 FA Cup Final, Sunderland qualified for the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup, the club's only appearance in European competition to date.

After spending six seasons in the Second Division, Sunderland were promoted to Division One in the 1975–76 season, however, they were relegated the following season back into Division Two.

Sunderland appeared in their first League Cup final in 1985, but lost to Norwich City.

In 1987, Sunderland saw one of the lowest points in their history, when they were relegated to the Third Division of the English league for the first time, but were promoted straight away the following season.

In 1990, they were promoted back to the top flight in unusual circumstances. Sunderland lost to Swindon Town in the play-off final, but Swindon's promotion was revoked after the club was found guilty of financial irregularities and Sunderland were promoted instead. They stayed up for one year before being relegated on the final day of the following season.

Sunderland's next outing in a major final came in 1992 when, as a Second Division club, they returned to the FA Cup final. There was to be no repeat of the heroics of 1973, as Sunderland lost to Liverpool.

After promotion from Division One in the 1995–96 season, Sunderland began their first season in the Premier League, but finished third from the bottom and were relegated back to the First Division.

In 1997, Sunderland left Roker Park, their home for 99 years. The club moved to the Stadium of Light, a 42,000-seat arena that, at the time, was the largest stadium built in England after the Second World War.

Sunderland returned to the Premier League as First Division champions in 1999 with a then-record 105 points. At the end of the season Sunderland finished seventh, with Kevin Phillips winning the European Golden Shoe in his first top-flight season, scoring 30 goals.

Another seventh-place finish in the 2000–01 season was followed by two less successful seasons, and they were relegated to the second-tier with a then-record low 19 points in 2003.

Former Ireland manager Mick McCarthy took over at the club, and, in 2005, he took Sunderland up as champions for the third time in less than ten years. However, the club's stay in the top flight was short-live as Sunderland were once again relegated, this time with a new record-low total of 15 points.

Following Sunderland's relegation from the Premier League, the club was taken over by the Irish Drumaville Consortium, headed by ex-player Niall Quinn, who appointed former Manchester United captain Roy Keane as the new manager.

Under Keane, the club rose steadily up the table with an unbeaten run of 17 games to win promotion to the Premier League, and were named winners of the Championship.

At the start of the 2009/10 campaign, Irish-American businessman Ellis Short completed a full takeover of the club, and Steve Bruce was announced as the next manager on 3 June.

Sunderland started the 2010–11 season strongly and they eventually finished 10th — which was still their highest top-flight finish for 10 years.

Bruce was sacked in November 2011, and replaced by Martin O'Neill. In February 2012, Quinn left the club with immediate effect. O'Neill was sacked in March 2013 and Italian Paolo Di Canio was announced as his replacement the following day. The appointment prompted the immediate resignation of club Vice Chairman David Miliband due to Di Canio's "past political statements". Sunderland went on to survive relegation with one game to go.

Di Canio was sacked after a poor start to the 2013–14 season, and reports of a complete breakdown in relations with his players. Gus Poyet was announced as his replacement, and led Sunderland to the 2014 Football League Cup Final, where they were defeated by Manchester City.

In March 2015 Poyet was sacked, and veteran Dutchman Advocaat was appointed as the club's new head coach, saving the club from relegation. Eight games into the 2015–16 season he resigned from the position. Sam Allardyce was appointed the next manager in October 2015. Sunderland remained in the relegation zone for much of the remainder of the 2015–16 season, but Allardyce was able to save the club from being relegated with improved form in the second half of the season.

In July 2016, Allardyce left the club to be announced as manager for the English national team following the dismissal of Roy Hodgson. Former Everton and Manchester United manager David Moyes was appointed as his replacement on a 4-year contract. Under Moyes, Sunderland made the worst ever start to a Premier League season, taking just 2 points from their opening 10 matches. The club was relegated to the second tier for the first time in ten years at the end of the 2016–17 season, finishing bottom of the table with 24 points. On 22 May 2017, Moyes resigned as manager of the club. On 15 June 2017, goalkeeper Jordan Pickford, product of the Sunderland's academy, having joined the club aged eight, was transferred to Everton for a fee of £25 million, rising to a possible £30 million, a record for a British goalkeeper.

Following relegation, Simon Grayson was announced as the new manager of the club. Under Grayson, the club made a very poor start to the 2017–18 EFL Championship season (which was documented in the Netflix series Sunderland 'Til I Die), taking only 2 wins in 14 games. was sacked, and Wales head coach Chris Coleman replaced him in November 2017.

In April 2018, after a second consecutive relegation, this time to League One, the club was sold to a group led by Stewart Donald, chairman of Eastleigh F.C. and Coleman was released from his contract.

St Mirren manager Jack Ross was appointed as manager in May 2018 to take charge of what is only the club's second ever season in the third flight of the English football league system. In their first season in League One the team finished 5th and reached the playoff final, but lost to Charlton Athletic at Wembley.

On 17 October 2019, Phil Parkinson was unveiled as the Sunderland manager on a two and a half year contract.

The Manager – Phil Parkinson

Form Guide

Sunderland Last 5 Matches – Currently in 7th place with 45 points

1 Jan Fleetwood 1 - 1 Sunderland

4 Jan Sunderland 3 - 1 Lincoln City

11 Jan Sunderland 4 - 0 Wycombe

18 Jan Milton Keynes 0 - 1 Sunderland

24 Jan Sunderland 0 - 0 Doncaster

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 4th place with 48 points

14 Jan Oxford Utd 0 - 0 Ipswich Town

18 Jan Tranmere 1 - 2 Ipswich Town

25 Jan Ipswich Town 1 - 0 Lincoln City

28 Jan Rotherham 1 - 0 Ipswich Town

1 Feb Ipswich Town 1 - 4 Peterborough

Marko’s Caption Contest – THE DON CUP

LINCOLN SCORES
Shed on Tour (Cap 1) 5pts
Blueblood & IpswichTownNo1 4pts
Ando (Cap 2) 3pts
Bluemike & Shed on Tour (Cap 2) 2pts

POSH SCORES
Aylesburyblue (Cap 1) 5pts
Aylesburyblue (Cap 2) 4pts
Bluemike (Edited cap 1) 3pts
Blueblood & Frosty 2pts

LEAGUE TABLE

AylesburyBlue 91
DerickIpsw 70
Bluemike 70
Blueblood 52
Ando 43
Shed on Tour 40
Blue Wilf 38
Number 9 37
JohnnyB 25
Frosty 20
Tangfastic 19
Quasar 18
Kerry Blue 11
Watership Down 10
IpswichTownNO1 9
Barmy Billy 8
AshfordBlue 7
Todd66 6
Nicscreamer 5
Charnwood 4
Lucy 1
MasseyFerguson 1

CAPTION PIC:

Match referee – Jeremy Simpson

SUNDERLAND 1 IPSWICH TOWN 1

Andym

Re: Sunderland AFC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Andym » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:39 am

Out of form and confidence,. A change of full back. Can only see defeat here. Hope I'm wrong.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:42 am

Form dictates we'll lose but screw that you got to retain positives. Voted for a tie, they'll be expected to win but we play better away from Portman Road and a trip up the East Coast could bring a favorable score. Lambert needs to deploy two up front and go for the victory. Needs to emphasize to the players the need for points and still in a very good position to challenge. Require to eradicate defensive errors also that have cost the team in recent time.

Sunderland 2 Town 2

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:18 pm

I think Sunderland will easily win 2 or 3-0.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:26 pm

More misery ….. 3-0 to Sunderland

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:28 pm

I think a draw would be a good result after the last couple of games. Just want to see some fight. If we’re not good enough, fair enough, but put up a fight. Lambert keeps referring to us as a young side. Apart from Downes and Woolf ( maybe our two best players) we’ve got an experienced side. We should have enough experience, nous, hairy arses in the side so we shouldn’t roll over and make it easy for any team in this league. A win would be fantastic - if unexpected, but I just hope if we do lose we put up a fight. Another drubbing would be insufferable.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:32 pm

As we seem to lose every time I predict a win then 4-0 Sunderland ( and may God/other deity/ no deity) forgive me. COYB

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:35 pm

Refs facial expression mirrors his opinion after seeing Ipswich go 7-0 down!!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:50 pm

patthegimp wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:35 pm
Refs facial expression mirrors his opinion after seeing Ipswich go 7-0 down!!
...or he just stepped in a pile of fresh dog sh*t! :lol:

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:14 pm

Maybe it’s because I’m on my second glass of red but I’m going to buck the trend and predict a 0-1. First half nicked goal, massive pressure, but the defence holds out. It could happen!

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:15 pm

Ref caption: ‘Johnnyb, I p*ss on your dreams’

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:29 pm

I think we'll sneak a draw. 0-0

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:37 am

Scores, table and caption pic added.

Might be the end of the road for a few more after they see that table. Oh dear. AylesburyBlue is breaking all sorts of records. Wouldn't be cracking open the bubbly just yet though.

Obviously people NOT entering due to "giving up" will bring that title to Aylesbury quicker as someone needs to get the points each week. Keep the funnies rolling in.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:51 am

Thanks for the preview, Mike. Been a tough week for you and your family no doubt at all and the time taken to write this is appreciated.

And yep, with you as far as the outcome is concerned. 2-0 Sunderland. Team starting line up will indeed be interesting to see. Have since witnessed some Posh highlights and dear oh dear.
Stranger things have happened in football though and the Black Cats fanbase is notorious for turning the stadium into a pressure cooker. If ITFC can get to HT @ 0-0, could go either way.

Ref caption:

"Caption Competition, Ref? What do you think? Is it over? Has Aylesbury won it?"

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:48 am

Caption: “Come on, you’re not rubbish. Remember what your mum told you, ‘Be like Aylesbury’!”

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:09 am

Travelling up on Saturday but not having many hopes.

Lambert gives me no confidence whatsoever. Lost my faith in him after that terrible Rotherham performance after which he never admitted getting his tactics wrong. He perseveres with Norris between the sticks, our defence bar Woolfenden is crap.

What do I expect on Saturday? To watch long balls towards Jackson :twisted:

Sunderland 2-0 Town :(

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:57 am

Well, ive been looking forward to this game since new year. Its my first away game of the season and i have not been able to attend many games this year at PR. Now, as im sitting here drinking a brew and getting ready for the drive up today im not so keen. The results, tactics and player performances of late dont fill me with confidence. I would like to see Holy in goal, as mike points out, norris is not performing so how much longer can a dodgy loan player keep our No.1 on the bench. Also id like to see norwood given a start, if hes not scoring his workrate is great and hes not affraid to let others know if they are not performing. Apart from thos two, i think stick with the rest, its only a blip!! :wink:
Ok, as lambert rightly points out, just cos we are ITFC it does not mean we have a right to win every game, BUT mr Lambert, we are ITFC , and we expect every player to put in 100% everytime they are lucky enough to put on a town shirt. If we play well and get beaten, so be it, if we get beaten and dont turn up again, there is great cause for concern with the mentality of the squad. Maybe the pressure of expectation is getting to them, but they are paid professionals with loys of experience, they should be able to cope.
Prediction,
If town turn up 1-2
If they dont 3,4,5-0, take ya pick

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:07 am

My prediction.....

Sunderland 2 - 0 Ipswich

Sunderland 2-0 up after 35 minutes. Then in the 46th minute, Sunderland have 10 men sent off, but Ipswich fail to capitalise.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:06 pm

Since our first league defeat of the season at Accrington we have played 17 league games and only managed to win 5 of them.
Now I know people say you can make statistics look whatever way you want but to get promoted you have to win games and the fact is we just aren’t doing that on a regular basis.
Unfortunately I can’t see things changing tomorrow and think we may end up being comprehensively beaten again.
Sunderland 3 Town 0

Caption: Referee has just been told through his earpiece that he has got to ref all Ipswich games for the remainder of the season. His response is “feck me it’s bad enough having to watch this sh*t once a season”.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:16 pm

Caption 1 Chap puts hand up to ask.......Marko, have you changed the Judges from last year? Because this year they seem to give 5 points for posting last on the thread? Also i thought you got 5 points for being.........well funny. :shock:

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:26 pm

Not so sure Shed, Sunderland haven’t exactly been a goal machine this season, last 4 games, sure they won two of them but have only scored 2 goals in total across the 4 fixtures.

They could well beat us I accept, but I would be surprised if it’s a blowout.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:08 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:06 pm
Since our first league defeat of the season at Accrington we have played 17 league games and only managed to win 5 of them.
Now I know people say you can make statistics look whatever way you want but to get promoted you have to win games and the fact is we just aren’t doing that on a regular basis.
Unfortunately I can’t see things changing tomorrow and think we may end up being comprehensively beaten again.
Sunderland 3 Town 0

Caption: Referee has just been told through his earpiece that he has got to ref all Ipswich games for the remainder of the season. His response is “feck me it’s bad enough having to watch this sh*t once a season”.
If our form was turned around ie if we won only 5 out of the first 17 games but our current form mirrored our early form - I’d be buzzing. August / September form seems a long time ago and those last two games really humbled us. The only thing consistent is we can beat poor sides and not win against top sides. My hope is football has always thrown up some unexpected results when you least expect them.
There’s a feeling of gloom, but strangely enough.... we’re above Sunderland even though it doesn’t feel like it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:12 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:16 pm
Caption 1 Chap puts hand up to ask.......Marko, have you changed the Judges from last year? Because this year they seem to give 5 points for posting last on the thread? Also i thought you got 5 points for being.........well funny. :shock:
You seriously using that as caption 1? Because that’s not funny. :shock: :D

Seriously though, judges are pretty much the same apart from one new guy. Same judges that have won you the trophy twice in the last three years.
Those top two for the Peterborough were actually unanimous. The 5 pointer is funny when you look at the picture and what was written , tying it all in with being top of the league. Funny stuff. Well, it had us all chuckling away. It’s good when harmless humour gets us all laughing. Was a good mix of harmless and “bottle” shenanigans from Aylesbury.

And if there is a link with posting last and winning points, that’s unintentional. Shed on Tour won the 5pts in the Lincoln preview and he posted first or second.
Don’t really want to put a deadline on a comedy thing. Takes away the fun.
FTR, as I’ve stated before. The scores are gathered usually on a Thursday evening for me so feel free to caption the pictures through the week after the game, obviously 2 captions maximum.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:26 pm

Caption:

The coin has finally dropped for this Sunderland player as he recollects that creepy childhood memory of meeting Phillip Schofield in the Broom Cupboard

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:09 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:16 pm
For what it's worth Derick, your posts generally make me laugh out loud more than others. Not taking anything away from the leaders...I guess it's a sense of humour thing. And based on this season's results, I'm about as funny as a nude picture of Donald Trump!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:11 pm

caption 2: "Note to self, no more Mexican food before matches..."

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:59 pm

number 9 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:09 pm
For what it's worth Derick, your posts generally make me laugh out loud more than others.
And that’s definitely true for us too, but this season Aylesbury is Fking killing it!!

(Whisper) just trying to jinx the git like he done to me in the predicton league when I was FAR from killing it, but was seriously thinking about it!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:09 pm

Ref:

Hey Ref? Bit confused over all this shock at Schofield coming out the closet. I thought he was possibly gay 25years ago when he was on children’s BBC. What do you think?
Ref: (picture)
Phil Parkinson: “Is he? Gay? Would never have thought that.”

Really,Phil?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:12 pm

Ref:

Hey ref? Do you enjoy the experience of Christmas dinner?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:17 pm

Ref:

Hey Jeremy, as a ref, what’s your honest opinion on VAR?