Ipswich Town vs Oxford United Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we back up last weeks result?

Ipswich Win
50%
Oxford Win
22%
Draw
28%

Total votes: 18

number 9

Re: Ipswich Town vs Oxford United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:37 pm

Rubbish! We had a chance to build on the Burton game, but as usual we dropped the ball. I honestly thought we’d turned a corner after the Burton game. We haven’t turned any bloody corners though! Same shyte, different day. Well at least all those fans who say it isn’t boring will be happy next season. Thanks Evans for saving us!

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:00 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:11 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:34 pm
MasseyFerguson wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:59 pm
Yet again, when we face a team in the upper half of the table we just can't seem to get anything from the game.

Automatic promotion is now almost definitely out of our reach while playoffs are looking increasingly unlikely. Even if we do make the playoffs I can't see us coming through.

Who would be a football fan? Another weekend where the cat better hide.

Our performances against “Top half of the table teams” highlights how poor we really are. In our 7 home games against these top half teams they’ve walked away with 17 of the 21 available points with us picking up just 4 points from draws with Wycombe Wanderers, Sunderland, Gillingham and Doncaster Rovers. Incredibly not a single win.

In 8 away games against Top half of the table teams we’ve fared marginally better with wins at Fleetwood and Gillingham, but the remaining 6 games have been shared equally between draws and defeats.

In total we’ve taken just 13 points from the 45 points up for grabs in these games.
It’s a sobering result today but, in the context in which you put it, sadly no surprise. We hoped we might build on the Burton game and seize the moment but now with Jackson and Norwood missing too, it looks unlikely.

I don’t know if it’s the manager or the players but there seems to be a fundamental lack of determination somewhere - we’re just not tough enough or awkward enough to grind out results. When things are going well there’s some skill and flair, but when things go wrong, no belief, mental toughness and refusal to accept defeat. Somehow that will need to change if we’re going to force our way out of this division.
Nailed it there mate... exactly how it is in your second paragraph

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:30 am

:roll: I was one of those who voted an Oxford win, sorry but its all just as I thought it would turn out. As soon as we needed a crucial home win we were found out yet again wanting, we haven't got the will to win just like last season, we so desperately needed an experienced front man to hold up and lay off high balls into the box area, and when Daryl got sold the writing was on the wall, with a inept bunch of div 2 / 1 strikers brought in by Hurst we were absolutely screwed. So until we regroup and rebuild a team that will smash this league, and can definitely hold their own in the championship, then the proper rebuilding can commence. BUT we have one BIG problem our Owner has lost the bottle to invest wisely with a manager who knows the quality players required to complete the rebuilding job. sorry Marcus the only thing your willing to do is sell our best players, pocket the cash and never reinvest. so once you have achieved your destruction programme of our beloved club, and we end up in either Div 2 or God forbid Non league. you can then walk away with your head held high as achieving the best destruction of a football club of which you surely have no interest whatsoever.

5 Year plan my arse :twisted:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:59 am

Careful Ash, you might get banned! :astroll:

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:06 am

number 9 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:59 am
That’s really helpful..... cheers!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:35 am

Frosty wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:06 am
number 9 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:59 am
That’s really helpful..... cheers!
Sorry Frosty, I just disagree with your recent actions. I’m not trying to create divisions, but after what’s been happening to our club since Evans took over I feel every fan deserves the right to express their opinions.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:53 am

I can promise you there has been careful consideration for some time mate, however I respect that not everyone may agree with the decision.

In regards to the Evans debate, I’ve got no issue with people’s views or passion, but recently there’s been a lot of nasty undertones that have not been related to a genuine football discussion.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:59 am

Hi Frosty: sorry mate but can you enlighten me as to what these undertones by banning for 30 days Mach and Dell boy are, :shock: I have read some of their recent banter and cant for the life of me see what's wrong with their answers to certain questions, :roll: perhaps I'm being a bit thick and not understanding some of the rules and regulations, so if you don't want to blurt it out on here please pm me.

Hi Frosty my apologies for even asking about Mach & Dell boy, I've gone back and scooted through a tidy few sections of comments from both the guys, and I can see where you are coming from with personnel insults, and rightly banned, so please forgive me for questioning your actions.

But on another point when I make comments on a subjects and gets a snide remarks back, its not only belittling but kind of hurts as well :cry: , these are sarcastic and unwanted remarks from a certain person on here, who likes to take a pop at my comments as if they know better than myself, I've followed Ipswich Town since the early 50's long before some on here were out of diapers.
I must admit I do like to have the occasional little swear up :oops: . But I try not to put snide remarks against anyone's input answers, so if you can spot when these comments come to the fore, and either delete or caution the said person I would be grateful.
I will never hold a grudge against any fan on here. just a shake hands an apology and buy a pint on a future meet up, then all forgotten.

Ta Ash
Last edited by ashfordblue on Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:12 am

Caption 1:

Derick the Bull turns adversity to his advantage dressed as a 30 day aged beef.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:54 am

I'm not surprised at the suspensions. I think the decision is an appropriate response to the situation.

We are all passionate fans and this forum gives us the opportunity to express ourselves in a forthright manner. Giving vent to passionate views on how the club is doing is acceptable, indeed, welcome. Indulging in personal abuse of other contributors to the forum is not. The suspensions have been imposed because the number of abusive messages had started to get out of hand with a couple of contributors. A cooling off period is a good thing.

I do hope that each of them will come back and continue to post here. When not attacking individuals, their posts are often interesting and thought provoking.

I know I'm a relative newcomer here, but I really value this forum. I would hate to see it deteriorate.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:11 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:54 am
I'm not surprised at the suspensions. I think the decision is an appropriate response to the situation.

We are all passionate fans and this forum gives us the opportunity to express ourselves in a forthright manner. Giving vent to passionate views on how the club is doing is acceptable, indeed, welcome. Indulging in personal abuse of other contributors to the forum is not. The suspensions have been imposed because the number of abusive messages had started to get out of hand with a couple of contributors. A cooling off period is a good thing.

I do hope that each of them will come back and continue to post here. When not attacking individuals, their posts are often interesting and thought provoking.

I know I'm a relative newcomer here, but I really value this forum. I would hate to see it deteriorate.
I agree with all of that. Differences of opinions are inevitable and a good thing on a forum. But swearing T others or insulting them...i don't understand. I'd do it in a pub in a heated argument. But all you have to is pause and think before pressing submit. Insulting on any forum is, in my opinion, unnecessary and drags the forum down. Every single time.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:17 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:59 am
Hi Frosty: sorry mate but can you enlighten me as to what these undertones by banning for 30 days Mach and Dell boy are, :shock: I have read some of their recent banter and cant for the life of me see what's wrong with their answers to certain questions, :roll: perhaps I'm being a bit thick and not understanding some of the rules and regulations, so if you don't want to blurt it out on here please pm me.

It’s not for me to decide, but I don’t think the management of the forum should be debated in public, neither should Frosty be expected to explain his and the managements teams decision which has been taken in the best interests of the forum. Frosty invests a lot of personal money and time to keep this site up and running and does a very good job. We should all respect this and appreciate his efforts.

Why yesterday’s match day thread has to be hijacked to stir up emotions beggars belief. If there’s anyone who can’t manage this I suggest you do “a Hallam” and take a self imposed break until the team start winning again and you don’t feel the need to take frustrations out on others.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:23 pm

Agree entirely, the fact Frosty has given these individuals so much time to calm it down speaks volumes, he has been very tolerant and patient, at the end of the day he was left with zero choice and I 1000% agree with the stance, a lot of us, myself included have been guilty of over stepping the mark at times but these Two were getting to be serial offenders virtually every post and as Charnwood says it needs no debate on here and Frosty/ Mods certainly don't have to explain the decision to anyone.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:03 pm

:lol: :lol: Reminds me of when we used to get a wack side the ear as kids, when we asked why, mum or dad would say its a reminder of that's just in case you do :shock: no wonder us war kids had ears like wing nuts :lol: :lol:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:18 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:17 pm
ashfordblue wrote:

It’s not for me to decide, but I don’t think the management of the forum should be debated in public, neither should Frosty be expected to explain his and the managements teams decision which has been taken in the best interests of the forum. Frosty invests a lot of personal money and time to keep this site up and running and does a very good job. We should all respect this and appreciate his efforts.

Why yesterday’s match day thread has to be hijacked to stir up emotions beggars belief. If there’s anyone who can’t manage this I suggest you do “a Hallam” and take a self imposed break until the team start winning again and you don’t feel the need to take frustrations out on others.
Take a self imposed break Charners???? until we start winning again :shock: sorry buddy i cant wait that long, different if the weather was a bit better I could go out on the golf course and beat absolute F**K out of the ball, and have a bloody good moan to boot, but as its been sh*t raining gale force winds weather down here on Romney Marsh with wind of 40 to 50 MPH and the course flooded. I have to be content with moaning on here, :roll: I would much prefer spending time trying to get my handicap down to single figures, but like Ipswich's next win that could take some time :lol: :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:03 pm

Charnwood wrote:
ashfordblue wrote:

Don't forget Mr Charnwood, you recently told a forum member to f*ck off in public. I thought Frosty's response to my question was classy and acceptable.
I agree it's Frosty's prerogative to manage the forum as he sees fit, but I think we need to be careful of creating a dystopian atmosphere that may indeed scare a few others away.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:54 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:03 pm
Charnwood wrote:
ashfordblue wrote:

Don't forget Mr Charnwood, you recently told a forum member to f*ck off in public. I thought Frosty's response to my question was classy and acceptable.
I agree it's Frosty's prerogative to manage the forum as he sees fit, but I think we need to be careful of creating a dystopian atmosphere that may indeed scare a few others away.
It's a difficult one and I am in two minds, but on balance a decision I disagree with. I wonder if both miscreants were given a warning via pm first as I think that would have been a better way to handle it?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:07 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:18 pm
Charnwood wrote:
ashfordblue wrote:

Take a self imposed break Charners???? until we start winning again :shock: sorry buddy i cant wait that long, different if the weather was a bit better I could go out on the golf course and beat absolute F**K out of the ball, and have a bloody good moan to boot, but as its been sh*t raining gale force winds weather down here on Romney Marsh with wind of 40 to 50 MPH and the course flooded. I have to be content with moaning on here, :roll: I would much prefer spending time trying to get my handicap down to single figures, but like Ipswich's next win that could take some time :lol: :lol:

If it’s any consolation Ash since Storm Gloria passed through four or five weeks ago causing so much devastation we’ve had fabulous weather with non stop sunshine but my handicap hasn’t changed. ☹️

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:03 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:03 pm
Charnwood wrote:
ashfordblue wrote:

Frosty is far more classy than me Number 9 which is another good reason why it’s so wrong he should be expected to tolerate some of the disrespectful crap that’s been posted on here recently by a small group intent solely on provoking argument.

Yes I was wrong to tell Mach to FO and yes it wasn’t classy, but neither am I. I did remove the offending words quickly and apologised to Mach, I also offered my resignation as a Moderator.

I’m pleased you agree it’s Frosty s prerogative to run the forum as he sees fit but I don’t see the necessity for any further advice.

Maybe we could move on and stick to football chat etc.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:30 pm

Picture 1:

Caption 1 - AylesburyBlue dresses up and throws party following the breaking news of derricks 30 day suspension.

Caption 2 - Live look in at the monster raving looney party conference

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:37 pm

I have had my wrists slapped before and so I have zero doubt Mach and derick has there’s slapped on numerous occasions. I will happy fight fire with fire when it comes to bad language and personal attacks, however someone members aren’t like that, gold and black for example suffers in necessary abuse every week.

The forum is run well and takes a lot of time. If others want it to be run different please feel free to fund it...... Frosty has a thankless task that has been made even more difficult by all of us being rather upset as pissed off by our clubs recent plight.

Back to the game....... Bloody woeful. I really don’t want lambert here next season. Klug for manager......

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:33 pm

Hey guys, I knew this decision wouldn't sit comfortably with everyone.

I have veered in my mind for sometime now between letting things run and a harder stance. (like the forum was run in the past)

The decision was not made over an isolated comment/thread but over a period of time (basically starting last August) where the environment on this forum has been in decline in my (and others) opinion.

When people message me that they have had enough, or they no longer feel comfortable posting I really need to do something.

It's a fine line, as let's not forget this is a football forum and passions run deep, which is what discussion about the club is all about. However, for some time now I have noticed posts getting more aggressive or being turned into major events due to what I consider basically subtle trolling for reaction.

It's not cool to log on and worry about what you may walk into as this forum. Regardless of who runs this site it, it should be for enjoyment, measured debate and as part of the overall Town experience through thick and thin.

History will judge me (usually unkindly in these situations :wink: ) but I want to see if over the next 30 days it makes any difference to the mix of posters and the tone within threads.

cheers Dave

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:06 pm

Thanks for the hard work and hard decisions you have to make as always Dave. Just out of interest is there a suspension option open to you, as in a month or two month ban? Might help keeping on top of things without the drama of a full ban.

I try to stay out of things as much as possible, but also really want to help the atmosphere around here when I can. We're all part of the same family, and while families argue they should realise that the thing that joins us is far more significant than the fleeting opinions that occasionally divide us.

For what it's worth I think Frosty has done an amazing job, he's far more patient than I think I would be able to be and when both parties in an argument are being prats, it must be hard steering a fair line. Its an impossible, thankless task and the man deserves the highest praise, it baffles me that anyone could hold a different view to that.

In my opinion parties involved have been given so so much warning, and even more behind closed doors I'm sure, they cannot blame others for what has happened. It is a real shame because they have an opinion I can really sympathise with and even agree with on occasion, but it has to be put across in an acceptable manner, that is where they have failed themselves, Dave is not picking on and suppressing opionions he dissagrees with, he's cracking down on people hell bent on creating a poisonous environment.

There are a hell of a lot of great voices on this forum, it is why I visit here and nowhere else. I implore you all to post more and help the overriding voice on here be one of reasoned opinion and help suppress seething anger and unbridled emotion which is all that is left in its absence.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:15 pm

Amen

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:25 pm

Thanks for posting Ricco,

It is a 30 day suspension, in theory the board software removes the suspension after a month has lapsed.

I will diarise just in case 'Hal' has it's own opinion. :wink:

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:31 pm

ashfordblue wrote:

But on another point when I make comments on a subjects and gets a snide remarks back, its not only belittling but kind of hurts as well :cry: , these are sarcastic and unwanted remarks from a certain person on here, who likes to take a pop at my comments as if they know better than myself, I've followed Ipswich Town since the early 50's long before some on here were out of diapers.
I must admit I do like to have the occasional little swear up :oops: . But I try not to put snide remarks against anyone's input answers, so if you can spot when these comments come to the fore, and either delete or caution the said person I would be grateful.
I will never hold a grudge against any fan on here. just a shake hands an apology and buy a pint on a future meet up, then all forgotten.

Ta Ash
I will always do my best to try and be balanced Ash, as I refferred to earlier, I equally don't want to become Orwellian with moderation if it can be avoided.

Cheers Dave

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:38 pm

I think on a day where both dystopian and Orwellian have been used to describe a football forum, I think that’s a marker for everyone to move forward with some football chat.
I don’t know..... everybody meet in the Tommy thread, remember how sh*t he was?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:51 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:38 pm
I think on a day where both dystopian and Orwellian have been used to describe a football forum, I think that’s a marker for everyone to move forward with some football chat.
I don’t know..... everybody meet in the Tommy thread, remember how sh*t he was?
Just relieved we don’t have to play Sunderland again. You could almost see the Headlines, “Smith returns to Portman Road to seal three points for The Black Cats with a towering header in added time”....

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:14 am

I think the real cure for moving on is for ITFC to start consistently winning and get promoted. We can blame many people: Evans, Lambert, the players for our current position. The solution is to fuckin win! I’m not going to settle for mid table in League 1! I’m not gonna be positive and accept we’re at our financial level. f*ck that! Yes real fans stick with their team during the ups & downs...well it’s all been fuckin down for 20 years! It comes down to the players people...they need to step up and reward those 20,000 gates. It’s disrespectful! Play for the shirt and play for Bobby Robson you useless c*cks!
Last edited by number 9 on Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ando

Post by Ando » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:03 am

Caption 1 Tyson fury arrives all bullish for his post match press conference”

Caption 2 “ I know I should not have had the mutton vindaloo”

Caption 2 “blow the whistle ref I’m busting, there’s already enough sh*t on the pitch”