So how are we all feeling folks?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Blue Wilf

Re: So how are we all feeling folks?

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:34 am

Happy days indeed. Much like our footy team at the time, Ipswich punched above its weight in terms of bands that came here. Thats what makes me so sad to see the Club and the Town as a whole like it is now...

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:41 pm

Wow, 9. Scorpions at the Gaumont must’ve been incredible? Was it the “Love at First Sting” tour? Which was essentially the “World Wide Live” album. Absolutely incredible band and that must be some memory.

The Ipswich Gaumont has many memories for me too. Although I’ve never set foot in the building. Every poster I bought at the Edinburgh Playhouse had tour dates ...... the Gaumont was always on there. 👍

For me, the most memorable gig was Marillion, Dec 87.
But others include Iron Maiden (somewhere in time tour 86) , Twisted Sister, Dio (several times) Sabbath with Glen Hughes on vocals, Ozzy (ultimate sin tour with Ratt supporting) Saxon, Metallica with Anthrax support (6 days before Burton died, Puppets tour 86) Metallica again, 91 with Testament supporting.

Genesis October 92, “We can’t dance” tour. This was a one off gig at the Ed playhouse. My 27 year old type 1 diabetic daughter was at this...... in the womb, born December 92. She hates prog rock. I do wonder if that night put her off. I also wonder how my ex wife suffered the 25 minute epic medley including The Musical Box! 😳
The 80s / early 90s were the absolute best until
the SECC was built in Glasgow. Then it all turned to crap.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:42 pm

I must say, this whole Pandemic has made me realise how unimportant our promotion is. All I really want to happen now is the pandemic to end and us to actually still have a club to support.

There will likely be many many clubs in a far worse position in a few months. Fingers crossed the professional game comes out in tact.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:09 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:41 pm
Wow, 9. Scorpions at the Gaumont must’ve been incredible? Was it the “Love at First Sting” tour? Which was essentially the “World Wide Live” album. Absolutely incredible band and that must be some memory.
I believe it was the Blackout tour in 82. I remember the theater being pitch black and silent for what seemed like an eternity when suddenly a bright light formed at the bottom of the stage as the band's silhouettes appeared from a rising elevator. Then with a flash and a bang the show started with Blackout. It was an incredible show!

Thin Lizzy was also awesome! Phil Lynott shined a beam of slight from the plate on his guitar into the audience. He said, "Are there any fans in here with any Irish in them?" And the crowd cheered. Then he said, "Are there any girls in here who'd like a little more Irish in them?" And the crowd went crazy! I'm thrilled I got to see Phil perform live!

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:59 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:42 pm
There will likely be many many clubs in a far worse position in a few months. Fingers crossed the professional game comes out in tact.
Fingers crossed this is a shot across the bow for the professional game, wouldn't it be great if pay and transfer caps came in, agents got the boot etc.

Many things will be damaged by this pandemic, but there will be some good that comes from it, hopefully football is something that benefits in the long run. Can't really see it happening, but I can hope!!

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:44 pm

Ricco wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:59 pm
nicscreamer wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:42 pm
Fingers crossed this is a shot across the bow for the professional game, wouldn't it be great if pay and transfer caps came in, agents got the boot etc.

Many things will be damaged by this pandemic, but there will be some good that comes from it, hopefully football is something that benefits in the long run. Can't really see it happening, but I can hope!!
It certainly ought to make clubs stop living beyond their means. It would lower transfer fees and wages for many. It would widen the gap between the rich few and everyone else but otherwise it could indeed be a positive.

I've said before that I'd really like to see a maximum wage, topped up by appearance money. It might deter a few from going to the big clubs if they could earn more by playing in the championship instead of not even making the bench in the prem. But it'll never happen.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:03 am

I can't actually see how football will be immune to everything that is going on, I am almost certain it will change.

Travel, tourism and hospitality will take years to recover and there will be fewer airlines, cafes etc.

People arent going to instantly go back and fill stadiums in my opinion, I believe people will be more cautious until this epedemic is well behind us.

Therefore, I suspect less money into the sport and possibly reduced TV rights which under a standard economic model will mean some of the over-heated transfer and wage numbers will drop accordingly, much like the equity markets.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:30 pm

No-one seems to know when the virus will end, in fact people mention it hasn't even reached a peak as yet. Say this goes on well into the summer months and no further games are played or undertaken, what happens to the results thus far ? Stays as it is and teams in the promotion and relegation places go up and down as they are or the season is made void and scores erased ?

The latter seems unthinkable but say again this isn't going to be over any time soon. Games have to commence again at some point in time but the truth being this could - or will - occur much later than many would envisage. Would be bizarre to see the 'business end' of a season occur in the fall or many months after the intended finish date / time.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:15 pm

saint jude wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:30 pm
No-one seems to know when the virus will end, in fact people mention it hasn't even reached a peak as yet. Say this goes on well into the summer months and no further games are played or undertaken, what happens to the results thus far ? Stays as it is and teams in the promotion and relegation places go up and down as they are or the season is made void and scores erased ?

The latter seems unthinkable but say again this isn't going to be over any time soon. Games have to commence again at some point in time but the truth being this could - or will - occur much later than many would envisage. Would be bizarre to see the 'business end' of a season occur in the fall or many months after the intended finish date / time.
I originally wondered how it could be sorted before the start of next season. But now I can't really see next season starting on time. It just might take a large part of next season to finish this one. And if time allows, maybe a short season afterwards where teams only play each other once.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:28 pm

Hopefully they'll play the rest of the season behind closed doors. At least the folks at home will have something to watch on the telly.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:32 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:28 pm
Hopefully they'll play the rest of the season behind closed doors. At least the folks at home will have something to watch on the telly.
agree, I think this will be the outcome, but as said its only football,

Fosun Group doing there bit

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/hea ... -the-city/

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:12 am

[/quote]
I originally wondered how it could be sorted before the start of next season. But now I can't really see next season starting on time. It just might take a large part of next season to finish this one. And if time allows, maybe a short season afterwards where teams only play each other once.
[/quote]

That's actually a good point and given the fact that we are still months away from normality and probably things won't start to settle down until towards the end of the year, maybe it would make sense to just suspend everything and resume the current season on 1st March 2021.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:26 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:12 am
.....maybe it would make sense to just suspend everything and resume the current season on 1st March 2021.
That’s the best idea so far. 👍

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:50 pm

And what happens to the 20/21 season, like it doesn't even begin or go ahead (?). The idea put forward suggests no "football" for another twelve months. August arrives in a relatively short time and the epidemic is still prevalent, everything is suspended or put on hold until the following spring one year from now. Seems bizarre whichever way you view it.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:13 pm

Nothing wrong with the 19-20 season becoming the 19-21 season if that is what it takes.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:51 pm

With every passing day, Saint, the majority of people are going to care less and less about the football season, and when the present one ends, or when the new one is starting.
Unfortunately this is one crisis where the world DOES stop what’s it doing and takes notice of what’s going on around.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:50 pm

This has just popped up on twitter.

Brings it a little closer to home.

https://twitter.com/EmyrHuws1/status/12 ... 2925544448

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:23 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:12 am
[/quote]

That's actually a good point and given the fact that we are still months away from normality and probably things won't start to settle down until towards the end of the year, maybe it would make sense to just suspend everything and resume the current season on 1st March 2021.
[/quote]

Oh please - I doubt if even any Premier League clubs would survive a year's break, much less the EFL clubs

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:42 pm

Sorry I haven't contributed much lately.
Just wanted to say I hope you are all well and stay safe in this anxious time.

Marv

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:38 pm

Anyone heard from Charnwood? Spain has taken over second spot for most deaths. What about Bluemike? Has anyone got an update on how he's doing?

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:28 pm

Both have logged on today (this afternoon in fact) so I assume all is well.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:33 pm

Hey seriously has anyone heard from Bluemike? I really am worried about him and I’ve never met him. I can only imagine what he must be going through: he’s a healthcare worker right? It would definitely uplift me if he posted a few comments...just so I’d know he’s ok.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:15 pm

Mike logged in yesterday.

Charnwood logged in today.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:38 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:15 pm
Mike logged in yesterday.

Charnwood logged in today.
Cheers Marko, I'll send him a pm. I've seen Charnwood on here several times. I think he's doing ok. Of course, I hope everyone is ok!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:13 pm

Ask him if he’s busy making TikToks like the majority of the NHS. :lol:

My wee sister, a GP in the borders and regularly making work related visits to Borders general hospital for Covid related issues ——-> is making humorous TikToks with colleagues to keep themselves sane. 👍

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:17 pm

But.........., not a good sight from London today. NHS supporters on a London Bridge, crowded, with police joining in, all applauding. No social distancing .... all absolute f**king tw@ts.
Yes..... let’s applaud the NHS while infecting each other making it all f**king worse.
Anyone else close to putting their fist through a brick wall with anger?

Fk it..,,,. Off to watch more TikToks.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:21 pm

Not much chance of catching me on Tik Tok, having just looked it up the average user is in the age range 16-24, that’s just outside my age group 😉

Anyway, after No9’s enquiry (thanks mate👍) I thought it only polite to report in. All is remarkably good here on the Spanish coast where we are lucky enough to be in one of the safest areas of Spain. Our region known as the Marina Alta has low volumes of infected people and small numbers hospitalised, I think the current number of confirmed cases up to yesterday was 190 with 16 deaths and that’s in a population of circa 175,000. Our small town of Moraira (Pop 10,000) has one recorded death, a lady age 85yrs with other underlying conditions, our neighbouring village lost a 34yr old Protection Office who’d volunteered to help in Madrid where he became infected. That’s the total sum of our local reported deaths.

With this low number of infections our lockdown feels a little heavy handed but at least it stops visitors arriving at their holiday homes from Madrid and Valencia where infections are much higher. I think we’re now in week 5 of a very strict lockdown which is heavily policed and I’ve left the house for less than 60 minutes over that period, luckily we have plenty of outdoor space.

I’m not sure what the next stage of lockdown will bring but we fully expect a further three week extension before any let up. Our real concern is any relaxation to tourism, although the extra income is urgently needed by local small businesses, the 40,000 extra visitors every week (which is the norm for July & August) would definitely come with exceptional risks. It could be tourism gets cancelled for 2020 and we have the beaches to ourselves this summer which would be very nice for the residents, but a nightmare for restauranteurs and bar owners.

Stay safe everyone, but don’t worry too much about me in Spain, I think there are greater risks in many parts of the UK and also the USA where I have two daughters, two son in laws and three grandkids to worry about.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:21 pm

I never knew you were only 15 Charny!!

I wonder if the difference in climate zones across Spain are showing much?! Noting that it was the cold north of Italy that got hit and the cold centre of Spain. Probably hard to tell as Madrid is such a travel hub and dense population, but worth thinking about how summer temperatures could affect the spread...

UK is just a mess data-wise, only testing the sick, way down on number of tests compared to every other country and as soon as we test more it looks like there is a rise in cases, so nothing can be analysed well because its completely inconsistent and we have no idea who and how people are being tested! The population is blind, but I guess that's good for the government, people don't have ammo to complain if they have no ammo at all!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:59 pm

number 9 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:33 pm
Hey seriously has anyone heard from Bluemike? I really am worried about him and I’ve never met him. I can only imagine what he must be going through: he’s a healthcare worker right? It would definitely uplift me if he posted a few comments...just so I’d know he’s ok.
Hi mate,
Thanks for your concern, I am ok atm as far as I'm aware, life is just nothing but work atm, things are tough and not very pleasant tbh but needs must I guess, it's all a bit surreal right now, pretty close to the front line is tense every minute of every day, waking up every day and feeling well is a massive bonus. You take care of yourself too, that goes for everyone on here.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:03 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:21 pm
I never knew you were only 15 Charny!!

I wonder if the difference in climate zones across Spain are showing much?! Noting that it was the cold north of Italy that got hit and the cold centre of Spain. Probably hard to tell as Madrid is such a travel hub and dense population, but worth thinking about how summer temperatures could affect the spread...

UK is just a mess data-wise, only testing the sick, way down on number of tests compared to every other country and as soon as we test more it looks like there is a rise in cases, so nothing can be analysed well because its completely inconsistent and we have no idea who and how people are being tested! The population is blind, but I guess that's good for the government, people don't have ammo to complain if they have no ammo at all!
15 Ricco, I can’t even remember that far back !

Hey talking of data, Spain weren’t brilliant at the start and had to play catch up, particularly with care home stats but these are now thought to be pretty much accurate. That said we will have a spike for a few days as Care Home stats for the Catalunya Region are added into the figures over this weekend which will make our stats look bad, especially when compared with other countries without any explanation. ☹️