How will we end this season?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Dubai Blue

How will we end this season?

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:31 pm

Shed on tour

Re: How will we end this season?

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:48 pm

The million dollar question.
Whatever decision is made it certainly is not going to please everybody. Even though I have tickets for the tournament I would scrap Euro 2020 completely. I know there is some talk of delaying it until December, how that would work for games to be played in St Petersburg and Copenhagen god knows due to the weather at that time of year, so those venues would no doubt have to be scrapped. As for holding it next summer again that will cause other issues.
If possible I feel the completion of league fixtures throughout Europe should come before international fixtures.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:03 pm

The proposal increase the PL is bollocks imo. Football is not just about them, what about the knock on effect it will have giving more teams more money for longer.

Euro 20 needs postponing and ALL current competitions concluded before any others commence. If that means playing well into the summer then so be it.

I’ve seen jokes about Liverpool etc. But they deserve the right to win the PL in a proper fashion, same as promotion and relegation across all leagues. Unless you conclude the season there will winners and losers if you change the rules during the season.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:33 pm

The latest rumour is that the over70s are to be told to self isolate for up to 4 months. While I appreciate not too many over 70s are still playing professional football, I think it's an indication that this could still be an issue by the end of July. I'm not sure how this season could be completed without a dramatic knick on effect for next season. And then of course it could all kick off (😁 ) again next winter....

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:04 pm

Why not finish this season fixtures when it can be done Even in August onwards and not have a 20/21 season would make more sense.?
If the Virus continues into next season that could be stopped anyway.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:18 pm

BLUEBLOOD wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:04 pm
Why not finish this season fixtures when it can be done Even in August onwards and not have a 20/21 season would make more sense.?
If the Virus continues into next season that could be stopped anyway.
Very sensible. Except many clubs would go bust without gate receipts for a year. Still, it could eventually see transfer fees and wages become more sensible for those clubs that survived.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:32 pm

Its behind closed doors to end the season, no other option.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:21 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:32 pm
You're probably right. I guess some fixtures would still be called off if a team needs to self isolate.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:47 pm

Andym wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:21 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:32 pm
You're probably right. I guess some fixtures would still be called off if a team needs to self isolate.
Hopefully we'll get a few draws at least then.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:46 pm

Heard someone suggest that we see out this season and then only start the next season in the winter.

Do the same the following year you end up with the season ending before the stupidly located and timed next World Cup is due (so it is not happening mid-season). You could then let the players have a good break and get the timing back to normal the next year.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm

The Premier League clubs are set to meet on Thursday, two days after Uefa discuss the fate of Euro 2020. I’ll be very surprised if the EFL doesn’t mirror whatever the EPL decide so I guess we’ll be far better informed by the end of the week.

Only ladt Thursday, England's chief medical officer Professor Chris Whitty said the peak of the UK outbreak is most likely 10 to 14 weeks away, this would take us through to late May or early June which makes it hard to imagine any football game being played in front of fans in two or three weeks' time.

It’s anyones guess how this will be resolved but it may need some decisive thinking outside of the box.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:08 am

Be good to see all remaining games played out with gloves and surgical masks if only for comic effect. In all seriousness this issue isn't going to see a quick resolve. Say again got no problem with the Euro Championships being taken off, only a goddamn nuisance when they come around but can somehow see it going ahead as planned.

Would be mighty fine to see Liverpool f*cked out of a first League Championship in 30 years but realize this won't happen but sh*t happens. As for ourselves I'd maybe settle for the season to end here and now. Fair enough you'd miss the (last few) weekly interaction but guess we're playing out a handful of games now that are largely immaterial. Promotion opportunity still available but you know the team won't make it by seasons end.

If there is one you might add.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:11 pm

If you don’t appreciate Liverpool winning the Premier League Title this season you’re not a fan of football Saint.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:21 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:11 pm
If you don’t appreciate Liverpool winning the Premier League Title this season you’re not a fan of football Saint.
Totally agree. Liverpool have been superb this season and very much deserve the title. I don't begrudge them it one bit.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:55 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:21 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:11 pm
Totally agree. Liverpool have been superb this season and very much deserve the title. I don't begrudge them it one bit.
Yep 👍

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:33 pm

Sheeeesh Saint, would hate to think whatever Liverpool has done do you

Cannot think of any other season when a team is so far better than the rest, just look at the table. Like been mentioned if you can't appreciate just how good Liverpool are, and how they deserve to win the Premier league, then seriously question if you are a fan or not of football

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:52 pm

Saint, I’m afraid you’re walking alone with those comments... and you’ll never walk alone...LIVERPOOL!...LIVERPOOL!...LIVERPOOL!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:19 pm

I think Forfar would have got promoted too :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:25 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:19 pm
I think Forfar would have got promoted too :lol:
LMAO!!! Superb 👍👏👏

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:45 pm

saint jude wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:08 am
Be good to see all remaining games played out with gloves and surgical masks if only for comic effect. In all seriousness this issue isn't going to see a quick resolve. Say again got no problem with the Euro Championships being taken off, only a goddamn nuisance when they come around but can somehow see it going ahead as planned.

Would be mighty fine to see Liverpool f*cked out of a first League Championship in 30 years but realize this won't happen but sh*t happens. As for ourselves I'd maybe settle for the season to end here and now. Fair enough you'd miss the (last few) weekly interaction but guess we're playing out a handful of games now that are largely immaterial. Promotion opportunity still available but you know the team won't make it by seasons end.

Totally agree with this Saint, Also give them summit else to whine about, they deserve nothing.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:36 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:45 pm
saint jude wrote:

Totally agree with this Saint, Also give them summit else to whine about, they deserve nothing.

go on, Why the hate? those last three words.."They deserve nothing" Bollox.. Losing respect for you G & B.. BIG TIME !!!

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:40 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:36 pm
goldandblack wrote:
saint jude wrote:

go on, Why the hate? those last three words.."They deserve nothing" Bollox.. Losing respect for you G & B.. BIG TIME !!!
No need to shout Steve and Jo :wink:
Perhaps the word DESERVE is a bit strong, I will put another way, I hope they win nothing not just this season but for just the next trillion years, Id rather see Sandwell Town win the World Cup. :? can I just have a bit of respect back in small caps please :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards G & B

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:24 pm

Simple math there's always been a considerable dislike for them. Just to clarify any misunderstanding or ambiguity followed Everton for a substantial number of years. Was in attendance at two Cup Finals in the 1980's that turned to sh*t, the first occasion was particularly unbearable. Other instances have been in abundance over time but what's done is done.

Team I can't abide above all others with West Ham some distance behind in second position. Wish them every misfortune. Sure there's Norwich but that's harmless enough, they're simply a small club with near zero history. It's more a sympathy thing I got no real animosity concerning them but all the same any setback they endure is all mighty fine.

Pleased Euro 2020 is canceled it provides a little more room to maneuver although some are going to be upset. Primary concern is finalizing an end to the current situation i.e. the Covid 19 issue. Got to realize priorities here and doing what's required to the best interests of others.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:16 am

goldandblack wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:40 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:36 pm
goldandblack wrote:

No need to shout Steve and Jo :wink:
Perhaps the word DESERVE is a bit strong, I will put another way, I hope they win nothing not just this season but for just the next trillion years, Id rather see Sandwell Town win the World Cup. :? can I just have a bit of respect back in small caps please :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards G & B
Totally agree with this, really don't want Liverpool to win anything ever. On the flip side how would we as fans feel if we were sitting top of the league and there is a chance the season could be cancelled. Coventry must be thinking another season in League 1 when we should be promoted.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:23 am

Love or loathe any particular team, i think Liverpool are miles ahead of every team this year, their points tally proves that. That said, i bet even Jurgen Klopp would rather complete the season. To explain what i mean; despite being on the verge of winning the title and next to uncatchable, there will be those who'll say they won it by default, if they were just awarded the title.
Yes, i guess i have a soft spot for Liverpool. I went to a school (in the late 70s) about 10 miles from Norwich, where most kids were Ipswich, Liverpool or Arsenal fans (yes, glory hunters :lol: )! On the flip side, i can see where other fans don't want to see Liverpool win it, as i would be fed up if Man City, Man U or Chelsea were in the same position as LFC. However, this would be totally based on their title wins in more recent years. Had either of those 3 sides not won the title for, say, 20+ years, then i would begrudge them a hell of a lot less.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:31 pm

Times change and things move on. Clubs change owners, managers and players. To have a hatred if any team always strikes me as a bit odd. Sure, there's some I look out for and want to do well, others I like to see struggle. But some of the rabid desire for a team to be robbed of what they've achieved because of something in their history just seems strange.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:02 pm

Andym wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:31 pm
Times change and things move on. Clubs change owners, managers and players. To have a hatred if any team always strikes me as a bit odd. Sure, there's some I look out for and want to do well, others I like to see struggle. But some of the rabid desire for a team to be robbed of what they've achieved because of something in their history just seems strange.
Totally agree..... apart from Man Utd :D .....

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:22 am

Any more thoughts on this folks? Now the clubs are starting to say that it won't be possible to end this season before late Summer at the earliest and others are starting to say that it's not safe for players to play even behind doors games (can't really argue with that).

So my idea (or a variation of it) is starting to look more real right? It could be varied to restart the season on Jan 1 and finish early at end Feb maybe followed with some kind of a mini tournament involving all the football league teams, maybe as an opportunity to raise funds to support the lower league teams in particular which will have suffered mightily.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:46 pm

The thing is, Covid 19 isn’t going away. Experts say it will take approximately 18 months to develop a vaccine. So whether the season restarts at the end of summer or in January, doesn’t really make a difference. October is generally the beginning of flu contractions lasting about 6 months and generally peaking in February. Either you finish the season under extreme safety precautions including closed doors, or you postpone everything entirely until there is a vaccine. I hope the powers to be decide on some kind of closed door approach, but of course the safety of everyone should be considered first.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:53 am

Number 9. I get what you say but my understanding about 'flattening the curve' is that once you have got the epidemic under some kind of control you actually ease the restrictions because you don't worry about people getting infected when you know they can be taken care of. It's likely that long before the end of the year we will also have an effective treatment and also will have significant herd immunity in the community. I don't see the world waiting for a vaccine before we get back to something approaching normal.

Also I would have my money on a vaccine being available well before the end of the year as those that are effective in trails that have already started will be fast tracked, although might well be needed in the 3rd world and for our healthcare workers long before we get our greasy paws on it.

Just my opinions of course.....