Tommy Smith

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Kerry Blue

Tommy Smith

Post by Kerry Blue » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:00 pm

Tommy has signed for Sunderland, wish him well as long as they don't finish above Town. :blush:

nicscreamer

Re: Tommy Smith

Post by nicscreamer » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:07 pm

I don’t see this as a problem or missed opportunity. Earl has more potential in my opinion and we need strikers not another defender. Good luck to him, but no too much luck lol

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:22 pm

Agent Smith. Dodgy back pass here and there ......

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:25 pm

Yeah, he's sh*t. But good luck to him, its only a game.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:57 pm

sh*te doesn't come close lol

Djonesjax

Post by Djonesjax » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:32 am

He scored goals which we are missing from the back. Other than that I'm 50/50 on him. He let the ball bounce in front of him too frequently and that bounce was rarely kind.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:36 am

He did score goals, I'll give you that and you are spot on with the bouncing ball thing, it was a big weakness of his.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:41 am

Djonesjax wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:32 am
He scored goals which we are missing from the back. Other than that I'm 50/50 on him. He let the ball bounce in front of him too frequently and that bounce was rarely kind.
Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for posting.

Cheers Dave

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:09 am

Djonesjax wrote:
Absolutely. I always thought it was a basic rule of defending, don't let it bounce. Probably Smith's biggest weakness. But as you say, he was a regular scorer.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:55 am

Andym wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:09 am
Djonesjax wrote:
Absolutely. I always thought it was a basic rule of defending, don't let it bounce. Probably Smith's biggest weakness. But as you say, he was a regular scorer.
I can understand why we didn’t go in for him. Smith’s biggest plus was he scored from set-pieces ( not to be taken lightly), but he wasn’t comfortable on the ball and had a mistake in him. Seeing Earl last week, he looked comfortable on the ball and may offer more than Wilson, who tended to lump it up the field or who kicked it out into touch too often.
I think we’re worried more that Smith joining a rival could bite us on the bum than missing out on a good player.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:22 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:55 am
Andym wrote:
Djonesjax wrote:
I can understand why we didn’t go in for him. Smith’s biggest plus was he scored from set-pieces ( not to be taken lightly), but he wasn’t comfortable on the ball and had a mistake in him. Seeing Earl last week, he looked comfortable on the ball and may offer more than Wilson, who tended to lump it up the field or who kicked it out into touch too often.
I think we’re worried more that Smith joining a rival could bite us on the bum than missing out on a good player.
Dead right Tang, this is a bit from my preview thoughts.....
I think the arrival of Josh Earl has also seen a improvement in Town's rearguard, no disrespect to James Wilson who by and large has done ok Earl has that extra bit of quality and composure on the ball, he looks to use it and bring others into play where as Wilson is more in the Alan Hunter mould of finding row Z or launching down field without looking up.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:46 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:22 am
tangfastic wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:55 am
Andym wrote:

Dead right Tang, this is a bit from my preview thoughts.....
I think the arrival of Josh Earl has also seen a improvement in Town's rearguard, no disrespect to James Wilson who by and large has done ok Earl has that extra bit of quality and composure on the ball, he looks to use it and bring others into play where as Wilson is more in the Alan Hunter mould of finding row Z or launching down field without looking up.

Anyone in the Alan Hunter mould is good enough for me. In my opinion Hunter was one of our all time best centre half’s.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:12 pm

No argument there but he was no nonsense and more suited to the hoofing game of Wilson than the more composed play of Earl.