ITFC Academy

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

ITFC Academy

Post by Charnwood » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:50 am

I’ve just read this on Social Media. Is this true or scaremongering “Fake News”

For many years ITFC academy has "propped up the club", selling the youngsters has always been part of what we do, and we accept that as fans. However, what Marcus Evans has failed to make common knowledge in his "5 year plan" is that the academy coaches and staff have been told to prepare for a huge cut in the funding to the academy "if we do not go up this season" This is added to the fact that the "scouts" have been encouraged to "drop standards a bit" in order to attract "fee paying youngsters", meaning that parents who want to pay for their child to get coaching/training at ITFC are more likely to get places than parents who cannot afford it, regardless of ability. The coaches (trust me I know first hand) have already noticed a "huge drop in the standard" of the youngsters arriving at ITFC. They are ALREADY struggling to find youngsters fit for the academy proper BEFORE the budget cuts. The coaches are leaving in droves as they are being paid minimum wage, the administrator left as he was paid £18k a year for around 60 hours and the scouts are "paid" an ITFC tracksuit and 2 season tickets per year! Oh and we also "actively tout" our best academy players each year to our rivals to fund the academy! This has been supported by Lambert in full because he is another Evans puppet. Just one question, where is our future now, we don't buy players and we won't be producing nowhere near the quality that we have in the past. Just another nail in the coffin.

I find this very hard to believe, please reassure me it’s a load of bollocks written by a trouble maker.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: ITFC Academy

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:21 am

It really doesn't ring true to me, I suspect it is a scam, god forbid if it isn't

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:42 am

Yeah I saw this on facebook too. Cant believe its true, but then I cant believe that this season is true, so I am now never surprised

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:58 am

Sounds like scare-mongering, but regarding Academy players for the moment, I’m more concerned about Dobra and Dozzell not signing contracts.

I really hope Dobra gets tied up to a contract and not walk away on the cheap. With Dozzell.... how did we get to this stage? He’s been a prospect for years and yet never done enough here - shouldn’t we have cut our losses and sold him for a good price when we had the chance? He obviously was way down the midfield pecking order - so why didn’t we offload when serious money was there?
And Dobra has been getting over-looked when the senior players have been dire. Could be he feels he has a better chance elsewhere.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:42 am

With Brighton having had an offer for Dobra turned down only a few weeks ago who can blame him, I can see him departing for peanuts in the summer, if we get anything at all. As for Dozzell, once rated at 10-12 Million now around 500k, what a joke, injury didn't help but my god what a missed opportunity by club and player alike.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:54 am

Quote:
....parents who want to pay for their child to get coaching/training at ITFC are more likely to get places than parents who cannot afford it, regardless of ability.
End quote.

That can ONLY be absolute fkn bollocks. Youngsters with “genuine” ability aren’t missed regardless of the “regime”. Can’t speak for other clubs, but the vast majority of Edinburgh based players who’ve all gone on to be stars are from shithole, deprived areas of the city. They’re noticed.

Hypothetical footballing wizard wee James from the shittest area of Ipswich (wherever that may be) who’s family are finding life tough, will be noticed somehow and ushered into the academy.

SURELY? (Cue Airplane! quote)

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:10 pm

Stop calling me Shirley.... I hate to disappoint Marko

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:05 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:42 am
With Brighton having had an offer for Dobra turned down only a few weeks ago who can blame him, I can see him departing for peanuts in the summer, if we get anything at all. As for Dozzell, once rated at 10-12 Million now around 500k, what a joke, injury didn't help but my god what a missed opportunity by club and player alike.
Dozzell has talent that’s not in doubt, was never going to shine In a MM team. As with Bishop plenty of talent but no end product. If it was going to happen for either of these 2 at this club it would have by now.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:35 pm

With respect I don't agree with either of those two assessments. Are we saying that they were never going to make it and we should have cashed in? Players have to learn to take the rough with the smooth and right now some of them are learning tough lessons. Bishop is in his first season after a difficult injury and we won't see proper fitness levels from him until he has finished a pre-season IMO. Dozzell? Well who can say? He's presumably trained on this season and despite some here claiming that he has an attitude problem, he is getting picked at the moment by Lambert and by all accounts doing reasonably well in a side that is very short of firepower.

Again it could be that if he is still here next season he might start to be more effective. As we keep saying, they are both young and learning their craft.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:47 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:35 pm
With respect I don't agree with either of those two assessments. Are we saying that they were never going to make it and we should have cashed in? Players have to learn to take the rough with the smooth and right now some of them are learning tough lessons. Bishop is in his first season after a difficult injury and we won't see proper fitness levels from him until he has finished a pre-season IMO. Dozzell? Well who can say? He's presumably trained on this season and despite some here claiming that he has an attitude problem, he is getting picked at the moment by Lambert and by all accounts doing reasonably well in a side that is very short of firepower.

Again it could be that if he is still here next season he might start to be more effective. As we keep saying, they are both young and learning their craft.
I don’t think we’ve the luxury now of waiting around for potential to shine through. We have a massive squad and far too many midfielders. Dozzell refuses to sign a new contract so it looks like he’ll move on for a small fee - what a waste when we need as much money as possible to boost the squad. He’s getting picked now because Downes is suspended and the rest of the midfield is either injured or absolutely sh*te. He hasn’t played for two months before last Tuesday. As for Bishop, we’ve been waiting years for him to peak, but I can’t see him keeping fit. We can’t afford to carry any extra baggage next year who aren’t either fit or can’t get in the team. As for Dozzell, if he doesn’t want to be here we should have cashed in. If he’s going to make it - he’ll probably make it elsewhere, instead of being 5th, 6th or 7th choice in a League 1 team.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:24 pm

Tangtastic I get your points and would agree with them but for a few worries:
a. Where were all the bidders for Dozzell in January? I'm not sure he will be attractive even at a small fee, I wouldn't be surprised if he signed a new contract with us (assuming one is forthcoming). But I'm personally not ready to write him off just yet. My point was about attitude, sure he's down the pecking list but he' not the only choice so maybe his attitude isn't as bad as it's painted.
b. Bishop has looked okay once or twice this season since getting back to reasonable fitness. The seems to have kept fit so far and has had quite a few games. We will have to see if he breaks down over the last 10 games or so.
c. Many players in our current squad were at least top performers at our current level and have underachieved this season. Maybe there is something not quite right on a more general level and we might be wise to keep the talent that we have and focus on getting the best out of it rather than restarting the merry-go-round for another roll of the dice (if you'll forgive the mixed metaphors :-)

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:06 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:24 pm
Tangtastic I get your points and would agree with them but for a few worries:
a. Where were all the bidders for Dozzell in January? I'm not sure he will be attractive even at a small fee, I wouldn't be surprised if he signed a new contract with us (assuming one is forthcoming). But I'm personally not ready to write him off just yet. My point was about attitude, sure he's down the pecking list but he' not the only choice so maybe his attitude isn't as bad as it's painted.
b. Bishop has looked okay once or twice this season since getting back to reasonable fitness. The seems to have kept fit so far and has had quite a few games. We will have to see if he breaks down over the last 10 games or so.
c. Many players in our current squad were at least top performers at our current level and have underachieved this season. Maybe there is something not quite right on a more general level and we might be wise to keep the talent that we have and focus on getting the best out of it rather than restarting the merry-go-round for another roll of the dice (if you'll forgive the mixed metaphors :-)
A. Maybe not this January, but last summer and previously, Dozzell has had suitors - most notably, Norwich. If we didn’t see him as a first team starter - then offload for as much as possible and re-invest in, say, a target man striker which we needed.
He hasn’t progressed over the last two years and Lambert has ignored him and left him out most Matchday squads. His value has decreased and with his contract situation he’s probably running down his contract where he’ll go for peanuts. I’d say a Championship team may take a cheap punt in him as he’s obviously got talent.
As for his attitude - I think he’s genuinely laid back and not really suited to the hurly-burly of League 1. I wouldn’t say he’s got a bad attitude.

B. Bishop wasn’t deemed fit enough to start midweek and we were forced to bring in Brett McGavin and Dozzell from the cold. We need fit and firing players, not ones we can wrap in cotton wool and not really trust. Add in Huws and Keane to that. I’d love Teddy to be a major player for us, but we need more than cameos and the odd bit of magic.

C. I couldn’t agree more. I’d love us to keep young talent as long as they’re progressing. But if they’re not getting regular first team games then they can’t progress. Under 23 football can’t do that for players like Dozzell and Dobra anymore. There does seem something wrong behind the scenes and maybe we’ll find out in the next couple of months. Could be a change of manager might convince Dozzell to stay here - and maybe excel, but this season he looks down the pecking order. If he can’t get ahead of Huws and Nolan then that says something.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:06 pm

I'm not sure how I feel about our academy. Downes and Woolfenden have done well...and many of us agree Dobra is another promising player. El Mizouni looks a talent, but now he's injured his knee; who knows if he'll ever be back to normal. Haven't Dozzell, Bishop, Folami and now El Mizouni all had knee injuries? That seems too much of a coincidence. Anyway, I think we'll find out how good our academy really is because most of the first team will be made up of academy players next season. I don't have any faith that any money we receive from transfers will be reinvested in the club (in the form of new players). Evan's will be projecting smaller attendances next season, so considering his 'business' mind he'll want a nest egg to rely on for day to day operations and wages. As depressing as it sounds, the only hope of promotion next season will lie heavily on our youngsters.
Last edited by number 9 on Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:27 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:06 pm
I'm not sure how I feel about our academy. Downes and Woolfenden have done well...and many of us agree Dobra is another promising player. El Mizouni looks a talent, but now he's injured his knee; who knows if he'll ever be back to normal. Haven't Dozzell, Bishop, Folami and now El Mizouni all had knee injuries? That seems too much of a coincidence. Anyway, I think we'll find out how good our academy really is because most of the first team will be made up of academy players next season. I don't have any faith that any money we receive from transfers will be reinvested in the club. Evan's will be projecting smaller attendances next season, so considering his 'business' mind he'll want a nest egg to rely on for day to day operations and wages. As depressing as it sounds, the only hope of promotion next season will lie heavily on our youngsters.
[/quote

Sadly, League 2 beckons.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:30 pm

More and more, I think League 2 may be a reality...of course, I hope I'm wrong.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:51 am

A bit of positivity during shitty times.

In the EADT, video of Dobra scoring a great solo goal yesterday for the 23’s. I know it’s 23’s, but this lad needs to get more minutes for the first team. Haven’t Nolan and Judge had enough chances?

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-t ... -1-6553340

From the article, this sounds at least more optimistic that he could be staying.

”Discussions regarding a new contract have been ongoing for several months but are yet to reach a conclusion, although he is understood to be keen to commit his future to the club. His current terms expire this summer, but the Blues hold the option to extend that deal for a further 18 months.”

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:32 pm

Great goal!!!