Cult players

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

barmy billy

Re: Cult players

Post by barmy billy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:31 am

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:07 pm
verulam wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:39 pm
Big All was one hell of a player but do you remember the player that went to Blackburn as part of the deal that brought Hunter to Portman Road? It was Bobby Bell and his partnership with Derek Jefferson had them described as two of the hardest defenders in the division.
Going back a bit further in time I liked Jo Broadfoot. He was a winger with an incredible turn of speed and a good eye for goal (20 in 100 games). He came from Millwall in 1963, went to Northampton in 65 (their one and only season in the TOP division) then went back to Millwall before returning to Town in 67. Had a Jag E type and was also a registered London black cab driver.
Blimey, I’d forgotten Joe Broadfoot, what a brilliant quick and tricky winger he was, a really fast No 7 as I recall. I’d also forgotten he left us and came back again.
I've just looked at this thread for the first time. Joe Broadfoot is one of my all time favourites. Great player.

I hope you are coping ok in Spain, Charnwood. By all accounts it's pretty over there at the moment. I am finding it all so surreal: blue sky, sunny, warm, birds singing & then we come back to this bloody frightening pandemic.

Stay safe.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:38 pm

Marvinbay1973 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:21 am
number 9 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:28 pm
Who was it who had such a bad shot we all used to joke the ball probably hit the twentieth row or higher in the stands? :lol:
Shefki ?
HaHa yeah he was one of them...Who was that player we had who came from the ManU youth system? He recently scored against us in a League one match. I recall he was quite pacey, but couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. I think there was even a song about him. :lol:

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:19 am

Ted Phillips was very good at aiming at the goal & nearly hitting the corner flag.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:00 am

number 9 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:38 pm
Marvinbay1973 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:21 am
number 9 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:28 pm
Who was it who had such a bad shot we all used to joke the ball probably hit the twentieth row or higher in the stands? :lol:
Shefki ?
HaHa yeah he was one of them...Who was that player we had who came from the ManU youth system? He recently scored against us in a League one match. I recall he was quite pacey, but couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. I think there was even a song about him. :lol:
What the fullback

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:16 pm

Lee Martin is the player you are thinking about. Scored the winner against us when playing for Exeter in that waste of time cup competition.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:17 pm

Although Gary Roberts could also fit parts of that description :lol:.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:22 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:16 pm
Lee Martin is the player you are thinking about. Scored the winner against us when playing for Exeter in that waste of time cup competition.
You’ve nailed it. Trying to think who that was. No. 9 started a quiz without knowing it.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:35 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:22 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:16 pm
You’ve nailed it. Trying to think who that was. No. 9 started a quiz without knowing it.
Haha! That's who I was thinking about! Typical he'd bloody score against us! :astroll:

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:14 pm

forgot about him

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:51 pm

One thing i have noticed is that goalkeepers never seem to be mentioned in a cult status! In my time of watching town i have been trying to think of who (& why) might fit that bill.
I think perhaps Kelvin Davis seemed to have a great rapport with the fans. Any of our home grown talents - Wright, Price or Supple; loanees such as Alexander or Begovic; maybe Sereni, the big money signing, but perhaps for me i think that Bart, as one of our more recent No1s is probably the one i would pick

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:46 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:51 pm
One thing i have noticed is that goalkeepers never seem to be mentioned in a cult status! In my time of watching town i have been trying to think of who (& why) might fit that bill.
I think perhaps Kelvin Davis seemed to have a great rapport with the fans. Any of our home grown talents - Wright, Price or Supple; loanees such as Alexander or Begovic; maybe Sereni, the big money signing, but perhaps for me i think that Bart, as one of our more recent No1s is probably the one i would pick

Proof that Blue Mike isn’t logging in or got more important priorities ATM as I’m sure he’d challenge Bart as a cult player.

I’d put Paul Cooper as a cult hero. At one time, the only player in our first eleven who wasn’t a full international, yet he’s got to go down as one of the best penalty savers of all time.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:35 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:46 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:

Proof that Blue Mike isn’t logging in or got more important priorities ATM as I’m sure he’d challenge Bart as a cult player.

I’d put Paul Cooper as a cult hero. At one time, the only player in our first eleven who wasn’t a full international, yet he’s got to go down as one of the best penalty savers of all time.
Cooper was my favorite Town keeper. I never understood why Burley spent all that money on Sereni. I did like the acquisition of Finidi George, but I think we got him after his prime. Who was that French midfielder who got injured in his first game?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:57 pm

Matteo Sereni wasn't with us long. Must have been brought in for cover after Wright departed. Didn't get many rave reviews from recollection in fact he was often castigated if correct. Stands to reason he wasn't with us for the long stay.

After that was Davis, part of the Royle set-up that challenged for promotion but twice fell at the penultimate hurdle. Reliable name in with a team of capables but would have been out by time Sheepshanks handed over ownership ? Cooper of course would be the #1 choice for most stellar candidate in the goal department although other names before and after deserve some mention also.

Winning the second league with McGarry in 67,68, I don't recall who was goalkeeper at that time although feel the need to include a name on the basis of the achievement.

verulam

Post by verulam » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:31 pm

Us old timers would like to see Laurie Sivell included. Born in Lowestoft he was just 5ft 8 inches tall yet was a remarkably brave player known for diving at the feet of oncoming forwards.
Did blot his copybook at Arsenal where for some reason he will never be able to explain he threw the ball over his shoulder into the net at the Clock End!

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:40 pm

Andy Marshall anybody? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, Paul Cooper was definitely a fantastic penalty stopper and an ITFC icon. Sadly was a bit before i started really following Town, so was unable to endorse any cult status he might have had, other than video clips seen.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:52 pm

number 9 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:35 pm
tangfastic wrote:
AzzurroMark wrote:

Cooper was my favorite Town keeper. I never understood why Burley spent all that money on Sereni. I did like the acquisition of Finidi George, but I think we got him after his prime. Who was that French midfielder who got injured in his first game?
Is this another Number 9 quiz? :wink: :lol:

Ulrich le Pen was the French midfielder in question.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:41 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:52 pm
number 9 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:35 pm
tangfastic wrote:

Is this another Number 9 quiz? :wink: :lol:

Ulrich le Pen was the French midfielder in question.
Haha yeah sorry my memory is sh*t. Le Pen supposedly had a really high assist ratio, but we never got to see it due to injury. Same thing with Finidi George, his injuries interrupted what could have been a strong midfield at the time. Burley really was unlucky during that period.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:02 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:19 am
Ted Phillips was very good at aiming at the goal & nearly hitting the corner flag.
But hey BB, what a penalty taker he was !

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:12 pm

saint jude wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:57 pm
Matteo Sereni wasn't with us long. Must have been brought in for cover after Wright departed. Didn't get many rave reviews from recollection in fact he was often castigated if correct. Stands to reason he wasn't with us for the long stay.

After that was Davis, part of the Royle set-up that challenged for promotion but twice fell at the penultimate hurdle. Reliable name in with a team of capables but would have been out by time Sheepshanks handed over ownership ? Cooper of course would be the #1 choice for most stellar candidate in the goal department although other names before and after deserve some mention also.

Winning the second league with McGarry in 67,68, I don't recall who was goalkeeper at that time although feel the need to include a name on the basis of the achievement.
Our GK would have been Ken Hancock, does anyone else remember the favourite fans chant at that time....

Aye aye aye aye, Hancock is better than Yashin,
Crawford is better than Eusebio,
and Norwich are in for a Thrashin.

“Norwich” of course could be replaced by whoever the opposition was on the day.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:01 pm

Unless I missed it, I think we're forgetting probably the greatest cult player of all.

Kevin Beattie-The Beat!

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:07 pm

Kevin Beattie name speaks entirely for itself.

Reading some 'on this day' stories, Jimmy Bullard's name cropped up. I thought he was a bit of a cult player perhaps? Other names who came to us in the twilight of their careers were Sylvain Legwinski and Ivan Campo, but did their former status' just enhance their standing in the view of fans to the point they seemed like cult players?

Sorry if i seem to be squeezing the life out of this topic, it is just saddening (though totally understandable) to see so little going on.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:43 pm

Forgot about Campo, easy oversight in essence how long was he with us. Like Finidi George we brought in an ex-European Cup winner at least the latter featured more prominent. Wouldn't label either in cult status though.

Going to include (Colin) Viljoen in this. Selected in a team in favor of a fit-again Osborne at the end of the 1978 season at Aston Villa, we lost 1 - 6. Osborne was reinstated for the Cup Final and the following is history.

In no way was Bullard a cult player, bulldog chewing wasps comes to mind and find it almost impossible to include the name among those that deserve it. It's not so easy to make a list as it may seem, I got a whole host of names that after some consideration decided not to include. I.e. Ian Marshall, Neil Gregory, De Vos, Paz, Palmer, Bart-Williams et cetera.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:44 pm

Surprising how many names get forgotten over the years isn't it? How could i have forgotten De Vos!
Marshall is a fantastic shout too SJ. Had a running style a bit like a cart horse at times, but the key thing was that he knew how to find the back of the net.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:53 pm

Marshall would have been brought in about the time of the Lyall / Burley switch. Think the idea must have been to bolster the attack options although the team were on a mission to finish in last place in the league. Remember seeing him score at Highbury towards the end of the season however by that time the opposition had scored four themselves. Wasn't here long and in retrospect seems something of a strange name to have on board.

That Oldham team of the early 1990's, Royle as manager, Marshall was part of that if memory serves, they had a really good set-up that challenged for honors and won the old second division year before us. Not sure we needed to bring him in a few years after.

martiguesblue

Post by martiguesblue » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:13 pm

Good afternoon all,

Have enjoyed reading your comments for a while but have yet to post, anyway my offering is Colin 'ace' Viljeon

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:33 pm

martiguesblue wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:13 pm
Good afternoon all,

Have enjoyed reading your comments for a while but have yet to post, anyway my offering is Colin 'ace' Viljeon

Welcome to the forum mate, thanks for posting.

cheers Dave

martiguesblue

Post by martiguesblue » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:41 pm

Thanks Dave and looking foward to participateing a bit more

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:49 pm

martiguesblue wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:13 pm
Good afternoon all,

Wow what a good choice, just loved watching him play in my teenage years in the North Stand, signed by Bill McGarry as I recall. I always thought Arnold Muhren was our first foreign signing but didn’t Viljoen come from South Africa ?

Trying to think of the team in his early days. Ken Hancock in goal, Tommy Carroll RB, Bill Baxter CH, Derek Jefferson LH, Forward Line, Colin Viljoen, Danny Hegan, Ray Crawford, Gerry Baker & Frank Brogan.

I can’t for the life of me think of the two players I’m missing but I will over the weekend.

Although he was South African didn’t he win a couple of caps for England when Don Revie was in charge ?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:58 pm

Just thought who the missing players could have been ?

Colin Harper or Mick McNeil at full back. Cyril Lea maybe No 4 RH.

Another couple around that time would have been Charlie Woods RW and Eddie Spearitt LW but maybe that was after Frank Brogan.

martiguesblue

Post by martiguesblue » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:25 am

Hi Charnwood ,

He was and he did , we also had Beattie, the original David Johnson in the England squad at that time

Mathie's hat-rick against Norwich is well remembered - Viljeons less so , and at Carrow Road.

Houghton, Barnard and Hunt were also in and around the team at that point.
Last edited by martiguesblue on Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.