Cult players

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Cult players

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:02 pm

martiguesblue wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:25 am
Hi Charnwood ,

He was and he did , we also had Beattie, the original David Johnson in the England squad at that time

Mathie's hat-rick against Norwich is well remembered - Viljoens less so , and at Carrow Road.

Houghton, Barnard and Hunt were also in and around the team at that point.

Wow, I remember that game at Carrow Road it was 1968, I was 17 at the time and It was my first and only away trip on a Lambretta scooter and my first to an away derby match, and to make it all worthwhile we won 3-4. After the game we feared for our lives even with a huge police presence and struggled to get back to where we parked the scooters near the railway station. Oh how I wished we were on a train home as opposed to two wheels in the dark. I need to look it up, but wasn’t that the year Bill McGarry got us promoted to Div1 ?

That was a few before Keven Beattie and David Johnson, they both made their Town debuts in 1972, Beattie in the first game of the season against Manchester United and David Johnson a few games later v Leeds United. Then all three of them played for England under Don Revie in 1975 when Bobby Robson was building a great side at Portman Road. I think most of this is right but when I’ve finished rambling I’ll check my facts and edit as required.

martiguesblue

Post by martiguesblue » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:51 pm

I'm not sure that all three played in the same England team at the same time , Beattie and Johnson did - and if my memory serves me correctly ( it often doesn't ) both scored in the 5-1 win over Scotland in the old Home Championships.

I'd forgotten about Don Readies.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:04 pm

Your right Marti they never played in the same team together although all three were in the Revie’s Home International squad in 1975. As you say Beattie and Johnson played together v Scotland in May 75 when England won 5-1, both scored, Beattie the 2nd with a goal still ranked in England’s Top 50 goals and Johnson scored the 5th.
Also May 75, three days earlier Viljoen and Johnson played together in the match v Wales which ended 2-2. David Johnson scored both goals.

martiguesblue

Post by martiguesblue » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:36 pm

Apologies , i'm Steve , live in Martigues , also on the Med.

I remember The Sun's headline on the back page after the Welsh game , Wales 2 Ipswich 2 ( wish i kept it now )

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:27 pm

martiguesblue wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:36 pm

I remember The Sun's headline on the back page after the Welsh game , Wales 2 Ipswich 2 ( wish i kept it now )
Welcome to the Wolves Forum Steve, :wink:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:53 am

goldandblack wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:27 pm
martiguesblue wrote:

You’re pushing your luck there John, fuckin lucky Derek or Mach aren’t around. 😡🤯😤

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:57 am

martiguesblue wrote:

You’re only 600 miles north from me Steve, how long have you been living there ? possibly the only Town fan for miles ?.. I looked up where you are on Google Maps, the nearest I’ve been to your area is Petite Carmargue for a summer holiday in 1990. Nice part of France but we had a real problem with mosquitoes as I recall. We went there for a change after a succession of summers spent in St Tropez / Ramatuelle. We gradually moved further South until eventually crossing into Spain and falling in love with the Country and its people.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:07 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:53 am
goldandblack wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:27 pm
martiguesblue wrote:

You’re pushing your luck there John, fuckin lucky Derek or Mach aren’t around. 😡🤯😤
I actually miss there charm and humour, well they made me laugh :wink:

anyway im ready to welcome them back

martiguesblue

Post by martiguesblue » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:39 pm

G&B many thanks for your warm welcome - had it been a Wolves forum I would have gone with Kenny Hibbett.

Charnwood , have been here about 20 years, certainly no other town supporters here, though mention Ipswich to any French supporter and they almost immediately shoot back with Bobby Robson and that night in St.Etienne.

A number of years ago the FFF published a book on the
10 greatest matches on French soil, that match against Les Verts came in 4th.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:33 pm

martiguesblue wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:39 pm
G&B many thanks for your warm welcome - had it been a Wolves forum I would have gone with Kenny Hibbett.

Charnwood , have been here about 20 years, certainly no other town supporters here, though mention Ipswich to any French supporter and they almost immediately shoot back with Bobby Robson and that night in St.Etienne.

Your welcome Martiguesblue. and yes King Kenny is up there with the best down at the Mol.

martiguesblue

Post by martiguesblue » Sat May 02, 2020 3:38 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:33 pm
martiguesblue wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:39 pm

Your welcome Martiguesblue. and yes King Kenny is up there with the best down at the Mol.
His goal goal at Highbury in the mid- seventies remains a vivid memory- what a goal - class act full stop.