Back room staff

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Frosty
Forum Owner

Back room staff

Post by Frosty » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:06 pm

Putting aside the manager and owner for a moment, just how good are our back room staff in people’s opinions?

The main reason I ask, is why is a player like Dozzell deemed good enough for English age group selection but from what I can tell he hasn’t kicked on at all since he debuted a few years ago?

Also, players have left here and gone onto a higher level such as Delaney for example who from memory wasn’t rated that highly when he was with us.

I think of a player we had for a couple of months a few years ago, Chris Wood (whose career I have followed), he was sh*t with us but is now an ok as a PL striker.

I am sure there are countless other players that could come into this conversation.

This season we apparently have one of the better squads in the division, obviously this is open to debate, but we can’t seem to get the best out of them.

Makes me wonder how good the overall development structure of the club is.

Andym

Re: Back room staff

Post by Andym » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:24 pm

A good question and one I guess many of us have asked ourselves. I think there are many answers, sone based on tactics and others on individual skills.

For years I got frustrated that our defensive coaches seemed to want to play a very narrow back 4. We would always wait for opposition wingers to get the ball, control it, make a cup of tea and drink it before thinking about closing him down. That has improved a bit now though.

Regarding the three examples you quote, j think there are 3 different explanations. Dozzell I feel sure would have pushed on more if not for the injury. I still rate him and on his rare recent outings he looks to have overcome the psychological problems that can follow a nasty injury. His personal fitness regime May be ought to include some muscle building to make him physically stronger but I'd be happy to see him start.

Delaney wasn't the greatest player but I think suffered from having the fans on his back. Keane signed him and played him as a full back, something he was clearly not capable of. After that he was always criticised. Can't remember who played alongside him but I think at centre back the combination is almost as important as individual ability.

Chris Wood never really had a big enough chance. And any striker at Ipswich in the last 10 years probably feel a it's the lack of service that limits their chances. On a side note, I was thinking about our recent fixtures, turning a 1-0 deficit to. 4-1 victory and the same team a week later turning a 1-0 deficit to... .errr..... a 1-0 deficit. What was different? Obviously the timing of the goal. And we made all the chances on Saturday before conceding rather than after. But despite a lot if negativity sbout the result, we dominated for 44 minutes. The real difference I think was that on the victory we had midfielders supporting high up the firld. When Keane failed to get his shot in, Judge was there to score. That sort of thing. Didn't happen on Saturday so much. It looked like we might have turned the corner a few weeks ago when we started getting the whole term further forward. But that stopped on Saturday. So tactics many a part and I think that might have been the case with Wood, a lack of support or decent opportunities created.

A long answer to a short question. Could be support staff, playing style or formation, injury or s general lack of quality.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:14 pm

Not sure if you include Scouts as the back room staff, but the staff recruiting players must have a helluva time finding prospects within Evan's budget. Obviously, the manager has a lot of input in this department...but I'm sure Lambert relies on others to do the research. Two brilliant examples of the type of recruitment I'm referring to, are the additions of Norwood and KVY. Unfortunately both players have dealt with injuries, but for me they are exactly the type of players that fit within in our financial constraints. Further, I'm assuming Klug advises the manager when a youth player is ready for first team action. I'm surprised Dobra, El Mizouni, a Folami haven't been given more chances. I know there are other commitments now for Folami and El Mizouni, but I wonder if their presence would have helped since we've been on such a downward spiral with the current first team. I didn't realize Brighton had put in a bid for Dobra during the January window. If he's good enough for a premier league club, why isn't he in our first team??

Does anyone have an opinion on the three players mentioned? Are they where they belong, or should we be seeing more of them?

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:08 pm

The real difference I think was that on the victory we had midfielders supporting high up the firld. When Keane failed to get his shot in, Judge was there to score. That sort of thing. Didn't happen on Saturday so much. It looked like we might have turned the corner a few weeks ago when we started getting the whole term further forward

Only having the benefit of watching the highlights this season, this is one area which is really noticable Andy.

The amount of times I have watched the striker having to take a one on one shot because of no support player has undoubtably cost us goals this season.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:08 pm

Frosty wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:08 pm
The real difference I think was that on the victory we had midfielders supporting high up the firld. When Keane failed to get his shot in, Judge was there to score. That sort of thing. Didn't happen on Saturday so much. It looked like we might have turned the corner a few weeks ago when we started getting the whole term further forward

Only having the benefit of watching the highlights this season, this is one area which is really noticable Andy.

The amount of times I have watched the striker having to take a one on one shot because of no support player has undoubtably cost us goals this season.
I'd say the last 10 seasons.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:24 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:14 pm
Not sure if you include Scouts as the back room staff, but the staff recruiting players must have a helluva time finding prospects within Evan's budget. Obviously, the manager has a lot of input in this department...but I'm sure Lambert relies on others to do the research. Two brilliant examples of the type of recruitment I'm referring to, are the additions of Norwood and KVY. Unfortunately both players have dealt with injuries, but for me they are exactly the type of players that fit within in our financial constraints. Further, I'm assuming Klug advises the manager when a youth player is ready for first team action. I'm surprised Dobra, El Mizouni, a Folami haven't been given more chances. I know there are other commitments now for Folami and El Mizouni, but I wonder if their presence would have helped since we've been on such a downward spiral with the current first team. I didn't realize Brighton had put in a bid for Dobra during the January window. If he's good enough for a premier league club, why isn't he in our first team??

Does anyone have an opinion on the three players mentioned? Are they where they belong, or should we be seeing more of them?
For me all three of Dobra, El Mizouni and Folami are potential first teamers at this level, El Mizouni is the most advanced and nearest I would say, some of his cameos a while back really impressed me but he's out on loan now and with any luck it will serve him well as it did with Downes and Woolfy. Folami had a really nasty injury and it's put him back a bit, that said he's pretty much back now but without that injury I feel he would have been around the first team squad. Dobra is a real talent, hence the cheeky bid from Brighton, maybe this season was a bit soon but expect him to be unleashed next season.