On this day 1978

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

On this day 1978

Post by Charnwood » Fri May 08, 2020 9:19 am

I can’t believe we forgot to post this memorable day yesterday

https://www.facebook.com/26323504708685 ... 7977/?vh=e

AzzurroMark

Re: On this day 1978

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri May 08, 2020 12:15 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:19 am
I can’t believe we forgot to post this memorable day yesterday

https://www.facebook.com/26323504708685 ... 7977/?vh=e
It was days like this (but more so the UEFA cup win) which lead to me becoming a Norfolk-based Town supporter. I was only 8 at the time of our win at Wembley, in fairness i have very little recollection of whether i actually watched it. Sadly the only honours i actually feel i was truly a part of was the Play-off win in 2000. I do recall winning the old Div2 title in 92, but had only just started going to PR occasionally around then.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri May 08, 2020 2:20 pm

Lucky for me Mark I was at all the games you refer to live, the only downside to that is the 17yr age gap ☹️ and the prospect of a 70th birthday next.

Given how many different locations I lived at through my working life I was so lucky to be based in Colchester for almost all Bobby Robsons glory years at Portman Road getting my first Season Ticket in 1975/76.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri May 08, 2020 4:40 pm

Wasn't at the event, odd thing being were present at numerous other FA Cup Finals involving another team. I won't get to experience or be part of another Ipswich Cup winning side that's for sure , been that way for some considerable years. No semi-final appearance since '81, no venture beyond fifth round since 1993. No need to wade through statistics, been with it long enough to see progress - or lack of. Anyone under 30 years of age recall a significant run in the FA Cup competition involving this team, somehow you doubt it.

1978 was strange in regard team endeavors. Endured a by and large disappointing / ineffective league campaign and a 0 - 5 loss in the Charity Shield event. Kind of a lull between the great sides assembled in say '75 and '81.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri May 08, 2020 5:09 pm

That’s the first time I’ve ever seen a Celtic fan with a Union Jack as an avatar. :lol:

The day I started being a fan of Ipswich Town.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri May 08, 2020 6:39 pm

It was one of my best and most memorable days out ever Marko, although believe it or not the SF v WBA at Highbury was equally as emotional. For some reason both wins were in a different league to winning the UEFA Cup in Amsterdam, however some of that was probably due to the match being a bit of blur thanks to an excess of alcohol consumed throughout the day. If only those days could return.

martiguesblue

Post by martiguesblue » Wed May 13, 2020 2:49 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:39 pm
It was one of my best and most memorable days out ever Marko, although believe it or not the SF v WBA at Highbury was equally as emotional. For some reason both wins were in a different league to winning the UEFA Cup in Amsterdam, however some of that was probably due to the match being a bit of blur thanks to an excess of alcohol consumed throughout the day. If only those days could return.
Bitter sweet day for me , town winning was the sweet of course , the bitter for me was spending the affernoon and evening in Islingtion hospital having shrands and shreads of glass removed from my right inner forearm- i am embarrassed / pleased o say nothing whatsover to do with WBA - i tripped the pub witb 3 pints in my hands, i dont know to this day if i caught a step or a foot - covered a few in SKOL larger and a few more with spurts of blood

Talbot , Wilde snd myself shed blood that day - i wasn't on match of day, thougjh.