AFC Wimbledon vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we get back on track?

Wimbledon Win
31%
Ipswich Win
54%
Draw
15%

Total votes: 13

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: AFC Wimbledon vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:07 pm

It’s times like this when it’s fuckin painful being a Town fan. I really thought our age old problem of struggling to score would be a thing of the past in this poxy league.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:16 pm

Well that’s one goal scored in our last four games and that was a 1-4 home defeat at the hands of Peterborough who in their last four games have scored 14, f*ck me Ivan Toney has scored 5 on his own.

Surely with a name like Toney he should be playing for Town.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:26 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:16 pm
Well that’s one goal scored in our last four games and that was a 1-4 home defeat at the hands of Peterborough who in their last four games have scored 14, f*ck me Ivan Toney has scored 5 on his own.

Toney wouldn't agree to play for national minimum offered by our 'saviour marcus'.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:03 am

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:26 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:16 pm

Toney wouldn't agree to play for national minimum offered by our 'saviour marcus'.

To be honest Mach, within reason Toney will be able to name his price, 25 goals so far this season, that’s a goal every 120 mins. By comparison I think our team has scored 1 goal in the last 400 mins.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:04 am

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:46 pm
number 9 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:07 am
Charnwood wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:47 pm
If we’re going to stay in the promotion race we need three wins in our next four games v Wimbledon (A) , Burton Albion (H), Oxford United (H) and Blackpool (A), we have to believe this is possible and If it’s achieved we’re back in the hunt.

Anything less and we’re staring in the face of a slump into mid table mediocrity which would be painful for all of us given our positive start to the current campaign.

All is not lost yet, don’t give up guys.
Sorry Charny, but I can't see three wins from those games:

Wimbledon Draw
Burton Draw
Oxford Loss
Blackpool Loss

Well apart from Burton who’s form over the past five games equals our 6 points from a possible 15, the thee other teams all have worse form.
Oxford have 5/15, Wimbledon 4/15 and Blackpool 3/15 .....
Town have by far had the three most difficult fixtures in pointless games, Rotherham United, Peterborough United and Sunderland, all in the top 6 and all with the current best form in League One taking, 12, 15 & 10 points respectively from their last five games.
One down, three to go!

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:28 am

28 attempts at goal in the last 2 games with just 8 on target. :shock:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:30 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:54 pm
That was f**king woeful, just clueless, and I'm doing f**king Blackpool..... hmmmmmmm
If you can't beat sh*te then what hope do you have. There keeper made a couple of good saves Norwood missed a one on one AGAIN . Keane came on never one a header outer crap. If PL says we were brilliant and all that pish I will shoot the tw*t. Going up not a f**king chance. And what's worse my f**king Blackpool tickets turned up today. FFS. Noòooooooo. :xll

See you there :lol:

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:09 am

This result is deeply unsettling for me. Our success this season, if there is to be any, is based on the ability to consistently beat teams that are not in the top 8 or so and we have done this well so far. But with games starting to run out, we cannot afford any mercy for these teams and have to put them to the sword. It's (obviously) not enough to dominate games without winning them. Clearly any team can be unlucky on the night (I wonder how Wycombe feel?) and the keeper obviously played a blinder but how come there were no shots on target for the whole of the first half? Was it that hard to break them down?

I hope we are not having a crisis of confidence because this is not the time guys. Come on, start being ruthless......

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:47 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:09 am
This result is deeply unsettling for me. Our success this season, if there is to be any, is based on the ability to consistently beat teams that are not in the top 8 or so and we have done this well so far. But with games starting to run out, we cannot afford any mercy for these teams and have to put them to the sword. It's (obviously) not enough to dominate games without winning them. Clearly any team can be unlucky on the night (I wonder how Wycombe feel?) and the keeper obviously played a blinder but how come there were no shots on target for the whole of the first half? Was it that hard to break them down?

I hope we are not having a crisis of confidence because this is not the time guys. Come on, start being ruthless......
We hit the bar in the first half so not sure why that does not count as a shot on target :?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:48 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:09 am

I don’t think we’re now starting to have a crisis of confidence as things have been going pear-shaped since October. Confidence has been slowly ebbing away for a few months. We had a blip in January where we started to turn things around and put some wins against poor sides together, but a string of losses against decent sides put things into perspective.

As well as not being clinical enough, we’re not creating enough. Wimbledon were very poor. One goal would have been enough to win that one, but we need a lot of chances to score. And we don’t seem to have enough creativity in midfield to break teams down and create decent chances or we haven’t got enough muscle up front to bully defences if we go the long route. There’s some nice neat interplay at times, but it’s usually laboured and lacking in a cutting edge.
Trying to be positive, if we’ve still got a sniff of the play-offs then we should be thankful as we don’t deserve that based on performances over the last few months. Something has to click within our team bloody quick if we’re going to improve and I wouldn’t expect to look at the fixture list and expect easy three points from crappy sides.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:52 am

Managers instil confidence. So if that’s the issue, over to you Paul.

But not scoring in a million minutes could be down to the strikers being, plain and simple, sh*te. No amount of confidence building will sort that out.

You can get ONE game in 5 or 6 in lower league football where you can’t score due to the opposition themselves being stubborn and hard to beat, and can’t speak for everyone, but I expected this in League One with ITFC being “Cup Finals” for some.
BUT NOT every feckin game! Jaysus H, sort it out. Start scoring goals. Start opening up defences with some “on the deck” football, (If you’re all capable of course).
Start accumulating some points in this seasons run in.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:56 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:28 am
28 attempts at goal in the last 2 games with just 8 on target. :shock:
8 on target is not the real issue over the two games - its the not scoring with them!

Should have scored at least half of them if you look at other teams conversion rates which at the very least gets a win and a draw out of two away games.

Depressing.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:58 am

I think all we can do is be positive until there is zero chance of playoffs. We are all hurting about our form, our lack of goals, our inability to finish teams off, hell - we are all pretty much agreed that Evans isn't the greatest owner in the world!

But without keeping our hopes up, whats the point of posting on the forum, or go to matches, or say we support Town. Its a club we all love, we all cant change our support for another team, all we can do is keep supporting the team as much as possible and doing our bit to try and improve our fortunes. That's realistically all we can do... and I will continue to do that.

Lets look at some positives...… Despite a really sh*t run of form we are still in touching distance of the playoffs.. We have played most of the top teams in the league.... We have home matches to get behind the team and push them on... a few wins will make the whole league look different... there is still time for us to change things.... Our strikers WILL score goals at some point.... and... Its nearly Spring and it will be sunnier and warmer.

:D

Now over to Mach and Rossi to bring me down with a bump :mrgreen:

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:42 am

If we could actually score there is hope - more than hope really.

The top two teams are only 6 and 7 points away. At one point both were double digit points behind us when we were top.

However unlikely we might think it could be a run of 3 or 4 wins on the bounce and all is rosey again.

Off for a lie down with a damp flannel over the eyes after that outbreak of optimism :astroll:

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:26 am

See.... I am instilling optimism in even the most down beat fans :-)

Maybe its the coffee, maybe its the cocaine, maybe he's worth it, maybe its Maybelline ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:45 pm

Spot on with the first post Nic, you know what I was as pissed off as anyone last night but jesus christ the way people abandoned their club so flippanty is a joke, every bloody away game I stand there surrounded by fans and we all sing our "Every Saturday we follow" song numerous times, within that song is the line "And we'll support the Ipswich, if we're down or if we're up" f**king hypocritical arseholes a lot of them.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:22 pm

Was too busy to catch the game, caught score late on but too tired or bothered to comment. Skimming through a handful of replies appeared at first we had lost but a sports page confirmed it had finished without score. Felt obliged to view TWTD also but nothing new. Avalanche of 'first come first served' participants getting their shot in and well, you know how it is.

Tired of the promotion bullshit issue, people go on and on about the same subject but need to realize it ain't going to happen. We're an average team at best in an average league - perhaps mediocre would be better - and until certain individuals vacate their position nothing is going to change.

When or if Lambert steps aside - he won't be fired - just waiting on the next sub-standard appointment to take charge and with it, less than next to nothing in way of funds to spend. It's a mess and has been for considerable time. Once again forget the promotion sh*t, it's not going to occur and many require to realize that, move on.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:41 pm

To be honest guys it’s still more than possible for a team below us to come out of the pack, reach the play offs and win promotion by beating the third placed team in a Wembley final.

If that’s possible we shouldn’t be writing ourselves off yet, although I have to admit our form is absolutely dire.

Lambert is paid to sort that out not Evans, ME can do absolutely nothing between now and the end of the year, other than offer a huge incentive bonus to all the players and manager if we get promoted.

My only concern with that is Paul Lamberts role, because for me the guy doesn’t have an inspirational or motivational bone in his body, he couldn’t even motivate me to get out of bed in the morning, not even if the sun was shining and I was playing the best golf course in Spain. For me that’s a worry because these players need to believe promotion is still achievable, and they need to know what their individual and collective roles are to make it happen.

The fans have a job to do too, especially at Portman Road where they need to lift the players cos for sure PL isn’t going to do it. The last thing we need is for the fans to jump on the players backs, because that really will finish us off.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:04 pm

Isnt it strange that the man who "motivated" all of us to get back to Portman Road and support the team, suddenly seems unable to "motivate" the squad to play well and win.....

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:11 pm

Look at all you trying to stay positive!! :lol:

These players better start picking up 3pts at this crucial stage of the season. Watched a YouTube video of Norwood....... he can score goals. ......get your finger out, James and find that form again. Can’t stand a forum reading the word “hopefully” every other post. Just get it done you overpaid tw@ts.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:18 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:11 pm
Look at all you trying to stay positive!! :lol:

These players better start picking up 3pts at this crucial stage of the season. Watched a YouTube video of Norwood....... he can score goals. ......get your finger out, James and find that form again. Can’t stand a forum reading the word “hopefully” every other post. Just get it done you overpaid tw@ts.
I am blaming the medication...… I will soon see the light and start slagging off Mevans, Chambers, Lambert, Skuse, Norris et al...

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:27 pm

Nics , I’m defo 7 positive 3 negative on a ten scale.
But this form (in League One) coupled with lamberts pressers....... not feeling the positivity at the moment.
Even thumping a team won’t exactly cut it at the moment. We’d be wondering if it’s a fluke, or a bad day at the office for the other team.

Put some of these shots on target away, start winning, go on a run. Let the positive fans show the other fans WHY they’re so positive. Do it soon. Starting next game.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:49 pm

I agree with all of that Marko...… our biggest problem, and it has been all season (and last in fairness) is scoring goals! Ive said it, you've said it, even PL has said it. He bought Norwood to score goals (and he has at least a good pedigree) , but after his injury the goals have dried up. We all thought that Jackson would be able to cut it in league one... but hes been sporadic at best, Keane SHOULD cut it at this level, but he is intermittent, Sears is only just back from injury, Bishop is a walking sick note, Judge has surprised us all with his lack of quality at this level....

What I am getting at, is that its not for lack of trying, and given the level we are at, we should be scoring more goals with the players listed above. Its THEIR Fault as far as I can tell? You can say PL needs to "inspire" them to score goals, but ultimately they should be putting the ball in the ole onion sack.....

:-)

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:14 pm

Looking at Norwood last night he seemed 'leaner' to me than the start of the season.

He was scoring then and isn't now.

Has he stopped going to Greggs?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:47 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:49 pm
Its THEIR Fault as far as I can tell? You can say PL needs to "inspire" them to score goals, but ultimately they should be putting the ball in the ole onion sack...
Exactly!! I didn’t need the coach to inspire me to score goals FFS! I’m done blaming the managers. We can’t keep changing the manager. The players need to play for the shirt! At the moment, I think it’s fair to say this is the worst team in the history of ITFC! If that doesn’t motivate them to win, how the f*ck will Lambert do it!?

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:55 pm

:roll: The reason we are not scoring goals is because we don't have someone like Daryl Murphy, who not only could get goals, but could hold up and lay off the ball to other players in and around the box area, we have sorely missed Daryl since he moved to Forrest, thank you Hurst for that awful decision. so I think we will struggle without a recognised tall hold up player of Daryl's calibre. I think Norwood would definitely have benefitted with Daryl along side him, similar to the Ted Phillips Ray Crawford partnership, Ted would send in a thunderbolt shot the keeper would struggle to hold and Ray would clean up. simple but Bloody effective.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:14 pm

I don't think anyone in their right mind would have turned down 3.2 Million for Murphy at his age tbh.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:37 pm

TODD66 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:14 pm
Looking at Norwood last night he seemed 'leaner' to me than the start of the season.

Has he stopped going to Greggs?
Good to know he's looking leaner. Maybe Lambert saw that photo posted in the TWTD the other week and suggested cutting back on the steak bakes.

How serious was Norwoods injury this season? Because now I feel i'm being harsh on the bloke. Sort of forgot he'd been injured.

Who can I pick on now? Mike has Sears covered........, JACKSON......, FKN GET SCORIN'!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:52 pm

Super Kayden, 10 goals and 6 assists.....MVP.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:37 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:04 pm
Isnt it strange that the man who "motivated" all of us to get back to Portman Road and support the team, suddenly seems unable to "motivate" the squad to play well and win.....

After years of Mick McCarthy fighting with the fans Lambert winning us guys over was a piece of p*ss, to a certain extent even Paul Hurst achieved that much. Motivating professional footballers at every level is something completely different and requires very different skills and competencies which is where I see Paul Lambert lacking, surely you only have to listen to him in interviews to realise his shortcomings. “Motivation / Inspiration” .... what the f*ck is that

I watched a sports interview recently, I can’t remember the interviewers name but his guests were Jurgen Klopp and Arsene Wenger and they were talking about how football managers roles had changed over the past few years with the advent of Directors of Football etc and full time Executive Directors. Basically they concluded that their jobs now fell into two distinct categories, One was dealing with the media and press conferences etc which they both thought was a distraction from their main objective. The second and most important was and I quote, “getting more out of players than they thought they were capable of” and this differentiated the winners from the also fans,......and this is where I see Paul Lambert’s shortcomings. As for as I’m concerned he doesn’t even get out of his players what they are capable of, let alone get more.

I still think we have a decent squad for a League One and if Lambert could achieve what Klopp & Wenger alluded to, we wouldn’t be struggling to stay in the top 6 through to the end of the season.