Ipswich Town vs Fleetwood Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Which Ipswich team will turn up for this one?

Ipswich Win
18%
Fleetwood Win
47%
Draw
35%

Total votes: 17

Frosty
Forum Owner

Ipswich Town vs Fleetwood Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:03 am

ImageIpswich Town v Fleetwood Town Image

Tuesday 3rd March 19:45

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

Groundhog Day !!!!!!!!

And so it goes on, pain, misery, disappointment and a general feeling of being constantly let down, yes welcome to the world of supporting ITFC, the team that so often loves to shaft you when you least need it. Yet again we somehow managed to grab defeat from the jaws of victory in another game that saw us on top for fairly lengthy spells only to succumb to the proverbial sucker punch right at the death. It was the latest in a line of so called "must win" games and once again we failed to win it. Talk about cruel though, within seconds it went from Freddie Sears looking all but certain to give us a last gasp win to them breaking up field to plant the ball firmly into our net following yet another piece of inept defending, the Blackpool fans went wild as us Town fans slumped to our knees once more, within seconds the party atmosphere that had prevailed all game turned to angry and fed up fans venting their frustrations towards the Town players and manager as they came over to applaud us, it was a very uncomfortable moment and you could see Chambers and co were visibly affected by it all.

For me the defeat all but confirmed us to another season in the Third tier, premature it may well be but realistic it most definitely is as our current run of form will just not be good enough to see us claim the seven or Eight wins we almost certainly need to force our way into the play off picture, as positive as I have always been I just don't see us cutting out the kamikaze defending that litters our performances enough for us to claim the wins required, yes we play well in patches but my god we are so inconsistent you don't even know what is going to happen from One minute to the next never mind game to game.

Much of the talk now is about Paul Lambert and will he still be here or won't he, for me it is not even up for discussion, while I think the Five year deal ultimately means nothing I do believe he is getting at the very least another season with all the Transfer windows that come with it to show he is the man long term to take us forward, not only is the honeymoon period well and truly over but the marriage made in heaven is rapidly falling apart too, the fans and the manager are definitely starting to fall out of love with each other. the first real signs of Paul Lambert being affected by it were there for all to see with him coming out publicly and blaming Luke Garbutt for defending that no place in the professional game, Lambert has always defended his players to the hilt so to name someone so openly shows the pressure is starting to tell and I am sure that will not have gone down too well in the dressing room.

Next up we see Fleetwood Town making the trip to Portman Road for another "must win" battle although for me it will be a case of going through the motions, if we win we win, if we don't hey ho, that is my mind set right now. I would actually welcome a few young faces in the starting Eleven but while there is a glimmer of hope I think there is zero chance of it happening, I suppose Dobra and Tyreece Simpson were a couple of positives to take from the game at Blackpool, in fact the kid Simpson looked very handy indeed despite his tender years, strong in the upper body and very quick, nimble with the ball at his feet too so maybe we have another half decent youngster coming through the ranks and let's face it next season we may well need them all if as is expected we are to ply our trade in league One once more. As for the Fleetwood game I can see this ending as a 1-1 draw with more angst from the terraces come the full time whistle.

The Opposition – Fleetwood Town

The current club was officially established in 1997 but, in two previous incarnations, the club's history dates back to 1908. The original club, Fleetwood F.C., were champions of the Lancashire Combination in 1923–24, and registered a hat-trick of Lancashire Combination Cup wins in 1932, 1933 and 1934. The side's goalkeeper in the first of those victories was Frank Swift, then only eighteen years old. After almost sixty years as a Lancashire Combination club, they were made founder members of the Northern Premier League in 1968. The club finished in 10th place in its first season. As the NPL was one of several leagues immediately below Division Four of the Football League, this was effectively the fifth tier of English football, and the club would not surpass this success until 2010–11. Despite winning the Northern Premier League Cup in 1971, the club languished in the lower half of the table, finishing bottom for two successive seasons (1974–75 and 1975–76) and folded in 1976 because of financial difficulties. Its great players include the late Percy Ronson, after whom one stand is named.

The club was re-established in 1977 as Fleetwood Town F.C., with many of the original personnel. Initially placed in Division One of the Cheshire League, it was moved in 1982 to the North West Counties League Division Two in its inaugural year, and promoted to Division One in 1984. The team reached the final of the FA Vase in 1985, losing 3–1 to Halesowen Town in front of a 16,000 crowd at Wembley. The club was placed in Division One (second tier) of the Northern Premier League when the league established a second tier in 1987, becoming the inaugural Division One Champions in 1988. In 1990–91 the club finished fourth in the NPL Premier Division, at the time effectively the sixth tier. However, by 1996, this second club had also folded.

Re-formed in 1997 as Fleetwood Wanderers, the club was placed back in Division One of the North West Counties Football League (now the tenth tier of the English League system) and a sponsorship deal saw the club's name immediately changed to Fleetwood Freeport F.C.. The club was promoted to the Premier Division of the North West Counties League in 1999 and renamed Fleetwood Town F.C. in 2002. Tony Greenwood was appointed manager in 2003; soon afterward, Andy Pilley took over as chairman. Successive promotions, as North West Counties League champions in 2005 and Northern Premier League First Division runners-up in 2006, saw the club reach the Northern Premier League Premier Division.

Fleetwood Town won the Northern Premier League Challenge Cup in the 2006–07 season, beating Matlock Town 1–0, and finished the season in eighth place with 67 points.

In the 2007–08 season Fleetwood won the Northern Premier League, gaining promotion to the Conference North. Along the way they set a new attendance record for the division, and were easily the best-supported team in the Premier Division.

Fleetwood started the 2008–09 Conference North season poorly; with the club at the bottom of the league, manager Tony Greenwood, along with his assistant, Nigel Greenwood and coach Andy Whittaker, were sacked. Greenwood was replaced by Micky Mellon. His position at Fleetwood was made full-time in January 2009, a first for the club.

The demise of Farsley Celtic partway through the 2009–10 was detrimental to Fleetwood's campaign, as Farsley's entire 2009–10 playing record was expunged. Fleetwood were chasing promotion along with near neighbours Southport, and the ruling cost Fleetwood three points relative to Southport. Fleetwood appealed against the decision but the appeal was rejected the day before the last match of the season, leaving Southport one point ahead. Both teams won on the final day, giving Southport the championship. Fleetwood instead had to contest the play-offs, and after beating Droylsden on penalties in the semi-final Fleetwood won promotion to the Football Conference by beating Alfreton Town 2–1 in the final.

For the 2010–11 season the club made all of its players full-time professionals, though this resulted in a few players leaving the club, including club captain Jamie Milligan. The club spent most of the season in or near the play-off positions, eventually qualifying by finishing in fifth place. In the play-off semi-finals, against Wimbledon, a new attendance record of 4,112 was set in the home leg, but Fleetwood lost both games with an 8–1 aggregate scoreline.

Fleetwood's 2011–12 season was very successful, Fleetwood went on a 29-game unbeaten run, and were declared champions with two games remaining, giving them promotion to the Football League for the first time. At the end of the season Vardy moved to Leicester City for a fee of £1m, which subsequently rose to £1.7m—a record transfer fee for a non-league club.

Fleetwood had a good start to the 2012–13 season, and had risen to third in the league after 10 games. However, they only won two of the next 10 games, slipping to sixth position; chairman Andy Pilley and manager Micky Mellon fell out, after Mellon allegedly applied for the Burnley and Blackpool managerial vacancies. On 1 December 2012, following a 3–2 defeat against Aldershot in the FA Cup, Mellon was sacked as manager of the League Two side. Graham Alexander was appointed manager on 6 December 2012. Fleetwood were unbeaten for the next five games, and after a steady run of results had risen back to fourth place after 11 games. However, Fleetwood only won two of the remaining 15 games, and consequently slipped down the table to finish 13th in League Two; this resulted in a large rebuilding of the squad.

The 2013–14 season was another successful one. Having been in and around the automatic promotion places all season and getting to the League Trophy area final, the club narrowly missed out on automatic promotion, finishing in fourth place. After beating York City in the play-off semi-final, Fleetwood beat Burton Albion 1–0 from an Antoni Sarcevic free-kick in the play-off final at Wembley on 26 May to win promotion to League One for the first time.

Playing at the club's highest level, the 2014–15 season was very successful. After three games the team was top of the league for two games, and apart from a couple of games remained in the top half of the league all season, eventually finishing in a very creditable 10th place. Also in 2014, the club purchased a 57-bedroom hotel in Blackpool for the youth team; the following year, the club started to move into its new training ground in Thornton.

2015–16 was a difficult season. In July 2015, chairman Andy Pilley announced that the club's strategic direction would move more towards a self-sustaining model utilizing the development and sell-on of home-grown talent, rather than buying in players to attempt to climb the league pyramid further. The playing budget was trimmed heavily.

After a poor start to the season with only two wins in 10 league matches, Graham Alexander was sacked on 30 September 2015, with the club one point above the relegation zone. On 6 October 2015 Steven Pressley was appointed manager. After a season flirting with the relegation zone, Pressley guided the club to safety, five points above the relegation zone, with 10 wins in 35 league matches and an appearance in the league trophy northern area final. On 20 April 2016, Sir Alex Ferguson officially opened the club's £8m Poolfoot farm training ground complex with 18 pitches including a floodlit 4G artificial pitch, gym, cafe, bar, offices, etc.

Just before the start of the 2016–17 season, on 26 July 2016, Steven Pressley resigned from his position as manager. Uwe Rösler was appointed manager on 30 July 2016 who guided the club to its highest ever finish in 4th place but was narrowly beaten 1–0 by Bradford City in the play off semi-final.

However in the 2017–18 season Uwe Rosler was sacked on 17 February 2018 after seven straight defeats in all competitions with the club just outside the relegation zone by goal difference. On 22 February 2018 John Sheridan was appointed manager on a short term contract until the end of the season who successfully guided the club away from relegation and finished mid table in 14th place.

At the beginning of 2018–19 season Joey Barton was appointed manager on 2 June 2018 who guided the club to a 11th place with victories over local rivals Blackpool and giants Sunderland.

The Manager – Joey Barton

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 9th place with 52 points

8 Feb Sunderland 1 - 0 Ipswich Town

11 Feb AFC Wimbledon 0 - 0 Ipswich Town

15 Feb Ipswich Town 4 - 1 Burton Albion

22 Feb Ipswich Town 0 - 1 Oxford Utd

29 Feb Blackpool 2 - 1 Ipswich Town

Fleetwood Town Last 5 Matches – Currently in 8th place with 55 points

1 Feb Wycombe 0 - 1 Fleetwood

15 Feb Fleetwood 2 - 1 Peterborough

22 Feb Fleetwood 1 - 0 Portsmouth

25 Feb Sunderland 1 - 1 Fleetwood

29 Feb Tranmere pp. Fleetwood

Match Referee – Neil Hair

IPSWICH TOWN 1 FLEETWOOD TOWN 1

BLUEBLOOD

Re: Ipswich Town vs Fleetwood Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:00 am

Ref Caption: I am the bogey picking champion with this finger.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:43 am

We lose, 3-1 , we get angry again, we shout from the terraces, nothing changes.... damn I’m fed up

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:44 am

Initial reaction:
No Jackson
No Norwood
No Downes
No points.

But despite their form, Fleetwood haven't been high scorers so hopefully we can get a point out of it.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:56 am

Yes, it was noteworthy that Lambert singled out Garbutt after that defeat. Personally, I wished he’d been a lot more blunt a while back. Not necessarily throwing players under the bus, but at least acknowledging how poor we are. All this “we’re playing well” stuff - it never sat well with the fans. I think Lambert’s protected the players far too much.

I can’t see us stringing enough results together to get in the play-offs, but I’d still want us to make a go of it ... and a win against Fleetwood shouldn’t be impossible.... yet our spineless team really does seem to make a League 1 match look like Mission Impossible. 3-0 win (Sears, Skuse & Dobra)

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:49 am

Having not contributed much to a match day thread lately, i decided to add my thoughts, muddled they may be :lol:

Have tried reverse psychology when predicting in the poll. Have gone for defeats where we should fare better, result; defeat. Chosen defeats/draws for games i have not seen us winning, result; defeat. Where i have chosen a win you can guarantee we will stuff it up. This time i have gone for a draw, 2-2 in fact.

So clutching at those straws, because everything is screaming an away win at me, here we go;
- 2 top scorers and our best midfielder out, maybe Dobra, Simpson or someone else can shine.
- Fleetwood's run of good form is no fluke, having taken points off all their promotion rivals very recently, but maybe (like our international breaks) their postponed game against Tranmere will upset that rhythm
- Joey Barton's touchline ban means he will not be in snarling range of his players, let's hope that has an effect.
- lastly, my only previous visit to PR this season saw a win against Wimbledon. In fact, if you count the Leeds game last season, my last two visits have seen us win (just don't ask for my record before that :lol:

Oh hell, go on then 2-1 to the Town! There the curse has been set!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:55 am

If the Burton Albion chairman looked at that 5 game ITFC form guide, Clough would be the one getting sacked.
Saw some highlights. That first goal? Oh dear. 🤦‍♂️ Very frustrating.

A draw at best, but with Azzurro saying Barton will not be able to snarl at his players from the touchline might be an advantage to Fleetwood. Couple that with maybe 4 or 5 Ipswich players being thoroughly pissed off with Lambert —-> Could be a loss in this one. Stick with the 1-1 though.
Another season in this shithole league? 🤦‍♂️

First glimpse of ref and thought, “that a wig?”, and his name is Neil Hair?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:39 pm

We're due a win aren't we? :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:31 pm

Don’t think so, 9. Two games ago, 4-1 v Burton. I think the gap between wins is longer than two games. Probably not due a win until a week on Saturday.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:01 pm

For the first time this year predicted a defeat. Hope I’m wrong

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:13 pm

I'm finding it hard to generate any enthusiasm for the rest of this awful season. I've gone for a draw here in the hope that we might somehow keep our fading playoff hopes alive.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:04 am

Actually thats not a picture of Joey Barton, I accidently put one up of Harry Potters dad.

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:17 am

Crikey I’m the first to vote for a home win. I really think we will win I really do. There you go I’ve said it and why not. We are at home, are they that great? No, what has happened so far really counts for nothing it’s always about the next game, the next goal, look forward not back.

Will be interesting to see who plays. Bishop should start and this has to be his time to deliver.
Holy
Garbutt
Earl
Woolfenden
Chambers
Edwards
Skuse
Nolan
Bishop
Keane
Sears

Maybe judge for Sears depending on how Sears is after the weekend.

Keep the faith, COYB

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:37 am

Faith, Ando? Just regular faith? Or blind faith?

I only witnessed 4 minutes and 37 seconds of Blackpool highlights. Even this far into the season, it’s still difficult to see Ipswich looking so mediocre and ordinary in League One.

It’s true though; the fans have no choice but to look forward, try and be positive and winning tonight at Portman Road would be a great thing. That “faith” is being tested to the limit though.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:34 am

Ando wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:17 am
Crikey I’m the first to vote for a home win. I really think we will win I really do. There you go I’ve said it and why not. We are at home, are they that great? No, what has happened so far really counts for nothing it’s always about the next game, the next goal, look forward not back.

Will be interesting to see who plays. Bishop should start and this has to be his time to deliver.
Holy
Garbutt
Earl
Woolfenden
Chambers
Edwards
Skuse
Nolan
Bishop
Keane
Sears

Maybe judge for Sears depending on how Sears is after the weekend.

Keep the faith, COYB
I love your enthusiasm Ando, it makes me smile. I will be there tonight and will cheer them on as always. Come on you blues

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:45 am

With you lot being at PR and myself being at ER,

Let’s say Ipswich 2 Fleetwood 1

and

Hibs 3 Mingin’ Stinkin’ bucket rakin’ Jambo bastards 0.

Come on, teams, let’s do it. 👍

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:35 pm

Sorry, but I can see no eeason to be optimistic. With key players absent I fear the downward spiral will confinue as Lambert seems unable to motivate the players to anything other than mediocrity.

If we draw we will be lucky.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:40 pm

You got to vote on a win there's no point wallowing in self pity and regret. Just want the whole damn issue of will we won't we (promotion) put to bed and move on from that bullshit.

If we can't beat opposition like this particularly with a home advantage then the team don't deserve to challenging for a promotion opportunity. May catch up with events later today if time permits itself but kind of expecting to be let down again. Won't be nothing new but still time to make an impact and be involved at end of season.

Town 3 Fleetwoods 1

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:55 pm

Yes, I agree, Saint.

Nothing to do with what Fleetwood are doing now or what they’ve achieved at this moment in time ...... if the club name “Ipswich Town” has been dragged down so much so that Fleetwood is seen as a challenge at Portman Road, then it’s over. Forget it and start planning from the NEXT season, (will be the 14th in total, Marcus)

Thankfully, I’m NOT in that camp. There is hope, it’s only sh*te-ey Fleetwood and TB’s need to prove its not over.

COYB’s

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:58 pm

COYBs. 3-1 Town :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Aahh that gave me a laugh anyway! Took me a few minutes to work out what TB was Marko. :oops:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:04 pm

“The Bawbags” Pat.

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:15 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:37 am
Faith, Ando? Just regular faith? Or blind faith?

I only witnessed 4 minutes and 37 seconds of Blackpool highlights. Even this far into the season, it’s still difficult to see Ipswich looking so mediocre and ordinary in League One.

It’s true though; the fans have no choice but to look forward, try and be positive and winning tonight at Portman Road would be a great thing. That “faith” is being tested to the limit though.
Spending many years playing football, hockey, cricket and coaching for the last 10 years has taught me about mental strength and attitude. Crossing the white line in the belief that you can win is the sign of a winner, feeling beaten before you started is the sign of a looser pure and simple. That’s why you always look forward, you can never change what’s been and gone ( Oasis lyrics) and can only influence the here on now. You go a goal down or a goal up it’s always about the next one that matters.

The Bart interview was very revealing about the squad PL inherited, Bart basically said they knew they were beaten and going down even at the point of the new signings so we have losers still in our squad, not all but some. That’s a reason why we got relegated and why we are where we are this season. Ability will only get you so far, a winning mentality will take you that little bit further. This is true in all walks of life.

Off me soap box now getting ready to leave for the game. COYB ITID 👊

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:51 pm

I agree with absolutely every part of that, Ando. And let’s hope the losers in the dressing room have changed their mindset.
But that’s the issue isn’t it? How are the fans supposed to be upbeat and positive if the ones doing the job are losers?

Everything you say is correct, and if some forum members had a job within the club, then yes, knowing that mentality was physically being passed on, more would be on board with the “faith”.

Got to be honest, Ando, and doubtful if you’ll believe it, but I do listen to certain motivational speakers and I’m probably an 80/20 positive person.

But Lambert? No divine right? You want me to go? Coz al go tomorrow?
That’s what’s deflated me this season and why I think he’s a bellend. Nothing to do with the results.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:59 pm

He's f**king lost it !!!! Where the hell are goals coming from in that line up !!! Not to mention the defence lmao.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:02 pm

WOW with that line up how can we lose😱 I assume Skuse and Huws are injured even so I just can't understand that team selection, hope I'm proven wrong.😞

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:05 pm

Bloody hell. 6 changes.

McGavin and Dozzell come in.

Donacien at RB or RWB. Wilson in for Woolf. Nolan and Judge in as well.

Surprised to see McGavin come straight in. Maybe Skuse is injured, but neither Huws or Skuse on bench.

Not sure what formation, perhaps it’s a 4 man defence with Garbutt playing wide left.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:05 pm

He's playing for a 0-0 draw Mike.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:17 pm

Is it 442?

Donacien Chambers Wilson Earl

Nolan McGavin Dozzell Garbutt

Judge Keane?

Whatever formation it is, it’s a roll of the dice...

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:27 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:17 pm
Is it 442?

Judge Keane?

Might be 4-4-3 or 3-5–1-1 or whatever ... f*ck knows.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:30 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:27 pm
JohnnyB wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:17 pm
Is it 442?

Judge Keane?

Might be 4-4-3 or 3-5–1-1 or whatever ... f*ck knows.
If this goes wrong, it’s going to get ugly...