Sunderland AFC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Difficult away fixture?

Sunderland Win
63%
Ipswich Win
6%
Draw
31%

Total votes: 16

JohnnyB

Re: Sunderland AFC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:15 pm

Sounds like it’s all Sunderland... can we hold out 🤞🤞

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:17 pm

Barage atm

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:23 pm

There appears to be a familiar pattern developing here. Let’s hope our defensive set up can hold out😂

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:26 pm

A point doesn’t really benefit either side, but psychologically it would be good for us

Some signs of a comeback having been under the cosh. A win would be magnificent

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:40 pm

Oh that is so sh*t

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:41 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:26 pm
A point doesn’t really benefit either side, but psychologically it would be good for us

Take that point now would you? :roll:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:42 pm

It’s been coming for a while, even though we’ve had the best chances.

Can’t see a way back.

sh*t !

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:43 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:41 pm
JohnnyB wrote:

Currently 7th ffs

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:47 pm

Yeah and the 3 below us can go ahead if they win games in hand. Still 10th would be fairly familiar ground for us just in the wrong division!!

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:55 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:43 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:41 pm
JohnnyB wrote:

Currently 7th ffs
3 defeats on the bounce just not good enough.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:56 pm

It's looking like a top two finish is beyond us now. Given how fragile we are against the half decent teams in this division I have no great confidence in our chances if we make the playoffs.

Having said that, the playoffs would be a bonus at this stage. Thoroughly depressed.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:03 pm

Well that’s another kick in the balls. Playoffs would be a big bonus now, but we have zero chance of getting to Wembley. There needs to be a massive change of performance and I don’t see it happening. We are on a bad bad run and it’s not getting better. Soooooo depressed.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:28 pm

Oh my days, what a game of two halves. Ipswich good in first half but as soon as the ball reaches the 18 yard line its headless chicken stuff. We lost this game by not scoring when on top. Sunderland battered us second half and overall deserved the win. P Lambert needs to show why he deserves a five year contract no. The substitutions made no sense to me. Donacian was playing well, got taken off, norwood was doing ok and much better than keane but gets taken off, i just dont bloody get it. Now 7th in the league, 4th and 5th with two games in hand and others around us with 1 game in hand. Im keeping this polite but im so pissed off, lets see if chambers gives another load of bull in the press this week, cant wait.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:45 pm

I hate lambert. And half of the squad. Completely out of love with this club.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:52 pm

CAPTION..... " I need to get this head shaved, after all most people don't like hair on a cnut"

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:52 pm

:roll: AFC Wimbledon up next week, not an easy game at all, will be arsehole lucky to come away with a point, if we lose its down to 10th, and the excuses will be too many injuries to the squad. :x Bollocks no Paul, we should have brought in a half decent striker in the window, we are sh*t up front, so it will be another season in this division.
Norwood hasn't been the striker we thought he could be, has been found out now, Jackson all huff and puff, Keane cant hit a cows arse with a banjo, and so it goes on, should have brought Neil Warnock in not Lambert, Warnock would have guaranteed promotion out of this kick and run division. every club he's been at has been promoted. 5 bloody years more of these excuses, Injuries, cant buy decent players. Grrrrrrrrrrrr :twisted:

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:03 pm

I am hoping that Marcus has some serious clauses in the contract so he can sack Paul if/when we don’t get promoted this season. I have loved what Paul has done for the unity of the fans, bringing the club back together, but the results really have not been good enough.... both in the championship nor in this league.
It’s a real shame, as we deserve better given how we have all supported the club through these bad times. But for the love of gad, something needs to change. Marcus is going nowhere, so there is only one change I can see.....

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:19 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:03 pm
Well that’s another kick in the balls. Playoffs would be a big bonus now, but we have zero chance of getting to Wembley. There needs to be a massive change of performance and I don’t see it happening. We are on a bad bad run and it’s not getting better. Soooooo depressed.
It hurts and it’s a great shame we didn’t capitalise on the first half performance today. But we didn’t get annihilated, as some predicted, and we have very winnable games coming up in February. So we might well be in the playoffs again by the end of the month.

The problem is though, we always seem to fluff the big games so it’d be hard to see us winning out over two games against say Coventry or Pompey

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:26 pm

As I said before the contract will mean nothing in terms of if Evans wants him to go he will go, that's a fact. For what it's worth I don't for one second believe it's going to happen wherever we finish this season.

As Johnny says most predicted a heavy thumping today so not sure why such unrest after performing well for half the game. It was always going to get a bit worse today before hopefully it starts getting better, however should we be talking about another defeat on Wednesday following Wimbledon I don't think very many will be able to defend anything anymore.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:37 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:26 pm
As I said before the contract will mean nothing in terms of if Evans wants him to go he will go, that's a fact. For what it's worth I don't for one second believe it's going to happen wherever we finish this season.

As Johnny says most predicted a heavy thumping today so not sure why such unrest after performing well for half the game. It was always going to get a bit worse today before hopefully it starts getting better, however should we be talking about another defeat on Wednesday following Wimbledon I don't think very many will be able to defend anything anymore.
Yep Wimbledon are 20th and on a miserable run. We really should win that.

The trouble is we need to go up this year or we will lose our best players. At the moment it’s looking to me like the most likely outcome is the playoffs. I think Rotherham and Peterborough will go up automatically

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:50 pm

The final result is exactly what I expected, however what I didn’t expect was for town to be on top for 45 mins and that is encouraging because against less able opposition it should convert into goals.

We knew we were likely to lose at Rotherham and Sunderland so it’s really only the home game v Peterborough where we dropped expected points and those can still be made up. However whilst we keep giving powder puff performances in front of goal the likelihood of another season in League 1 increases.

If we do miss out on promotion this season in my opinion one one person is to blame and that’s PL for f**king about with his team selections at a time when we were doing ok.

As for ME getting rid of him, unless there’s a get out clause if we miss out on promotion I just can’t see ME paying up 5yrs of his contract which I guess would be around £2.5m ?

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:16 pm

Agree with Nicscreamer, PL has unified the club but he is now undoing all that hard work with his crap management, if things do not pick up soon he will be gone.

We should be playing better than this even with just a few injuries, all in the same boat.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:05 pm

If we play like we did in the first half today we could pick up 12 points in the next 4 games..... but if we play like we did in the second half after Lamberts HT team talk we could get 0.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:53 pm

Back from the game. Very windy and cold afternoon up north.

The opening line-up suggested that we were going to play a draw. Therefore our first half performance was surprisingly good. Well dominant and creating chances. One of the best halves for a while. Some of this season's games saw us dominating an opposition without threatening them today though was much different. Certainly a hell lot better than Rotherham 10 days ago where we had been utterly appalling.
Lambert in his post-match interview underlines how good we were in the first half, however ... we still failed to score. The league table isn't going to give us points for this.
We had an early chance from Kenlock as his shot was blocked by their full-back, soon later a bit of nonchalance from Norwood as he tried to lob the ball when one v one against McLoughlin but the latter dealt with it comfortably. A few minutes later shot on target from Nolan.
Yes it was tasty to watch. Chances galore but again we still failed to score. Sunderland completely hopeless and struggling to cope with our attacks and movement. Their manager Phil Parkinson was never going to be happy and I firmly expected much better approach from them after the break. In fact it was even much more better than I expected.

The match proceedings changed and they completely dominated but we still had two glorious opportunities. That one missed by Norwood still grates on me and really is unforgivable. Dead ball from 8 yards and he still failed to hit the target !

In their skillful midfielder Lynden Gooch the hosts have had that bit of quality we missed. 5 minutes after the break he embarrassed our almost entire defence by doing a kind of Maradona's famous run and easily going through them. Had he scored instead of hitting the post it would have been of the goals of the season.

They hit the bar soon after too. We needed some injection of spark and movement to revive ourselves. All hopes in substitutes Jackson and Huws but they both never delivered. That second chance I have mentioned was Jackson's one v one but his hesitance allowed the returning defender to stab the ball and prevent conceding the goal. It would have been a deserved equaliser (deserved for our 1st half efforts) as a few minutes before Maguire's potent shot gave Holy no chance.

All in all yet another defeat and we keep sliding down. Yet again we fail to beat a top 8 team. Downes in my opinion was our best player followed by Nolan and Donacien as the latter put his body on the line on a couple of occasions.

We are ending up 7th in the 3rd tier. Really heartbreaking and making me downbeat but on the other hand it comes as no surprise whatsoever to me. A few years of Evans' destruction and it is what it is today.

People keep voicing their concerns/fears about staying in this league beyond this season. Of course it's better to go up but for me personally we're in the lose-lose situation. Stay in this league means will be here for a few years before Evans and his destructive policy takes us down to League Two while promotion means that this squad will need a drastic improvement otherwise we might not even have a chance to fight relegation. We all know that Evans is never going to provide the manager with the funds in order to compete in the Championship so quick return to League One would be very likely.
Each to their own and this is how see it above. Downes and Woolfenden are going to be sold this summer, they will be replaced by out of contract lower leagues' dross and we are gonna continue our decline.

Depressing times and I can't wait for the day when Evans sells up the club and pisses off. It might take a few more depressing years though.

Really don't know where to take the optimism from. Lambert gets 5 years contract therefore he feels no pressure whatsoever. No point to shout Lambert Out as he'll be with us for years but he longer gives me confidence and faith. I'd lost my connection with him following the Rotherham game after which he didn't admit getting his tactics wrong.

Wimbledon on Tuesday a must win? Yep certainly so but I'm out of faith in this team and manager. Whatever happens, happens. Too downbeat tonight.

A final whistle today was followed by the boos from a few people but hardly surprising. Once again we gain no points and end up out of the top 6 in this poor league.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:01 am

Ahhh f*ck it, I’m pissed and sooooooo..... up the town, come on you blues, let’s get promoted !

We will win Tuesday and it will be sunny again 🤗

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:18 am

Caught game highlights but didn't offer much. Seems they were value for the victory but shame we couldn't see out the last ten minutes and take something away. Skimmed through some post-game reaction on TWTD and many mention the team were poor and inconsistent. Unable to take victory over anyone in the top eight positions and third game in succession with zero points. Still in a good position to challenge but realize promotion seems doubtful even now.

We weren't good enough for the Championship league and truth be told we're not good enough for the level below it. Providing Lambert a five year extension seems once again bizarre, and who orchestrated that maneuver : Marcus Evans. Go figure.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:06 am

The first half performance was far better than expected, but, just like the Coventry league game, we go into HT after dominating but you don’t feel confident enough that we’ve got another good 45 mins in us. It’s been a constant criticism all season that we can’t play well for the vast majority of the 90 minutes.
You expectEd Sunderland to come out fighting after the break - and they did - but I have to ask why can’t we blunt teams more easily when they’re on top? Sunderland looked a different team after the break, but surely we’re also partly responsible for them looking much better. We don’t seem to have enough nous on the field to deal with opponents changing tactics. Within a couple of minutes of the second half, you felt we’d completely given away all our supremacy of the first half. And we’ve seen that quite often so far this season.
We could have got away with a 0-0 and that would have been deserved to a point, but Sunderland’s second half was more incisive than ours and can’t say I was too surprised we conceded. And even though we had a couple of half chances after that, I felt that goal was always going to be enough.

AFC Wimbledon on paper seems very winnable, but there’s going to be a lot of pressure on us to get those 3 points. A huff n puff scrappy 1-0 win would do me. At this point, I would bite the hand off for a play-off place - but that’s after most of the season really expecting us to be automatic contenders.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:29 am

Caption 2. Hey Mcgeady after playing Ipswich yesterday what league do you think they will be in next season?........OH.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:48 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:29 am
Caption 2. Hey Mcgeady after playing Ipswich yesterday what league do you think they will be in next season?........OH.
:lol: Now that is "two time" cup winner form.

And so far, you're the last to post. There may be some truth in that yet, Deeko Boy. :D

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:51 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:01 am
Ahhh f*ck it, I’m pissed and sooooooo..... up the town, come on you blues, let’s get promoted !

We will win Tuesday and it will be sunny again 🤗
well you got the weather forecast right mate, best day of the week
https://www.bing.com/search?q=7+weather ... ORM=ISCHR1