NOW FOR PROMOTION

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: NOW FOR PROMOTION

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:32 pm

Not for me no, however these next 14 games need to be better than last few

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:09 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:03 pm
Should Lambert go if we are not promoted ?
I've never been PL's biggest fan and I thought giving him a five year contract was ridiculous.

Having said that, I don't think we would attract anyone better as long as we are in this division. So, reluctantly, I think we have to stick with him even if we don't go up.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:47 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:32 pm
Not for me no, however these next 14 games need to be better than last few
Unfortunately Mike I think we need to win them all to get automatic promotion now. That would give us 90 pts. I just can't see that happening. :(

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:30 am

In my mind I've all but given up on the Two Auto spots, I think Rotherham, Peterborough and Portsmouth look to be in good shape to compete for those.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:49 am

I think it might be better to stop looking at those automatic places. We’re not good enough to win that many games. For automatic promotion, we’d have to rely on 2 or 3 teams to go through a sticky period as well as us putting a winning run together. The burden of going for those automatic places heaps a bit too much pressure on the team and they don’t seem good enough or mentally strong enough to deal with it.
When we hear interviews with the players, they all say we’ve got the best squad and we’ve got the best players and we’re going for automatic promotion - but I don’t see that over the 90 minutes. If they were to carry that same swagger and confidence from those interviews onto the pitch then we might not look like such a powder-puff outfit so often. We might all be better off by now accepting we’re not good enough for top two and ease the expectancy and try and deal with the lesser pressure of getting a top six spot.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:00 am

It's a long old season and all the teams at the top end are faced with a number of challenges during it. Still a long way to go and I reckon at least one of those top two places could go to any one of up to 9 teams. Some of them will start to feel the pressure now as we get to that 10 games to go mark. Every game matters now for every team.

One thing for sure, it's not boring.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:35 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:30 am
In my mind I've all but given up on the Two Auto spots, I think Rotherham, Peterborough and Portsmouth look to be in good shape to compete for those.
As I said earlier in this thread Coventry are the ones to watch. still have to play them so there is another loss. :(

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:44 pm

They certainly made us look mugs in the second half of the game at Portman Road but equally we should have beaten them at their place when we played pretty well so you just never know.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:51 pm

We could do with Coventry and Portsmouth ending all square tomorrow night which would at least keep us in touch with both teams whilst Peterborough, Sunderland and Doncaster Rovers all look set to pick up three easy points. If we were to lose at Wimbledon and Donny pick up three points against Bolton (highly likely) we would drop to 8th and be 8 points off the automatic places. The last thing we need now is to see a gap build between us and the play off places between now and the end of February.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:57 pm

And don't forget several teams have 2 games in hand over us, so we could be in 10th ??? Not good

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:03 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:57 pm
And don't forget several teams have 2 games in hand over us, so we could be in 10th ??? Not good

..... not by tomorrow night Ashford, that’s not possible, 8th is the worst case scenario for the time being. 🙏

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:06 am

Promotion? After tonight i am really not sure anymore, Play offs? Oh god its great when when you win at Wembley and go up, the flip side that is fuckin awful. :?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:38 am

Wembley? Not sure the Play-Offs will guarantee Wembley. Not unless the “strikers” step up.

14 shots, 6 on target, 6 corners. 🤦‍♂️ Just one hitting the net bags the 3pts. Praying they all get together and sort that out.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:52 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:06 am
Promotion? After tonight i am really not sure anymore, Play offs? Oh god its great when when you win at Wembley and go up, the flip side that is fuckin awful. :?
If go up it'll be a carnage and bloodbath next season as this squad would be embarrassed week in week out.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:37 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:52 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:06 am
If go up it'll be a carnage and bloodbath next season as this squad would be embarrassed week in week out.

I’d be more than happy to worry about that next season Mach. The alternative is another bloody season in this shithole league.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:29 am

Coventry and Portsmouth still to visit PR, these will be massive in determining where Town finish this season.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:44 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:29 am
Coventry and Portsmouth still to visit PR, these will be massive in determining where Town finish this season.
Yes, big six-pointers. I still can’t believe we can go throughout the season not beating a top six or a top eight side - so maybe this will be our time. Every 3 points are crucial, but it’s time we started to put a couple of dents into our rivals’ promotion campaigns.
I’ve still got some belief because I don’t think we’ve ever really looked consistently good this season (even during August /September) - yet are still only 5 points from the top. If we can just put some performances together and get some momentum going, then it might be enough. Hoping that yesterday’s performance gave the team a big lift, as we’ve been looking clueless and toothless lately.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:42 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
We couldn’t have picked a worse time to meet either of these two sides who are both in their richest vein of form all season.
Portsmouth have won 7 of their last 8 games, and their only defeat was 1-0 at Coventry.
Meanwhile Coventry are also undefeated in their last 8 games with 6 wins and 2 draws at one at Fleetwood and the other v MK Dons.
We have another tough one two weeks later when we play another inform team chasing the play offs, Fleetwood, who are also 7 games undefeated including their most recent run of 4 straight wins.
It’s certainly not going to be easy Derek and we need to join these teams and get a decent run of results together because our current stop start form won’t get us there.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:37 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:42 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
We couldn’t have picked a worse time to meet either of these two sides who are both in their richest vein of form all season.
Portsmouth have won 7 of their last 8 games, and their only defeat was 1-0 at Coventry.
Meanwhile Coventry are also undefeated in their last 8 games with 6 wins and 2 draws at one at Fleetwood and the other v MK Dons.
We have another tough one two weeks later when we play another inform team chasing the play offs, Fleetwood, who are also 7 games undefeated including their most recent run of 4 straight wins.
It’s certainly not going to be easy Derek and we need to join these teams and get a decent run of results together because our current stop start form won’t get us there.
Assuming we can get at least 4 points in February against Oxford and Blackpool, March fixtures are looking season defining. If we’re in the playoff spots then, a victory over Fleetwood and draws v Cov and Pompey for example might be enough to keep us there. Victories might even take us higher, defeats almost certainly lower. If we have a good March, the run in in April and May looks straight-forward. All to play for and certainly not easy - time to see if we’re good enough.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:49 am

The way we have been playing, I think at least 4 points against Oxford & Blackpool is a very brave assumption to make.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:22 am

barmy billy wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:49 am
The way we have been playing, I think at least 4 points against Oxford & Blackpool is a very brave assumption to make.
Oh yeah, I wasn’t assuming we would, just looking at the importance of March if we do.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:32 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:22 am
barmy billy wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:49 am
Oh yeah, I wasn’t assuming we would, just looking at the importance of March if we do.
A crucial time as you say & hopefully we will come out of it smiling. I just wish I could be more optimistic.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:01 pm

More the worry for me is the dynamic form of some of the teams around us which if it continues demands us to raise our game to the same level. I can see Wycombe falling out of the Top 6 to create at least one space above us but we’ll have a fight on our hands with Fleetwood to fill that slot. This could make our game with Fleetwood on Tuesday 3 March season defining and if we win would take care of their current two games in hand.

This league may be sh*t, but it’s certainly not boring.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:49 pm

The good thing is Fleetwood still have to play Portsmouth & Rotherham at home and Sunderland, Portsmouth and ourselves away.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:00 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:01 pm
More the worry for me is the dynamic form of some of the teams around us which if it continues demands us to raise our game to the same level. I can see Wycombe falling out of the Top 6 to create at least one space above us but we’ll have a fight on our hands with Fleetwood to fill that slot. This could make our game with Fleetwood on Tuesday 3 March season defining and if we win would take care of their current two games in hand.

We must have the ability to beat Fleetwood since we beat them away already. It's a terrible league but it's funny that the longer it goes on the more the teams with some pedigree and decent support seem to be rising (Sunderland, Pompey, Cov). I'd very much count ourselves in that category of course and while neither we or anyone else has any right to do better because we're supposedly a bigger club, I'd hope we've got enough to see off Fleetwood.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:40 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:00 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:01 pm

We must have the ability to beat Fleetwood since we beat them away already. It's a terrible league but it's funny that the longer it goes on the more the teams with some pedigree and decent support seem to be rising (Sunderland, Pompey, Cov). I'd very much count ourselves in that category of course and while neither we or anyone else has any right to do better because we're supposedly a bigger club, I'd hope we've got enough to see off Fleetwood.
I’d hope so too Johnny but I thought the same last week about Wimbledon !

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:57 pm

Rotherham couldnt beat Wimbledon at home, it happens

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:43 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:57 pm

No Mike but we’re not discussing Rotherham, we’re talking about Fleetwood Town and they managed to win at Wimbledon just three days before our visit last Tuesday. Maybe we managed to restore their confidence ahead of their trip to Rotherham.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:12 pm

Just been choosing Prediction League fixtures for weekend 29 February and certainly some League One games look interesting.....

Burton Albion v Peterborough United

Doncaster Rovers v Wycombe Wanderers

Tranmere Rovers v Fleetwood Town

Coventry City v Sunderland

If we could win at Blackpool on the Saturday afternoon we’d do ourselves a huge favour whatever happens elsewhere.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:26 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:43 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:57 pm

No Mike but we’re not discussing Rotherham, we’re talking about Fleetwood Town and they managed to win at Wimbledon just three days before our visit last Tuesday. Maybe we managed to restore their confidence ahead of their trip to Rotherham.
Yeah I know, the point I was making was Rotherham probably thought they had enough about them to beat Wimbledon, this division is so full of surprises and upsets, plenty more to come too I reckon.