Ipswich Town vs Coventry City Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we p*ss on their parade?

Ipswich Win
15%
Coventry Win
80%
Draw
5%

Total votes: 20

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Coventry City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:06 pm

Jaysus H. Just saw some highlights. 🤦‍♂️

Here is a thought.

Anyone think that maybe everyone relaxing a bit and accepting League One for another season will help? Because let’s face it; that team is relegated from the championship by Christmas season 20/21.

Thinking people should maybe get off Paul’s case and give him a summer. Hopefully with a budget. No budget then why get stressed and have strokes like Ashford? Because it doesn’t matter who comes in the door. Like someone said, (maybe Azzurro) ALL have failed.

They looked worse than Cowdenbeath today.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:08 pm

Amazingly enough marko, that is lads opinion too. He wants to stick with lambert despite my protests. Who’s to say he is wrong?

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:14 pm

I’ve just seen a great tweet....

Apparently, the measure of success at ITFC is now not being quite as sh*t as you were in the previous game. Oh what heights we have ascended

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:19 pm

nicscreamer wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:14 pm
I’ve just seen a great tweet....

Apparently, the measure of success at ITFC is now not being quite as sh*t as you were in the previous game. Oh what heights we have ascended
WOW! Were Ipswich worse v Fleetwood? Fkn hell.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:20 pm

Believe me, it was possibly the worst I have ever seen vs fleetwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:20 pm

Many years ago when I had my season ticket in the West Stand watching Bobbly Robsons Muhren/Thijssen team I said to my mate “I can’t believe we’re watching this level of football week in week out, surely it can’t last forever, let’s enjoy it whilst we can”

Whilst those words still ring in my ears like yesterday, I can honestly say I never dreamt we could fall so far in my lifetime.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:32 pm

Charnwood wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:20 pm
......watching Bobbly Robsons Muhren/Thijssen team.....
That is the stuff of genuine dreams. Would’ve loved to have visited Portman Road for a game during those years.

Early 80s in Geelong, Australia, I always remember one particular Sunday morning when we got the English division one highlights...... that morning I wore my 78 cup final top, (with Wark on the back, sent over by my nana) and witnessed a 3-0 win v Southampton, and Norwich humped 5-3 @ Anfield.

Went out to the park after that with my ball anc ma pals and pretended to be Mariner with Wark written on my back!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:33 am

marko69 wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:32 pm
That is the stuff of genuine dreams. Would’ve loved to have visited Portman Road for a game during those years.

Early 80s in Geelong, Australia, I always remember one particular Sunday morning when we got the English division one highlights...... that morning I wore my 78 cup final top, (with Wark on the back, sent over by my nana) and witnessed a 3-0 win v Southampton, and Norwich humped 5-3 @ Anfield.

Went out to the park after that with my ball anc ma pals and pretended to be Mariner with Wark written on my back!
Aside from the flying Dutchmen, there are so many great memories. I remember the Clive Woods banana shot...we were trying to copy that long before the bend it like Beckham shots!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:34 am

Think this says it all.
We are bottom of the League 1 form table over the past 9 games.
Only Bolton, Tranmere and Southend are below us in the league 1 form table over the past 21 games.
Roll on the 3rd May when the curtain comes down on this season. However, unless something changes dramatically for the better during the summer months then I can't say I'm looking forward to the start of next season. Think it could be a real struggle.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:45 am

And to add insult to injury, as of Saturday we've played more games than anyone else!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:48 am

number 9 wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:33 am
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:32 pm

Aside from the flying Dutchmen, there are so many great memories. I remember the Clive Woods banana shot...we were trying to copy that long before the bend it like Beckham shots!
Yep was at Filbert Street that night for the 3rd replay.
As you say so many great memories and like others I don’t think I appreciated what I was watching at the time.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:19 am

Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:06 pm
Jaysus H. Just saw some highlights. 🤦‍♂️

Here is a thought.

Anyone think that maybe everyone relaxing a bit and accepting League One for another season will help? Because let’s face it; that team is relegated from the championship by Christmas season 20/21.

Thinking people should maybe get off Paul’s case and give him a summer. Hopefully with a budget. No budget then why get stressed and have strokes like Ashford? Because it doesn’t matter who comes in the door. Like someone said, (maybe Azzurro) ALL have failed.

They looked worse than Cowdenbeath today.
Tend to agree with this.

What PL now needs is help from Evans to rebuild a young, hungry squad that’s serious about promotion and staying up after that. In defence of Lambert he hasn’t had that: he’s had less than a million for new players and actually getting Norwood, KVY and Garbutt for that isn’t bad.

So now he needs funds to go and get the likes of Ivan Toney (assuming Posh don’t go up) who score for fun at this level. There’s no excuses, Town have the fan base and therefore the revenue.

And the two of them, PL and Evans, need to work out how to ditch the older players who failed at championship level and have now proved not good enough for promotion from league one either.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:19 am

I can’t see Mr Evans paying Peterborough £13m for Ivan Toney. That’s about 10x what he’s likely to get to rebuild a team.

https://www.geordiebootboys.com/transfe ... ont-go-up/

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/f ... n-17267667

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:35 am

[/url]
Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:19 am
I can’t see Mr Evans paying Peterborough £13m for Ivan Toney. That’s about 10x what he’s likely to get to rebuild a team.

I’m sure you’re right. That’s what we need tho.

I read an article on the athletic ‘The Sadness of Ipswich Town’ which I’ll try and link to if possible. In that Evans claims to put £5-7m into the club each year. Not sure where that got spent this season and does that mean £14m available for next? 😏
Last edited by JohnnyB on Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:41 am

And yeah Toney not realistic whether Posh go up or not but some quality signings are needed

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:37 am

JohnnyB wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:35 am
[/url]

I read an article on the athletic ‘The Sadness of Ipswich Town’ which I’ll try and link to if possible. In that Evans claims to put £5-7m into the club each year. Not sure where that got spent this season and does that mean £14m available for next? 😏
I don’t think you’re taking into account the wage bill and the running of the club. If we want to buy, we’ll have to sell. It won’t be easy to get rid of many of our players. Who would want them and would they be prepared to leave for less wages?
And if I was in Marcus Evans’ shoes, why would I give Paul Lambert more money. Evans has bank-rolled one of the biggest and expensive squads in League One, yet we’re currently one of the worst teams in this division.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:49 am

tangfastic wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:37 am

I don’t think you’re taking into account the wage bill and the running of the club. If we want to buy, we’ll have to sell. It won’t be easy to get rid of many of our players. Who would want them and would they be prepared to leave for less wages?
And if I was in Marcus Evans’ shoes, why would I give Paul Lambert more money. Evans has bank-rolled one of the biggest and expensive squads in League One, yet we’re currently one of the worst teams in this division.
I made the same point immediately following relegation. The only players we offloaded were those out of contract (apart from Bart). No one wanted the rest so you either have to pay their wages and keep them or buy out their contract.

I don't agree that we are one of the worst teams in the league. Our form is. But I still enjoyed yesterday's performance. We missed Downes (but we'd better get used to that) and our 2 main strikers are out. But we didn't look like a tam devoid of ability or confidence (unlike Tuesday's first half). Players didn't hide, they wanted the ball, and they moved it nicely, coupled with plenty of effort. At the start of the season when our luck was in, we'd have won that game. Luck balances out, and the good luck we had at the start has run out. We are, in my opinion, a mid-table side...but Coventry were poor. Peterborough aside, no one has looked great. It's an average league at best, but little to separate top from bottom. I wold take very little to turn us into a promotion chasing team next season...or one trying to avoid relegation. We are average....along with virtually everyone else. So just enjoy the decent performances. Yesterday was (in my opinion) one of those better matches.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:00 pm

[/url]

The 14m figure I meant wryly hence 😏. However while I don't know what the finances are I think Evans has to give PL money for new signings. He's backed him with a 5 year deal so he must have confidence in his ability to take the club forward; and no one can take a club forward without investment. He's surely not just paying him to go and face the media after disappointing results for five years.

Unfortunately I think money coming in for Downes and Woolfy may be unavoidable. So that's money towards new players who can perform at this level, Evans must at least match that.

As for moving on the old pros, not easy but surely necessary.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:16 pm

Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:00 pm
[/url]

The 14m figure I meant wryly hence 😏. However while I don't know what the finances are I think Evans has to give PL money for new signings. He's backed him with a 5 year deal so he must have confidence in his ability to take the club forward; and no one can take a club forward without investment. He's surely not just paying him to go and face the media after disappointing results for five years.

Unfortunately I think money coming in for Downes and Woolfy may be unavoidable. So that's money towards new players who can perform at this level, Evans must at least match that.

We’ll have to wait and see, but I think the 5 year deal was mainly PR and I’ll be surprised to see PL here next season. You can argue Evans did invest - he bankrolled a massive squad which was up to PL to turn into a promotion winning team ... or at least competing for the automatic places. He didn’t bankroll this squad to end up 10th or 12th.... or bottom of the form table. It’s not just Evans’ money - it’s up to PL to build and improve the team. He hasn’t done it, whilst lesser funded managers have.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:38 pm

And sack the PR guy. The vast majority of the “public” did not “relate” to the 5 years.

AndyM. You sound like you left Portman Road yesterday satisfied with what you witnessed. In your opinion, are the team very close to clicking and becoming a force to stamp authority on the Play-Off places?
Or are you satisfied that maybe they look like they’ll be ok to survive League One for a few years and they’re not looking like League Two candidates. I’m genuinely asking here.
If I had a buddy who seemed satisfied after a defeat at Easter Road, while in the division below to Stranraer, (which happened) ..... I’d be wanting to know what those positives were. Because I’m fairly certain my own eyes wouldn’t have witnessed any.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:21 pm

Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:38 pm

AndyM. You sound like you left Portman Road yesterday satisfied with what you witnessed. In your opinion, are the team very close to clicking and becoming a force to stamp authority on the Play-Off places?
Or are you satisfied that maybe they look like they’ll be ok to survive League One for a few years and they’re not looking like League Two candidates. I’m genuinely asking here.
I was happy with what I saw; more fight and some decent football. As I said, earlier in the season we would have taken a chance, they'd have missed theirs and we would have won 1 - 0 and everyone would be happy.

We aren't going to make the playoffs. If we can hold our own (I prefer that to holding someone else's...) in League 1, we have every chance of promotion in the next season or 2 because as I said previously, there are precious few good teams in the league. But on that performance I thought we were better than the league leaders. Their reaction was to pull us down every time we ran at them. We aren't ready for promotion, so I just enjoy some decent footy. Coventry are even less ready for promotion on that showing, so they'll need to spend a lot, or improve a lot, if they are to stay up.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:09 pm

Well, maybe the club will need to be “holding others’ own” for the remainder of this season, .... relying on other results going the clubs way. Rock bottom of form league and nose-diving towards League Two. It’s a tricky one.

Sticking to what I said before though. In this instance, it might be better to lay off the booing and just back Lambert for the remainder. Got to hope a few players start backing Lambert as well and pull their fingers out.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:09 pm

Andym wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:49 am

I made the same point immediately following relegation. The only players we offloaded were those out of contract (apart from Bart). No one wanted the rest so you either have to pay their wages and keep them or buy out their contract.

I don't agree that we are one of the worst teams in the league. Our form is. But I still enjoyed yesterday's performance. We missed Downes (but we'd better get used to that) and our 2 main strikers are out. But we didn't look like a tam devoid of ability or confidence (unlike Tuesday's first half). Players didn't hide, they wanted the ball, and they moved it nicely, coupled with plenty of effort. At the start of the season when our luck was in, we'd have won that game. Luck balances out, and the good luck we had at the start has run out. We are, in my opinion, a mid-table side...but Coventry were poor. Peterborough aside, no one has looked great. It's an average league at best, but little to separate top from bottom. I wold take very little to turn us into a promotion chasing team next season...or one trying to avoid relegation. We are average....along with virtually everyone else. So just enjoy the decent performances. Yesterday was (in my opinion) one of those better matches.
Hmmmm.... not sure about how well we played. We definitely played far better than against Fleetwood, but still looked toothless. Pretty at times, but no real end product.
I think we’re one of the most attractive sides in this division - if not the best - when we pass it around with the opposition happily camped in front of us. However, it becomes a problem when we then try to unlock a defence and create a chance.
Coventry created the two best chances through incisive football and scored from one of them. They didn’t really need to do much more TBH.... just sit back and let us string a few nice passes together before things fizzle out. A club who can take the lead against us must feel pretty confident they can hold on.
Did we outplay Coventry and they were lucky? I don’t think so.... I thought they were pretty comfortable.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:28 pm

Caught what highlights were available last night but it never tells the full story. From what was featured I thought the we looked a team low on confidence and self-belief. Some of the players body language indicated a lack of fight or determination. Once they got ahead it was always going to be tough to get back into it. The penalty claim we had before they scored, didn't get enough of a look at it to determine if it were a credible issue, was there enough contact to warrant a foul, they (presenters) seemed dismissive about it.

18,000 for a visit of the top team was disappointing, would have expected more of a turn out even with the poor form of recent. We're not of a quality to challenge for a promotion opportunity. So many factors holding the club back, realized ahead of time we weren't going back to Championship status before the season was even underway but all the same it's disappointing to see and play out as each week goes by.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:06 pm

[/url]

Johnny B: :shock: Gee wiz What F*****G planet are living on, :roll: if we sell Woolfy and Downes plus a few others that money will go to towards buying new players, :lol: :lol: FFS we wont see a brass razoo in funds to buy new players, Haven't you F*****G learned any thing over the past few seasons, our owner will not spend F*****G millions on new players, ITS loans and bloody freebees, what has he laid out this year ÂŁ500'000 for KVY and he broke out in a sweat over that :cry: . So please FFS wake up and smell the coffee over the spending, it aint going to happen. But keep on posting JB I love your optimism :P

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:12 pm

ashfordblue wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:06 pm

Johnny B: :shock: Gee wiz What F*****G planet are living on, :roll: if we sell Woolfy and Downes plus a few others that money will go to towards buying new players, :lol: :lol: FFS we wont see a brass razoo in funds to buy new players, Haven't you F*****G learned any thing over the past few seasons, our owner will not spend F*****G millions on new players, ITS loans and bloody freebees, what has he laid out this year ÂŁ500'000 for KVY and he broke out in a sweat over that :cry: . So please FFS wake up and smell the coffee over the spending, it aint going to happen. But keep on posting JB I love your optimism :P
You know when you’ve been Ashfordblued!

I know, I know I just can’t accept that our magnificent club with such loyal support belongs in league 1. Not sure I ever will

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:14 pm

Ashfordblued! Hahahahaha! Nice one 👍 :lol:

Ando

Post by Ando » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:13 am

ashfordblue wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:06 pm

Think you have forgotten the several million Ph spent on taking us to L1. So you are wrong in saying transfer money will not be reinvested.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:43 pm

Ando wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:13 am
Think you have forgotten the several million Ph spent on taking us to L1. So you are wrong in saying transfer money will not be reinvested.
Martyn Waghorn - ÂŁ5.04m
Adam Webster - ÂŁ3.6m
Joe Garner - ÂŁ1.26

Sold in Hurst's first window. That's ÂŁ9.9m and that's before additional clauses, before Webster's rose to ÂŁ8m itself and then again when he was sold for ÂŁ22m.

Hurst spent a hair over ÂŁ3m.

Money will not be reinvested.

Ando

Post by Ando » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:19 pm

Ricco wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:43 pm
Ando wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:13 am
Martyn Waghorn - ÂŁ5.04m
Adam Webster - ÂŁ3.6m
Joe Garner - ÂŁ1.26

Sold in Hurst's first window. That's ÂŁ9.9m and that's before additional clauses, before Webster's rose to ÂŁ8m itself and then again when he was sold for ÂŁ22m.

Hurst spent a hair over ÂŁ3m.

Money will not be reinvested.
The 3m accounts for Jackson, Harrison and Edwards. Donacian was £750k, then there is Nolan and Nsiala, I think I recall them being £1.5m for the pair. Then there’s the addition costs of all the loans we had to get in, chalobah, Quaner, Elder, Keane, Pennington, Bree and judge. Several of these were additions on top of the squad so thus eating into more of the transfer profit. No money in over the summer apart from Harrison. 500k on KVY.

The loans often attract a fee on top of the additional wages.

Not sure we have had the additional Webster Money yet? Who knows. We had the sale of Bart. We tried to loan and buy in the transfer window, but no figures available so hard to say.

Has it all been reinvested we will never know, but it’s far me than the 3 mil you have said.