Ipswich Town vs Fleetwood Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Which Ipswich team will turn up for this one?

Ipswich Win
18%
Fleetwood Win
47%
Draw
35%

Total votes: 17

number 9

Re: Ipswich Town vs Fleetwood Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by number 9 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:00 am

Is the site slowing down again? It’s ok, I mean after that shyte performance I’d cut back too in keeping with the tradition of ME’s budget buster program. The server people probably said,
“Well Mr Frosty, you can have the standard or excelsior package?”
“What’s the difference in cost?” Says Frosty.
“Well the standard is 50 & the excelsior is 100?”
Frosty rubs his chin as his eyes look a stray,
“f*ck it, give me the standard!” :lol:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:01 am

GET NEIL WARNOCK IN NOW, its got to change :cry: :cry: fans pay good money to watch crap.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:01 am

Very sad days, hated the fractious atmosphere tonight. I understand the increasing frustrations and why things are coming to a head, but have always been of the belief that it does nothing positive for the team. I prefer the stance of the West Ham Fans in their "Support the team not the regime,” protests before their weekend game.
I was feeling the frustrations, i thought the team selection (for such a big game) was shocking, so yes i do blame PL for making so many changes. Poor McGavin should never have started that game and has probably ruined him. I get it that Huws, Skuse (Barney McGrew, Cuthbert Dibble and Grubb([sorry] were injured and a less lightweight player was needed, but maybe play Wolfenden in front of his defence if you have to, and cut out so many changes to the rest of the team. Fleetwood didn't really force many saves out of Holy, not that they needed to and yet again a poor end product hampered our efforts, even though we had a better second half (i know it could not have got any worse).
Will be there for the Portsmouth game, looking forward to my first Saturday game of the season, if only for the pre-match meal and a couple of pints. Football really has become the sideshow now, where if i expect nothing it hurts less!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:54 am

Something is seriously wrong at the club.

This is relegation form... and has been for a long time. Even if the squad is not as strong as thought, our form should never be this bad.

I can only see this getting worse. Unless Evans comes out and says he’ll inject sizeable cash into the squad over the summer, I think Lambert’s got an impossible job. I can’t see him turning things around with this squad and game by game you can see the team draining in confidence. He’s on a hiding to nothing for the rest of the season and I can only see him being a target at the start of next season. Apart from youngsters who we need to keep, I can’t see our squad generating any cash to fund new players for a new team. I can see a lot of these players still here sitting on their contracts next season.
Lambert is proving he can’t get anything out of these players. If the bulk of this squad is here next season - how can he be expected to inject confidence and belief in this squad? I feel we’ll have a toxic under-current right from the start of next season if he’s still here.
I do wonder when its mathematically impossible for us to reach the play-offs, if Lambert will stand down.

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:30 am

He's definitely lost the fans after last night, which I think is the point of no return and we're gonna need to make a decision very soon as there is no way that Lambert can bring it back.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:58 am

J4ck22 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:30 am
He's definitely lost the fans after last night, which I think is the point of no return and we're gonna need to make a decision very soon as there is no way that Lambert can bring it back.

Hey Jack great to see you back posting 👍, don’t leave it so long next time.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:41 am

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:58 am
J4ck22 wrote:

Hi Jack, just echoing Andy’s comment, great to see you posting, just wish it was for more joyous reasons.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:43 am

As recent as 25 January we were top of the league, less than six weeks later we find ourselves mid-table and sinking faster than the Titanic. After an 11-game unbeaten run to start the season we’ve won just four of our past 20 league games which leaves us off the pace and having played more than all of our promotion rivals, our season is all but over.

How can the same squad that’s just gone 17 games with only 4 wins, fail to score in five of the last 8 games, and only pick up 16 points.... Be the same squad who....In the first 17 games of the season record 10 wins, pick up a massive 35 points and fail to score in only 3 games.

I hate to say it but these players have stopped playing for Paul Lambert.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:54 am

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:43 am
As recent as 25 January we were top of the league, less than six weeks later we find ourselves mid-table and sinking faster than the Titanic. After an 11-game unbeaten run to start the season we’ve won just four of our past 20 league games which leaves us off the pace, having played more than all of their promotion rivals, and our season all but over.

How can the same squad that’s just gone 17 games with only 4 wins, fail to score in five of the last 8 games, and only pick up 16 points.... Be the same squad who....In the first 17 games of the season record 10 wins, pick up a massive 35 points and fail to score in only 3 games.

I also wonder why other clubs who are now playing in higher leagues struggle to get out of this division.

There does seem to be quite a quality gap between L1 and the championship. Is it that you play better as an individual when playing stronger teams and therefore conversely drop your performance in a lower league? Complacency may have crept in due to the strong start and this coupled with some players perhaps declining in their own abilities as they reach the end of their careers has meant there is nothing to counter a slump. I think McGavin was probably an example yesterday of a young player who might not be quite ready to step up to fill these voids.

Outside of the Lambert question, our strikers are hardly in the lethal category, that also will have an effect on the players behind them from a confidence angle.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:51 pm

Frosty wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:54 am
Charnwood wrote:
As recent as 25 January we were top of the league, less than six weeks later we find ourselves mid-table and sinking faster than the Titanic. After an 11-game unbeaten run to start the season we’ve won just four of our past 20 league games which leaves us off the pace, having played more than all of their promotion rivals, and our season all but over.

I also wonder why other clubs who are now playing in higher leagues struggle to get out of this division.

Which clubs in particular are you thinking of Dave ?

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:09 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:58 am
J4ck22 wrote:

Thanks guys :D It's hard to motivate myself to post again with how rubbish it's all been over the last couple of years, but I will try!

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:49 pm

Charnwood wrote:
As recent as 25 January we were top of the league, less than six weeks later we find ourselves mid-table and sinking faster than the Titanic. After an 11-game unbeaten run to start the season we’ve won just four of our past 20 league games which leaves us off the pace and having played more than all of our promotion rivals, our season is all but over.

I think some of us felt that early results flattered us. We won games that we hardly deserved to. Those who don't get to witness the games or who only care about results believed their own wild hopes of instant promotion.

On the other hand, recently we have lost games that in all fairness we deserved more from. A defensive mistake gets punished - and believe me, in the early games we kept clean sheets more because of the opposition's inability to take chances than any strong defensive work - while we can't score, either through poor finishing or good defending (we had shots cleared off the line even yesterday).

A massive issue is confidence. The early wins gave us confidence to shoot for example. Now we are so lacking no-one wants the ball. Yesterday, their were ironic cheers whenever one of Holy's long kicks went straight on the head of their giraffe of a central defender. At the start of the season, he wold roll it or throw it to a defender to build from the back. Yesterday he couldn't - no one looked to make it possible. Essentially they were hiding. That isn't players not wanting to perform for the manager, it's players lacking the confidence in their ability to want the ball - probably knowing that if they pick it up at the back, they'll face the same problem, no one wanting it, the crowd moronically baying for them to "play it forward" and then complaining when they do and concede possession. The fans aren't helping with the vocal criticism; I can understand the frustration but I make a point of trying to encourage any half-decent pass, but I'm usually a lone voice in the Upper Co-op stand.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:51 pm

Lambert needs to go now, it's the only way possible. Not tomorrow, not at the end of season. While there's still time and points available to finish in the top six promotion berths getting rid of the individual and appointing a new name with drive and ambition remains imperative.

I'd understand if the season was effectively over and not a damn thing could be accomplished but we got time ahead to rectify something here. Only problem being I don't think he'll walk away or Evans would even fire his as*. Probably on a cushy job here, perform badly after some initial expectation and safe in the knowledge you got an owner who will only offer defense or reassurances without taking the required action to terminate his services.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:12 pm

Andym wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:49 pm
Charnwood wrote:

I think some of us felt that early results flattered us. We won games that we hardly deserved to. Those who don't get to witness the games or who only care about results believed their own wild hopes of instant promotion.

On the other hand, recently we have lost games that in all fairness we deserved more from. A defensive mistake gets punished - and believe me, in the early games we kept clean sheets more because of the opposition's inability to take chances than any strong defensive work - while we can't score, either through poor finishing or good defending (we had shots cleared off the line even yesterday).

A massive issue is confidence. The early wins gave us confidence to shoot for example. Now we are so lacking no-one wants the ball. Yesterday, their were ironic cheers whenever one of Holy's long kicks went straight on the head of their giraffe of a central defender. At the start of the season, he wold roll it or throw it to a defender to build from the back. Yesterday he couldn't - no one looked to make it possible. Essentially they were hiding. That isn't players not wanting to perform for the manager, it's players lacking the confidence in their ability to want the ball - probably knowing that if they pick it up at the back, they'll face the same problem, no one wanting it, the crowd moronically baying for them to "play it forward" and then complaining when they do and concede possession. The fans aren't helping with the vocal criticism; I can understand the frustration but I make a point of trying to encourage any half-decent pass, but I'm usually a lone voice in the Upper Co-op stand.

I know you’re correct with what you say Andy but isn’t part of a managers job to instil confidence in his team ? In our case for the manager to find a formation and a style of play to suit his players skill set and level of ability and to set them up with a game plan. They managed it for the first half of the season but not the second, as and best I can see the standard of football in League One has hardly improved 100% over the same period. I’ve never been one for booing or turning on the team during a match, that’s something I hated about Leicester City fans in their dark days, but I guess there’s only so much some fans can take. To be fair on our fans, most have given Lambert far more support than many of his predecessors have enjoyed over recent years and something needs to change if that’s going to continue, after all a continuation of our current form would see “Hello League Two” written in the script.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:28 pm

Just a quick point while i sit in Manchester uni waiting for my lad to finish his tour.... the level of debate, despite the continued losses, has been so refreshing. Thank you everyone for keeping the chat sensible and reasoned... despite the pain we invariably all feel, keeping the chat friendly makes this site a whole lot better.
We are not alone in feeling pain at our current plight, so let’s keep supporting each other’s views in an adult way . Peace out....

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:44 pm

Yes well said, none of us want to be in this position, no one is enjoying it.

The one silver lining, other than the odd interesting youngster putting in a performance occasionally, is that the fan base has been surprisingly large and supportive. I know there's exceptions, but people paying a lot of money and giving up a lot of their time have had to deal with a lot of sh*t for a lot of years, for them to continue to get behind the team and create large gates is an unexpected positive.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:59 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:51 pm
Frosty wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

I can't remember the exact numbers, but both Sheffield United and Leeds United spent a number of seasons in League 1.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:27 pm

Frosty wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:59 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:51 pm
Frosty wrote:

I can't remember the exact numbers, but both Sheffield United and Leeds United spent a number of seasons in League 1.
...and both these Clubs required substantial foreign investment before their fortunes changed. In September 2013 it was confirmed that Saudi Prince Abdullah bin Musa'ed bin Abdulaziz Al Saud had bought a 50% stake in Sheffield United and in 2017 Leeds was acquired by the Italian Billionaire Andrea Radrizzani.

I think it will take another substantial take of of this scale before our clubs fortune changes significantly.

We can only hope.