Laugh or get angry

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

ipswichtownNo1

Laugh or get angry

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:42 pm

AzzurroMark

Re: Laugh or get angry

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:15 pm

While results and performances, at times, have suggested that we will be lucky to finish top 6, especially when coupled with a number of other teams' form. Can you imagine the effect of a manager saying "nah, while we can mathematically gain an automatic spot, we don't think it is possible. In fact the play offs look increasing out of reach too, so we'll settle for where we are now"! NO manager will ever say that and no supporters would want to hear it.
I know PL does run on at times, but what is the guy supposed to do when, no doubt, asked questions by a media wanting to fill column inches?
Nothing is decided yet, and who knows, quite often a team makes a late dash for the play offs (or higher), and (yes, it looks like an increasingly up hill battle) who knows that by twist of fate or a bit of luck that that team couldn't be ITFC. A few wins and who knows where momentum could take us?
#keepdreamingkeepbelieving

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:43 pm

I would hate him to say anything else tbh

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:04 pm

I just wish he would make the players believe it’s still possible.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:01 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:43 pm
Absolutely spot on. He needs to be quiet now and let the Ipswich Town fans see his "theories" put into physical practice on the pitch.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:40 pm

:roll: I hate to say this, BUT back in January I said by the end of February we would be in 10th place in this division, and with the remaining games left I can only see a limited number of possible wins, the chance of playoffs at the moment I think is absolute zilch, we are a club in freefall as like last season in the championship, we might be having to playing a few teams lower in the league, but they are fighting for survival, and wont be no pushovers, and our home form is diabolical, we wont get relegated that's for sure, but we wont get to the playoffs either, so another stalemate season ahead, and to make matters even worse will be come end of season. We will lose at least six of our better players maybe more, and we certainly wont buy or replace with any decent replacements, as we know what our owners views are on spending his money. I would love to be proved wrong but its a very slim chance I'm afraid.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:31 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:43 pm
So i take it you start all your discussions about ipswich with " we can still make the top two". Now obviously i know you dont, and any other town supporter knows this wont happen, the whole football world knows it wont happen. So why should we put up with lambert spouting sh*te. Be honest man, tell it like it is, maybe stop trying to protect so called professional footballers feelings and let them have it both barrels. These are grown men ffs

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:06 pm

No I don't and have no idea why you think that. What I do want is a manager who despite everything keeps a positive outlook, only a fool would want him to say we are sh*te or the seasons done now but each to their own.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:09 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:06 pm
No I don't and have no idea why you think that. What I do want is a manager who despite everything keeps a positive outlook, only a fool would want him to say we are sh*te or the seasons done now but each to their own.
I wish he would say we were sh*te.... might speed up his sacking.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:15 pm

I think people need to accept that at the very least he is going to be given next season, I believe that to be fact.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:51 am

I just cannot believe that he’s so poor at getting the best out of his players. That’s what a manager’s job is and that’s what he’s paid to do.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:58 am

It don't take much to get angry and didn't find much humor it. What was it, Lambert insists a top two finish is still possible.

It's feasible but unlikely. Lambert trying to instil confidence or evade concern, I don't know. Hardly going to make a statement that we're by and large a poor team or he's performing to ineffective standard. Promotion in all truth won't happen, you got to realize where we're at. Nothing wrong with keeping faith but realistically these are false pretensions. Someone once said it's never too late until the last minute but this particular endeavor would seem to have run it's course.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:27 am

I'm 100% of the opinion its League One again next season but PL clearly can't say it.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:52 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:15 pm
I think people need to accept that at the very least he is going to be given next season, I believe that to be fact.
I’m neither laughing or angry - just disillusioned.

If Lambert is going to be given next season - then he’s got to give us something to believe in him and the club for the future.

He’s did a very good job with the PR last season - and it was needed - but I can’t see the fans swallowing the same PR drive again. The work now has to be done on the pitch. I can’t see where we’ve built anything. Since October we’ve gone steadily downhill. The players look downbeat and devoid of confidence and there’s that feeling of doom. We miss a great chance to get a late win and then concede straight away. I couldn’t say I was surprised.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Lambert leaves as we need to sell season tickets. I’m not sure he’s got anywhere to go with inspiring fans to buy season tickets for next season. The PR drive needed to be backed up by results and performances. Unless we can stumble on some late season form.
ATM .... we look like we need to overhaul the squad and it won’t be easy to generate much cash from this squad, apart from Downes and Woolf, who are really the ones we need to keep to build a team.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:27 am

Yeah, it’s a viscous circle Tang. Good post.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:53 am

I've already resigned myself to a second season in this division and a small part of me is ok with that on the basis that we do a massive clear out of those who have ultimately failed us this season.

I would happily take that knowing we were going into it with the likes of Bishop, Lankester, Dobra, Dozzell, El Mizouni, Morris, Simpson etc all playing regularly, backed up by a few more senior players (Holy, Garbutt, Huws, Norwood, Jackson ) but finally saying goodbye to the likes of Judge, Nolan, Sears, Skuse, Edward's, Chambers etc, to be replaced with a few new faces, will it happen though, very doubtful.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:31 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:53 am
I've already resigned myself to a second season in this division are a small part of me is ok with that on the basis that we do a massive clear out of those who have ultimately failed us this season.

I would happily take that knowing we were going into it with the likes of Bishop, Lankester, Dobra, Dozzell, El Mizouni, Morris, Simpson etc all playing regularly, backed up by a few more senior players (Holy, Garbutt, Huws, Norwood, Jackson ) but finally saying goodbye to the likes of Judge, Nolan, Sears, Skuse, Edward's, Chambers etc, to be replaced with a few new faces, will it happen though, very doubtful.
I’m surprised you put Chambers on that “out” list, Mike. I don’t blame Chambers and in many games he’s done well, but I would like to see a new skipper to perhaps take a stronger grip of the changing room. The senior players, in particular, have let us down. Not enough fight and we’re such a soft touch.
Lambert keeps on saying we’re a young team, which is simply not true. From the youngsters, we've only really used Woolf and Downes regularly throughout the season and they’re not the problem.
I can’t see a natural successor to Chambers as captain within the squad (only Downes .. and I think he’ll be gone this summer).
Only last week, it was mentioned that new contracts were being put on hold because it looks now that promotion is slipping away. At least, there’s a chance to get rid of deadwood, but then again it’s yet another rebuild on a stricter budget.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:36 am

I am surprised i've put him on the list too, to be fair he's done well this season for the most part but the fans, or at least a lot of them, don't see it and it will only generate unrest among them should he stay as a first team regular again, I think the time is now to see him phased out so maybe that back seat role that has been spoken about needs to start now. Downes is the natural successor but there is zero chance he will be here next August, it won't happen. I think if we were able to keep Garbutt he could possibly be skipper material but as you say, who else !!!

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:03 pm

Laugh or get angry, Hmmmm...... I can’t really describe how I’m feeling at this time. Maybe confused, numb, deluded or just torn on what the issues are?

I’m not the type who will get angry and rant at the players or manager as I never believe it helps, Disappointed and fed up definitely. PL is a fighter that is without doubt therefore what else can he say. Whether he is good enough is a whole different debate.

I like to think I’m a realist, therefore we are where we are as a club based on how modern day football now is. Fair play rules have impacted greatly on football in general. I hear people talk about lack of investment from ME, but investment is all relative and it’s really about what you do with the money you have.

I think we are still reeling from the PH era and it’s going to take time for the club with limited investment to turn things around. This is why I believe PL needs time and by time I mean at least 1 more full season. (Just put my tin hat on). In the main the players he has brought in have been better than what we had at the time. He has been restricted in the transfer market. As mike has commented the squad does need an overhaul, but again it will require money and let’s be fair a little bit of good fortune.

I think what I’m trying to say is there are 4 main factors that determine a successful club, owner, manager, players and fans. With the exception of the fans I can’t decide where the real issues lay. Maybe it’s all three. 🤷‍♂️.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:10 pm

He definitely needs another full season and as you say his signings have by and large done ok.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:36 pm

Bluemike wrote:
I've already resigned myself to a second season in this division and a small part of me is ok with that on the basis that we do a massive clear out of those who have ultimately failed us this season.

I agree entirely. But this is why I hate the playoffs. I think most people accept we won't make the playoffs now but while there is still supposedly a chance then the youngsters you mention won't be given sufficient opportunities to play. If we could just say now "f*ck it, the season is effectively over, let's build for next season" and give them some regular match time, we would be better off.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:14 pm

I hear and read so often about lack of investment being the reason for our failure this season but I don’t really see it that way. If you look at the teams above us, with the possible exception of Sunderland none of the others will have had more investment spend this season or bigger squads or more highly paid players. Coventry City don’t even have a home of their own and six of the eight teams above us have regular home attendances of fewer than 8k and in the case of Fleetwood circa 3k.

As I see it our players have no fight in them or motivation, some of that stems back to the manager as it’s his job to get them prepared for every game, and as much as I hate to say it Paul Lambert also has to take the blame for tactics, formation, and strategy during the game. I know I don’t get to see live games so my comment may be unfair, but for me Paul Lambert doesn’t appear to be able to implement a Plan “B” when Plan “A” isn’t working which is why we rarely win games after going behind.

Sadly we seem to be back to those days where we struggle to score, and I just hate it when we lose points to goals in added time.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:49 pm

Andym wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:36 pm
Bluemike wrote:

I agree entirely. But this is why I hate the playoffs. I think most people accept we won't make the playoffs now but while there is still supposedly a chance then the youngsters you mention won't be given sufficient opportunities to play. If we could just say now "f*ck it, the season is effectively over, let's build for next season" and give them some regular match time, we would be better off.
I thought the same thing a year ago. Accept relegation early and build for next season. But it didn’t work. However, he might as well stick Dobra in the team now as he’d show more passion than others. Actually, a lot of these youngsters are either on loan, injured, getting over injury or, in Dozzell’s case, out of favour. I can’t see Dozzell being here next season.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:28 pm

Ando wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:03 pm
Laugh or get angry, Hmmmm...... I can’t really describe how I’m feeling at this time. Maybe confused, numb, deluded or just torn on what the issues are?

I’m not the type who will get angry and rant at the players or manager as I never believe it helps, Disappointed and fed up definitely. PL is a fighter that is without doubt therefore what else can he say. Whether he is good enough is a whole different debate.

I like to think I’m a realist, therefore we are where we are as a club based on how modern day football now is. Fair play rules have impacted greatly on football in general. I hear people talk about lack of investment from ME, but investment is all relative and it’s really about what you do with the money you have.

I think we are still reeling from the PH era and it’s going to take time for the club with limited investment to turn things around. This is why I believe PL needs time and by time I mean at least 1 more full season. (Just put my tin hat on). In the main the players he has brought in have been better than what we had at the time. He has been restricted in the transfer market. As mike has commented the squad does need an overhaul, but again it will require money and let’s be fair a little bit of good fortune.

I think what I’m trying to say is there are 4 main factors that determine a successful club, owner, manager, players and fans. With the exception of the fans I can’t decide where the real issues lay. Maybe it’s all three. 🤷‍♂️.
Totally agree with all those Sentiments Ando, in fact you could easily have written that on my behalf, such that it mirrors my feelings.

Some very valid points being made in all posts in this topic, lots of resignation in people's thoughts, no magic wand to come up with the solutions to help us move forward, that or the fear of what is genuinely needed to move our great club forward again. Seems to be very dark clouds hanging over everything ITFC at the moment, and in truth i am not particularly looking forward to making just my second Town game of this season, against Fleetwood.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:47 pm

I think Lambert should get another season, but he shouldn't get 5 f**king years! Unfortunately, as I've said in another post I don't expect things to be better next season...in fact, we will probably be worse. The only saving grace for me is if the youngsters we are able to keep begin to click and fight and win. Of course, we'll need a few additions but I'm not holding my breath on that...not with Evans at the helm. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have great admiration for the away supporters for our club. If there's one positive thing about this season, it's those fans who never give up and sing for the lads even when they're sh*t. If it wasn't for fans like that, I would have f*cked off years ago.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:48 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:14 pm
I hear and read so often about lack of investment being the reason for our failure this season but I don’t really see it that way. If you look at the teams above us, with the possible exception of Sunderland none of the others will have had more investment spend this season or bigger squads or more highly paid players. Coventry City don’t even have a home of their own and six of the eight teams above us have regular home attendances of fewer than 8k and in the case of Fleetwood circa 3k.

As I see it our players have no fight in them or motivation, some of that stems back to the manager as it’s his job to get them prepared for every game, and as much as I hate to say it Paul Lambert also has to take the blame for tactics, formation, and strategy during the game. I know I don’t get to see live games so my comment may be unfair, but for me Paul Lambert doesn’t appear to be able to implement a Plan “B” when Plan “A” isn’t working which is why we rarely win games after going behind.

Sadly we seem to
be back to those days where we struggle to score, and I just hate it when we lose points to goals in added time.
Peterborough broke their transfer record on Toney, think he cost 1.5m.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:17 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:36 am
I am surprised i've put him on the list too, to be fair he's done well this season for the most part but the fans, or at least a lot of them, don't see it and it will only generate unrest among them should he stay as a first team regular again, I think the time is now to see him phased out so maybe that back seat role that has been spoken about needs to start now. Downes is the natural successor but there is zero chance he will be here next August, it won't happen. I think if we were able to keep Garbutt he could possibly be skipper material but as you say, who else !!!
I remember posting around this time last season that we should drop the old guard for the rest of the season and play the kids in order to blood them for this season.

Of course, that didnt happen - and by and large we continue to play the same players who were not good enough last season and they have proved they are not good enough this season.

Chambers, Skuse, Judge, Edwards, Sears, Jackson, Huws, Bishop, Keane - all playing last season , all not good enough last season, all not good enough this season. Plus this season you also have Norwood who must have one of the worst conversion ratios in football. Ship them all oiut - we dont need them.