Marcus Evans or Mike Ashley ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Poll ended at Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:30 pm

1) Marcus Evans
47%
2) Mike Adhley
53%

Total votes: 15

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:27 pm

Mike Ashley is reported to be looking to acquire an EFL Club after the sale of Newcastle United completes. I’ve read today that he has a home somewhere in Suffolk and that ITFC fits his criteria.
Some fans have warned us to be careful what we wish for when calling for Marcus Evans to sell up and p*ss off.
Given the choice who would you prefer to own our football club ?
Assume no other choice.

nicscreamer

Re: Marcus Evans or Mike Ashley ?

Post by nicscreamer » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:56 pm

I’ve voted for Ashley, just because he might splash some initial cash and give us a boost. But to be honest, the bloke is a bit of a d*ck

martiguesblue

Post by martiguesblue » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:59 pm

Probably Ashley , Evans doesn't seem to have any enthusiasm or interest anymore - which for us does not bode well for future - as long as he doesn't bring Pardew and Wise , i'd rather have Morecombe and Wise ( and i'd have exhume them first ).

Failing that he may buy a few pints for travelling supporters.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:26 am

For some reason, I don’t have the same level of contempt for Ashley.

I know he’s hated by Newcastle fans, but I think Newcastle fans are a bit deluded. They think they have a god-given right to be in the top six. I think they should be more realistic and appreciate being a PL club. Ashley has pretty much delivered that. Whoever takes over that club better be prepared because the fans expectations are far too high.

I wouldn’t want Ashley and can’t say I trust him, but maybe he’s learnt a few lessons from his time at Newcastle. And Evans has obviously lost interest a long time ago.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:22 pm

Can't abide either in truth and there's little to no chance of Ashley ever taking control of this club. Bob Robson was treated unfairly towards the end of his Newcastle managerial tenure, the former would have been owner at the time and would have played a significant hand in it, only adds fuel to any animosity towards an individual.

Newcastle are supposed to be a big club but they haven't won nothing since what 1969 and even that was a now defunct European trophy, f*ck knows when the last domestic honor occurred you'd have to go back a decade earlier or something. Point being I know Ashley has been owner for some considerable time but what has he achieved in that duration. May have forwarded some substantial money to the cause but what came of it : a fall into the second league in the last ten years if memory serves. Once again discussion point seems immaterial as there's little to zero chance of ever seeing the name take command here. If forced to admit could it do any worse than Evans, hell I'd give it a go only for a damn change from the last 13 years of what we've had to endure. Being clear on the issue I'd want neither but Evans has simply by now proved to be too much.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:59 pm

saint jude wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:22 pm
Can't abide either in truth and there's little to no chance of Ashley ever taking control of this club. Bob Robson was treated unfairly towards the end of his Newcastle managerial tenure, the former would have been owner at the time and would have played a significant hand in it, only adds fuel to any animosity towards an individual.

Newcastle are supposed to be a big club but they haven't won nothing since what 1969 and even that was a now defunct European trophy, f*ck knows when the last domestic honor occurred you'd have to go back a decade earlier or something. Point being I know Ashley has been owner for some considerable time but what has he achieved in that duration. May have forwarded some substantial money to the cause but what came of it : a fall into the second league in the last ten years if memory serves. Once again discussion point seems immaterial as there's little to zero chance of ever seeing the name take command here. If forced to admit could it do any worse than Evans, hell I'd give it a go only for a damn change from the last 13 years of what we've had to endure. Being clear on the issue I'd want neither but Evans has simply by now proved to be too much.
Freddie Shepherd was the owner of Newcastle United who sacked Bobby Robson in 2004, a deed which proved to be his downfall. Mike Ashley wasn’t on the scene until 2007.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:36 am

There's a visual for you all, both took over in 2007 and there are comparisons between the clubs. I won't stand up and say I approve of the bloke or would particularly want him here, but Ashley hasn't harmed Newcastle and he's seemingly just made them the richest club in the world by some distance. Meanwhile, we've be staring at League 2 form and are lumped with what must be the worst squad of any of our lifetimes.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri May 01, 2020 11:15 am

Hello Boys I'm BACK :roll: I've voted for Ashley as its nearer to my post name, ASH :D, and quite honestly Mike Ashley has done a fair job for the Lads in his 13 year ownership, where as this F*****G Marcus Evans has been a complete d*ck head and couldn't organise a p*ss up in a brewery, absolute F*****G useless ghost owner, and the F*****G quicker we see his arse out of the Portman Road door the better, and if ASHLEY was to buy us out he can bring in Bruce as a manager, and let F*****G useless Lambert go.

Also I hope you all are well and obeying the lockdown ???? I just keep taking my mouth swill with bleach and CBD oil and drinking Brandy, :evil: if this F*****G Covid 19 virus wants to attack me its got one F*****G hell of a fight on its hands, :shock: I fear the wife more than this little bug, as she's bites back :lol: :lol: any ways you lot keep safe and keep fighting.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri May 01, 2020 12:49 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:15 am
Hello Boys I'm BACK :roll: I've voted for Ashley as its nearer to my post name, ASH :D, and quite honestly Mike Ashley has done a fair job for the Lads in his 13 year ownership, where as this F*****G Marcus Evans has been a complete d*ck head and couldn't organise a p*ss up in a brewery, absolute F*****G useless ghost owner, and the F*****G quicker we see his arse out of the Portman Road door the better, and if ASHLEY was to buy us out he can bring in Bruce as a manager, and let F*****G useless Lambert go.

Also I hope you all are well and obeying the lockdown ???? I just keep taking my mouth swill with bleach and CBD oil and drinking Brandy, :evil: if this F*****G Covid 19 virus wants to attack me its got one F*****G hell of a fight on its hands, :shock: I fear the wife more than this little bug, as she's bites back :lol: :lol: any ways you lot keep safe and keep fighting.
There, now i can justify my vote for MARcus Evans! :wink: :lol: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri May 01, 2020 2:16 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:49 pm
ashfordblue wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:15 am

There, now i can justify my vote for MARcus Evans! :wink: :lol: :lol:
UP THE MARKS
FK OFF THE MIKES! 👍

I fear an a$$ kickin from a certain Mike! :shock:

Missed you, Ash...... have a kiss through the mask! 😷 x

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Wed May 27, 2020 1:30 pm

I am a subscriber to Alex Griffin's channel on Youtube, and just saw his video on this from yesterday. He doesn't paint a pretty picture of Ashley, and he seems to be fair in his analysis.

I agree with him, the Sports Direct Portman Road Stadium and Extravaganza would seem a bit much. For what it is worth though, I did vote for Ashley since I haven't seen jack squat out of this squad under Evans' reign.

By the way, if anyone knows Alex or he is on this forum...love the channel. Big help over here in the States.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 27, 2020 6:20 pm

Yes we need change but Ashley would be no different to what we have now, yes we may see a little bit of initial improvement but it wouldn't be long before we would be bemoaning the same shortcomings, we need long term change and improvement not a short term fix, not the answer.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 27, 2020 6:37 pm

No one more than me wants to STOP bringing Covid19 into the threads but got to say...... after covid19, the long term fix is even further away over the horizon........ or at least further across the Plain for those feckin insane flat earthers!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed May 27, 2020 7:06 pm

I think sometimes you just get to a point where A CHANGE is needed, because things have simply gone stale for one reason or another. Id say we are at that point.

Perhaps a better poll would have been

Ashley
or
Redknap

both supposedly looking to buy a club whilst Clubs are relatively cheap as struggling in the Covid meltdown...of course if they are seriously both in for Town , then the winner will be Evans, who'll be able to command his price.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed May 27, 2020 7:14 pm

Ricco wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:36 am

There's a visual for you all, both took over in 2007 and there are comparisons between the clubs. I won't stand up and say I approve of the bloke or would particularly want him here, but Ashley hasn't harmed Newcastle and he's seemingly just made them the richest club in the world by some distance. Meanwhile, we've be staring at League 2 form and are lumped with what must be the worst squad of any of our lifetimes.
It would have been interesting to see the trend for both Clubs prior to takeover.... Evans The latter part of Evans' reign has definitely been a steady decline....corresponding to his of interest perhaps , or the impact of Clubs being relegated from PL with massive parachute money which he simply cannot compete with?

Ashley's reign has by and large been pretty stable...despite funding the Club to a significant amount. I think Newcastle's problem is their geography (Like ours)….no pansy footballer wants to live in the bitterly cold NE during the winter months, so they may have had problems getting the quality of player to go to the Club....we shall see what Mega Buck Newcastle can do now, when they promise to throw into a players deal a fleecy blanket and thermal gloves.

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Wed May 27, 2020 7:16 pm

TBH I've said it before and I'll say it again.
Evans has lost any interest in us now, FFP gives him the perfect excuse not to invest loads of money
And we owe him so much now he can never recover what he's put in.
We're locked together, neither of us can get out(Evans won't want to lose what he's invested)
And No-one will pay £140+ million for a club that doesn't even own its own stadium.
The only way I can see Ashley coming in at Town is if he buys 50% of the shares and gets the controlling stake.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu May 28, 2020 6:38 am

K L Blue wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:16 pm
Evans has lost any interest in us now, FFP gives him the perfect excuse not to invest loads of money
We're locked together, neither of us can get out(Evans won't want to lose what he's invested)
And No-one will pay £140+ million for a club that doesn't even own its own stadium.
The only way I can see Ashley coming in at Town is if he buys 50% of the shares and gets the controlling stake.
Mike Ashley? Why not, buys Town for 50 million Evans absorbs the rest of the debt Town in Premier League in 3 years. :shock: I think he will try and buy Sunderland that way he can p*ss the North East off in one go.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu May 28, 2020 7:44 am

K L Blue wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:16 pm
Have to say I feel we’re locked in together, too.

Can’t say I believe any of these rumours about Ashley. Isn’t he also involved with Rangers? If given the choice between Ashley and Redknapp, I’d pick Ashley. Redknapp’s far better at spending other people’s money where he can scuttle off when things go tits up.
I can’t see us being that attractive a proposition to buy with all that debt. The only other way out of the vicious cycle is to get a manager who can create something special out of very little. Based on last season or this season, Lambert seems to taking us backwards. And I feel we’re locked in with him, too. TBH... at this point in time, I’d just be happy for Town to be playing every week in front of fans with or without Lambert.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:57 am

I can’t see Mike Ashley being interested in a small town club like ours either, it somehow doesn’t fit with his profile. Whilst he may well invest in another club, I think it will more likely be in populous City with a larger fan base and most likely already in the Championship.

Our most likely new owner is Ed Sheeran but he’ll need to make a load more millions before he should even start thinking about it.

At least he loves our football club and would be a passionate owner and could possibly attract business partners to support any potential takeover.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:24 pm

Someone posted on FB that Evans is only looking for £35m for the Club, (if you say it quick , it doesn't sound so much does it lol). This would be small change to Ashley. But cant see why Evans would not want some of his losses recouped tbh .

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:49 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:24 pm
Someone posted on FB that Evans is only looking for £35m for the Club, (if you say it quick , it doesn't sound so much does it lol). This would be small change to Ashley. But cant see why Evans would not want some of his losses recouped tbh .
Accepting that big a loss can only mean one thing, Hallam ------> he's up to no good elsewhere.

He's selling imaginary Euro 2020 executive package deals.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:12 am

marko69 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:49 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:24 pm
Accepting that big a loss can only mean one thing, Hallam ------> he's up to no good elsewhere.

He's selling imaginary Euro 2020 executive package deals.
Not in Scotland he's not. :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:26 am

You don’t think Scotland can be at an imaginary tournament? We humped England 6-1 last night, ..... English goal CLEALY offside.
Iceland next. They’ll apparently be a piece of pi$$. We’ll see! :D

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:55 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:26 am
You don’t think Scotland can be at an imaginary tournament? We humped England 6-1 last night, ..... English goal CLEALY offside.
Iceland? Good job your not playing Sainsbury's :shock:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:12 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:55 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:26 am
Iceland? Good job your not playing Sainsbury's :shock:
Hahahahaha! Touché :lol: :lol: :lol: