Missing your footy fix?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Andym

Missing your footy fix?

Post by Andym » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:53 pm

Worryingly I'm finding that I'm actually not missing football at all. Usually during the close season I get twitchy and can't wait for the new season to start.

I guess it's because we are near the end of a season with little to look forward to even if it restarts.

Am I the only one who really couldn't care less about it?

Frosty
Forum Owner

Re: Missing your footy fix?

Post by Frosty » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:10 am

Yeah, I must say with the long hours I am doing at work at the moment Andy, I havent really had much time to even think about football.

Still in two minds whether they should finish the current season or start a new season when they come back. Football behind closed doors
isn't really what Football should be, but I imagine commercial realities/committments will dictate the answer.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:05 am

Funnily enough, I am not missing the footy as much as i thought i would. I too usually hate the close season. What i am missing however are 'normal' activities like going out, seeing family and friends and not being restricted. I sometimes feel the slower pace of life is nice but then i remember all the things i had to look forward to this year (several concerts, a daughters wedding and holidays), plus the fact that we have totally bombed the economy which will take generations to recover from and it all feels very depressing... i don't like the thought of this 'new normal' at all.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:38 am

I can’t say I’m missing it. Especially since our form over the final five months was disastrous. I don’t mind not losing every week being disappointed.
This far bigger crisis killed our negative momentum and I couldnt care less about all the previous crap form and negativity at the moment. I’m looking forward to getting back to football as it’s a sign we’re getting back to some normality - not really about the football.
Focusing on football now is a strange thing, but happy enough to start again in League One next season, but in some messed up way the clubs who had all the momentum before are probably the ones who will suffer most. They have to re-start getting that momentum again. I don’t think we’ll make the play-offs and not that bothered ( bigger things to worry about), but with a break and getting key players back fit we’ve got more of a chance to kick-start something with nothing to lose, in behind-closed doors games. If things had carried on we’d have been out of contention a long time ago and Lambert could have been sacked. Who knows after this, fans might just welcome getting out of the house and watching any kind of football, whatever ever the result and whatever division.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:03 pm

Not missing it in truth. Let's be clear about this we've been sh*t not only for the games played thus far since August but for some considerable time and this season was effectively over despite the vague idea of flirting with a promotion opportunity that wasn't going to happen. Kind of feels like the summer break with action returning in August. Don't know when games will resume although each country will have it's own agenda and intended return to action regards the pandemic issue. Read there's been training in Germany recently with the idea of the Bundesliga up and running again sometime soon although seems far fetched as once again the virus issue will see no quick fix solution.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:09 pm

Hi guys, hope you’re all doing well and not being snowed under by TikToks. Some are very good indeed but getting sent hundreds a day is a separate catastrophe in itself. Get to fk with the TikToks!

Re football..,,... missing Easter Road immensely, 30% for the football but 70% for missing my buddies, having a few beers and having chats and laughs. Although if some of those buddies keep sending TikToks, I’ll be moving seats when the season starts again.

And with you completely, Blue Wilf....... the “new normal” (although may be completely refreshing) scares me a bit. Not sure at all what lies ahead.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:36 pm

Well I’m certainly missing reading about Ipswich getting played off the park by League One teams! :D

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:52 pm

I missed it for the first weekend or two but it’s amazing how easily you can adapt to change. It’s why it’s so important to football clubs for fans to renew season tickets, if not they can easily get into the habit of not going.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:33 am

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:52 pm
I missed it for the first weekend or two but it’s amazing how easily you can adapt to change. It’s why it’s so important to football clubs for fans to renew season tickets, if not they can easily get into the habit of not going.
As crazy as that sounds Charnwood, I agree 100%

Just tonight, an ad came on TV and part of the ad had Mo Salah going through on goal to score a goal, the crowd were rising in anticipation etc etc......., and I said to the wife, "Oh yeah, football. Remember that?"

Both had a laugh but it's true. People NOT missing it could become a problem with "eventual" season ticket numbers when football returns.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:51 am

Have to say that yes it's no longer missed by me. More important things to worry about. I think this is one of the positives about this situation. It has forced us to think about what we do and why.

If I can so easily forget about football without the constant marketing and media and other 'reminders' maybe I don't need it and can put the time and money to better use.

Lots of thoughts like this are going through my mind at the moment and I hope the minds of many others.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:27 am

I am enjoying some of the old premiership highlights on Saturdays :D

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Fri May 08, 2020 2:28 pm

Ipswich, not so much. We get good coverage of Premier League over here, League One...not so much.

I am really finding that I am missing the everyday distraction of sports. As my daughter said, men don't have emotions we have sports instead. The MLS and MLB should be playing now, while the NHL should be in playoffs. I am really looking forward to those returning.

I do know, they have to get a vaccine or at least a drug combo that mitigates the effects of the disease, which it sounds like they are pretty far along with. If this screws up the NFL and college football, there will be riots over here!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri May 08, 2020 4:08 pm

Ohiotractorboy wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:28 pm
If this screws up the NFL and college football, there will be riots over here!
And quite right. This was Detroits year!

There is a reason I say that ^^^^ someone said on a forum years ago;
“The year Detroit win a SB will be the year something else big happens. Like a nuclear attack.”

I’ve always remembered that.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Fri May 08, 2020 6:52 pm

Ha! I think we could add the Browns to that, and they seem to be getting better too!